Chapter 24 – King Colin
749 9 40
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

                The inside of the chamber was nicely decorated – like the rest of the castle, it showed the wealth and power of four generations of kings and lords.  Tapestries decorated the walls, and fine furniture decorated the room – a fine four poster bed, a few chairs and a couch, some tables with vases of flowers that probably cost enough to feed a family for a month, and paintings of people who probably were very important to the kingdom at one point… And one painting, I knew immediately was the main focus of the room…  A portrait of my grandmother, Lady Janet Fowler, wearing her armor and sword in a mock fighting pose. 

 

                I smiled.  So this is how he remembers her?  His equal – a sword-maiden.  I’m glad.  She was a fighter, that much is for sure.  I wish dad had given her a second chance.

 

                An aged man lay in the bed, dressed in nice clothes, but reclining, as if tired.  At my arrival, he moved to sit up, and for a moment, our eyes locked – and he stared at me in shock.  After a moment, he spoke.

 

                “You have her eyes, lad.  Come forward, so I might see you better.”  His voice sounded deep – but like he was short of breath.  He seemed frail – but very much aware of what was going on around him, and although it looked like age had taken a toll on his body, his mind seemed as sharp as in his youth.

 

                I stepped forward.  “Hello, King Colin.”

 

                “Hello, son.  What do I call you?”

 

                “Sir Jeffrey Castiel Fowler, your Majesty.  I am a newly minted Vigilant of the Twins, and I plan on remaining here in Mercia for the rest of my days.  My Grandmother told me many tales of this land when I was growing up, and I always knew she loved you very much.  She passed into the hands of the gods a few months ago.  I’m sorry.”

 

                King Colin, nodded, tears rolling down his face.  “I think I felt it, when it happened.  I think I knew.  So, my Jane and I made a baby – your father?  What was he like?”

 

                “He… he didn’t believe Grandmothers tales, and when others called her crazy, and took him away from her, he believed them instead of her.  She spent much of her life alone, or in a madhouse.  Her last years were spent at home, reminiscing about her adventures with you, her true love, your Majesty.  When I was young she told me the tales of her youth, and unlike my father, I believed them enough to find the portal, and come to see you.  This world is an amazing place.”

 

                “I am sorry… I failed her – and I failed my son, your father.  Did she ever forgive me, in the end?”

 

                “I believe so, yes.  She wrote this letter to you, knowing it would likely never reach your side – but when she passed, I found it, and resolved to bring it to you.  I also have some other things of hers.”

 

                “Aye.  For one, you have the fancy arm guards I gave to her.  You know, lad – while you wear those you will not suffer from either extreme heat or extreme cold.  I had them enchanted, years ago.”

 

                “I also have these, your Majesty.”  I brought out grandma Janet’s engagement ring, and her letter to King Colin.  “She wore this ring until her dying day, and this is her last message to you, your Majesty.  I don’t know what it says, but I wanted you to have it, so that you could hear her thoughts one last time.”

 

                “Gods bless you, son.  I have done nothing to deserve a child such as you.  Thank you.”  He took the carefully proffered ring, and examined it, tears still running down his cheek.  “Aye, this is the ring I gave your grandmother.  Gods… she was so beautiful back then.  I miss her so.”  For a moment, King Colin broke down into sobs, tears streaming from his face, until he could compose himself enough to wipe away his tears, and while he did, I simply put my hand upon his knee for emotional support.

 

                He set the ring down, and patted my hand.  “May I see the letter, Geoffrey?”

 

                “Aye, of course, your Majesty.”  I said, offering him the letter.

 

                “Please, son.  I am your grandfather, am I not?  I would hear that from you, instead of my title, if you will.”

 

                “Of course.  It would be my pleasure, Grandpa.”

 

                King Colin smiled to hear it, and took the letter with shaky hands.  He took a small dagger, and cut the string tying the letter shut, and opened it to read… aloud, his voice shaking and heavy with emotion.

 

                “My Dearest Colin, I know that this message will never reach you, save perhaps in the afterlife, once we are reunited.  I have missed you every day we have been apart – and for the rest of my life I will wonder why you did not return to me – but my heart broke, and I left – an act I will always regret, because I went where you could not follow.  Perhaps if I had been stronger, we could have been together, but I… I was weak, and thought you changed your mind. YOU were my strength, Colin, and without you I could not endure.”

