Ch.27
2.1k 5 81
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Matt Pov)

After eating and drinking a bit, Ivar called Alice and me to a small stage they placed under the large tree in the center of this field. The few clan members who were playing various instruments stopped to give Ivar and us the stage. They were using speakers that were loud enough to hear for the non-shifters, but not loud enough to hurt the shifters' hearing.

"Everyone, as you know this is my grandson Matthew and his mate Alice. This feast is to welcome them to the clan officially. It is also for me to announce, when Matthew is ready for the title of the clan leader, it is ready for him to take. He may have not been raised among us or know much about our customs, but according to clan law when a member unlocks the polar bear they must be considered the forerunner for clan leader. Unless he does not want it or someone more fit to lead us is decided by the council of elders, he is the next clan leader," Ivar says to the clan and it would seem most neither cared or were ok with this decision. Though there looked to be a few disgruntled people in the large crowd.

'I'm not sure if I want this responsibility of clan leader, it is something I have to think about more. Though for now, I'm leaning toward not accepting it,' I think to myself hearing the official statement from my grandfather. Then Ivar hands me the microphone to introduce myself to the clan officially, wish he told me this and I could prepare a speech or anything.

"As my grandfather said I'm Matthew and this is my mate Alice, I know we have met many of you already if not all of you. I will be honest, I'm not sure if I want the clan head title, but will consider it for the time being as long as you want me to be. Either way, while I'm still here for the summer I want to learn as much as I can about our clan and Sweden in general. I hope you all enjoy the rest of the night," I say while handing back the microphone to the people who were playing the music and everyone jumped back into partying.

"You're not forced into taking the clan head, if you don't want it your Aunt Eva is next in line. Though like you, she doesn't necessarily want that responsibility but will take it if needed," Ivar says to me after we leave the stage and head back over to the large table where the other elders are.

"I know, but I'm still learning everything about the clan, and after learning the truth about my parents…. I'm not sure how to feel about the clan," I say to him and he sighs but nods in understanding.

"Take all the time you need. After the non-shifters leave, we need you to show the elders and other shifters your bear form. That way they can see you truly have the polar bear. The extra form can be kept a secret for now if you wish, it is up to you to show them or not, I told them nothing about it," Ivar says to me as we approach the table, but whispers the last part for only me to hear even with everyones' enhanced hearing.

"You met the family line earlier, but you haven't met the elders, this is Gustav the family head for black bears, and Morfar (grandfather) of the twins. They were headed over to the clan meeting area at the time," Ivar says introducing me to clan heads.

(We already went over the other clan heads in the last couple of chapters, but a reminder is, Inga for the pandas, Aron for the sloth bears, and Alma for the sun bears.)

They were all nice and shook our hands in greeting, but held hidden malice when greeting Alice. It would seem Gustav and Inga hold the most hatred for her and me since I was her mate. Though were very good at hiding their emotions, but after getting to know Jasper he has taught me to read people better. Looking at Alice I can tell she knows they don't like her, but doesn't seem all that bothered by it, she already had thick skin. However, after hanging with Ingegärd, my grandmother became even less caring about what people think about her if they are someone she doesn't care for.

After the party was over around eleven, at least for the non-shifters. The rest of us waited around until they left and after they all they there were only about twenty shifters in the clan so far. Then Ivar got everyone's attention, so he could speak without interruptions.

"Well now we all know why we are here, Matt could you please show everyone your bear form," Ivar says to me after everyone stopped doing what they were doing and looked at me with great interest.

Nodding I walk a bit away from everyone. This time turning into my werebear form, it takes about ten seconds which seems the quickest it will turn, no matter how many times I turn to quicken it. After turning I can see everyone, except Gustav and Inga, are excited at seeing my werebear form. Gustav seems indifferent, but I can see the hatred in his eyes directed at me. Inga seems to have jealousy in her eyes as she sees me in this form.

"Who put the runes on him? Was it you Ingegärd or did he learn how to make them that quickly and expertly?" Aron the elder of the Sloth bears asks while looking at me with excitement.

"No, they were already on him when he turned," a voice that I recognize now and have not seen in weeks, my Aunt Eva. She comes over walking through the woods to us.

