Chapter 15 – Magic Lessons and Weaponry
830 3 37
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

                I didn’t have to wait long… A few minutes later, the front door to the tiny tree home opened up, and a female reechi, dressed in some nice clothing – carrying what looked like a large cup of tea – came out of the house, and stepped into the tree – like right INTO the tree – and a second later, emerged from the tree’s trunk on ground level!

 

                “Wow!  That was amazing!  Was that a spell, Tika?”

 

                “Yeah!  I call it Plant Stride.  I can do it too, but it’s harder for me – I have to really push to do it any further than what Cheerit did.”

 

                The elder reechi blew on her tea to cool it, and walked over.  “Hello, Serra!  I understand you would like to take some magic lessons?  Am I right?”

 

                “Yes, Serra Chis’it.  Tika thinks I have the talent for a word called Forces, and I would very much like to learn.”

 

                “I’m not ready to take on another apprentice, young lady – but I could find the time to teach you some lessons… They wouldn’t be free, of course, but I’m sure we can come to an arrangement.”

 

                “I’d love that!  Anything you can do would be amazing!”

 

                “Why don’t we start at ten silver crescents per session?  It’s more than I usually charge Tika’s parents – but she’s been a regular for two years, and I’m not really looking for a long term student.”

 

                “How come, Cheerit?”  Tika chirped.  “You’re going to have all sorts of free time in a month or so, when Alyssa and I graduate!”

 

                “I’ll have less time than you think, Tika.”  Cheerit replied, rubbing her tummy.  “I’ve got little ones on the way, and you know our people usually have litters, rather than one or two children, like humans do.”

 

                “You’re gonna be a mommy!  Oh wow! Oh wow! Oh wow!”  Tika danced about.  “Congratulations!”

 

                “Yes, congratulations, Serra Chis’it!”

 

                “Thank you both.”  Cheerit replied.  “My husband Kekrit and I have been trying for some time.  I just found out yesterday.”

 

                “I’m so happy happy happy for you!”  Tika laughed.  “You must be really happy!”

 

                “I am… I’m very happy.  But this is why I won’t have time for long term students, at least for a year.”

 

                I nodded in understanding.  “I understand.  Just let me know when you won’t be able to have me as a student anymore.  I don’t know how long I’ll be staying in town anyway.”

 

                “Oh?  Why is that?”  Cheerit asked.

 

                “Jeffrey.  I think he wants to go to Callenden and visit with the King.  There is a good chance he’s King Colin’s grandson, out of wedlock.”

 

                “Oh my!”  Cheerit didn’t say anything else, but nodded knowingly.  “I understand.  Please let me know before you leave, alright?”

 

                “That sounds fine.”

 

                “When are you leaving?  Is it soon? We just started to get to know each other!  I’ll miss you!”

 

                “Whoa!  Tika! Slow down!  I don’t know, probably not for at least a week or two, and I’ll miss you too, but there’s a good chance one or both of us will be coming back, so it’s not forever.  It’ll be fine.”

 

                Tika tried to calm herself, and muttered “Okay.” In a small voice.  “Sorry… I got too excited.”

 

                “It’s okay, Tika.”

 

                At that point, I hear a cheery greeting from Alyssa, who was walking up to join us on the grassy area below Cheerit’s home.  I waved back. 

 

                “Good!  Now that you’re all here, I can begin.  Alyssa, please be seated when you can.”  Cheerit said.

 

                “Alright, Cheerit. It’s good to be here.  Hi, Rachel.  Trying to learn some magic?”

 

                “Yep, if I have the talent for it.  I’m really looking forward to it.”

 

                “Wonderful!”

 

                Cheerit tried to look stern at us all for gossiping, but it’s hard for a small squirrel-person to look intimidating and not cute.  Still, we got the message, and settled down. 

 

                “Tika, I’d like you to continue practicing your finesse with Plant magic… Can you make a vine snake around my tree up to the house, then back down again – try that, little one.”

 

                “Okay!”  Tika replied.

 

                “Alyssa, I’d like you to see if you’re able to turn yourself invisible today, and then practice fine tuning your control with some illusions of moving, flying butterflies.”

 

                “Grr…. Butterflies are really hard, Cheerit!”