 

                “I want you to know that I left with your son within me, although I didn’t realize it until I was gone.  He was my pride – but when they took him away from me, and he repudiated me for supposedly telling him lies, my heart broke a second time.  My son had a son as well – Jeffrey Fowler – and he believes the tales of Mercia and its lands.  I plan on giving him my magical amulet, so that if he is brave enough, he can come and see the lands of my heart… and maybe they will become the lands of his heart too.  He is worthy of your bloodline, my love.  He is a good boy who will one day be a good man.  If he comes before you, please treat him with kindness.  Perhaps then when he is with you, you will see the fruits of our love.”

 

                “I am sick, with an illness we call Cancer.  Our artifice cannot save me, and I find I no longer wish to be saved.  I miss you, Colin… I miss you with a fierce pain that rends me from one end to another.  I cannot bear to be apart any longer, and simply wish to see you in my arms once again, so that we might have the life that fate and the gods denied us.  I love you, and have loved you from the moment I laid eyes upon you, that night in the Red Dog Inn.  Your smile, your charm – you stole my heart, and ever since it has been yours to do with what you will.  I will wait for you in Askeline’s hall, my love.  I will wait for you forever.  I will not make the same mistake twice.  I love you, Colin MacTavish, and I can only pray that when we meet once more, you still love me.  Farewell.”

 

                With that, the letter fell into the King’s lap, and Colin held my shoulder for strength, while the other hand covered his face in grief as he sobbed in anguish.  Tears rolled down my face as well – the letter had touched something in me, and I felt grandma’s loneliness and heartsick anguish, her longing to have the love she once felt returned to her.  I couldn’t even imagine what my Grandfather was feeling.

 

                “I have failed her, Geoffrey.  I failed her in every way.  Can you forgive me, my son?”

 

                “I already have, Grandpa.  I figured something must have happened to keep you apart… unless your feelings for her did change?”

 

                “Never!” he hissed.  “My feelings have not changed since the day she accepted my ring.  I… I was delayed, by enemies, and could not return in time…  By the time I had gotten free, she had gone where I could not follow.  Those who stopped me paid the ultimate price, but the damage was done, and my true love was gone.  After that, I realized that I lost more than my love – I lost my will.  You see, son, your grandmother, my beautiful Janet was MY strength.  Together we could withstand any foe – but apart we fell, and were defeated.  I should have never left her side.  Never.”

 

                “Who delayed you, Grandpa?”  I asked.

 

                “Men working for Clan Glairmorgan, although I didn’t learn it until much later – after I had married that poisonous viper and begot on her a son.  I nearly killed her and my wretched son when I found out the truth – but I realized it would not undo the damage that had been done – the damage that I had allowed to happen to my kingdom.  So instead, I gathered information, and learned everything that she did or has done, and played the lovesick fool.  My closest advisor, Alistair, knows the truth.  Is Eacharn with you?”

 

                “He’s just outside, grandfather.  With my friends.  I think he intended to give us some privacy.”

 

                “He is a good lad, and will be of use to you.  If you can, keep him safe for me – he is not his fathers’ son.”

 

                “What do you mean, your Majesty?”

 

“I don’t have long now, Geoffrey.  The Queen will not let me live past this day if she suspects what I am about to do.”  He pulled off the jeweled signet on his left hand, and placed it into my own.  “This is yours, now, Geoffrey.  When I am gone it is my will that you become my heir – the heir to the throne of Callenden, if you would have it.  You will be a better king than the wretched serpent that crawled from between my wife’s poisoned legs – so promise me you will rule wisely, and well… Be a better king than I was, if you can.”

 

“What?  What’s going on?”  Everything was going too fast. 

 

The king, now spry enough to come to his feet, wrested yet another ring from his hand – his right hand, and cast it upon the

floor.  He crossed to a jewelry box, and pulled out another pair of rings, and pressed them into my hands.  “These are the rings I would have wed your grandmother with.  I want you to have them, lad.  Give one to the person you love more than anything in this world.  It will protect them, and bring you closer than you will ever know.  Gods willing, you will live to see that day.”

 

                “Grandfather, what is happening?”

 

                “Geoffrey, I need you to listen to me carefully.”  The king said, forcefully, yet quietly.  “The queen has long been planning my death.  Your arrival will give her the reason to end me – and frame you for my murder.  My son – gods damn him – will claim the throne, and you will be arrested, tortured until you confess to the crime, and then executed.  Unless you escape, now, this will happen.  Eacharn will do as I ask – he will lead you through a secret passage out of the castle, and to safety.  It will not be safe for him here – so please, take him with you.  He is no warrior, but he is an excellent judge of character, and is a skilled administrator… Men like that are extremely valuable so do not waste his talents.  I will summon Alistair, and tell him you are my heir – and he will know what to do to honor my wishes, even if he may not agree with them fully.”

