Chapter 20 – New Hobbies (Letty’s POV)
5k 14 183
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I’ve been a busy girl these past few weeks. Since I’ve never studied from books before, it was a little difficult to get used to. But with Teacher’s and the head maid’s help, I managed to study all the books that Teacher gave me, as well as some extra books that arrived later. 

I also exchanged a few more letters with Aria, she is adjusting well at the academy.

 

Currently, I am reporting to Teacher about the completion of my last assignment.

“You did well, Letica. In the last four weeks, you've studied the fundamentals of language and economics," she patted my head.

I need to meet with several prominent businessmen in our region. And you will be accompanying me, your job will be to observe the meeting and give a report based on your observations”, she said.

“Yes Teacher”, I said cheerfully. I was excited to see Teacher in action.

 

“I like your enthusiasm. But to be honest, it’s going to be boring, so brace yourself”

 

Like that, I started to attend such meetings beside her. Sometimes as her assistant or sometimes as her attendant, when dealing with nobles. Watching Teacher do her job was really cool. She has such a confident and domineering aura while dealing with people, that it makes me want to be like her.

After every meeting, on our way back, she asks me for my opinions and corrects them if they are flawed.

She often treats me with sweets if I perform well. And although she said that it’d be difficult, I’m having a great time.

 

After a month of meetings and studying,

“Letica, I think you’ve outdone yourself. I really like your persistence, you keep trying until you get something right. As your teacher, I’m proud of you”, she said.

“In light of your hard work, I’m granting you a week-long break. You can do whatever you want, if you need anything, than ask” 

Yay! Finally a break from studies, I’ve had enough of it.

“I don’t have anything I want, Teacher. Well, more sweets would be nice”, I suggested.

“No can do. You’ll get a toothache. Anything apart from that?”, she asked.

Hah, no sweets for me. 

“I don’t know, Teacher. Can I get more tasty food every day?”, what do people do on holidays anyway?

“Uh sure, you can eat all the food you want. But here’s an idea. Why not pick some cute clothes for you? You’ve been growing lately, you’ll look really cute if dressed right. What do you say?”, she asked with beaming eyes.

“Will you really do that for me, Teacher?”

Aria picked out some clothes for me last time, but they are getting shorter by the day.

“Of course! Anything for my precious student. I’ll call some designers in the afternoon, so come to my room after lunch”, she says, seemingly more excited than I am. Hehe, Teacher is so cute sometimes.

“Thank you, teacher”

 

Oh my god! I had no idea what I signed up for. 

Let’s just say, being a dress-up doll for Teacher is a terrible idea. If not for the maid reminding her of dinner time, I’m sure she would have kept playing with me for the whole night.

By the time we were done, I was so exhausted that I nearly fell on my knees. She bought so many dresses that I don’t think I’ll ever need to buy new ones. 

And what’s with her obsession with catgirl. She made me wear a cat-ear headband and hugged and petted me for every cute outfit I changed into. This side of Teacher was kinda… scary.

Now I get why Aria forced her out that day. I thought she was overreacting, but she was actually protecting me. I shouldn’t doubt her words.

“Oh my, it seems that my dear student enjoyed herself a bit too much. Your feet are wobbly. Here, lay on the bed for a while, I’ll fetch someone to get you dinner later”, she said as she made me lie on her bed. After what happened in the last few hours, I didn’t retort and laid on her bed.

 

I was left alone in the room, I wanted to leave, but she asked me to stay here until someone came to fetch me.

I looked around the room to see if there was anything to help pass some time. That’s when my eyes fell on a certain white cloth.

It looked out of place and was seemingly covering something. 

To satiate my curiosity, I decided to take a peek.

I expected something grand, but all I saw were a bunch of books. They weren’t titled, so I picked up the thinnest book and skimmed through its content. 

It was some sort of novel. 

But why would Teacher keep them hidden? Fascinating.

I heard someone approaching the room. So I hurriedly covered the books and hid the book I picked out behind my back.

Wait, isn’t this like… stealing? But it’s just a book, I don’t think Teacher would mind. I’ll return it once I’m done.

