Chapter 10: Lisbeth knows her priorities
120 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
"Is this it?" Rah'asu said as she stopped in front of a small manor.
 
The manor was a simple rectangular building that was two stories tall and was more long than wide. The walls were wood and plaster and the roof made of wooden shingles. The yard had a cobblestone path that looked like it surrounded the manor. On the side of the cobblestones nearest to the stone wall that surrounded the property were small trees, bushes, and other plants. The side nearest the house looked like it was mostly flowers, some of which were blooming. 
 
"I think so?" Andrew guessed.
 
"I'll knock on the gate." Insu smiled and walked towards a small iron gate that blocked their entry onto the property. There was a loud bang bang bang as Insu knocked his fist on the gate harder than he probably needed to.
 
Shimeirin hopes Lisbeth isn't home. Shimeirin was anxious and uncomfortable.
 
I know how you feel but if she knows where Isaac is it might be worth it. Hopefully.
 
The front door of the manor opened and the smallest adult from Calorin he had seen exited. It was a woman with medium length brown hair, tanned skin, and what Andrew could only describe as a French maid uniform. Her features also reminded him of someone with dwarfism only if they were of a normal height.
 
"Yes?" The woman said as she scanned Andrew's group. "Do you need something of Lady Lisbeth?"
 
"Can you tell her that Andrew is here to see her?" Andrew's heart began to race. Meeting Lisbeth was happening.
 
The maid looked surprised. "Andrew!? Uh, yes... Lady Lisbeth mentioned someone with that name might come."
 
"Is that a good or a bad thing?" Insu said as he tried to stick his head through the bars of the gate.
 
"I think it was good news as she said to let you in if you ever came." The maid didn't look nervous so Andrew didn't feel much more worried. The maid looked at Insu, "Sir, please don't do that, you could get your head stuck inside."
 
"Let him." Rah'asu said with a smirk, "I want to get a good laugh."
 
Ooh, Shimeirin thinks we should help him.
 
Andrew chuckled a little. I think it would be funny too, but I'd end up being the one to get him out. 
 
Shimeirin's mood changed. Can we not see Lisbeth? Shimeirin has a bad feeling.
 
I do too. I do too. But... I want to try.
 
The maid opened the gate. Insu stepped away just before she did. "This way." The maid gestured towards the door and then bowed.
 
The inside of the house was very plain. They were in a small entryway and Andrew could only see a single simple wood chair near the far door. To the left and right were a set of small doors, both closed. Andrew had expected something more fancy with Lisbeth being the owner of the manor.
 
"Not much here." Rah'asu spoke Andrew's thought.
 
"I don't know." Insu sat on the chair. "This is more than some Kin have."
 
"We've only just moved in." The maid glanced at Insu with a look of worry.
 
She heard him say Kin. Andrew wondered if the maid would tell Lisbeth.
 
Do you think she will do anything? Shimeirin had something else to worry about now.
 
Probably tell Lisbeth, but if Eric could tell Insu and Rah'asu are kin Lisbeth probably can too. Maybe we should leave them here... Andrew thought that was a good idea.
 
"Is it all right if my companions stay here while I talk to Lisbeth?" Andrew asked the maid.
 
The maid glanced at Insu again, "Certainly. Now," she opened the far door, "please follow me. Lady Lisbeth is in her Viewing Room."
 
"I want to go too." Insu looked upset.
 
"If Andrew wants us to stay we should." Rah'asu looked at Andrew. 
 
Andrew nodded and passed through the door.
 
The room Andrew entered was a long room. It was bare but had two long tables, each with six chairs each. To the left and right just behind Andrew were two small doors that probably led to the same rooms the doors in the entryway led to. On the far wall was a single, large door. In the far right corner there were stairs that led to the second floor, a door at the top.
 
The maid led Andrew to the stairs and opened the door when they reached the top. On the other side of the door was a short hallway, maybe a quarter the length of the room below. There was a window on the right, a door halfway down the hallway on the left, and a door at the end.
 