 

                “I’m your heir?!”  I replied in shock as the reality of what was happening hit me.  “Where should I go?  The queen and her son will be searching for us.” 

 

                “You must go west, to the lands of Clan Dremora.  Find King Conner Dremora – he’s an old friend of mine - and present yourself to him, and tell him my last and final wish is for him to support you, and either give you a safe place to hide where Prince Michael cannot reach you, or aid you in retaking my throne from the vipers that arranged this unholy union.             He is one of my oldest friends – and he loved your Grandmother as much as I did in our day.  I am ever grateful she chose me, but it was a close thing, I think, until the end.”

 

                “Do you wish me to retake your throne, Grandfather?”

 

                “I want Lady Hemlock and my son Prince Michael to burn in the seven hells for all eternity.  I want them to suffer for what her family did to your grandmother and myself…  but mostly, I want you to be happy and to live.  If you think my kingdom is worth saving, then do so – and if you do not, then leave, live and be happy.  This ruin is partly of my own making, and I shall reap what I sowed – but I will not allow my kin to harm or kill the only good thing save Eacharn to have come from my line.  Make me proud and live.  I will watch you from heaven above, and pray for you every day my boy.”

 

                With that, King Colin strode to the door, and pulled it open.  “Eacharn, come closer.”  He said, as Alyssa, Tika, Sir Fionn, and Eacharn attempted to bow.  “No, no bowing. There is no time.  Come in, all of you.”

 

                “It is an honor to meet you, your Majesty.”  Alyssa began.

 

                “Not now, girl.  I am sorry to ruin your chance to meet me, but things have been set in motion that I cannot control.  Eacharn, bar the door.”  King Colin, rejuvenated and vital for the moment, gave orders – and was obeyed.  “Sir Ballantine, it is an honor to see you again.”

 

                “The honor is mine, your Majesty.”

 

                “The Queen will be momentarily coming to kill me.  She will kill Geoffrey if she finds him here.  She will use you and these girls as leverage if she finds you here.  You must flee immediately, and leave the city.  Head to Demora and find King Conner.  He knows what will have transpired here.  Geoffrey knows what to do.  My grandson Eacharn will lead you out of the castle – I ask that you take him with you for his safety.  I place Geoffrey in your care Fionn.  He is my grandson, and my chosen heir.  He will be your King, should he survive.  Protect him with your life.”

 

                Sir Fionn drew his sword.  “If it be by my life or my death, I will see it done, my King.  I swear by the Twins holy names.”

 

                “Then so be it.”  King Colin nodded.  “Geoffrey, my grandson.  I am sorry to do this to you.  This is a burden you did not want, and were not raised to…  Do the best you can, and save my people from these vicious snakes.  The people of Callenden deserve better.  Better than I was able to give them, anyway.  Today I go to see my love.  I will tell her how proud you made me, when I first met you.”

 

                “You could come with us!”  I pleaded.

 

                “No, I cannot.  You would never live to get out of the city. Besides, if I stay I may get lucky and take my wife’s head before she stabs me herself.  My story is ended, lad. Yours is just beginning.  Now go… Eacharn, do you understand what is happening?”

 

                “Yes, your Majesty.  I will lead them from the castle.”

 

                “You will go with them, lad.  You are the only good that resulted of my marriage with the queen.  You deserve a chance to be happy.  Go with them.”

 

                “Aye, My Lord. I will.”  Eacharn turned to us, and spoke.  “We must go – there will be very little time.”

 

                “Lead on, boy.”  Fionn grated, and grabbed me to him.  “Cass!  Get your head straight, or today we all die!”              

 

                “Yes!  Sorry, Fionn.  I… I am ready.”

 

                “Then come.”  Prince Eacharn replied.  “There is little time to lose.  King Colin chose these quarters for a reason.  There is a secret passage leading to the outskirts of the castle, to a drainage ditch that leads to the lake.  We can circle around, and re-enter the city, gather what we need, and be off within an hour.  It will take them at least that long to search the castle.”

 

                Without saying a word, we began to follow, and I unsheathed my sword as we did.  I was behind Eacharn, while Alyssa and Rachel were behind me, and Fionn behind them bringing up our rear.  Tika was on Fionn’s shoulder, although when she arrived I didn’t recall – she had disappeared shortly after our audience with the Queen and her son.  She must have rejoined us while I spoke to my grandfather.

               

                Eacharn led us into another chamber – a sitting room of sorts, off the King’s bedroom, and touched a cornice on the wall – and a secret door opened up, silently and quickly.  “Inside, quickly!”  Eacharn ordered us, and so we entered.  He followed last, and closed and barred the hidden door.  It was dark in the hidden passage, until a small witch-light was summoned by Alyssa, barely enough to see by.