"Why are you here?" I ask her before anyone could follow up hearing what she said making everyone who didn't know even more surprised and excited.

"Not happy to see your Aunt? That's hurtful," Eva says giving me a fake hurt look, though I can tell she knows she is one of the few people in the clan that Alice and I trust.

"Then let me give you a 'bear hug'," I say to her rushing over to her and smirking, making her freeze up and her face goes to fear.

"MATT! I was just kidding, damn," Eva says jumping away and dodging me, though with my speed I could have caught her, but didn't.

"Matt, knock it off," Alice says laughing at our interaction and jumping on my shoulders. Now everyone can be seen laughing at our interaction, well except for the two grumpy elders.

"Matt I want to see how strong you are, let's fight!" Astrid says looking at me with excitement and battle lust.

"Astrid you idiot, first of all, we may be the second strongest line after the brown bears. But the polar bears are a whole other level, especially one blessed by the All-Father himself," Vera says smacking her daughter on the back of the head and sighing at her battle-crazy attitude.

Out of the family lines, black bears were the most aggressive and battle crazy, while also being the most agile. Brown bears are known for their strength, Pandas are known for their healing ability, Sloth bears are known for their endurance, and Sun bears are known for their tracking ability since their sense of smell and hearing were three times as strong as the others. While Polar bears are the rarest since they have all the qualities of the lines in one and much higher defense.

(I'm not using actual facts on bears, this is not based on reality so just remember that. Also strongest to weakest lines according to the family goes like this: First Polar Bears, Brown Bears, Black Bears, Panda Bears, Sloth Bears, and finally last Sun bears.)

"If you are up for it was can test your abilities at the clan training field," Ivar says to me as I'm still in my werebear form.

"Sure, I want to see what they compare to everyone else anyway," I say to them and everyone nods in excitement.

"Ok everyone, clan training session tomorrow morning at the training grounds. Everyone should try to attend, other than the elders since we still have much to discuss," Ivar says to everyone, and they all nod in agreement. Shifting back we all head to our family's houses to rest for the night.

"I heard my parents told you the truth about your father. I'm sorry I didn't tell you, but….. I felt it was their place to tell you," Eva says to me as we are walking back to the house.

"I understand...though I want to find those who killed them and take revenge. However, after learning some things about myself…..well, I'm not sure if that is the wisest thing for me to do," I say to her sighing at the war going on inside me and Alice gives me a concerned look as I talk.

"If you want to know their location, you would have to ask my father or one of the elders. I would tell you as I want revenge also, but only my father and the elders know where they are. They won't tell anyone since they don't want people to hunt them down, as they were given their 'judgment' already," Eva says with some venom in her voice at the end.

"Is that why you don't live with the clan and are reluctant about the clan head title?" I ask her as we walk.

"Yes, because even if I or you also probably, they will not tell us and take it to their graves. I already asked my father if I would be told about it if I took over and he said 'Since you seek death and vengeance, you will not be told.', after that, I left to be the CEO of the bank," Eva says having an annoyed look on the past conversation it seems.

"Well if I find out the location, I'll let you know and we can take our revenge," I say to her feeling her need to take revenge inspiring me to also feel that way. Hearing what I said made Alice look at us with even more concern, but not speak against it.

Getting back to the house, Alice and I head to our room. After I lay down on the bed and wait for her to cuddle up next to me, she instead sits on top of me. At first, I thought it was gonna be a fun night, but seeing the look of concern on her face it would seem not.

"Matt, I will stand by you no matter what you do in life, just as you will stand by me. But after what you told me about your vision and how you're having an internal war, do you think vengeance is a good idea?" Alice says looking down at me in concern.

"I....I'm not sure. Though I want to avenge my parents and maybe this will give me closure or bring the two sides together," I say to her with heavy uncertainty in my voice.

"Then let's do this if you think it will help. Though I fear it may make the internal war inside you worse or make one side win...we don't want one side to win right?" Alice says lying down on my chest but lifts her head to look at me with concern at the last question.

".....Yes.....we don't want one side to win, but equilibrium like that man suggested," I say to her sighing thinking about what she said.

"Try to get some rest my teddy bear, since you have to show off tomorrow," Alice says trying to lift the mood and gives me a quick but passionate kiss.

81