The Familiar of Fate: Chapter 56 – Improbable Foundation(1)
891 6 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I stared at the rolling waves, gliding over the surface of the collective sea before returning to its embrace. It seemed timeless, unending, but still as bleak and lifeless as it was when I was last here.

 

I shifted my gaze to the platform I had ‘constructed’ last time, only to see that it had noticeably dimmed to a dull red, instead of its former bright, shining ruby luster. Looking around, I tried to see if there were any more of the arms that had once transformed to create it, thinking that they could identify a problem, but was dismayed to find that none were above the sea.

 

The platform itself didn’t feel particularly unstable, but I couldn’t help feeling that the dimming light was somehow indicative of a major problem, perhaps of a complete disassembly that would send me falling into the black sea…

 

However, some people work well under pressure and though I wasn’t one to toot my own horn, I had chanced upon a pretty good idea. First, I attempted to manifest my journal but found that I was unable to project my voice to call it so that part of the plan was scrapped, however, I prayed that the most valuable part of my plan would still work.

 

I channeled the available energy in my body and was pleasantly surprised to find that I could still focus it to my fingertips, allowing a small swarm of blue mana to appear around them. However, as quickly as they appeared, they were sucked into the sea below. Shocked, I attempted to create more but was disheartened to find that they, too, were siphoned by the black sea, akin to trash being sucked into a vacuum cleaner. 

 

Frustrated, I kept creating mana-bubbles until I began to feel my energy drain, however, they were all dragged down, drowned, and drained of their light before fading away...It was as if someone was ripping pieces of me away!

 

Quite frankly, although noticeably tired, I was pissed and decided that I would give it one last hurrah before turning in and waiting to wake up again if I even could. However, this time I decided to try using flame-mana bubbles. I felt the heat of the mana work its way throughout my body as it made its way to my fingers, reveling in the warmth which now opposed the lightless, chilling sea below me.

 

This heat dragged itself from my frame, becoming a set of brightly colored bubbles that hovered beside me, bathing me in their glow. I waited for the sea to attempt to swallow them as it had the others...but nothing happened, in fact, the sea seemed to be shrinking at the points where the light reached it. Ecstatic, I flaunted the light to the black sea, anchoring my gaze to watch the sea struggle since it had taken so much of my energy in so short a time.

 

I think that I would describe it as...when you were a child and another kid bullies you on the playground, then you steal some of their toys and hide them, watching them bawl their eyes out when they can’t find them, with an infantile sense of sadistic pleasure, hidden under a feeling of righteousness.

 

I tried to reach the finger-nail sized orbs of flaming mana deeper, watching with delight as they approached the caving surface of the sea. However, I was still on guard since the blackened waters might soon have enough of my overboard revenge and decide to strike back. 

 

Soon though, I felt my control over the mana disappear, even though I still had stamina remaining and it hadn’t been absorbed. I slowly paced over to the edge of the platform, cautiously looking over the edge to see where it had gone, but right as I did, I heard a loud crackling noise behind me. The platform began to hum, followed by the light in the platform growing slightly brighter, regaining some of its luster. 

 

When I turned around, what greeted me was a door, similar to the one I’d exited through previously, however, this one was quite less...bespoke, it's light seemingly correspondent with that of the platform. I walked to it, attempting to open it, but was only met with adamant resistance. Thus, it seemed as though my objective would be to continue replenishing the light of the platform, which it seemed as though my flame-mana was able to accomplish, slightly.

 

So for a while after that, it was a snail-paced cycle of pouring mana into the platform and taking breaks when I got tired, all while watching as it slowly regained its bright ruby sheen. 

 

Once that was done, the door swung open and I was very tempted to opt, out from this ‘shadow-world’ as I called it, to return to reality, but I decided to stay for a while. After all, a mystery skill popped up today so maybe this place and that skill are related?

 

Also, if I leave this place without figuring out how to keep this platform energized, could I be stuck here again? With that thought in mind, I resolved to stay here for the time being, in order to figure out just how in f*ck this place worked.

...

Apologies for the lack of posting last night, gang. My little bro managed to sleep through the entire day and my parents put two and two together and figured out that he was using cell data to stay awake harping to his friends throughout the night, resulting in his desperate need for naps. My parents, "genius" idea, of course, was to have me put my electronics downstairs while the little sh*t didn't do sh*t. Basically, it was a waste of time and nothing was accomplished.

P.S. - Yes, there will be two chapters today to make up for that, very sorry about last night. Also, thanks for the favorites and views, guys! Special thanks to Fasolasido, Aregulus, and Desala for your support in the comments for the last chapter!

13