 

                “I see you are a woman of many talents, Serra Seranel.”  Eacharn grinned.  “Come.  We have a ways to go.”

 

                “Yes, milord.”  Alyssa replied, a little surprised. 

 

                Eacharn reached into a nook, and found a torch, which he quickly lit with what looked like some matches saved for this purpose.  Once lit, he took the lead again, and led us down a short passage thick with spiderwebs.  At the end, a spiral stair took us down one, then two and then three levels – so that at that point I think we were below the castle’s ground level.  Once there, he led us swiftly down another passage to another hidden door – easily seen from this side, of course. 

 

                “Beyond this door is an open gallery.  The gallery is long, and there may be some servants in it.  If we are not seen, it would be for the best – but if we are, then speed will be our only ally.  We must reach the end of the gallery, and then take the leftmost passage to the wine cellar.  There is a hidden door in the wine cellar that takes us to the hidden culvert.  If we get separated, meet me in the wine cellar – anyone not there will be left behind.”

 

                “And if guards try to stop us?”  I asked, already realizing the answer.

 

                “Don’t let them, my King, unless you wish to lose your head.”  Eacharn advised. 

 

                I nodded, and motioned for him to open the door – but before he could, Alyssa grabbed his arm, and said.  “No!  Wait!  I can help.  Before I left Ender’s Hollow I was learning Sight magic – I can make us invisible for a short time.  It will drain me a great deal, but I think I can get us to the wine cellar unseen.”

 

                “But Alyssa, you barely mastered that spell for just you!  If you do it for all of us, you could get hurt!”  Tika cried in worry.

 

                Rachel nodded.  “It’s too much.”

 

                “I don’t care.  I won’t let us be captured, and if that means I strain a little, then so be it.”  Alyssa replied with steel in her voice.  “I have to.”

 

                “Be careful, Alyssa.”  Rachel replied.  “I’ll watch out for you.”

 

                “Thanks, Rachel.  You’re a good friend.”  Alyssa answered.  “You too, Tika – we might need your spells before we’re out of here.”

 

                Tika nodded grimly.  “I’ll be ready!”

 

                Rachel nodded, and began concentrating – and one by one, each of us faded from view – even our own – until none but Tika remained visible.  By the time she finished the fifth casting, she looked strained and fatigued, and I was worried for her considering the risks Rachel told me too much magic use imposed.  At the end of the fifth spell, she very nearly fainted, and I grabbed her just before she would have fallen.  I swept her into my arms, and carried her, sheathing my grandmothers’ sword in the process. 

 

                “I’ve got you.”  I said, gently.  She nodded quietly, and seemed to black out, hanging limp in my arms, a little bit of blood leaking from her nose.

 

                “Is she going to be okay?”  Tika asked.

 

                “I don’t know, Tika.  I don’t know.” I replied.

 

                “Now, to the end of the gallery, and turn left into the wine cellar.  Meet me by the blue barrel in the back left corner.”  Eacharn’s voice said quietly.  “Hurry, but try not to bump anyone nor knock anything over.  If no one knows we came here, all the better.”  Eacharn dowsed his torch.

 

                The door opened, and we moved quickly and quietly.  I felt Rachel’s hand on my shoulder, and I was carrying Alyssa, and together we made our way quickly down the gallery.  The hidden door closed behind us – Eacharn’s work no doubt, and I could hear Fionn’s steps nearby, and the quiet jingle of his mail.  Tika scampered alongside us, running as fast as she could, while still hiding near the floor.  Alyssa, Rachel and I reached the wine cellar, and moved inside – only to nearly run into two servants gathering what looked like a dozen wine bottles in a wire basket.  I carefully moved around them – and together the three of us, and Tika, got to the blue barrel.  A moment later we were joined by Fionn.  The men gathered the last of their bottles, and left the wine cellar, leaving us in the dark.

               

                A few moments later, I felt unfamiliar hands touch my side, but saw nothing.  Eacharn’s voice whispered to me from the dark.  “Geoffrey, you need to move to the left.  You’re blocking my opening the passage.”

 

                “My apologies.  I could not see you.”

 

                “And neither could I see you… Ah!  There!”  There was a clicking sound, and the face of the great blue barrel – easily six feet tall on its side – opened up to reveal a passage.  “Quickly… Inside.”