The maid walked to the far door and stopped.
 
"This is the Viewing Room. I will let Lady Lisbeth know you are here." The maid bowed and quickly entered the room, shutting the door behind her. Andrew only caught an instant of the Viewing Room but didn't see Lisbeth.
 
Ready Shimeirin? Andrew knew the answer just from her feelings.
 
Shimeirin is ready. Shimeirin knows this is important. 
 
Sorry. Andrew could feel all the stress this was causing her.
 
Andrew heard some muffled voices. Silence. Finally, the door opened, and the maid held it.
 
"Lady Lisbeth says she's excited to see you." The maid looked flustered and worried.
 
"Thank you." Andrew stepped through the door.
 
The maid exited the room and closed it behind her.
 
"Andrew." Came a familiar voice. It sent chills down his spine.
 
Andrew saw Lisbeth to his right. She was lounging on a long couch next to a large window. She was only wearing a loose robe. 
 
"Hi Lisbeth." Andrew hoped his worry didn't come out in his voice.
 
"I hope you don't mind standing." She was giving Andrew an unnerving smile. It was much like he remembered, but there was something more off-putting about it. "I spent a lot of my money just on the house and..." she glanced out the window, "a few toys."
 
Andrew approached the window and looked outside. It was a small courtyard. Compared to the front of the manor there weren't as many plants as neighboring buildings that blocked a lot of the light surrounded the courtyard. It didn't matter. The courtyard served a different purpose. It was a small training ground and there were ten men doing various sparring or training exercises. They were all nude.
 
"These... are your toys?" Andrew slowly looked to Lisbeth.
 
Lisbeth laughed. "You men are always fantasizing about your harems of naked women, so I did the opposite and got my harem of hot naked men." Lisbeth glanced out the window with a look of lust in her eyes.
 
Please don't look outside again, Andrew. Shimeirin was very embarrassed.
 
You've seen me naked plenty of times. Andrew agreed with Shimeirin not to look outside again.
 
Well... Shimeirin became even more embarrassed.
 
"They aren't just for me to look at..." Lisbeth appeared to be remembering something, "I plan on using them to kill the Shifters to get more bounties. Getting to see their bulging muscles while they train is just a bonus."
 
"Can we talk about something else?" Andrew was very uncomfortable.
 
"Are you sure? I haven't told you how I reward them yet." Lisbeth looked at them with lust.
 
"I think I know enough." Andrew said.
 
Lisbeth turned back to Andrew. "So... Andrew. Where have you been? You know I missed you." 
 
"Sure." Andrew didn't believe she missed him for a second. 
 
"Oh Andrew, I never hated you. More... pity." Lisbeth paused, "And I knew how you felt about my relationship with Isaac. I didn't hold it against you, you were right." Lisbeth held that unnerving smile.
 
"Where IS Isaac now, anyway? The guards told me he disappeared after you broke up." Andrew finally asked the important question.
 
Lisbeth's smile cracked. "I honestly don't know. I've been too busy killing Shifters for the money and..." Lisbeth stood up and approached Andrew. "You have absorbed no life yet have you. I can feel how weak you are." Lisbeth stood close to Andrew, "So easy to kill you." Her eyes began to look wild. "I wonder, I've never tried absorbing the life of a Terran."
 
Andrew stepped back a step. "I'd rather not find out."
 
Lisbeth laughed. "How many people do you think I've killed? Tens? Hundreds? Thousands! First it was just prisoners. When I got stronger, it was bandits. Then to the forests where I killed Shifters by the hundreds. Many, foxes, deer, rats, squirrels... Andrew, you don't know the pleasure of absorbing the life of another! I can break rocks just by squeezing them. Jump over trees! Heal wounds in seconds that would kill a normal person." Lisbeth walked over to the window. "Maybe I should go down there, I'm fine with nine men..."
 
