The Familiar of Fate: Chapter 102 – I’m here(3)
250 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Liza laughed nervously, with Fate instantly beginning his interrogation of her. However, despite being somewhat reluctant, Liza began to recount a meeting she had had with Jacob some days prior…

She had been summoned to Agatha’s office, which in her mind seemed quite normal, however, the circumstances of her summons were strange…

 

Liza: “I’m meant to report on the young lord’s activities on the seventh day of each week...but I haven’t even been allowed to see him for three entire weeks! Could there be something wrong with him, is that what this is?!”

 

Needless to say, she had been quite concerned over Fate’s current situation is unknown, but had kept her feelings below the surface while combing for information. However, rumors of the ‘cursed child,’ one of Fate’s apparent nicknames, among the servants of the manor were scarce, and no matter how much she searched, she discovered nothing, save for a casual insult for the son that the servants had long since lost interest in…

 

Calming herself, she quickly suppressed her emotions and knocked three times on the wooden door, but was met with no answer...Her seemingly calm and gentle gaze shifted into a cold, emotionless stare. She now began to lightly, almost inaudibly tap the ground with her shoes, continuously repeating the same pattern, until…

 

[clack][clack] 

 

A swift and crisp clacking emanated from the doorknob, prompting Liza to slowly twist it, allowing her to view the inside of the room, which appeared to be devoid of life. There was a large black desk, covered in ornate, gems that formed a series of interwoven crescent moons. The office also contained a tall leather chair, several bookshelves, and a long window, that had large blinds that stood on either side of it, and that allowed the room’s occupant to view the luminescent moon in the night sky...

 

She quickly entered, pulling the door closed behind her...

 

[clack!]

 

It appeared to have locked the moment she closed it, and the radiant light of the moon now ceased its illumination of the office, as the blinds now blocked it from view. Liza now observed a familiar man, who stood with his back turned to her and his hands clasped firmly together behind him. Liza raised a hand to her chest, bowing slightly as she began to speak.

 

Liza: “Greetings, Lord Jacob. I believe that I was summoned, correct?”

 

As he began to slowly turn around, some things struck Liza as odd. The back of his vest appeared to be covered in small tears, his hair was slightly ruffled, and as she became able to see his face, she saw that he had a slight burn mark on his lower left cheek.

 

His clothes, as well, were covered in a series of small tears and burn marks, though he himself seemed almost completely uninjured, save for the previously mentioned burn on his cheek. Liza was understandably shocked, as anybody who knew of Jacob’s strength wouldn’t dare attack him, and those who attacked him unaware of his strength, understandably, didn’t live very long…

 

However, she quickly realized that she was letting her emotions show, and attempted to hide her shocked expression…

 

Jacob: “That brat has absolutely no regard for one’s attire, and though I’m sure that you already noticed, I would very much appreciate it if we didn’t discuss my...unbefitting appearance.”

 

Unlike Jacob’s usually stoic and composed self, he was visibly annoyed and didn’t seem to be restraining himself from venting his frustration. Liza, by this time, had fixed her expression, but Jacob didn’t seem to pay much attention to this.

 

Liza: “I believe that, as we are not in the presence of the Lady, you are the deciding authority on what is proper, Lord Jacob. That said, I wish to enquire…”

 

Jacob heaved a sigh…

 

Jacob: “About the current happenings concerning the young master? I assumed as much, given your attempted information gathering over the past weeks…”

 

Liza felt a shiver go down her spine, but stopped herself from nervously gulping, as she watched as Jacob now began to pace around the small room with his cold glare fixed on her, while his lips began to curve upwards…

 

Jacob: “You never cease to impress me, young miss. Given your way of interacting with the other servants and roundabout questioning methods, you never obtained any solid information, but were able to pass beneath our Lady’s gaze, undetected...splendid…”

 

Liza forcibly restrained herself from clutching at her dress as she began losing control of her emotions…

 

However, despite Jacob’s cold and sneering tone, his praise didn’t seem disingenuous. He clutched at the tears in his vest, lightly stroking the areas around them as if scanning them with his fingers…

 

Jacob: “That cheeky brat...he almost seemed completely different during his struggle, though the result was inevitably the same…”

 

Liza felt her lip tremble as Jacob’s cold tone grew more joyous, as a sadistic smile began to spread across his face. Finally, she couldn’t stand the mounting sense of dread that was welling up from within her and began to exclaim...

 

Liza: “D-d...did you…?!”

 

But before she could speak another word, Jacob suddenly stopped dead in his tracks, his terrifying grin having faded from his face as he raised a finger to her forehead…

 

He coldly glared into her now quivering eyes, looking down upon her like a wolf at its next prey…

 

Jacob: “I would suggest that you engage in our conversations, in a manner befitting one of your standing, young miss. I remind you that, though you may hold a more significant status outside of these hallowed walls, within this manor, you are to treat every word I speak as indispensable…”

 

Liza felt her entire body grow cold, as the finger that made contact with her head now became a knife, allowing Jacob to slowly plunge his icy words into her skull, while she was left unable to resist…

 

Jacob: “Your house placed you in my care, specifically so that I may mentor you in the techniques that they have prided themselves in, thus I will take every opportunity to aid in your improvement...So know that your place is not to question, but to absorb, understand...?”

 

She nodded slightly with tears building in her eyes, not daring to meet Jacob’s gaze. He, in turn, removed his finger from her forehead, ceasing the violent chill that had seemingly been cast over her…

 

He returned to his original position near the blinds, once again, clasping his hands behind his back and sighing deeply…

 

Jacob: “Ah, I was so engrossed in our ‘lesson’ that I almost neglected to mention the matter of the young master, didn’t I!”

 

He brought his hands together, creating a loud clap! From there, he began his story...

4