 

                We stepped inside, and were followed by the others, and then the door clicked shut, sealing us in the dark.  A few moments later, Eacharn’s torch burst into flame and we could see again.  Alyssa’s spell was wearing off – we appeared to be moderately translucent images slowly reappearing from nowhere.  She looked pale, and it was obvious I wasn’t the only one worried – Rachel and Tika looked very concerned.

 

                “Will she be alright?”  Eacharn asked.

 

                “I don’t know.  The sooner we’re out of here, the better she’ll be.”

 

                “There is money for the journey, and for supplies, near the culvert entrance.  I know where we can find a coach and horses, and ride out of the city to safety, as long as we can get past the guards at the city gates.”  Eacharn relayed to us.  “We just have to get to the culvert, which is down this tunnel, and down a few stairs.  Once out, we can find our way into the city and get what we need.”

 

                Eacharn led the way once again, and Fionn followed him, blade in hand.  I fell in behind, with Alyssa and Rachel and Tika, and we moved forward as swiftly and as silently as we could.  In the distance, a bell was ringing, deep and sonorous.  Either the alarm was sounded, or the king was dead.  Or both.  I will avenge you, grandfather.  I swore.  I will save your kingdom.  I will punish the wicked, and give solace to the just.  I swear it!  

 

We descended another flight of steps – and I staggered more than once under Alyssa’s dead weight, but we made it – and soon we found ourselves in a series of tunnels, with water running down channels in the center of the aisle, leaving two dry areas on either side of the water.  It looked as if the castle sewers drained into this culvert, for the stench was tremendous, and nearly made all of us gag, Sir Fionn included.  At the end of the culvert tunnel, there was an iron grate with a sturdy lock, and to the side a small niche.

 

Eacharn searched the niche, and from a hidden stone procured a small sack of coins, and some other goods I assumed we would need, as well as several dun colored cloaks.  “Cover yourselves.  We cannot be seen with our fine clothes – it will lead the Queen’s troops right to us.  These are our disguises.”

 

“What now, lad?”  Fionn asked.  “You seem to have been in on this plan.  What is the next move?”

 

“Get to your inn, and gather your goods, then leave immediately and meet me across town by the statue of Lord Feryn Sheildstrike.  I’ll be waiting there with a coach and several good horses, and as much in supplies as I can find.  We will need to leave quickly.  If they seal the city gates, we’re doomed.”

 

“Aye, I know the way to the statue.  I will lead them.”  Sir Fionn answered.  “Lad, you need to make sure the ladies get to the inn, and get our things.  I will be waiting outside as a guard.  Tell Stefano that things did not go well – he will find a way to get you to the statue, if I cannot.”

 

“I will.”  I said.  “I will, Fionn.”

 

“Good.  Lead the way, Eacharn.”

 

Eacharn nodded, and took a key from a small keyring and unlocked the grate.  “Come.  I should lock it again, once we leave.”

 

                We quickly scurried out, and Eacharn locked the gate from our side.  All of us were here, and we quickly donned the dun colored cloaks.  I wrapped Alyssa in hers – she was still unconscious, although the bleeding from her nose seemed to have finally stopped.  I couldn’t help but worry for her.  I hope she’s going to be okay!

 

                “We’re east of the city, near the lake.  We need to circle around to the docks, and head into the city.  Do you know the way to your inn?”

 

                “They don’t, but I’ve been walking the halls and streets of this city before you were in diapers, lad.”  Fionn replied.  “I’ll get them there, and to the statue.  You go find what you need – we won’t be getting far at all on foot.”

 

                “Aye…”  Eacharn turned to me, and waited.  “My king, do I have your leave?”

 

                Fuck me!  “Yes!  Do what you must.  We will meet you where Fionn says.”

 

                Eacharn nodded, and ran for the city.  Fionn looked to me, and motioned to a side street nearby.  “Get up and into the streets, lad.  I’ll lead the way.  Everyone, keep close, and don’t get left behind.”

 

                “I’m scared!”  Tika cried.  “Are we in trouble?”

 

                “Yes, Tika.”  Rachel said, picking the little Reechi up.  “We are in a lot of trouble.  Keep your wits, my friend,  We’ll need them.  I’m scared too.”

 

                “…O-okay…”  Tika clung close to Rachel, and climbed up to her shoulder. 

 

Together, we left the culvert and made for the city.  Either there were few guards on this part of the walls, or the guards were lax… either way, we were able to slip into the city streets without being seen, for which I was very glad.  Alyssa wasn’t terribly small, and her weight – combined with the haste of our travel – was wearing on me quickly. 

