Chapter Two: Take Flight
20 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Oh what terrible, terrible news,” Montgomery muttered over and over, pacing down the small cozy living room, a newspaper in hand. Hero watched his grandpa with confusion, his mouth filled with beef stew and rice. “What's terrible?” The old man stopped pacing around and faced his grandson. His face had turned pale as his eyes widened larger than the saucers pan sitting on the table. He quickly took a seat on the cushion in front of the short table. He then lifted his left hand to his side, prompting a thick brown book to land in it. “You've heard about the tales of the grand witch of fate, right?” The young boy nodded his head, his head tilting to the side as to why she was being bought up. “That's simply a children's story. One that scares them to sleep.” His grandpa nodded, placing the book down on the table and opening it. The very first page was a sketch of Nyxia looking scarier than usual. Hero's eyes scanned the page, his hands moving towards his mouth to stuff it again. “Don't get any food on the book,” Montgomery warned the lad. “This woman isn't just a fable anymore,” he placed the newspaper on the table.

Hero's face drained from color. On the front page was Cloudcrest island seeming to drop from the sky, with a small box image of Nyxia in the left-hand corner. “What on earth happened?” The boy exclaimed, dropping his spoon and lifting the newspaper. “The king of Cloudcrest has fallen from the sky.” His grandpa repeated the title of the article. “I know that old man. I mean how?” His grandpa ushered for him to calm down as he was going to start explaining. “In Aera, sky islands are kept afloat by the gods using magic orbs. The same orbs that help fuel our aircraft.” Hero's eyes widened even more, a small gasp escaping his mouth. “She's able to do that!?” Montgomery nodded. “She's amazing.” The young boy complemented, in awe. This earned him a glare from the old man. “What does she need all those orbs for?” Montgomery could only think of one reason, the Oswald 8000. The aircraft is big enough to be the new Aera. An aircraft big enough to dub you the new God. Hero watched as his grandpa thought to himself, an expression of horror coating his face. This had to be really bad,

He had lived with the old man his entire life. His parents, although alive, had taken a job that required them to be across the world. Montgomery had taught Hero all he needed to know about engineering, magic, and combat. He taught the boy how to survive in this harsh world. Yet, this was the same old man who would shut down any talk about adventure or traveling the world. Every time Hero brought up the idea of venturing out and exploring the world, his old man would rant about how dangerous it was. He was sixteen now. An age where he needed to start being independent. That's why, in the last few weeks, he had planned out his trip. He had finished repairing the legendary Pegasus 3000 aircraft. The same aircraft that his old man took when he explored the world when he was younger. His essentials were aboard the skyship, readily waiting for him there. Montgomery snapped out of his thoughts and looked back at his grandson, who had a weird determined look on his face. This was the face of someone who had trouble up their sleeve.

-----------------------------------------------------------
The sound of crickets filled Hero's room, who was pacing up and down. The beautiful purple of the night sky was mesmerizing, and the young boy found himself getting lost in it. He knew he had to leave, it was now or never after all. His eyes wandered to his black wolfdog who was staring at him intensely. “You wanna come, don't you floppy?” His dog barked, causing Hero to panic. “Shhhhh, we don't need you waking up the old man.” He gently reprimanded. Floppy whimpered as an apology. Hero grabbed the last bag he needed, filled with books and an outdated map. He placed his hand on the window and opened it wide. He then bent down to place a leash on Floppy's collar. “You ready, boy?” The dog nodded. They hopped at the window, landing on the grass with a heavy thud. Hero then pushed the window shut from the outside. He should be safe as his grandpa lay asleep in the living room. Behind the windmill house, a ten-meter walk from it was a large garage housing the Pegasus. Floppy and the young boy started running, a rush of excitement coursing through them. The full blue moon illuminated their pathway so beautifully, helping them see better.

Once they reached the humungous garage, Hero took the key out of his fur-collared jacket and opened the large door. His eyes sparkled once again with how beautiful the skyship was. The turquoise and orange sails down to the gold railings. The beautiful dark blue and black exterior was mesmerizing. However, it was the large golden wings on its side and the golden horse head on the front of the ship. The friends walked further inside, and entered the aircraft, ready to get down to some business. He placed his bag on the deck and headed towards the control center, the helm of the ship. The door was opened wide enough for the aircraft to exit. Hero pressed the blue button that started the aircraft, and his hand then clasped the steering wheel. The skyship started to move into hoovering position, blue light emitting from the bottom of the aircraft. His blood started to pump, he was truly doing this. Floppy sat on one of the many bags, his eyes staring up at his best friend. The young boy continued to steer cautiously, successfully exiting the garage and into the open field.

By this point, the loud noise that came from the skyship had woken up his grandpa. He had the Pegasus go higher until he was 60 feet up in the air. He spotted his wide-eyed, mortified grandpa running towards them. “YOU SNOT-NOSED, MONKEY-FACED, FROG-LEGGED IMBECILE!!!” Hero yelled back a string of apologies before adding that he needed to spread his wings. “I can't stay cooped up here on Woolcity, I need to spread my wings!” His grandpa sat and watched his grandson speak, getting teary-eyed. His selfishness of not wanting to be alone had to come to an end now. He put on a brave front and then stood in a saluting stance, which Hero copied. With one final good, teary look at each other, they saluted each other. “I promise to write now and then.” Montgomery nodded, waving one last farewell to both Hero and Floppy.

They had taken flight.

1