Chapter 1 – First Contact
3.7k 6 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

  In the darkness I suddenly feel a warm ray shine upon me, prompting me to open my eyes. I am greeted by clear blue skies and the sound of rustling trees. Realizing that I am on the laying on the ground I start to get up to take in my surroundings. There are trees scattered everywhere sparsely but the place that had most of my attention was a large wooden signpost, standing on the side of a crossroad; where a dirt road intersects one made of gravel.

I move to investigate the sign, but I feel a tug on my shoulder as well as weight on to the side of my hip. On my shoulder was a burlap sack strung onto me and on my hip was a standard double-edged sword you would expect to see in a game. I quickly unsheathe it a little to see it gleaming under the sun, confirming it was an iron sword. In my bag, I find an extra set of clothing with everything down to socks and underwear, a small purse filled with silver coins, and a thin hardcover book made of leather and papyrus paper. The title "Isekai Quick-start Guide" was engraved on the cover of the book.

"Nice"

I couldn't help but feel excited that I at least have something to go on after being put into an unfamiliar environment.

I quickly store all my belongings back it how it was except the book which I hold onto as I make my way towards the signpost. They are four different signs pointing to the four different directions down the two roads. As I try to read the weird symbols on the signs, I somehow instinctively know exactly what was written. I guess I really did get magic google translate in this world.

North - City of Arrowhald 15 km
East - Dungeon: Kinhelm's Embrace 2 km
South - City of Unatis 3 km
West - Dungeon: Greens Filth 5 km

I probably shouldn't take the risk and head to any of the dungeons until I get my learn more about them so my decision was easy as I followed the direction of the sign for the city of Unatis, walking down the gravel road.

I walk in a leisure pace trying to take in the scenery but quickly get bored staring at nothing but the gravel road and the trees surrounding it. I guess this is the perfect time to finally take a look at the book in my hands.

Surprisingly the book was written in English and not the languages of this world. I was absorbed into reading its contents as I make my following the road, occasionally taking short glances of my surroundings of course, else I may run into something dangerous without realizing.

From the book, I learned that magic was the foundation of everything for the people of this world. Besides the obvious role of magic for mages in combat, even the pure physical fighters depend on physical enhancement magic to fight. These physical magic are separated into different types just like the different elements for mages, split into strength, stamina, vitality, and dexterity.

While they are many different types of magic besides just the combat ones, people usually only focus on a handful of them in total as they require constant practice in order to improve or even remember how to properly execute it at all. People can see which magics they have learned by focusing on the word "Status" in their mind and a menu will show up. The magics are quantified into numeric levels, representing the proficiency with level 1 being the starting point with no known level cap.

"Status"

I quickly try it out by saying it out loud even though it wasn't needed but I just wanted to hurry and check it out.

 

Human Male
Age: 18

Magic Level:

Unique Magic:

Identify

 

I guess it doesn't show the names, well in any case should I even use my old name in this new world anyway? I contemplate for a moment, I wasn't the creative type that likes up to come up with new things but I think having a new name for a new beginning wouldn't be a bad idea. I don't really want to think too hard on this, I guess I will just use the name I always used in roleplay games. That decides it, from now on I'm going to be called Aster. Aster Estrea.

With my new name settled I look at my age showing 18. Sweet, back to being a teenager huh? No complaints here, as the saying goes "Kids want to grow up faster, and adults want to go back to being a kid."

I didn't expect to have any magic as I haven't learned anything yet, and like the quick-start guide had told me, I was given the unique magic "Identify" by the higher being who sent me here. Unique magics are apparently supposed to be magic that you are born with, usually belonging to certain races and have no numeric levels to them. Humans normally don't have any unique magic so I should probably keep this to myself.

While I was immersed in investigating the status screen, sounds of heavy footstep ring in my hear, sounds like a group of people too. I quickly dismiss the status screen with a thought and look toward the source of the footsteps, directly ahead where I'm walking towards. I squint my eyes see a group of people, some dressed with what seems to be chainmail, some with brownish armor which I presume to be leather armor, and some just wearing linen clothing. They each carried a different weapon; swords, short spears, bows, and daggers strapped onto them.

"...Fuck"

I hope I ain't in any deep shit, all I got is a sword that I'm not sure I can even properly use. It's too late to run or hide now since I was able to spot them, they surely would have done the same with me as well. I tell myself to stay cool and continue walking without changing my pace at all and keeping an expressionless face, it's important to look relaxed and not a person to be taken advantage of. I continue to walk keep my eyes straight ahead of me as I reach talking distance to this group of well-armed strangers that I now see they are six of them.

"Good day"

At the head of their ground, a burly man with black hair, unshaven beard, and looks to be a Caucasian man greets me along with a small nod that I can only dumbly nod back as they continue to walk right past me at a much faster pace than the leisurely me that seem like I was out for a stroll.

"...Phew"

I sigh in relief as I create some good distance from the group. I guess they are just an ordinary adventurer party that I have seen like novels and anime, out early in the morning to make their way to a dungeon.