That night, I finally understood why those books were hidden. It was a romance novel. It must be embarrassing for Teacher to show such a side to others. So that’s why she hid them.

It was refreshing to read such a story in a book. The story was about an adventurer and a guild clerk. It would take me at least a few days to complete it.

But I really liked reading it. So much so that I didn’t realize when the time passed midnight. Good thing I am on a break, it’d be fine even if I overslept.

I decided to keep it a secret, that I stol-, uhm borrowed the book, and return it quietly once I am done.

***

The next day,

I was enjoying my vacation with all sorts of food I could think of. The chef was ordered to cook me anything I asked, and I took full advantage of it. I swear, I heard the chef call me ‘little glutton’, what does he know? It’s not everyday that you get to eat such delicacies.

My tongue was the happiest organ in the world, but my stomach said otherwise.

Overeating was a bad idea. To help digest all the food I ate, I decided to take a walk in the park. While strolling, I saw Betty in the corner of the park. She was having a lunch break. 

I dropped by, and we had a nice little conversation. She is so sweet behind that scary armor and voice.

She told me stories of her protecting people and killing bad guys. 

By listening to her stories, I know that she is very strong. I jokingly said how wonderful it’d be if I could be tenth as strong as her.

“You don’t need a specific class to get strong. All my class skills are related to stealth, none of them give me a power advantage”, she revealed.

“You are joking, right? Then how come you are so strong? I bet you could kill any monster in a single swing”, I asked curiously.

“It’s the training and hard work I’ve put in that have made me this strong. Not everything is based on your class, that just gives you a boost in a particular field. If you train diligently, you’ll be able to protect yourself and your loved ones at the very least”

She told me her training routine. Hearing her made me awe in admiration, how has she been able to keep such rigorous training for years? I could never follow through with such a harsh routine.

 

“You don’t need to train as hard as me. I do it because it’s my job and duty as a knight. You can try to learn some basic combat arts, like dagger or sword play. That would surely come in handy someday”

She then asked me, “Do you want to learn any of those? I am free in the afternoon, so I don’t mind helping out my friend”

 

“Really? You’d do that for me? Thank you so much Betty. And you should call me Letty too”. I hugged her out of excitement.

She was taken aback by my sudden hug.

 

“Haha, sure, Letty. You can start with a dagger. For your small frame, a dagger is the most suitable. Some physical exercises would be good for your growing body”

 

Yay! I can’t wait to surprise Aria, once she returns. I’ll show her a new and responsible Letty.

 

***

 

Like that, I started exercising and learning dagger art from Betty and developed a new hobby of borrowing and reading romance novels under my Teacher’s nose.

Betty's training isn't harsh. For now, I am just sticking to basic exercised. She promised to teach me dagger technique once I am physically fit.

I've only read two books up to this point, and both of them seemed off. I keep seeing the male partner as female too. There must be a novel with a love story between two girls somewhere in her collection. I just need to look hard enough.

The novels were very enjoyable. I kept reading words like true love. 

It is someone with whom you want to share all your happy and sad moments with. Someone you want to spend your entire life with. Doesn’t that make Aria my true love?

Blush

And the lovers exchange… hugs and kisses.

Grows redder

Imagining me and Aria together when we grow up, feels magical. She also keeps teasing me, so that must mean she likes me as well, right? That one time, she said something about marriage.

Growing even redder

Oh god! But what if she doesn’t feel the same way? Just like the second female lead of the novel, the hero treats her well, but she mistakes it for love, and then she is left heartbroken in the end. Does Aria like me or not? How do I find out? 

I guess I’ll have to wait for her return to know her feelings. Writing it in a letter might make it worse.

I’ll ask her on the day she returns.

 

***

 

Meanwhile, Betty POV:

Should I let my Lady know about this? She believes, however, that she has also kept the books a secret from me. Will she be embarrassed if I inform her that her cherished student has been borrowing from her collection?

As a dutiful knight, I must keep her secret safe. However, Letty might just blab it in front of my Lady if I confront her.

They are just some harmless romance novels. Let's turn a blind eye towards Letty. It’s not like she’s stealing them anyway.

Today, we were on the front page on trending, cool!

Welcome to any new readers.

183