Chapter XXXIV Trials and Rituals Part II
6.7k 12 142
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Reiko stared at the murals above the chests lost in thought. Her thoughts were mostly occupied with making a choice. She had already ruled out one choice and was looking at the remaining two. She just wasn’t sure which choice to take. The one on the left displayed a young naked girl in a submissive posture and begging for something. Alongside a number of other naked girls in various situations but less prominent. She had been leaning towards this one for a while, but something deep down was telling her that was the wrong choice. She had been trying to figure out what that something was when she looked over at the other choice which displayed the exact opposite. “Wait!? Could that nagging feeling be that simple? Is it possible that the images are displaying the exact opposite of what they mean?” thought Reiko with a sudden flash of insight into the problem that had been nagging her.

The more she thought about it the more it made sense for the choice to be a test in and of itself. Not only that but they were in a realm in which everything was reversed, so why wouldn’t the same hold true for the images before her. Finally making her decision she opened a chest and removed the key resting within. It was a gorgeous silver key with differently colored gems encrusted in the handle. It was the fancy kind of keys that she often saw women wear on a necklace. As she walked towards the doors, her thoughts drifted back to the event that had made her into a dungeon’s pet. In hindsight, her mistakes that day were painfully obvious, and she had made several. Now that she thought of it her asking if she could refuse was rude. The goddess had actually been quite kind and gracious to give her the quest. If she could go back she found herself handling that very different from how she handled it the first time. There were questions she should have asked that she didn’t. In a way, that entire quest had been a test. A test that she had failed.

As she pushed the key into a lock, she decided that she would do anything it takes to prove to the goddess that she had learned her lesson. She had been too focused on herself back then. She could see that now. The key turned the lock effortlessly, and the door swung open. She stepped into the revealed tunnel with a resolve to finish this trial. To prove that she had learned from her past mistakes, and was worthy of this chance to get her mind back.

After a while, as the tunnel was about to empty into a room a box appeared in her vision. It was red just like the last one, but its message made her happy.

Congratulations!

You have passed the first trial the riddles of choice.

Like many things in the reverse realm, even images can have their meanings reversed. You have solved this riddle, and revealed the path forward.

The Second Trial Begins!

You are a maid that has wronged her master. Demonstrate how you will deal with the situation. Note: the meaning of actions will not be reversed for this trial.

Looking at the second trial’s brief description she realized from it that this tested several characteristics of herself at once. Depending on the exact setting of the trial. Stepping into the room of the second trial knowledge of the setting flowed into her mind. The wrong turned out to be something simple, she had broken his most prized possession. Something that he had yet to find out. To her the solution was obvious. She had to admit to her mistake and beg forgiveness. Then she began to look around. This time the room didn’t resemble a cave, but a well-maintained castle garden. Rows of pretty flowers were evenly spaced from each other, bringing with them bursts of color. In the center was a pretty black gazebo, in which a pair of individuals were relaxing. She knew them to be her master and his wife in this scenario.

Taking stock of herself, she found that she was no longer stark naked, but was instead wearing an erotic maid outfit that did nothing to hide her assets, but instead seemed to enhance them. Not something she would have chosen on her own, and it was daring even by lust demon standards. Still having been living around demons for a few months had changed her thoughts on clothing. As such, she wasn’t uncomfortable with it. In her hand, she had a bag containing the broken remnant of her master’s prized artifact. It looked to be a type of magical device, but it had clearly shattered into several large fragments. She knew that the cause of this was an impact from a fall.

She made her way through the rows of plants, not stopping to admire the strange garden. When she reached the gazebo she placed the bag on the table and immediately dropped to her knees and bent down with her hands visible in front. Then she spoke, “Forgive me! I broke your prized scrying orb.”

The master looked down, and said, “I already know. It takes courage to admit one's mistakes. So I admire that. I’ll reduce the punishment to twenty lashings and double shifts for a month,” said the master as he produced a whip out of nowhere. She wasn’t sure about the idea of being whipped, but she stayed put. Then she felt the first crack of the whip, and pain surged up her nerves. Despite the pain, she stayed put and let the second come down on her. She had made her choice for the scenario and she was going to stick with it. So she stayed there bent on the ground, taking each one. With each crack of the whip she cried out in pain, and before she knew it the beating was over. With the beating ending her surroundings dissolved, and a key dropped before her. She pushed herself off the ground and found that she was naked again. Not only that, but there was no evidence that she had ever been whipped.