Can we leave now Andrew? Shimeirin felt sick.
 
"Lisbeth." Andrew didn't want to hear any more of this either. Sorry Shimeirin, just a bit longer.
 
Lisbeth looked to Andrew with pity. "You always were so kind-hearted Andrew. Or was it you are just scared? Scared if you make someone angry that they will hurt you? Scared that they will hate you?" Lisbeth looked back out the window. "If you want to get ahead in life, you need to take charge of others. Sometimes you need to lie. Sometimes you need to hurt them. The world isn't fair. If you don't walk over others, they will walk over you."
 
Andrew's anger overshadowed his disgust. "So Isaac was one of your steps? You walked over him and me? For what?"
 
Lisbeth turned back to Andrew. "Do I really need to explain that to you? I thought you already had me figured out. Use one of the best looking, gullible guys to help me move up in the world. Isaac may have been gullible, but he was still pretty smart. Destined for a good school, later a good job. If not, I find another man." Lisbeth looked back out the window. "Now, now I have power. Power and slaves that I can do what I want with. Isaac, he did what you are probably thinking of telling me. 'This power shouldn't be abused. We shouldn't kill just to strengthen ourselves.'"
 
Andrew shook his head. "I'm not here to preach to you, Lisbeth. I already had a feeling things would be this way with you."
 
Lisbeth sat down on her couch. "Oh, so why did you come? Going to beg me for help? See if I know where Isaac is?"
 
Andrew already knew the answer but asked anyway, "I want to find Isaac but I also wanted to know if there was any way to get back to Earth."
 
Lisbeth sighed. "I might have an idea where Isaac is." She smiled slightly, "There are rumors about a vigilante at night." Lisbeth shook her head, "Even calls himself Batman."
 
Despite his anger, Andrew smiled. "Yeah, that's probably Isaac."
 
Bat Man? Shimeirin was confused.
 
Uh, a story about a man that fights bad people. I'll tell you more about him later.
 
"Andrew." Lisbeth looked him in the eyes. "I don't care what happens to you and, unless you become less boring, I don't want to see you again. Well... if you find a way back to Earth I might be interested."
 
Andrew became concerned. "And do what? Go back and use your power over there?"
 
Lisbeth smiled. "Slave!" she yelled.
 
The door almost immediately opened, and the maid entered the room. "Yes, Lady Lisbeth?"
 
"Take Andrew to the street and don't let him in if he comes back." Lisbeth smiled at Andrew.
 
Andrew headed for the door. I'm not coming back anyway, Lisbeth.
 
Shimeirin felt relieved.
 
"That wasn't very long." Insu said when Andrew exited the front door of the manor. He hadn't turned to Andrew and was watching the street with interest.
 
"How did things go?" Rah'asu turned from the road and studied Andrew.
 
"Lisbeth is about as bad as I expected." Andrew sighed. "She doesn't seem to know a way back to Earth but was sure Isaac is still in the city."
Rah'asu sighed. "So we still need to look more." 
 
"I don't mind." Insu looked fascinated with the bustling of the city. "I want to see as much of this place as I can. So many people."
 
"Lisbeth gave me a clue that should make things much easier." Andrew told them with a smile. "Says he fights bad people at night and calls himself Batman."
 
Batman? "Batman?" Shimeirin and Insu said in unison.
 
Andrew realized he had said it in English. Oh right, I forgot Lisbeth's choker let me hear her speak in English and Shimeirin hear it in Kin.
 
Batman? Shimeirin said in Kin.
 
Andrew didn't know the word for 'bat' but the last word was 'man' so he figured it was right. "Batman." Andrew repeated the word in Kin.
 
"Batman?" Rah'asu looked unsure of what to think of the name.
 
"I like it." Insu looked to Andrew with a grin. "I wonder if he turns into a bat?"
 
