Chapter 20-Third Prince’s Birthday Party Part 1
1.9k 5 73
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mika walked out of the Zoller Estate with her mouth agape as she looked at the outside world. 

Mika felt like she had entered an entirely different world as soon as she stepped out of the Zoller Estate. 

The crisp air, a chilling breeze, and a vast landscape of mountains as far as the eye can see. 

Mika did not know that their family lived on top of a mountain.

“...Beautiful.”

That was the only word that came to mind as she looked at the scene in front of her.

“I know, right? This scene never ceases to amaze me. Living in these mountains is part of the reason I love being a Zoller so much.”

Cain replied when he heard Mika speak.

Mika wanted to ask more questions but knew now wasn’t the time. She can always ask her questions when they get back.

They dragged Mika along to what she could only assume to be a carriage. Though it looked nothing like the carriages she was used to. 

She’s never seen such a contraption before!

“...What is that?” Mika asked while pointing her finger at it.

“That’s a car, Mika. A flying car. But we normally call it a car.”

Elizabeth said, and Mika just tilted her head. She’d never heard of a car before, but hearing it could fly excited her.

“Oooooh!”

Mika was both afraid and excited at the possibility of flying. What human wouldn’t? The notion of flying through the air has been the dream of humans since ancient times, and she’s not an exception! 

As they stepped into the vehicle, her family didn’t know about her thoughts.

Suddenly, she heard a robotic voice that sounded oddly similar to the System’s notifications ring out as soon as they entered.

“Destination?”

“The King’s Palace,” Cain said.

“Affirmative. Destination set, King’s Palace.”

*Swoosh!*

The vehicle then shot off the ground and started flying! Mika couldn’t believe it! They were really flying through the air right now!

Mika scooted over and looked out the window.

“Woah! We’re so high up!” She exclaimed.

She could only see the mountains below, the clouds around, and the sky above. Everything looked like tiny little ants below her!

Mika wanted to ask her family how this was possible, but she probably wouldn’t understand anything even if she had asked. So she just attributed it to magic for now.

“Alright, Mika! I know this is your first time in a car, but we need to review how you will act in front of royalty.” 

Elizabeth turned Mika away from the window.

Mika froze in place, and a chill ran down her spine.

“...NO! Why?! We studied enough beforehand!” 

“Because you’re a little troublemaker, that’s why!”

“...”

Mika had nothing to say against that. She knew she had a very one-track mind…

‘But still…! How can this woman quiz me inside this flying car?!’ Mika felt indignant about this whole situation, but there was no escaping her Mother, especially not here.

Elizabeth spent the rest of the car ride lecturing Mika about how she should act in front of others, but the girl was so busy looking out the window that she barely registered what her Mother said.

Around 30 minutes later, the car slowed down and lowered enough that Mika wasn’t only seeing a blur anymore. She could now spot the things around her, but what she saw left her mouth agape.

“...Holy-!” Mika covered her mouth in a hurry, as she almost cursed in front of her family, but she couldn’t help it.

A city the likes of which she’s never seen or even thought possible was below her. The buildings were so tall that they reached the sky. There were flying cars everywhere. In fact, there were so many that Mika felt like she had entered another world. The entire city was lit up as if it was in a perpetual state of daylight.

An enormous transparent dome around the entire city, and most of all, there were people everywhere! Looking down from the sky, Mika almost mistook them for ants!

She didn’t even know so many people could live in a city! Most of the towns and villages she passed through in her past life usually only had a few hundred to a few thousand people in them. 

However, from just a brief glance, Mika could see tens of times that amount without trying!

Every building had glass windows and was made of metal, shocking her even more.

She lived in a time when only privileged people had houses two stories or taller and glass windows. Even the rich seldom used glass windows. As for metal houses? That was never even a question that the people of her era considered! 

Stone and wood were the primary resources used to build houses.

This was too much of a culture shock that Mika could only stare at everything with a blank expression.

She already knew everything would be different in this world, but she thought there would be some similarities, but it seems she’s been too naïve. Humanity has advanced farther than she ever thought possible. 