Her surroundings were another dark cave, with glowing shadows concealing the edges of the room. On one wall there was an unmarked and locked door. She picked up the key and walked towards the door. It easily turned in the lock and then the door swung open. As she stepped past the threshold of the door, another red box filled her vision.

Congratulations!

You have passed the second trial

Humility and a willingness to stick with your decisions and take the consequences can get you far.

The Third Trial Begins!

Solve the riddle of the maze

 

Exiting the tunnel that the door led her into she found herself before a giant temple with the entrances to a vast maze to her left and right. Rather than enter the maze right away, she chose to enter the temple and look for clues about what she needs to do. The temple was rather beautiful and the walls were decorated with statues of naked women. Behind the altar was a locked and unmarked door, but the altar drew her attention. Something was clearly missing from the altar. The empty hands of the goddess that was part of the altar were clearly meant to be holding something up. What that something was she wasn’t sure, but she was certain that the goal was to find it and return it to the altar.

Leaving the temple she headed into the maze. Which wasn’t much of a problem for her. She had gained a lot of experience with navigating mazes, since the secret passages in the dungeon were a maze in and of themselves. As a result, she didn’t have any trouble with getting lost, but finding the object she was looking for proved difficult. She ended up spending hours navigating the maze. It might have been easier if the maze didn't have a roof, because then it would make sense to walk on the ceiling. Something that this realm makes quite easy with the strange rules regarding gravity here.

Regardless she did eventually manage to find an orb, and sure enough, it turned out to be the item she was looking for. She found it in a section of the maze that was originally hidden, but to find it she had to use some of the other items she found to open hidden passages.

After the third trial, the following ones sort of just blended together. Most of them turned out to be tests of character. While others required her to puzzle things out. Finally, after losing all track of time she stepped through an unmarked door into a throne room. She was also greeted with a lovely red box telling her that she had passed the final trial.

Congratulations!

You have passed the final trial!

You have completed the Ritual of Redemption

Your final task is to speak with your goddess.

The throne room she was in was quite beautiful. Exquisitely carved murals of naked men and women decorated the walls. A large throne chair was centered in the rear and carved from a single piece of dark stone. On either side of the throne were naked statues of the dark gods. It took her second to realize that these were the major gods and goddess of the dark pantheon. Which unlike the light pantheon had no splits between races. She walked up to the throne and knelt before it. She chose not to speak. She was the guest here, and she knew her status was well below the goddess before her.

“You did well, child. You have definitely learned from your past mistakes. You actually did better than I thought you would. Here are your rewards,” said Dewari as a final red box filled her vision.

You have redeemed yourself in the eyes of the goddess you serve!

Trait lost: Simple-Minded

Trait lost: Lustful Minded

Title gained: Redeemed Acolyte

Faith Stat Unlocked

Title gained: Acolyte of Dewari the Dark Goddess of Lust and Fertility

Acquisition of title ‘Acolyte of Dewari the Dark Goddess of Lust and Fertility’ has upgraded your class to ‘Dark Mage of Faith’

Title ‘Acolyte of Dewari the Dark Goddess of Lust and Fertility’: The holder is a low ranking member of Dewari’s order. Boosts the faith stat by ten unlocks faith-based classes of the dark type. Upon acquisition will upgrade the holder’s main class to a suitable class. Faith can be raised by engaging in activities of the order.

Title ‘redeemed Acolyte’: The holder has previously strayed from the path and returned. Makes the holder more easily resist temptations. Boosts faith by ten.

Dark Mage of Faith: A powerful variant of the mage class. Excels at dark and faith-based magics. Boosts Intelligence, Wisdom, and Faith. Penalties to Strength and endurance. Boosts spell power by one percent for every ten points of faith. Learns faith spells based on the holder’s order every five levels. May learn an extra spell for every hundred points of faith (thirty percent chance)

She felt honored seeing these new titles, and her new class. She had not expected these rewards. She had expected to gain a title for passing the trial, but not two.

“I’m honored that you saw fit to bring me into your order,” said Reiko thanking the goddess before her.

“I felt you deserved a little extra for doing so well in the trials, but I also expect you to serve me,” replied Dewari.

“I’ll try my best to be worthy of the honor,” replied Reiko completely sincere. Then the goddess told her that was all she expected, and then the room vanished in a flash of blinding darkness. Then she found herself back in the ritual chamber, sitting on the floor. All around her were the exhausted naked bodies of the girls that had participated in the ritual.

 

142