Rah'asu rolled her eyes. "The Winged Kin are the only kin that can fly so unless Terrans have learned how to transform I doubt it."
 
Insu turned to Andrew. "Shimeirin. Turn Andrew into a bat."
 
I wonder... Andrew had never thought about if Shimeirin could transform him.
 
Shimeirin can't. Shimeirin just knows somehow that Shimeirin can't. Shimeirin was very disappointed.
 
"Sorry Insu." Andrew shrugged. "But even if I could, I wouldn't want to be a bat."
 
Insu nodded. "Yeah, a tree would be much better."
 
Andrew and Rah'asu both looked at Insu like he was crazy.
 
"Why a tree?" Rah'asu asked.
 
"Because they get to just sit around all day and no one cares. I'd plant myself in a nice bright place that gets plenty of water and bask in the sun, sleep through the winter, and grow pretty blossoms in the spring." Insu said with a dreamy look on his face.
 
"You realize trees can't talk and you love talking..." Rah'asu spun to Andrew, "Shimeirin, please turn Insu into a tree."
 
But Shimeirin likes Insu the way he is... it still amused Shimeirin.
 
"Sorry Rah'asu, Insu." Was all Andrew said.
 
Rah'asu turned to Insu. "So, you enjoy being lazy more than talking. I'll have to remember that."
 
The look on Insu's face showed that he realized he had made a mistake.
 
Andrew laughed. "Let's go find a place to eat and tonight we can go hunt for Batman."
 
***
 
"We're out of money." Andrew announced as he paid for their travel supplies.
 
"I think we should join this Batman." Insu said again. "We can take money from the bad men and use that for food."
 
"We already said we would think about it." Rah'asu shook her head and sighed. "But first we are going back to the gate and bringing the Spider Kin in."
 
"If they're even there." Andrew said. I hope they aren't.
 
Shimeirin thinks they will. Shimeirin seemed to not care either way to Andrew's surprise.
 
Probably. I bet they've been following us the whole time.  Andrew recalled all the times he had checked behind him on the trip to the capital to see if anyone was following them.
 
"They will be." Rah'asu seemed certain.
 
Insu finished stuffing the bread Andrew had just bought into his backpack. "Back to the gate?"
 
Andrew nodded. "Yep."
 
Thankfully, there were no issues reaching the gate or passing through. It wasn't until they were about ten minutes out of the city they stopped.
 
"OK." Rah'asu said as she motioned for the group to stop. She then started a simple dance.
 
"Whoa." Insu said as he watched Rah'asu's awkward dance.
 
Shimeirin wonders when Rah'asu learned this. Shame. Rah'asu isn't very good.
 
No, she isn't. It's not like she has been practicing. We would have noticed. Andrew had never seen Rah'asu alone with the Spider Kin, although it was possible she learned the dance while he and Insu were sleeping.
 
"When did you learn that?" Insu asked when Rah'asu stopped dancing.
 
Rah'asu was blushing. "It's a dance my Kin learn when we are young. I thought the Spider Kin might recognize it."
 
"You aren't very good." Insu said and laughed.
 
"I'd like to see you try a dance you haven't done since you were a child!" Rah'asu yelled and stormed off.
 
Do you think they saw it? Shimeirin wondered.
 
Maybe? I bet they were at least watching the gate and followed us here. If they even followed us to the capital. Andrew bet on that they had been.
 
"Insu, why don't you try dancing too?" Andrew said with a grin.
 
"Oh no. It will make Rah'asu feel better if I embarrass myself like that too." Insu said then glanced towards Rah'asu to see if she had heard.
 
"No need." A man said as he appeared from behind a nearby field. "We were wondering if you would keep your promise."
 
Rah'asu ran back to Insu and Andrew as soon as the man appeared. "We weren't certain if you had followed us this far."
 
Five more men appeared from the fields on both sides of the road. 
 
