Act 2 Chapter 5
108 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I'm fully surrounded by darkness and warmth. It feels like I'm back in mother's womb, protected from the outside world. No, this is my AT-field, but noises and pushes from the outside are signs that my white cotton Eva will break down soon. Inside here there is no LCL, air became stuffy, so soon I will be ejected.

"Oi, if you are trying to make me feel guilty, you should drop that idea." angel(not) gives me last push and retreats to the table.

"It's me, who should complain about current state of things. So much paperwork waits for me...And it's all because of you"

Provoked by sudden accusation, I get my head out from the blanket.

"Haa?! Is it some lame joke?"

"Why are you so surprised? Just look at this mess you have created." she shows me two cords, or I should say tubes(?) which look like they have been chewed by a beast.

"These cuties are... no , they were newest rectal probes with ultraHD cameras. Do you know how long I have waited for them ? Four months. And I don't want to mention all that bureaucratic shit I had to get trough."

"As if you don't like to dig in shit..." I murmur.

"What did you say ?" Janice squints her eyes.

"Nothing"

We look at each other for some time, but in the end she gives up and pulls some paper sheets from inside the table.

"Two reports for higher ups, one report for medical institute, and who knows how much for supply department. All of them hand-written. Add to this the paperwork about your health. Boy, I honestly think you owe me ."

"After what you have done to me , I owe you nothing."

She shrugs her shoulders at my words

"Pain is unavoidable , suffering from that pain - is your own choice. I just do my work. Moreover, you brought it to yourself, that I had to use my old trusty titanium spreader.Now be quiet and don't distract me."

Recalling my recent memories, now I understand how Janice got all these muscles.

As she writes something down we keep our silence. Around fifteen minutes later she puts her pen under her nose, leans back on the chair and looks at the ceiling. I wait for her to say something, but it looks like she forgot about me.

"Miss Janice?"

No reaction.

"Hello? Earth calls to Janice..."

Still nothing.

"JANICE !!!"

She flinches at my shout and her pen falls down.

"What ?" she gets back her composure after picking up her writing tool.

"Um, sorry for yelling... Can you tell me, what will happen to me next ?"

"Weeeel , in one word , what awaits for you is quarantine. Boys , come in !"

Two soldiers which have been waiting outside the room come inside.

"Willy , lead him to the showers then put him in ward 1408 . Billy , get him some clothes please. Medium size will do. Well then act alone instructions, about that you know better than me what to do. Now shoo, shoo. See you guys tomorrow."

As Janice waves her hand at us, soldiers follow her commands and lead me outside.

After short walk along corridor we stopped before blue door and one of the soldiers says.

"Go , you've got half a hour."

Behind the door there is shower room with four cubicles . On the left side  there are installed built-in washbasins with mirrors on the wall. Other space inside che room is filled with shelves.

As I am alone inside I don't feel shy and take off leftovers of my clothes and put them directly inside trash bin. Then I go to the leftmost cubicle and take a shower.

With water raining down on me I feel like fatigue kicks in. I don't take much time inside and go out to look at myself in the mirror. Finally, I can see my new face.

I look like european, my hair is thick and of dirty blond color. My face is oval , and somewhat with sharp features. I can't say much about my eyes , except that they are green. Oh , there is small scar on the edge of my left brow.

I'm not ugly for sure, but I don't know if I can be considered handsome. If someone may ask why , it has nothing to do with perception of beauty in this world as I have no information about that.

My Answer is somewhat quirky , because it stems from my unresonable beliefs. If you, as a man, can say that another man's face is handsome (and I should mention that I'm not at all accustomed to my new face) then congratulations. Your chances to represent G in movement with longest abbreviature that is known to me goes up. 

So yeah , I'm just not ugly.

Remembering Janice's words, I turn around and try to look at my back. Well , she indeed didnt lie to me . There is big "7" between my shoulderblades. Who am I? I'm bad at dribbling , so I am not Garrincha for sure.

My musings are interrupted by knocking on the door. Then without waiting for my answer one of the soldiers enters inside, gives me clothes and goes out without saying anything. Yeah, disregarding of privacy is in full bloom.

Anyway , I put on my new clothes, which appears to be a patient garb and slippers. I go outside and soldiers convoy me to my new dwelling with "1408" on the door.

She said it was a ward , but looking at the interior, it is some kind of prison cell , with just a bed , a toilet  and a washbasin inside. She got me this time. Whatever, I'm too tired mentally to whine about situation and just go to the bed to sleep. 

Finally , this longest day of my life comes to an end. 

3