Prologue
5k 19 156
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

November 18, 2028

a2262016-165f-4cff-80c1-807484c5a2ae

The stage was a dazzling spectacle, bathed in the soft glow of colored lights and a radiant LED display that seemed to pulse in time with the audience's heartbeat. Enormous screens displayed the game's action for all to see.

 

A panel of casters provided live commentary, their voices filled with excitement and expertise, narrating the unfolding drama in the game. The crowd hung on their every word, erupting into cheers or groans in response to the game's twists and turns.

 

The sponsors' banners adorned the arena, their logos glowing brightly. Vendors in the concourse area sold merchandise, and the scent of freshly popped popcorn and sizzling hot dogs wafted through the air. Gamers of all ages, clad in jerseys and gaming gear, mingled with one another, discussing strategies, sharing stories, and celebrating their shared passion.

 

"It's over, folks! Yuusha has done the impossible! Snatching victory from the jaws of defeat! A 1v3!"

"And with that, we have our very first champion of the Andartha's Cup, team Paragons!"

 

Like a tidal wave of enthusiasm, the crowd's collective roar surged through the air and reverberated throughout the whole venue. The floor vibrates, resonating with the thunderous applause of thousands of fervent fans.

"And now, for the interview with our newly crowned champions!" the announcer exclaimed enthusiastically.

 

After a brief period of waiting for the winner's interview, the crowd began to sense that something was amiss. There appeared to be a technical difficulty or some other unforeseen issue, leaving everyone in suspense.

 

"Oops, sorry, folks! We've just received word from the staff that their star player logged out right after the final game. Any thoughts on that, partner?" the announcer asked his co-caster.
 
 
"Hmm... Perhaps she had something important to attend to, or maybe she just wanted to avoid the interview. Given her skill in dodging, it looks like we won't be hearing from her today," the caster joked, attempting to maintain a festive atmosphere.

 

The crowd expressed their disappointment with a chorus of jeers upon hearing the news. However, the experienced casters swiftly redirected the attention to the rest of the Paragons' team.

 

"Hahaha, I understand what you mean, Doc. For now, we'll have to make do with interviews from the other members of the Paragons' team. It seems that Yuusha may have some personal matters to attend to, so she left after the match. There was never a rule stating that one could avoid the post-match interview and championship ceremony."

 

"So, let me get this straight. She entered the tournament, emerged as the champion, defeated the best CoA players, and proceeded as if it was all in a day's work?!” the announcer expressed his incredulity.

 

“I don’t want to take credit from her teammates since it's impossible to win the Andartha's Cup alone, but she does make it look easy the way she plays today. However, I hope they change the rules to make the tournament mandatory for players to attend LAN next time instead of online, considering our huge fanbase. Don't you agree, crowd!?” the caster hyped.

“Yeeaaaahhh!” The crowd roared in response.

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

 

September 1, 2031

 

Ring* Ring* Ring*

 

I woke up to the sound of my phone alarm ringing. I reached out to the small table beside my bed, where I usually put it. It was still too early. I had two hours before my class. I turned off the alarm and went back to sleep.

 

...

...

...

...

 

My phone rang again, waking me up from my peaceful nap, albeit with a different tune.

 

"What is it this time," I pondered irritably.

 

With sleepy eyes, I glanced at my phone and immediately straightened my posture upon seeing my mom's name on the screen. It was likely she was calling to check if I was getting ready for school. The mere thought of potentially receiving a scolding from her jolted me awake as if a bucket of cold water had been poured over me. Without hesitation, I answered the call.

 

"Honey, have you finished preparing for school? It's your first day at the university, and I will be very upset if you're late again," she asked, her tone filled with concern.

 

"I-I'm almost done getting ready," I replied, my voice still groggy from sleep. 

 

Uh-oh... This isn't good; my dry and croaking voice probably gave away the fact that I had just woken up.

 

"Katherine Katyusha, I swear if you don't get out of bed this instant..." my mom's voice turned cold and intimidating, a clear indication of her growing frustration.

 

How was she even so sure that I was still in bed? Her tone of voice sent chills down my spine. The chilling tone of her voice sent a shiver down my very core, pushing me to immediately jump out of bed.

 

"I'm already awake! L-let's not be too hasty, Mom," I said in a placating tone, trying to diffuse the tension.

 

She let out a sigh, clearly exasperated.