 

There were bells ringing from the castle – and from the anguished looks amongst the crowd, I suspected they signaled the death of King Colin…  Bastards!  Fionn, Rachel and I slipped through the streets mostly unseen and un noticed, and soon arrived at the Spotted Toad.  Fionn strode up to the door, and held it open for Rachel, Tika and myself.  Inside, Stefano and his wife Lucia looked worried. 

 

“Is this your doing, my friend?”  Stefano asked. 

 

“No, my friend – but for your family’s safety, we didn’t stay here and we didn’t say where we were going if we did, if you get my meaning.”  Fionn replied.

 

“What has happened?”

 

“I suspect that King Colin has died to an assassins’ knife – wielded either by his wife, his son, or one of their men.  I have to get my friends out of the city.  We’re grabbing our things and leaving.  I’ll find a way to pay you back one day, my friend.”

 

“Aye… but for now you can pay me back by surviving.  Lucio, help them with their bags.”

 

“Aye.”  Lucio ran upstairs, followed by Rachel and Tika. 

 

I sat Alyssa down in a chair and laid my hand upon her brow… she felt hot, and ill.  I could feel her hurting, so I concentrated, and lent her some of my strength… energy flowed from within me, to her, and little by little I could feel her hurts lessening.  At last, she shifted, and woke, and I gasped with fatigue.  It was the first time I actually healed someone, and I felt literally exhausted. 

 

“Cass, are you well?” Rachel asked quietly. 

 

“Aye, just tired.  You should be too.”

 

“Aye, I am… no business of yours.  If you hadn’t made a mess of things this would never have happened!”

 

“I… I beg your pardon?”  I asked, confused.

 

“I… I’m sorry, Geoffrey.  Cass.  My mind isn’t quite well at the moment.  I think you heard the Call of Hrask in my voice.  I did not mean what I said.”

 

“It’s all right for now, Alyssa.  You did well.  Rest, at least for a moment.”

 

                “Aye, I will.”  She replied, squeezing my hand possessively.  I let it linger there for a moment, then reclaimed my hand.  I was willing to accommodate her Call to a degree, but that was too much.  It didn’t feel quite right.

 

                A few moments later, Lucio came down with both my pack and Fionn’s and we quickly packed what we needed away, and Fionn helped me don my armor.  Once garbed for battle, I picked up my spear, and shouldered my pack.  While I donned my armor, Tika and Rachel came downstairs with Rachel and Alyssa’s things. 

 

                “Alyssa!  Are you okay?”

 

                “Do I look…”  Alyssa stopped herself before she snapped at the little Reechi.  “I’m sorry Tika… I am not myself.  The Call of Hrask is upon me.  I did too much.”

 

                “Oh… okay.”  Tika scampered over to Alyssa and up to her shoulder.  “You’ll be okay.  I’m here now.”

 

                “Aye, my little friend.  We’ve been together since I was fourteen summers old and you were five summers old, haven’t we, Tika?”

 

                “Yup! Yup! Yup!”  Tika chattered, trying to stay calm.

 

                Rachel shouldered her pack, and handed Alyssa her pack, which was quite a bit smaller than Rachel’s, but still large enough to be cumbersome.  “Can you handle it, or should I carry it?”

 

                “I can carry it, Rachel.”  Alyssa snipped, before catching herself.  A single glance from Rachel told her she didn’t need to apologize – she already knew what the Call of Hrask could do to someone.  “Sorry.”

 

                “Don’t worry about it, Alyssa.  Let’s just get going.”

 

                “Aye, we’re taking too long.”  Fionn muttered nervously.  “We need to get out of the city as quickly as we can, and then make for the north east to Pesir.”

 

                “But… But I thought…”  Tika began.

 

                Fionn silenced her with a growl so frightening, Tika went “Eep!” and hid behind Alyssa’s head.  “I don’t trust our ally.  We go our own way, once we leave the city.  No arguments.  Form up!  We’re leaving.”

 

                I smiled at Fionn’s statement.  He didn’t know if he could trust anyone.  We weren’t going to Pesir – but if anyone in the inn would talk, they would send Queen Hemlocks troops on a wild goose chase.  It might buy us time.  “C’mon, girls. It’s time to go.”

 

                They nodded, and we headed out onto the street and into the city.

               

 

*              *              *

 

 

                I stood proudly in my chainmail… a little wobbly, perhaps, but proudly.  It had been years since I wore my armor, or wielded my old sword.  I’m glad I kept you sharp, my friend.  They will be coming for me soon, I thought.  I wonder who they will send?  Their lapdogs, Sir Lascarl and Sir Kennit, or I wonder if my son will have the balls to face me himself?  I doubt it very much.   I pray you got away safe, my grandsons.  Even if I die this day, my line can live on through you both.  Make me proud.  Oh gods, I never thought I would have another son… Janet, I failed you so badly.  I hope you can forgive me.

