J. Janet. Jamison
452 0 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kasumi's video slowly but surely built up traction. Several lesser known news networks talked about the video and brought out video captured by their journalists from the day of the attack, attempting to discredit the bigger networks by showing their journalists forcing their way in and pestering the students. One such network is known as Daily Trumpet.

They're not known for being the most trustworthy, with their old founder having turned them into a network with the sole purpose of discrediting heroes with spider attributes.

But, that was in the past. The old owner passed away and his granddaughter took over the company. Now, they were known for being relatively impartial with their coverage, and telling mainly truths. Every now and then they would release something that showed bias, but not very often.

In an old-style office, a young woman with short brown hair, red lips, and a typical secretary outfit was working on a relatively advanced computer. She's quite beautiful, she brushes her bands out of her face and takes a long drag from her cigarette before opening her eyes. Her irises look like camera shutters, adjusting themselves to allow her to see her screen clearly.

As she finishes typing, a ding sounds from her phone sitting on the desk.

[Sunfish: Jamison-sama! Look up Mystic Oni on YouTube and watch her most recent video! It's a student in class 1-A of UA! I smell a good hit-piece!]

[Me: Alright, Hajime. But, if it leads to nothing you're on news chopper duty.]

[Sunfish: Heh! For once I'm not worried!]

'What's got that sunfish bastard up in a huff?'

She opens YouTube up on her computer and types "Mystic Oni" in the search bar. It loads instantly and pulls up a channel with 20k subscribers with a profile picture of a girl wearing a pink oni half-mask. She goes to the channel and sees several old home videos of the girl in question uploaded with timestamps as the titles. Then, the top one has a thumbnail of just the young girl's face while talking.

She clicks the video and starts it. She giggles at the fact the girl didn't edit out the part of her sitting, but continues on watching. The video goes on to explain how the problem with the villains wasn't exactly the fault of the teachers, and instead pins the blame on the news outlets and their ruthless method of getting a scoop.

This brings a smile to Janet Jamison's face as she gets her phone and types,

[Me: Oi, get in here.]

[Sunfish: Yes!]

In seconds, her office door opens and a man with a face similar to a sunfish walks in.

"D-did the video-"

She cuts him off and starts talking with no breaks,

"Hurry up and get the entire team working on a hit piece I want you to find who we sent to UA on that day and get their footage and edit it to make us be seen in a good light I want any footage of the villain and the other journalists pestering students cut out anything that may paint us in a bad light and make piece on the video and upload it TODAY!"

Sunfish-man has steam coming off the top of his head as he slowly lowers his phone that was recording what she said so he can relisten to it later. Janet gets angry at him and shouts,

"NOW!"

It startles him back to the land of the living and blows the smoke off his head,

"Y-YES!"

Janet smiles to herself and takes a drag of her cigarette,

"Hoooo, young girl, thank you so much! I should try interviewing her!"

—-------------------

The girl in question however, was currently in her new training spot in the giant park near her house. She's recently stopped with the whole boulder training and has moved on to training her fighting. She remembered when she was really mad, she shaped the mystic energy into a sword and cut captain handjob's arm off. She shapes the energy around her arm again and attempts to shape it. She envisions a spear, and slowly the hand starts to morph into a point, but it's not complete. Its lumpy, dull, and most of all the point is rounded. Then it hits her…

Literally, a bug flew into the side of her head. The bug falls down as the girl it ran into is much more sturdy than average. She looks at the stunned bug and sees its mandibles have a sharp point at the tips. She envisions the mandibles with her eyes closed for a second, and quickly forms a rough pain of mandibles around her hands.

"Ah! That's it! I've never seen a spear before, except in movies! Maybe I should ask dad to buy me weapons to study… But why was I able to when I was mad?"

She thinks for a second and tries several other weapons. First an axe. She gets the rough shape down, but once again is unable to form the blades properly. She then tries a mace, which is rather easy because no matter how badly shaped it is, it's still a mace. Then a sword, and she finds herself unable to replicate the shape she made before.

"Ugh! Why is this so hard!"

She eventually gives up on the sword after a few more tries before giving up.

Then, she tries making a knife. Surprisingly, she finds herself making a near replica of a switchblade out of the energy. She makes the energy go into her hand instead of being in front of it and holds it. The energy is completely solid, and by cutting into a tree, she finds that the knife is incredibly sharp! It's weird though, she feels slightly afraid of the switchblade and is completely confused as to how exactly she's able to make it.

She makes the knife disappear and decides to stop with the energy shaping for today. She takes out her phone and goes to YouTube, ignoring her own channel since she doesn't expect any views to be on it.

She brings up a boxing tutorial and watches it to the end. It's just basics, but it's good enough for her until the school starts teaching these.

She copies the stance the instructor took, left side forward, feet shoulder width apart, and hands up in front of her face, elbows guarding her chest. She jabs forward with her left hand twice and then follows up with a right hook.

It feels almost natural to her… As if she's been doing it for months. Then, an idea comes to her.

She takes the stances once again and coats her hand with the energy, sending them a few feet in front of herself.  Then, she throws the two jabs and the last hook. When the hook reaches its target she envisioned, she makes it burst like a claymore towards the imaginary target. The tree several feet away from where she punch caves in slightly, sending splinters showering the area nearby.

Kasumi looks at the damage she caused with wide eyes. Slowly, a smile creeps along her face and she pumps her fist.

"THAT FELT AMAZING!"

Kasumi continues her punches for several hours, trying to perfect the combo. After she's done, She heads home to eat dinner, before she spots herself on TV…

"..."

"WHAT?!"

--------------------------------

24