Chapter 34 – Catgirl hears story about the catgirl hero
837 4 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

You and Lizz have been asking around for more information regarding Nightingale DeathWhizkersz, but so far, no one was able to give you the full answer. Everyone knows that the flower is named after her, and the fact that she fought and died during the tragic event many years ago. But the thing you really want to know is why that flower? And… why is there a word “waltz” in a nightingale's waltz?

“Felicia, I think we have been asking the wrong people,” Lizz voices her opinion. “I don’t think the young generation knows that much about history…”

True… 

This is also a sad thing that happened in your previous life. Young people often find history classes to be boring and have no motivation to learn about it. And honestly, you were guilty of this too.

“Yeah, we should ask the senior citizens nya…”

Fortunately, it doesn’t take really long to find one. Near the river, there is an old human lady sitting alone on the bench, watching the peaceful and beautiful scenery. Seems like she is in a good mood. 

“Mrs Eva, good morning!” Lizz quickly comes and says hi.

“Oh, isn’t it Lilia? How are you doing?” the lady greets back. “And… who is this mysterious young lady?”

“I’m doing great, Mrs Eva. And this is Felicia. She is my friend and just moved here recently.” Lizz replies.

“Hi, I’m Felicia nya,” you then introduce yourself. “Nice to meet you, Mrs Eva. Please forgive me for wearing a mask nya.”  

“Oh, no worries!” the lady says. “So you are a newcomer? How great! Merton East is just a small town, but it is a lovely town. I hope that you will enjoy your time here.”

“Yes, I’m loving this place nya!”   

You then sit down next to her to chat more. The lady is really nice and friendly. But more importantly, you are very impressed by how popular Lizz is with the town people. She just moved here not long ago, yet she has already made many connections!

However, knowing her, of course! Everyone loves a young and cute and caring catgirl! 

Back to the main topic. You now ask questions about Nightingale.

Hearing that, Eva takes out the nightingale’s waltz that she recently bought, looks at it with emotional eyes. She holds your hand. You can feel that her hands are shaking slightly.

Ah… the tragedy…

You now ask yourself is it a good idea to ask Eva about this. After all, she is a witness. Speaking to her about the past may cause her to feel pain…

But no, Eva ensures you that she is fine, then proceeds to tell the story.

The story of Nightingale Viviana DeathWhizkersz.

“You know, back then, these were just regular lake lilies. And Nightingale, she was an honored knight, working for the Knights of Merton.”


The Great Lake of Merton, 55 years ago…

It had become a habit for the young Eva to come here. It was summer but she was wearing a fur hooded cloak. Hiding behind the bushes from far away, Eva was watching a white haired catgirl, who froze the water and created many icy miracles.

There she was, Nightingale. The DeathWhizkersz girl was just practicing her magic. This was nothing more than her daily training routine. However, to Eva’s eyes, it looked like she was dancing on the frozen lake surface.

Yes, DeathWhizkersz were the most beautiful people in this world. And there was not just Eva, but hundreds of other people also gathered here everyday after work to watch the girl dance, as it was so beautiful, so elegant.

A waltz. 

Some said it resembled a slow waltz. Even the ladies were mesmerized.

And this was especially true on days that she wore long dresses.

With every step, Nightingale created icy platforms underneath her shoes. Ice crystal flowers bloomed on the ground. They then flew up, swirling around as the girl made a twirl, casting an ice vortex. The flower petals then disintegrated as she finished the spell, creating a sparkling mist.

Ice Creation magic was her specialty. This magic had the power to create things. That day, it was flowers. But other days, it could be stars, or swords, or arrows. Even living things like ice birds and butterflies were possible. No matter what they were, they all looked so pure and beautiful. Sometimes, she even had wings like fairies!

But of course, it was not always so peaceful like this. Nightingale often casted big, explosive ice magic too! So, it was not rare to see ten meters tall ice pillars appearing from the ground, or dragons spreading their wings of destruction!

The coldness of her spells made the whole nearby area covered in snow and ice. And having done this for many years, this part of the Great Merton Lake had already changed to a completely different biome than the rest.