 

                When they came for him, it was Sir Kennit and Sir Lascarl who came. 

 

                “So, my lapdog of a son is too cowardly to slay me himself?” I laughed.  “I shouldn’t be surprised.” I said.  “The only thing he’s killed lately is a keg or two.”

 

                “My king, do not make us do this.”  Sir Kennit said. 

 

                “I make you do nothing.  You serve my wife and her son, not me.  Kill me if you can, worm.  I will kill you, if I am able.  Not all my strength has left me.”

 

                The two knights drew their swords, and advanced… and as they did, I threw my throwing axe at one!  Sir Lascarl managed to raise his blade to parry, but nearly was skewered when the my lunge nearly took him in the chest.  Sir Kennit moved in to melee and flanked me.  It was two to one, and each of these men was easily thirty years or more my junior.  No, there was only one way this battle was ending.  The only question was would I be able to kill or maim one of them before I died?

 

                The battle was short and vicious… I stabbed and took Sir Kennit in the chest, below the left lung, and my son’s first lapdog  dropped to the floor in a pool of his own blood – but the odds were never in my favor, and I knew it.  I felt Sir Lascarl’s blade take me from behind, like a white hot fire in my spine…  I fell to the floor, and oddly, I couldn’t feel my legs.  It didn’t really hurt at all – but I couldn’t feel my legs.  Bastard must have stabbed me right in the spine.  I tried to turn to face him, and felt him roll me over, his blade to my chest.

 

                “To hell with you, old man!”  He spat in my face. 

 

I grinned.  “You first, traitor.  My ancestors look down upon me with honor.  Can yours say the same?”

 

He reared back to strike – and I knew my time was done, but by Isundal’s torch I wasn’t going to die like a coward!  I palmed a dagger, and thrust for the weak spot in his chainmail armor – the little hole under his armpit, where the mail was thinner.  I stabbed with what strength was left in me, and I felt his blade puncture my chest and lung… I gasped – and only blood came out.  Sir Lascarl groaned, and fell to my side…  With any luck the bastard would die with me!

 

He lay gasping, bleeding profusely as he struggled to reach the knife embedded in his chest and lung.  I didn’t see if he managed to pull it free before my vision left me… and then I was gone, floating in a starry void.  This is it, I thought.  I just died.  The kingdom is in your hands now, Geoffrey.

 

I could feel I wasn’t alone, and when I looked, I could see the maiden waiting for me.  Selene, the youngest of the goddess Askeline’s three forms.  I bowed deeply.  “My lady.  I take it this is where I go to meet my fate?”

 

*Aye, King Colin MacTavish.  It is.*

 

“I have not been a good king, nor a good father.”

 

*I’m sorry to say that you have not, Colin.  But you have been a good man, and that counts for something.*  The goddess said.  *It is time to make your choice, Colin MacTavish.*

 

“My choice is made. I will go wherever the spirit of Janet Fowler resides, be it heaven or hell, or somewhere in between.  Perhaps if I can see her again, the mess I’ve made of our lives can be repaired somehow.”

 

*Love will always find a way, Colin MacTavish.  Trust your heart.*

 

“I always have.  Perhaps too much, my lady.  If I listened to my heart less, I might have been a better king – but not true to myself.  Janet was my strength – and with her I could withstand any storm.  Without her, I couldn’t even stand on my own.”

 

*If you had listened to your heart less, you may have been a more efficient king, but you would have been less a man.  It is time.  Make your choice.*

 

                Before me shimmered a portal of brass and ivory, shining and white and perfect.  “I go where the spirit of my love rests.  I care not where that may be.”

 

                *So be it.*  Askeline stepped up and withdrew a single key from the chain of keys she possessed.  Her keys were the keys to life and death, and what came afterwards.  She placed a rosy key in the door, and the door unlocked. 

 

                “Will you watch over my Grandson for me, my lady?”

 

                *I watch over all the people of the world, Colin.  I can spare a moment for your grandson, but he is watched more carefully by my children.  He is sworn to the twins, and they will guide him.  Your trials are over.  Go to her.  She is waiting for you.*

 

                I turned to look through the ivory portal – and there she was… My Janet, lovely as the day we met!  Her youth was restored, and she was beautiful and strong, quirky and wise…  I turned from Askeline, and took a step towards the love of my life.  “Can you forgive me, my love?”  I asked.