 

                “That’s why we practice, dear…”

 

                I smiled.  Cheerit seemed somewhat calmer than Tika – but then, I imagined many beings would be calmer than Tika.  “What would you like me to do, Ma’am?”

 

                “Ma’am is like Serra where Rachel comes from, Cheerit.”  Tika explained.

 

                “Oh!  Interesting.  Well, Rachel, I’m going to examine you with a spell to see where your strongest talent lies, and then I’ll try and teach you the Word corresponding to that talent.  If you’re able to bend spoons, for example, without a Word, your talent is probably strong enough to learn the Word quickly.  Once you know the Word, we can then try other things.  Slowly.”

 

                “I understand.  Tika and Alyssa told me about the Call of Hrask – and I definitely don’t want that, so I’ll go slow.”

 

                “Good.”  Cheerit scampered around me a few times, looking at me from several angles – all the while looking like she was concentrating intently.  After a few minutes of this, she clambered in front of me, and spoke.

 

                “Well, I think you do have an affinity for Forces, which is your strongest Word, but you also have affinity for Sight and for Air magic.  The rest of your words are of average strength, but you’re particularly weak with Animism, Fate or Spirit Magic, and Earth Magic.”

 

                “So, if I want to maximize my potential, I should concentrate on Forces, Sight and Air?  Is that right, Cheerit?”

 

                “Yes, exactly.  You can branch out – but you’ll never be as strong in the other words as you are in those three.  It doesn’t mean its not worthwhile, however – finesse is often as useful as raw power, and sometimes more.  I would avoid the weaker three magics, though – there is a limit to what finesse can accomplish on its own, without at least some power to back it up.”

 

                “So how do I learn a Word?” 

 

                “There are two ways, generally.  One is through study of books of magic, where the lore of the word is examined and explained.  This is often the way students prepare to learn their first word – years of study – but the other method is to have the word recited to you.  Only someone with a talent for a word can ‘hear’ and comprehend a word when it is spoken.  Study makes it easier to prepare for the event, but it can be done without it.  It usually leaves the student with a very bad headache if it succeeds.  Would you like to try?”

 

                “Yes please, Cheerit!”

 

                “Very well… Please try to concentrate, and listen carefully.  Don’t try to remember it all – just let it soak in and absorb.”

 

                “I’ll try.”

 

                “Serra, there is no try – only do, or do not.  Make the best attempt you can, though.”

 

                Rachel smirked, comparing little Cheerit to Master Yoda for a moment, and wondered what Cheerit or Tika would look like with Lightsabers.  My reverie was interrupted when Cheerit began to speak…  At first the syllables of the Word were low, deep in volume – almost guttural – but they rose in volume, louder – like chanting in my ears.  It felt strange – like my head was being stuffed with information – motion, forces, velocity and time… I began to understand how these forces and others interacted – and my consciousness expanded with it.  I could see vectors in the air as birds flew, could calculate the friction coefficient of their wings drag on the air, and sense nearby places where the veil between the worlds was thin.  I understood how wormholes worked – it was so simple!  Elegant, even – and the words got louder.  My head began to hurt, at first a dull ache – and then a blinding headache, a shooting pain that felt like white hot needles being plunged into both of my eyes.  I could see nothing but light, and shrieked in pain.  “Aaagh!”

 

                Cheerit stopped, immediately, and rushed over to me.  I could feel her paws pitter-patter over me as she climbed up to my shoulder.  “Is everything alright, Rachel?  I’m sorry!  Perhaps you weren’t ready?”

 

                My head felt like it was splitting, and I couldn’t think – Cheerit’s words went in one ear and out the other.  I could feel my blood pounding in my ears, drowning out sound and normal thought, and I lay back in the grass, moaning and clutching my head for several minutes until the pain subsided.  As I rested, I could feel the unnatural knowledge Cheerit had tried to stuff into me, slowly fading away… I didn’t know if that meant it worked, or not.  I hurt too much to care.  When I was feeling well enough, I opened my eyes to see Cheerit, Tika and Alyssa sitting nearby or kneeling over me. 

 

                “Are you well, Rachel?”  Alyssa asked.

 

                “Yes.  No.  I don’t know.”  I replied.  “Is it supposed to feel like that, Cheerit?  Like somethings cutting open your head, and stuffing knowledge into it until it feels full to burst – followed by white hot needles in your brain?”