With that little exciting first encounter I had in this world going positively for me, I pick up the pace and head towards the city that now close enough for me to make out the little figures of humanoid beings bustling through the gates, a busy city surrounded by what I presume to be ten-meter high stone walls.

I quickly count the number and kind of coins I had in my purse, and I found exactly 50 silver coins the size of a small ring. God did say it was enough for ten days, but I doubt this is much if I have to buy daily necessities and equipment if I want to check out the dungeons. I guess I'm gonna find ways to quickly earn some money if I want to have a livable environment, which I doubt would be cheap with the standards coming from my world.

I approach the gates and more and more people past me either on foot or on horse-drawn carriages, hurrying about their own business. Hundreds of people are moving orderly in and out of the gates with the people entering leaning towards my left, the people exiting the city coming out to my right, and in the middle are about a dozen of armored soldiers keeping order and inspecting the people passing by. On the walls I see a few sentries scattered about, looking out of the city while chatting with their comrades beside them that are also similarly keeping a lookout in a different direction.

I guess the security here isn't as bad as I thought, while I proceed to walk through the gate with my expressionless face, looking straight forward. To my surprise, the guards didn't bother me at all after giving me a brief glance, and no one asked for a toll fee for passing through.

I walk along the main street which was orderly and clean, and just like at the gate, people moved orderly towards the side of the road while occasional carriages passed through the middle. They are a lot of people and it reminded me of Asian metropolitan cities in my previous world as both had considerable pedestrian traffic hurrying about their lives.

I see many signboards at the entrance to many different buildings, some made of stone and some of wood. These signboards have nothing written on them, instead each having a detailed painting illustrating their crafts. I saw some with a beautiful bouquet of flowers, some with a needle and spindle, and some with hammer and anvil. Each signboard had its own flair to it, each being unique. I guess that is how they differentiate themselves from their competitors.

I quickly scan the different inns I come across and judge their quality by the exterior look of the building, and the types of people entering and exiting. The inns were easy to find as they had two signboards hanging out from above their doorways, with one depicting a mug of ale, and the other being a bed. I decide on one that was decently big with five stories, and judging from their patrons, their main target audience were traveling peddlers and small merchants, which seem about to be a mid-tiered establishment to me. This one seems about right, the other ones where I see adventurer looking types looks too rough for me, and I bet wouldn't be able to handle living in those types after being spoilt by modern society. Even if it is going to cost a bit more, I think it will be worth it.

"Welcome, how may I help you?"

I make my way into the inn and see a middle-aged lady behind a counter smiling at me while she greets me with a slight bow.

I take this chance to try out my unique magic "Identify" as it has a range of 5 meters and requires me to focus on the target for a few seconds to bring up their status screen.

 

Human Female
Age: 46

Magic Level:

  Water Lv. 2
  Wind Lv. 2
  Stamina Lv. 1

Unique Magic: 

I guess she wouldn't have high levels as a non-combatant living in town and it only shows magic. It doesn't show skills in crafts like sewing and cleaning, guess Identify has its own limitations.

"...Umm, I would like to stay at this inn and was wondering how much per night?

The lady smiles slightly deeper and replies in a business-like manner.

"It would be 4 silvers, 50 coppers per night without meals, 5 silvers with breakfast and dinner included. Drinks aside from water aren't included though and will cost you extra, both options will include a bucket of hot water and towels every day whenever you require, and a small magic light with a magic crystal each night that can power the light for 1 hour."

I guess she gives that pitch multiple times on a daily basis as expected, seeing how practiced it sounded.

"I'll take the option with meals please"

The lady quickly grabs a room key from the counter and hands it to me.

"Here you go, room 307. just give the key to the person at this counter when you are head out and state your name and room number when you are retrieving it when you come back. Oh, which means I am going to need your name if you would please kindly tell me."
"...Aster Estrea"

"Thank you, that will be 5 silvers"

I hand over the coins and start making my way up the stairs behind the counter, passing by the lady while she bows slightly to me.

"Thank you for choosing to stay with us, I hope you will enjoy your stay. If you need anything just feel free to ask me or any of the staff on duty."

I quickly find my room, the second last room in the corridor and enter after unlocking it with the key in my hand. A simple bed, a desk and chair, and a closet with a small cabinet to store clothes, not bad from a fantasy world I would have to say. There was surprisingly also a washroom within the room which just consist of a simple wooden toilet and a basin to store water to wash and flush.

 

Finally, I get some time to rest in a shelter suitable for people. I take a moment to relax as I lay down on the pleasant soft bed as I start to think about what I should to next. I'm really glad I didn't have to fight right after being thrown into this situation like in the stories I've seen, I should really find a way to defend myself as soon as possible but I just don't have enough information about this world.

I guess I'll go through the quick-start guide again to see if I missed anything before I plan my next move. But before that, a small nap is in order as I close my eyes to rest my mind.

27