Trees no longer have leaves, and animals all went somewhere else. 

However, Nightingale seemed to be very fond of the lake lilies. She allowed them to survive and even bloom inside her freezing domain. After all, mana control was a part of her training too. So, never once did she ever freeze a living flower.

But… that was not how those flowers got their name yet.

Fast forward two more years, the night of the Merton tragedy…

Corruptors ravaged the land. Thousands of lives lost.

Nightingale and the knights fought fiercely to stop the endless waves of demonic creatures. 

With her final spell, she unleashed her biggest magic ever, freezing the entire lake. This was the only way to stop them. She didn’t even know if she would be able to do it or not.

Yet she succeeded. 

However, having expended too much mana, the girl collapsed.

People rushed to help her. But… it was too late.


“Nightingale is such a hero nya~~” you says with teary eyes after hearing the story. 

“Yes,” says Mrs Eva. “People think that DeathWhizkersz are ruthless, dangerous and often avoid getting involved with them. However, I don’t think so. They can be gentle and kind too. This flower is the evidence. Do you know, Felicia, that the lake lilies were unharmed even though that spell froze the entire lake?”

“What? That was impossible nyaa!” you exclaim. “It was in the middle of a battle, how could she pay attention to that nya!?”

“And yet she did, she did! And that’s how the flower gets its name” Eva makes a cheerful smile. “But people only noticed that after she was gone. Now…” 

She then looks at the nightingale's waltz in her hand before continuing, “these flowers are still blooming and thriving even at the Great Lake. Whenever I look at it, I will remember the old scenery, imagine a beautiful Nightingale dancing a waltz in front of my eyes…”

“Woahh…” Lizz exclaims, then gets up and bows “thank you for this amazing story, Mrs Eva,”     

“Oh, thank you!” Eva slightly bows back. “No, in fact, thank you for listening to this old lady rambling. This is sad but… even my grandchildren are no longer interested in hearing any of this. I don’t really blame them though… haizz…”

Eva makes a sigh. You and Lizz then too. 

“Oh, I forgot! There’s something else!” Eva suddenly says and takes out her necklace. “I was too curious and got close to her one time. But instead of scolding me, she gave me this…”

It appears to be just a small necklace in teardrop shape. However, you instantly realize what it really is. 

DeathWhizkersz magic, Eternal creation!

Nightingale… she created the necklace and condensed a massive amount of mana into it so that it could stay in its shape forever! Well, not really forever though, but you estimate that it can last for some more hundred years!

What a monstrous level of mana control!

You want to learn more about how she did it. Just by looking is not enough. Therefore, you ask to hold the necklace in your hands so that you can investigate the magic more thoroughly.

However… There is something slightly bothering you about this piece of jewelry. As Cleo teached you more about mana, you now know that everyone’s mana is different. It’s like a kind of unique signature.

Nightingale died many years in the past. So why… why does her mana feel so familiar? It doesn’t make any sense!

You still touch the necklace though, thinking that nothing will happen if you handle it carefully.

But…

Wooosh!

Your consciousness detaches and you are now transported to somewhere else.

Or if you remember this correctly…

Sometime else…

“Hello, what is your name nya?” you ask the heterochromia catgirl in front of you, who is now behind the prison bars, with magic runes written all over the walls to lock away her dangerous demonic powers. 

But this time, instead of staying silent, the girl answers you.

“Nightingale Viviana DeathWhizkersz.”

“Where do you from nya?” you ask another question.

“I’m from here.” the girl replies.

And just like that, your mouth keeps moving on its own.

“How old are you nya?” 

“Twenty-six.”

“Why are you following me nya?”

“I cannot answer that right now.”

You then ask many other questions, to which the girl gives you some basic information about her, but nothing more.

And then…

“What do you want, nya?” 

That is the final question you ask.

Nightingale holds out her hand. You instinctively hold out your hand too. Slowly, you approach her.

But Cleo is not here, so she can not stop you.

You touch Nightingale…

Your pendant glows bright, as more information rushes into your head like a flood.


18