 

                “Umm… No, Rachel.  I believe it may be because you have had no prior training.  Accepting a new Word is always taxing, and apparently your first Word was difficult for you to assimilate.  I’m sorry – I’ve only heard about this reaction.  I’ve never seen it.”

 

                “Did it work?”  I asked.

 

                “I do not know.  We can try to get you to cast a spell, if you feel well enough – but if you are sore or overtaxed, perhaps we should wait until tomorrow?”

 

                I shook my head.  “Nope… I just got here.  I want to try at least one spell.”  I replied.  “Do you think I’ll be okay to do that?”

 

                “Yes, I think so.  Let’s have you try to lift this acorn in front of you and move it from here, to over here.” She said, pointing from one spot to another.  “The trick is that you have to visualize what you want to happen, in your mind.  If you can’t clearly visualize what you want to happen, it will be much harder.  You might feel rather fatigued after casting the spell – depending on your Threshold and your personal stamina.  Also, no matter how much power you feel you can reach for, only use a trickle – after all, we don’t want the acorn to fly off like a bullet and hurt someone, do we?”

 

                “It could do that?”

 

                “Most definitely.”  Cheerit replied.  “It’s one of Tika’s go to combat spells for self defense.”

 

                “That and ‘Thorn grenade.’”  Tika interjected.

 

                “You have grenades here?”  I asked.

 

                “Well, they probably aren’t like yours.  They’re clay pots filled with black powder and lit with a fuse and a spark and then thrown.  They’re hard to find, and rare and expensive, but people know about them.”  Tika replied.

 

                “No they aren’t like ours.  Still, neat.”  I said.

 

                “Tika, please return to your lessons – I’ll be with you shortly.”

 

                “Yes, Cheerit.  Sorry!”

 

                “Now, Rachel… are you ready to try and move the acorn?”

 

                “Oh, yes!” I replied eagerly.  “Let’s do this.”

 

                I concentrated, and focused my mind on the acorn – it wasn’t too different from trying to bend the spoon, honestly – and it took a little less focus.  This time, I reached inside to where I felt, for lack of a better term, my power, and pulled a little trickle of it, like Cheerit suggested.  To my surprise, it was easier to find inside me when I looked, and it was easier to pull a strand of energy instead of all of it… and there was more of it too – a LOT more.  

 

I focused on the acorn, and imagined it lifting up a few inches, and moving a foot to the left… and much to my amazement, it slowly lifted up, and moved a foot to the left, and settled down…  I was shocked – not that I had moved it, but that there was no pain!  No headache or nosebleeds!  Nothing.  Not even the fatigue Cheerit warned me about.   

 

“I did it!”  I giggled, a  little at first, and then a little hysterically.  All that was missing was the damn Word – all I needed was a filter to protect me!  I giggled again…  “Can I try it again?”

 

“Not yet.”  Cheerit replied.  “I need to do some meditations with you, to see if you exceeded your threshold.  Everyone’s threshold is different, and for new spellcasters, it is often weaker than what it eventually grows into.  We need to do this to make sure you aren’t affected by the Call of Hrask.”

 

That sobered me up pretty damn quick…  There was no bloody way I wanted to get creepy voices in my head, go insane, or turn into a damn lizard man!  “Okay, Cheerit.  What do I have to do?”

 

“First, lie down on the grass and close your eyes.”  She began in a calm voice.  “Look inside yourself… is there a happy place inside?  A place you feel safe, and secure?  Find that place, and let me know when you’re there.”

 

I looked inside… at first I saw my room at home, but it didn’t feel right – it wasn’t safe.  The closet, where I used to hide felt safer, but still not right.  Neither were particularly happy, either.  I dug deeper, and my mind flashed to when I was about 14 years old.  I was sleeping over at Jeff’s parents place, and Jeff and I were eating pizza and watching movies.  It was later at night – Jeff was asleep, and I was lying awake, wishing I could have his parents instead of mine.  I felt a tear roll down my cheek… That night was one of the safest I ever felt.  I felt sad I couldn’t say that about my home, my parents.  “I found it.”

 

“Now, gently, look around this safe place.  Is there a spot where you keep your treasures, your special things – the things that make you happy?”

