The Familiar of Fate: Chapter 111 – First Kill(1)
208 3 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

...

Fate’s eyes twitched at her statement, but still remained empty as he stared into her eyes, which were gradually turning red as tears flowed from them. Fate felt some part of his heart sink at this sight, but this was overwhelmed by the fear that had grown, the closer he got to the outside. 

He tried to wrest his fist from Liza’s gentle grip, only to find that it had become as solid as concrete, not allowing him to even attempt an escape…

Still, though, no matter how he struggled, Liza’s continued to restrain him, while gently stroking her fingers through his hair. Clearly, she was also struggling...which brought forth a question from the corners of his mind, something that he had long neglected to ask himself and Liza…

Fate ceased his pitiful attempts at attaining his freedom to wander off to his death, and froze for a moment, a shred of life clinging to the surface of his dead eyes as he gazed at his hand. 

-Why...does she care this much? I haven’t done...anything for her...but she listens to me...takes care of me...and I barely ever thank her for it...so...why?

He felt a lump form in his throat as the question attempted to claw its way through his fears, through his own cowardice and indecisiveness, begging to ask her the reason…

However, the hand that had been running through his hair now rested a finger on his lips, preventing him from voicing his query, looking down at Fate with a mix of hope and despair in her eyes. Soon, both of her slender hands held his, as she looked at him with a sad smile, very similar to his.

Liza: “Are you...grateful for this servant performing her duties?”

Fate couldn’t bring himself to try speaking again, so he gave a short nod, while more traces of emotion  were able to light the corners of his eyes.

Her sad smile slowly shifted into a gentle, warm smile...

Liza: “Then this one is grateful as well, truly.~ I have truly been enjoying myself while I’ve been with you, though, as for the reason…”

Her hand left its counterpart and Fate’s, rising to wipe the tears that had stained her face, before placing a single finger over her smile and closing her eyes…

Liza: “It might be imprudent, but this one wishes that you return from your encounter with a smile on your face, before you are privy to her secrets.~”

She released his hand, which by now had been dyed in her warmth, allowing it to limply return to his side, still holding the glass containers. Liza then lowered her hand from her lips, positioning it in front of Fate, seemingly to shake his hand.

As he looked at her questioningly, she giggled quietly…

Liza: “I shall not force anything on you. If you wish to find some way to escape this manor, I shall aid you. If you wish to encroach upon the leadership of the household, I shall assist, though I don’t believe it suits you. But, if you wish to agree to my terms, to begin to understand this simple servant after you’ve broken through the jaws of death...then, please...Fate, take my hand…”

Fate thought about it a moment, questioning himself on what this would lead to. If he wanted to, he could try to escape the manor, and she would help him. But, savoring the strange warmth that was spreading throughout his body from his hand, he came to an instinctive decision, as the light finally returned to his eyes.

Two hands now clasped together, signifying that a deal had been brokered, a bet made, a wager gambled, and one that would culminate in a change in Fate, though he would most likely remain unaware of it. Both children smiled at each other, but, almost instantly, Liza pivoted to face away from Fate, as a handkerchief appeared from a hidden pocket in her uniform.

Liza: “...I can’t believe that I presented such a face to the young lord…!”

She muttered to herself about her shameful appearance while carefully drying her face with the small cloth, as Fate could only feel to lightly smile at this display. However, after a short while, Liza turned back to Fate with a determined smile...

Liza: “Glad to see you’re in better spirits, my lord, though I would encourage you to hold up your end of the deal, or you might find yourself at the mercy of my darker side…~”

Although he now felt that he was filled with light, this playful statement sent a small chill along the back of his neck, as the current Liza was already so persuasive and her attitude so infectious, he didn’t want to see those powers wielded against him.

[Ahem!]

She lightly coughed into her hand, as she indicated for Fate to display the bottles, which she carefully inspected, seemingly becoming shocked at each one…

Liza then looked to Fate, the surprised expression now, once more, becoming a smile, though this one seemed confident, as she took the vial of lemon-colored liquid from his hand, holding it between her fingers as both children were transfixed by its subtle shimmer, amidst the darkness…

Liza: “Listen carefully, young master, for I believe that I may be able to increase the likelihood that you will come out of this ordeal with the brightest smile, plastered on your face!~”

Fate nodded, and the two children began to plot…

...

[Chapters completed this week(little late with the last two): 6/7]

4