14
1.5k 1 96
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After school, I headed to the police station. If I didn't, they'd probably just come find me and that would end up being more stressful. 

The same woman sat at the desk as before and upon seeing my face she smiled, though it was more tired looking than before.

"Lexi," she greeted. "I'll get Officer LeBlanc."

I sat on the bench without saying anything, only giving her an acknowledging nod. My chest had that swarm-of-bats feeling again and I focused on my breathing, counting the breaths and their seconds until Officer LeBlanc showed up in the doorway.

I followed him back into his office.

"I'm sorry we had to meet again so soon, Lexi," he told me.

"It's okay," I said. Part of me felt numb. The other part continued to panic.

"So," he said once he sat down. "Let's talk about your experience in the asylum." 

I nodded quietly and sat down across from him.

"Do you feel safe?" He asked.

I nodded again.

"Okay, can you describe to me the night in question?" he asked.

I started to explain everything. I even let him know I wasn't alone, but I stated I wouldn't throw anybody under the bus. I described everything that I saw and heard. And he took copius notes throughout. My voice started to go hoarse by the end.

I left out everything after that night. As far as he knew, I hadn't returned to the asylum and had no idea who Scarlet was.

He listened quietly only asking occasional questions to clarify things.

At the end I swallowed around the rawness in my throat. 

He rubbed his face briefly. "Alright," he said. "Thank you for your time."

"Did you find the body?" I asked, meekly.

"Yes," he said. "It was a grisly scene. What you described about the sounds makes sense. It also looks like someone had been living there for a long time." 

I nodded. "So… are my friends safe?" I asked. "If this guy is running around out there free to do as they please?"

He looked down at me. "We've increased our patrols around the asylum but I have a feeling he's long gone. Otherwise we would've found him in there."

I let out a relieved sigh. They didn't expect to find Scarlet so they probably wouldn't look thoroughly.

"I'll walk you out," he said.

I accepted his offer, grateful to be out of there.

 

96