 

I thought to the duffel bag of stuff I kept at Jeff’s house, so that my mom and dad wouldn’t be tempted to throw it out.  I thought to the few things I kept as treasures – and although they were normally hidden at my parent’s home, oddly, they were also here.  They were stored in a Captain America lunchbox – the plastic kind with a big decal and a plastic thermos, like from 30 years ago.  I opened it – and saw my little treasures.  Some were simple things – shiny rocks or crystals, a silver dollar I got from my Grandpa, a ticket stub to a movie from years ago, and a little plastic Green Lantern ring Jeff gave me one time.  It was a silly green plastic ring that glowed in the dark if you held it up to a light.  I smiled sadly… I’d forgotten about that until now.  It was the first piece of jewelry I had ever owned, even if it was a toy.  Jewelry is important for a girl – I knew that even then.  God, I wore that ring for months…  It reminded me of times that were good.  “I found them, Cheerit.”

 

“Good.  Now I’d like you to imagine that Tika and Alyssa and I were there, and you were showing them to us, your treasures.  How would that make you feel?”

 

“Sad, a little, but also good.”  I replied, unsure where Cheerit was leading me.  “I’d tell you their stories, and reminisce.”

 

“Good… That’s very good.”  Cheerit replied.  “If you had been affected by the Call of Hrask, you might have felt nervous or anxious we were going to steal them from you – to take what was rightfully yours.  You would have been suspicious of us, and might have been snippy or mean – or worse, you might have felt an urge to attack us and drive us away so your treasures could be safe.  That is what it feels like when you go beyond your threshold and suffer the Call of Hrask.  It seems you haven’t tested your limit yet, so that is good.  You can sit up and open your eyes now.”

 

“So is that meditation we just did how spellcasters check to see if they’ve done too much casting?”

 

“Yes, exactly.”  Cheerit replied.  “If you are worried that you may have done too much, just pause and do that meditation.”

 

“What happens if I do go beyond, and suffer the Call of Hrask?  Is there any cure, or will only time mend it?”

 

“There is no cure save time, that I am aware of, Rachel.  Some people who possess Mind Magic say they can reduce the effects of the Call, but I have not seen it with my own eyes, so I’m not sure if it works or not.  It is better to assume there is no cure, and simply avoid suffering from the Call by carefully watching your threshold, once you discover it.”

 

“I’ll try and take that advice, Cheerit.”

 

“How is your head, Rachel?”

 

“Actually, I’m feeling much better.” 

 

“If you feel able, I’d like you to keep practicing – lifting one acorn and then two – and then three – and moving them into these three teacups.  Do that until you feel a strain – a pulling that leaves you fatigued.  Then check your special place and see if you’ve exceeded your threshold.  Practice control first – power and speed can come later.”

 

“Yes, Serra!”  I replied, eager to begin…  I learned Telekinesis!  Ha!  “I’ll practice like you said.”

 

“Good… I should go and check on Tika and Alyssa.  If you need me, I won’t be far.”

 

As I moved the acorns one by one from teacup to teacup, I couldn’t help but feel joy.  I had mastered my power!  I was a mage!  Yes!    I wondered for a moment how Jeff’s training was going, but shook my head free of that thought – I’d find out later – now was for magic!

 

 

*              *              *

 

 

                This is it, I thought.  I’m going to die here today…  I was on my sixth lap around the town since I found my inner strength, and I was utterly spent.  My legs felt like jello, and my breathing was hard and ragged.  I gasped for air, and my legs and lungs burned with exertion.  I felt like the pack I carried was ten times its already generous weight – and as I tried to reach Fionn, only a few hundred feet away, my body gave out.  I hit the dirt, tears rolling down my face.  I was in agony – I could barely move, and I certainly didn’t have any strength to speak.  I tried to move my arms, but they wouldn’t take my weight, so I lay there, face down in the dirt, utterly spent.

 

                Fionn approached – I could hear his feet on the ground, crunching in the dirt path.  “You did good, lad.  It was brutal – but you learned the depths of your inner strength.  You learn the utter limits you can reach.  Learn from that – and let it guide you.  Can you stand?”

 

                “No.”  I groaned.  “I don’t think so.”