 

"Honestly, you really need to break the habit of staying up late at night. It's your first day of college, and you would have been late if I hadn't woken you up again. I worry about you living alone in that apartment," she expressed with genuine concern in her voice.

 

"I'm fine now, Mom. I'm old enough to take care of myself. I'm going to get ready for school now. Bye! Love ya!" I hastily said, eager to end the call before it transitioned into a lengthy scolding session that would inevitably make me late for my first class.

 

I swiftly hung up, ensuring that I wouldn't be further delayed by my mother's words. After a series of morning stretches, I promptly took a refreshing shower to invigorate my senses.

 

Once I had dried off with a towel, I positioned myself in front of the mirror to change into my chosen outfit. Before me stood the familiar image of a 5'9" tall girl with luscious black hair. The piercing sharpness of my ocean blue eyes and the pale complexion of my skin resulting from limited exposure to sunlight were noticeable features. My nose, resembling a smooth marble structure, added a touch of elegance to my mature appearance. I have a well-toned figure and a moderate bust if i do say so myself, although I wish it were a little bit bigger...
 

74816d4b-e9c1-4d14-b7f1-c37b62cec939

 

After dressing in my casual attire and brushing my shoulder-length black hair to ensure a polished appearance, I made my way to the small kitchen in my apartment to prepare breakfast. Deciding on bacon and eggs, I appreciated the simplicity and satisfaction that this classic meal provided.

 

Placing the freshly cooked breakfast on the dining table, I called out in a moderately audible voice, "T.V. on."
 
 
The television immediately switched on in response to my voice command. Reflecting on the convenience of modern technology, I settled in to watch the news and current events on the channel. Since I didn't have any specific program in mind, I enjoyed my meal while listening to the news anchor's voice.

"In other news, the prize pool for the popular VR MMORPG Champions of Andartha's yearly tournament, also known as Andartha's Cup, was revealed. It has yet again surpassed the record for the highest prize pool in a single tournament in the history of e-sports. The current prize pool is a whopping 48 million dollars for the whole tournament!" the newscaster exclaimed.

94fca52d-4931-4cd6-8791-5db61f3f96c5

"They've really outdone themselves once again," I murmured quietly to myself.

 

In recent times, the soaring popularity of e-sports has elevated it to a level comparable to traditional sports. It's become quite common to see e-sports making headlines in the news, especially with tournaments boasting substantial prize pools. This is a marked improvement from the past, when there was debate about whether e-sports could be considered a "real" sport. It's a significant development for both gamers and gaming enthusiasts, which I think is a good thing for the gaming industry as a whole.

 

"But that's not my concern anymore," I said solemnly, feeling a sense of detachment.

After finishing my breakfast, I put the plates and utensils in the sink for me to wash later. I brushed my teeth and did my final preparations before going out the door and pressing the button on the elevator in the hallway. I reside on the 8th floor of the building, so walking down would be pretty tiring.

 

After a short wait, the elevator doors opened, revealing four individuals already inside. The space was a bit cramped, but there wasn't much that could be done about it. It was a bustling morning, and most people were making their way to work or school at this time of day.
 


"Excuse me," I politely said as I stepped into the elevator, squeezing in among the other passengers.
 


As the elevator doors closed, I patiently waited for it to reach the ground floor, trying my best to stifle any yawns that crept up.
 


Upon reaching my desired floor, I briskly walked towards the exit of the high-rise apartment complex. On the way, I passed by the building's security guard, who offered a quick morning greeting. I reciprocated with a friendly response before making my way to the underground station situated just around the corner.
 


My parents had chosen this apartment complex for its secure environment and convenient proximity to the train station on a safe street. Though their protectiveness sometimes felt excessive, I understood that it came from a place of love and concern for my well-being, like any caring parent.
 


As the station filled with the rush hour crowd, I was relieved to see that there were more than ten payment terminals available, offsetting the large number of commuters. With my phone in hand, I quickly scanned it against the terminal, prompting an instant deduction from my account after a confirmation message appeared.

I don't carry any wallets since they have become obsolete nowadays due to the ease of mobile payments. It's also harder to steal your money as it needs confirmation from you when transferring money to another account.... unless, of course, they cut off your finger to use it for the fingerprint lock and brutally torture you to use your voice to bypass security.

Passing through the terminal and onto the railway platform, I could hear the sound of the approaching bullet train. Boarding the somewhat crowded train, I found a seat and reflected on what the first day of my college life had in store for me.

156