"Shall we go? We won't bother you once you get us past the gates." He turned to Andrew. "I assume you can get us past or else you wouldn't have come."
 
"Uh, yes. The guards don't seem to check Terrans or whoever comes with them." Andrew hoped.
 
"You are certain?" The man studied Andrew.
 
"They let Rah'asu and Insu by with no issues." Andrew hoped they would let a bigger group through.
 
"Lead the way." The man and the others with him took a step behind Andrew.
 
Andrew studied them. They looked almost like soldiers. Each had a spear and simple leather armor. They were all heavily muscled and Andrew felt that he was making a huge mistake bringing them inside the city, even if they weren't Spider Kin. "Let's go." Andrew hoped nothing bad would happed. Think I'm making a huge mistake?
 
Shimeirin isn't sure.
 
The walk to the gate felt much longer than when they had left and as they got closer Andrew broke out in a nervous sweat. When the first guard glanced at him, Andrew did his best to look like he didn't want the guards to bother him. Several other guards glanced at him, some to his companions.
 
What looked like a captain approached him. "Greeting Lord Terran. Are these your men?" The captain gestured to the group of Spider Kin.
 
"Uh... yes, we are traveling from the forests to the west and want to rest as soon as possible." Andrew struggled with what to say.
 
Go! Go! Andrew! Shimeirin was even more nervous than Andrew was.
 
"I understand. But first..." The guard started to turn away.
 
Andrew's heart thumped harder. He had to stop whatever the captain would do. "My uh... men and I. They've been walking for weeks and... uh... have been without lady company for a while. I want to reward them and let them rest as soon as possible." Andrew instinctively reached out to the captain.
 
The captain jumped back and his hand went to his sword. The Spider Kin also tensed but didn't ready their weapons. "Lord Terran." The captain took his hand off his sword but kept his distance. "For groups this large, and armed, we must check them. Arguing here will only make your men wait longer."
 
"I see. So you you don't trust me and my men? We braved forests full of Kin and this is the thanks we get? You think we are so stupid to come here and cause trouble?" Andrew turned to the Spider Kin. "Go through, I'll take care of this."
 
The Spider Kin nodded and with Insu and Rah'asu began walking through the gate.
 
"Is it fine if I stay and take care of business? We wouldn't want to cause a scene here, would you?" Andrew turned back to the captain before he could say anything.
 
The captain looked angry. "I will bring this incident up with my superiors. Lord...?"
 
"Eric." Andrew hoped the captain didn't know who Eric was.
 
A look of recognition in the captain's eyes. "Ah yes, I've heard of your accomplishments Lord Eric. But don't let that make you think you can break the law whenever you feel like it. Now..."
 
Andrew spent the next few minutes making up stuff mixed with truth. By the time he finished the Spider Kin were gone.
 
"They left as soon as they made it past the gate." Rah'asu said and glanced around nervously.
 
"Didn't even say thanks." Insu shrugged.
 
"Well..." Andrew shrugged. He was glad he had fulfilled his promise to the Spider Kin although he was sure he would see them again somehow. "I guess we hunt the Batman now." Andrew was ready to do something more important to him.
 
"Where will we even look?" Rah'asu said.
 
"Some place poor?" Andrew wasn't sure. "We could ask around?"
 
Insu hopped up and down. "I'll do that!"
 
Rah'asu shook her head. "I will count how many people you upset."
 
Shimeirin thinks everyone will like Insu. She seemed certain.
 
I'm sure there will be people that like him. Others... not. Andrew looked forward to Insu's efforts. "Insu can talk to the people and I'll talk to the guards."
 
Rah'asu nodded. "I'll stay with Insu to make sure... things go well."
 
"Let's go!" Insu ran towards a man digging through trash between some buildings.
 
"Good luck!" Andrew told Rah'asu.
 
Rah'asu sighed and then followed Insu.
 
We can talk to the guards later. I want to watch this. Andrew began to follow the other two.
 
0