 

                “Then lie still a moment and rest.”  Sir Fionn sat with me, and continued speaking.  “This may seem harsh – and it is – but it teaches a Vigilant exactly how far they can push themselves before failing.  It’s something we all do.  It’s something you’ll never forget – and to be honest, you did better than most of my students, the ones that I trained.”   He sighed.  “If you have talent for weapons as well as stamina, strength and fortitude, you’ll be a formidable warrior.”

 

                “Yay.” I tried to mutter, but it came out weakly.

 

                “Lad, you’ve done enough for today.  When you can walk, head back to the inn, and get some rest.  I’ll take your pack.  You did well.”

 

                “Thank you, Fionn… I think.”

 

                “You’re welcome, lad.” 

 

Fionn removed the pack from my shoulders, and it felt like a gigantic boulder was lifted off of me.  I don’t know how long I lay there in the dirt, but after a while my breathing returned to normal, and although my muscles still hurt, I was able to move my limbs, and support my own weight with them – even if I was a little shaky.

 

Even though I felt completely exhausted, I felt a significant amount of pride!  That was something I’d have never tried to do before – and to be honest, I didn’t think I could do it.  But I did.   I stood up, covered in dirt, but beaming with pride.  That run hadn’t beat me – and neither would anything else.  I headed back to the inn, aching – but feeling good despite the punishment I had taken.  The small crowd that had gathered to watch my exertions parted, and I slowly walked away.

 

Back at the inn, I fell into a booth and relaxed, waving over a serving maid for a drink…  Kaylee soon came over, and in a short while I had a honeyed light ale to enjoy.  I finished half of it, the cool ale feeling quite refreshing.  I decided against something to eat right now, and went upstairs to lay down. 

 

The small room Rachel and I shared looked heavenly as I sat on the soft mattress, and pulled off my boots, followed by my jacket, my sweaty t-shirt and pants – until I was only clad in my boxer shorts.  I crawled under the sheets, and lay my head down to rest.  I wasn’t thinking of much – fatigue was robbing me of coherent thought – so I laid back and let sleep take me.  It didn’t take long. 

 

I was walking in a field… the images around me were hazy, but I could tell someone was holding my hand, or I was holding theirs.  Same difference?  I looked towards my partner, and I saw a pretty girl I didn’t recognize, but who looked sort of familiar, wearing clothes from Mercia, except for knee high leather boots with silver buckles and a zipper.  She smiled, and smoothed her summer dress, her long brown hair hanging to her waist in a pretty braid, tied with a silken ribbon.  She felt comfortable to be around – but at the same time, I felt I had never met her before.  It was odd.  She looked happy, and kind – but with a hidden strength to her. 

 

Another voice joined us… and a third figure ran into view – and then a fourth, both young ladies.  One was blonde haired and cute, and reminded me of Rachel – and the other was brown haired and reminded me of Alyssa.  Both girls wore their hair long, and in braids tied with pretty ribbons, and it was clear that my friend – the one holding my hand – was glad to see them.  She released my hand, and ran up to them – and the three embraced as only old friends would, and it was plain they took joy in each other’s presence. They chatted, and gossiped – but I couldn’t hear their words clearly.  Perhaps they weren’t meant for me?  I stood nearby, watching and waiting, feeling time slip by, and soon the ladies looked like they were getting ready to go.

 

The brown haired girl I was holding hands with reached out towards me, as if beckoning, inviting me to come with them, to wherever they were going.  I looked sad.  She looked sad.  Where they were going, it wasn’t for me.  She waited a little while, and then turned, rushing to catch up to her friends.  They were gone, and oddly, I felt very alone in that moment.  Who was she?  Why was she here?  Did she know Rachel and Alyssa?

 

I walked off, brooding, and feeling a little upset, and oddly, I began to cry.  Why did she leave?  Was I alone now?  Why was she so important?  Why the hell do I care?  My thoughts drifted, and everything grew hazy.

 

“Jeff.  Jeff, it’s time to get up.”  My eyes felt wet and crusty, and I reached up to brush the sleep – and a few tears – out of them. 

 

“Rachel?”  I asked, stretching, and sitting up.

 

“Yeah.  You okay?  You look wiped out.  You also looked like you were having a bad dream.”

 

“I guess I was.  I was really tired.  Fionn worked me like a dog until I collapsed.”