 

                “I already have, Colin.  Please, it’s time to come home.  Come home to me, Colin.  I’ve missed you so much.”  Janet pleaded, and I couldn’t deny her. 

 

                I took a step forward, and I felt her arms close around me.  I was home.  All thoughts save love and peace fled from me, and I melted into the arms of my first and only love.  I was home.

 

 

*              *              *

 

 

                The portal closed behind Colin MacTavish, leaving Askeline alone for a while.  A few moments later, her daughter and son, Feana and Hathor appeared nearby. 

 

                *King Colin has gone to his reward.  He has been reunited with Lady Fowler.  At last.*  She said.

 

                *And now young Geoffrey must achieve his destiny, or all else may fail.*  Feana said.

 

                *Aye, my daughter.  Now he must take the throne, or no one will be in place to aid her when she needs it.*

 

                *Why must we play these games, mother?*  Hathor asked. *We could simply ask him to aid her.”

 

                *You know as well as I that we follow these rules to honor the requests of our father.  We cannot interfere, save in ways we are allowed.  If we took direct action, then so would the Dark Three – or Great Maker forbid, the Dark Four should she return.  We cannot risk the mortals suffering as they did in the past.  It was nearly the end of this world.*

 

                *I remember what you taught us, mother… It just seems so arbitrary. All this for our sister? Why?*

 

                *My son, I sympathize with you.  They are all my children, as are you.  I hate playing these games as much as you do.  If you have another way we can achieve some good, then please, I am all ears.*

 

                *I don’t know.  It hurts me to use them as pawns.  We sit and play chess, and follow the rules, while the Dark Three cheat and break the rules as if they don’t exist.  I feel as helpless as the mortals at times!*  Hathor sighed.  *What are we to do?*

 

                *Trust him.  Trust your father and I.  The light of the Great Maker has never misguided us before.  If we hold true, it will be our guide.  He has not forsaken us… but until he returns, this world is in our care, and we must shepherd it as best we can, and lead it into the light.*

 

                *And what of Geoffrey?* Hathor asked.  *Did I heal his mind just to see him thrown onto the pyre of fate?*

 

                *Of course not!* Askeline chided.  *But he must still make his own choices.  If we demand they do as we command, then they lose any semblance of free will.  Of choice.  That choice is what turns the web of fate, and the web of fate is what will determine the course of this war.  If Geoffrey makes the right choices, then the Lady of Hope will live to join us – and if he does not, she may very well die.  She may die anyway, with the trials awaiting her.  We owe it to her to give her a chance to join us, if she can, but part of that choice is also hers to make.  I have been waiting for so long, and to have her so close, and yet so far is… difficult.*

 

                *Aye,* Feana rejoined.  *We have been waiting for her almost as long as you have.*

 

                *Aye, you have, my daughter.*  Askeline replied.  *Hathor, if you can find another way to put the pieces we need into play, and have them take the field so that what must be will be, then I swear I will listen, and try it if it seems like there is even a small chance of it working.  I do not like playing as the weaver of fate.  I do not like playing chess with my children.  I want to let them be happy, and live full lives.  I long to change the way of things as much as you do, but until I have an alternative, I cannot stop – and neither can any of us, unless we want to see all that we’ve worked for cast down into ruin.*

 

                *Very well, mother.  I will do as you ask – but if I do find another way, you will listen to what I have to say?*

 

                *I swear it, my son.*

 

                Hathor nodded, and was gone in a shimmer of rainbow light.  No longer in the starry void, he was standing in a palace of glistening white ice.  Shining White was its name, a palace in the northlands of Yaskar, sealed behind an impassible labyrinth of ice and snow, guarded by their chosen people… the Harvon and the Wolfen.  This was their home away from home, for when He or his sister needed to work amongst the mortals.  Hathor looked towards a chessboard in the corner of the room – set with pieces, all arrayed.  White was surrounded, and Black had a distinct advantage.  But all was not lost… Not yet.  *I wonder if you are ready, Geoffrey.  You are young and un-tested… But you and your friends are the only pieces we have left on the board.  I wonder if you realize that the fate of Callenden is the least of your worries?  That the game is so much larger than you can imagine, or that so much rests on winning here and now?  Rest easy, my Vigilant.  Feana and I will guide you as best we can – but you will be moving the pieces.*

               

                Hathor sat for a while and studied the board, testing moves and countermoves in his mind, one by one… and slowly he saw a way it might work!  He grinned.  We have a chance, he thought.  If only Geoffrey is wise enough to see it.  If he sees it before it is too late, that is.  Hathor watched the board, as the pieces began to move.  Things were about to happen – and the game would rest on the next few moves.

 

 

 

40