The Familiar of Fate: Chapter 42 – Keeping up appearances(4)
1.1k 2 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Liza usually playfully contemplated her discoveries and odd imaginations while walking down the hall, however, today she was feeling nervous.

 

-He said anything within his power to grant! A wish! Why could it only have been one?! What should I ask him to do for me?!

 

She was feeling nervous because of what Fate had said a day ago, that he would grant her a wish that was within his limited means to grant. The usually laid-back Liza now had an internal vigor that caused her daily duties to be performed with less efficiency while prioritizing her energetic heart’s desires.

 

Liza took several deep breaths to calm herself down, which thankfully no one was around to hear or else they might mistake it as her getting sick or having been poisoned.

 

Liza: “But, of all the requests he could have made...why was it such a simple one?”

Liza: “What is it you need, my young lord?”

 

The day prior, Fate had made his vow that he would give her a wish that was within his power as long as she indulged him a request. Liza had immediately responded out of instinct and was still processing what he had just told her, but she listened attentively for his request…

 

Fate: “I need you to report to Mother and Jacob that each day I seem to be growing less sane whenever you enter the room.”

 

Liza: “Yes, yes...I’m sorry?”

 

Fate: “Yes, I need you to lie to them and make it seem as though my sanity is rapidly declining along with my panic over the door rising while not implicating that you’re lying.”

 

Liza was still on her knees, but even though it was uncomfortable, could not bring herself to get up or move.

 

-He’s making a request that’s...not even slightly difficult, but he’s treating it like it’s life and death or…!...Does he just not trust me that much?

 

Liza’s face formed into a polite smile and she gave Fate a short nod, however, just when she had almost found the strength to get up, Fate’s hand caught her wrist. She immediately began to worry about what he would tell her next, but she never expected what he told her next…

 

Fate: “It isn’t that I don’t trust you, it’s just that I need you to not get caught...I don’t think I’d be able to get someone who’s as agreeable with this as you are...but we’re still not friends.”

 

She started to feel her cheeks growing warm and her polite smile was being forcibly restrained from turning into an awkward mess. He let go of her wrist with a frustrated look, yet he also seemed to be restraining himself from assuming another face. 

 

-He actually…

 

Liza quickly stopped herself from thinking too much too quickly and immediately raised herself off the floor with a smile, while Fate hung his head low, presumably signaling that he was waiting for her to leave. However, he was surprised to find Liza offering her hand to him with the same smile, although this one didn’t seem forced.

 

For him, who had been brought into this world under unfortunate circumstances and constantly treated as if he didn’t belong, it was something he didn’t even question for a moment. For once, someone was offering their hand, they were sincerely showing that they cared…

 

-He looks...so happy. This is a face that I genuinely didn’t think I’d see until perhaps years later, but...he really is...just like me…

 

As for what face Fate was making that could rouse such emotion within her...that would be her secret to know and no one else’s. Fate took her hand and she hoisted him to his feet, which was surprisingly easy despite him being almost the same size as her.

 

However, she took no notice of this, merely bowing to him and leaving him alone once again.

-Even my seniors are starting to notice it...even though one of them encouraged me, but called him…!

 

Out of rage, she suddenly kicked the wall, making a small crack appear in the wood paneling where she had kicked! Even though she felt slightly guilty about it, she was too overwhelmed with the spiralling emotions in her heart and all of the advice she had been given by the other maids...plus the flurry of insults towards Fate, though these were all proceeded by how worried they were about her due to her position.

 

-It doesn’t matter, I just need to keep my head straight, but I think...I think that I’ll have to wait until my lord says that I can stop my task of inserting fallacies into my reports…But I just can’t stop thinking about it!

 

Liza: “Ahhh, what am I going to do with myself?!”

 

 Unbeknownst to Liza, she had gained a small following of maids, who would endeavour to support her in her personal matters...Misguided as they were, it was funny to see the effect that the emotions of a mere child could influence so many people.

Agatha: “So you didn’t find anything notable about him other than his slightly abnormal strength and the report has been proven correct?”

 

Agatha sat at her desk reading through various dusty tomes and volumes while Jacob stood in front of her, presenting his findings from his ‘trip’ to Fate’s room.

 

Jacob: “Correct, though his strength does not appear to be as ‘monstrous’ as we had feared, rather it appears that it might have taken him...several days and sustaining numerous self-inflicted injuries to create that crack in the wall that I saw and was described in young miss Liza’s report.”

 

He spoke with his eyes closed and his hands folded behind his back, appearing as the spitting image of what one imagines an elderly butler to be. Agatha took a break from scrolling the texts on her desk to rub her temples, at which point Jacob removed her fingers from her forehead.

 

Jacob: “My lady, it is important that you keep yourself in good health, not to mention that you must relieve yourself of your stress. Else, time may not be so kind to your beautiful skin.”

 

Jacob’s tone was firm, like a parent scolding their child and though stubborn, Agatha consented to a massage.

 

-It is important that she not attempt to confirm the details herself...She should just leave management of the child to me...


P.S. - Got ban for 2 more days while writing with my main PC cause I thought it was ok, it wasn't.

16