 

“Wow!  Is it necessary?”

 

“He seems to think it is.  I was able to do more than I ever thought, so maybe he was right.  It wasn’t pleasant though, or easy.”  I stretched, and yawned – and felt a bit better, the images of the troubling dream wafting away in my waking state.  The woman with the brown hair holding my hand stayed with me a bit longer – but she too was starting to fade.

 

“What time is it, Rache?”

 

“Close to six.”  She replied.  “I was at magic lessons most of the afternoon, and then Alyssa and Tika and I went to the inn and had an ale and chatted for a bit.  They headed home for dinner a little while ago, and I thought you’d like to get up for dinner.”

 

I smiled.  “Thanks, Rachel.  I did.  Is Fionn downstairs?”

 

“Yes.  He was sitting and relaxing by himself.”

 

“Good to know.  I think I could be convinced to get some dinner.  Do you think Threads will be open after dinner?”

 

“I doubt it.  The town seems to roll up at six bells.  Maybe if you made an appointment?”

 

“Yeah.  I’ll go see him tomorrow.”

 

Rachel moved out of my way, and I marveled once again at how womanly her garments made her seem…  She seemed to have a small but reasonable bust – and the hair tonic she had used had grown her hair to about her shoulders, giving her a more feminine appearance too.  Her facial hair was gone.  Heh.  I hated shaving.  Maybe I should use some of that stuff so I don’t have to scrape a blade across my face anymore?

 

“Want to go to dinner, Milady?”  I said, offering her my arm.

 

“Yes, please.”  She replied, laughing, and took my arm.  “You’re still a dork, though.”

 

“Fair enough.”  I said, smiling.  “Let’s go.”

 

We went downstairs, and took a table.  I waved to Fionn, who nodded back at me, and I got settled, with Rachel sitting across from me.  Natalia came and took our orders – We both ordered the special – a chicken pot pie with a bowl of bread stuffing and gravy, finished by a piece of apple pie. 

 

“So how was magic class?  Oh – and by the way, your hair looks a lot longer.  It looks nice!”

 

“You like my hair?  Thanks Jeff.  It IS a lot longer.  I’m probably going to have to find someone to barber it or style it soon.”

 

“I hope there’s someone in town who can help you there.  Did you cast a spell?  Did it hurt like last time?”

 

“I totally did, and it didn’t hurt at all.  In fact, I spent half the afternoon moving acorns from one teacup to another, and not only did I not get really tired, I eventually learned to handle about three of them at once, which was pretty cool!  I also learned how to check myself to see if I’m getting close to my threshold, so I don’t suffer the Call of Hrask, and so far it seems pretty good.  Cheerit says if I do well for the rest of the week, she’ll have me purposely draw too much energy, to help me find my limit, so I don’t exceed it accidentally.  I’m not really looking forward to that, but I suppose it’s necessary.  None of it hurt at all!  I can do magic!  Eeeeee!”

 

Rachel was super excited, and it was fun to see her so happy.  I smiled back and gave her the thumbs-up sign.  “That’s fantastic, Rachel!  I knew you could do it.”

 

“Thanks Jeff.”

 

We chatted quietly about our training regimes for a while, and then ate dinner.  Fionn approached our table as we finished off the last of the apple pie, and waited till we could speak. 

 

“Weapons training tomorrow, Geoff, and for the next several days, until I’m satisfied you have at least the basics.”

 

“I understand, Sir Fionn.  I’ll see you tomorrow morning.”  I replied.

 

“Aye.  Prepare yourself for some bruising, and if you have some armor, I suggest you wear it.”  Sir Fionn smiled in a friendly way, and waved as he headed upstairs – presumably for an early night. 

 

Maybe he was almost as tired as I was?  He ran just as far – just without the extra weight.  Either way I was still tired too.  “I’m going to go get ready for bed soon, Rachel.  I’m beat.”

 

“Well, I can’t.  Alyssa is coming to get me after dinner, and we’re getting “girl lessons’ with Serra Candlow tonight.  I don’t know how late I’ll be.”

 

“Okay.  I’ll see you when I see you then.  Good luck with your lessons.”

 

“And you have a good sleep, doofus.”