However, although Mika didn’t know how to digest this revelation, she knew one thing. She definitely wouldn’t like this new society. As a loner who loved training in solitude more than human interactions, more people meant more trouble.

There was one saving grace: she was born into the Zoller Family, who lived in the mountains, far away from society.

‘At least there won’t be a shortage of opponents.’ Mika tried to think optimistically.

In the distance, Mika noticed a floating island with a magnificent castle on it. She might be behind the times, but she wasn’t completely ignorant. Castles, no matter which era, were a symbol of power. 

It didn’t take a genius to understand that this was the King’s castle.

Seeing how shocked Mika was, Cain gave her a brief introduction to the city.

“This is the Capital City of Elysium, Avalon. It’s by far the most technologically advanced city in Elysium. As you’ve probably already noticed, the Royal Family also lives in this city, in that floating castle. To be honest, I’m not the biggest fan of this city. There are too many people.”

Mika nodded in understanding because she already didn’t like this place. Too much was happening here.

“...Are all the cities like this?” 

Mika asked, hoping that was the case.

“Hahaha! I see you are just like your father and prefer our little mountain house. But unfortunately, yes, most cities in the country are like this. Maybe not to this extreme, and there are definitely exceptions, but most major cities in Elysium will be like Avalon.”

This answer disappointed Mika. She lowered her head and became a little depressed that the society she was used to was long gone. 

However, when she thought of the mountain house her family lived in, her mood brightened a bit, and she stopped thinking about this.

Nobody spoke for the rest of the trip, but the atmosphere grew solemn the closer they got to the castle. 

Now that she thought about it, why was her entire family showing up for some kid’s birthday party? She can understand her parents attending, but not her siblings. So, Mika decided to ask.

“... Why are you all coming to this birthday party? I thought I was the only one invited.”

The atmosphere visibly relaxed as her family began chuckling at her question. 

“This whole thing is really just an excuse for most, if not all, of the Nobles in Elysium to come together in one location in an informal setting. Your Father and I will greet and interact with some other Nobles and maybe even the King. While we’re busy with the King, the kids will interact with one another, hoping to make a connection. The Third Prince probably already had his actual Birthday Party with his friends and family before this.”

Now Mika was even more confused.

“...How old is the Third Prince?”

“I believe he just turned five years old.”

Some things started clicking in Mika’s brain, but she still didn’t completely understand why her brothers and sister were coming to this birthday party. Why didn’t the Royal Family call it a get-together? Or a meeting? It’s not like anybody would say no to the Royal Family.

Elizabeth saw her confusion and chuckled. “That’s just how politics are, Dear. It could be seen as traitorous if all the Nobles were to get together without inviting the King. Thus, the Royal Family plans events like these every so often.”

Mika nodded, but she didn’t care too much. She’s never been one for politics, and she never will.

She just wanted to get this over with so she could go back home and get back to her training.

A few minutes later, the car entered the floating island and landed near the entrance of the Palace. 

“Alright, let’s get this over with,” Cain muttered as the car doors opened. 

Mika’s family exited the car, with Elizabeth holding Mika in her arms as they had planned earlier. Right then, a butler showed up, entered the car, and drove off with it. 

Mika didn’t understand what had just happened, but her family didn’t seem too concerned, so she assumed it was normal.

Another butler showed up soon after that one, except this one was there to guide them.

“Good evening, Mister and Missus Zoller. We are glad you could make it to the Third Prince’s Birthday Party tonight. Please allow me to lead the way to the venue.”

The butler bowed, and Cain just nodded indifferently. The butler then led them to where the party was being held.

Mika looked around in awe as she had never been inside a castle this majestic. 

A few minutes later, the butler brought them to a large banquet hall where there were a bunch of standing tables with various foods and drinks on each table. 

Mika also noticed how this massive banquet hall was already full of people, and by god! Everyone here is super attractive! Even the fat people were still good-looking! 

‘It seems technology wasn’t the only thing that advanced.’ Mika mused.

Suddenly, the butler that escorted them announced their arrival. 

“Announcing the arrival of Duke Cain Zoller, his wife, Duchess Elizabeth Zoller, and her children Adam Zoller, Nathan Zoller, Olivia Zoller, and Mika Zoller!”

73