 

“Will do.”  I replied, standing up from the table.  “I should go get a little more rest – and maybe a bath, not in that order.  I’ll see you later.”

 

“Later, Jeff.”

 

I headed off to the kitchen to ask Gudrun for some hot water for the bath.  I hoped Rachel’s girl lessons were fun for her.

 

 

*              *              *

 

 

                As Jeff left the common room, I couldn’t help but notice how tired he looked.  He wasn’t really with it during dinner – but at least he was with it enough to notice my hair was longer!  He’s not totally clueless, after all.  I sighed, and wondered what the night held in store for me, too.  I knew I wasn’t going to get the full treatment – I wasn’t having to do this twice a week for a whole year – but I still wasn’t sure what exactly we would be taught.  How do you teach being a girl?

 

                Brooding wasn’t going to solve anything, I decided, so I just waited patiently, and soon Alyssa arrived to escort me to our lessons.  She looked cheerful, but a bit tired – sort of like how I felt.  I waved, and she waved back.  I got up and went over to her.

 

                “Hey, it’s good to see you, Alyssa.”

 

                “The same to you, Rachel.  Are you ready to go to your first “girl” lesson?”

 

                “Yeah.  Any hints as to what we’ll be doing?”

 

                “I don’t know what is planned for tonight, but in the past we’ve done things ranging from baking bread, to washing clothes and laundry, to changing diapers, to gossiping about things, to cross stitching.  There are so many things, I can’t count them all.  I still don’t know many of the things I’ll need half as well as I’d like to, but I’m learning.”

 

                “It sounds overwhelming, actually.”  I replied.

 

                “It is, but it isn’t.” She said.  “It’s really just a little bit at a time, two nights a week – but over a year, that’s twelve nights a month for ten months – it’s a lot of training.  It’s not like we learn in a classroom, like when we learn our letters or our numbers – its more like learning by experience – by doing.  It’s easier than it looks, but because we keep moving around from topic to topic, I sometimes feel like I haven’t completely got the hang of things before we move on.  We’re supposed to keep learning on our own, too.”

 

“Wow.”  I was almost speechless, and a bit intimidated.  It sounded so complicated, and a bit overwhelming.  It didn’t take a genius to know that when I got transformed in a month or so, I was still going to have a LOT to learn…

 

We walked down the dirt roads in town, towards Serra Candlow’s house.  It was a nice sized house with two stories and a basement and attic, and had a decent sized yard attached to it, with a vegetable garden.  The porch had a nice wooden bench on it, that rocked when people sat upon it – a cunning design of wooden gears that simulated a rocking chair.  I wondered if that was expensive?  It seemed to be more complicated than many pieces of local furniture.

 

Alyssa knocked on the door, and we were met by a kindly woman in her forties or early fifties, wearing a burnt orange dress with a brown vest.  She had brown hair, going slightly silver, wrapped in braids, and a little fluffy apron with some flour on it. 

 

“Ah, Alyssa!  Good to see you!  And you must be Rachel?  Seoni told me you would be coming.  Welcome!”

 

“Thank you, Serra Candlow, for inviting me into your home.”

 

“It’s no trouble at all, lass.  Come on in.”

 

We entered, and followed Serra Candlow to the kitchen.  In the kitchen, Serra Candlow had a bit pot boiling, with clothing inside. It smelled gross – like a bit of blood and sex.

 

“What are we doing today, Miera?”  Alyssa asked.

 

“Well, today is new for both of you.  You are aware of how we women need moon day supplies?”

 

“Yes.”  Alyssa replied, and I nodded along with her.

 

“Well, if they are not properly cleaned and sterilized, when they are reused, we will get sick.  Today I will be showing you how to clean and prepare your moon day supplies – and for you, Rachel, how to use them when it comes to your time.  Alyssa, if you need a refresher, you should watch too.”

 

“You reuse your supplies?”  I asked, turning a bit green.  I hadn’t really realized the reality of medieval technology – or lack thereof.  Still, it was part of the package deal, so I had better buckle down and learn it.

 

“Yes, Rachel, we do – and I gather that in your home, you do not.  I hope you will pay special attention.  Cleanliness in a womans special place is very important for your future health.”

 

“Yes ma’am…”  I replied.  It looked like tonight was going to be a very long evening…

 

 

37