The Familiar of Fate: Side Story 2 – Meanwhile with the Witch of Fate(1)
829 3 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

While Fate was struggling to deal with the emotional rollercoaster that was his everyday life, a bright light shone through the blinds of a particular window, onto a particular and quite familiar woman…

 

She was covered by golden sheets that seemed perfectly wrap themselves around her frame, her pale-silver hair and snow-white skin sparkled as the light made contact with it, and her radiant purple eyes that had at first opened, squinted closed while attempting to resist the light.

 

The light appeared to snake itself around the bed where she lay, frequently attempting to squirm towards her, only to be repelled by a mysterious, invisible force...

 

Witch of Fate: “...『Iridescent Periwinkle』.

 

At the moment she spoke those words, an amethyst, crystalline staff appeared from thin air. At the apex of the staff rested a moon with a star centered within it, carved out of a yellowish crystal, which resembled citrine, that seemed to radiate calmness.

 

She brought the end of the staff to rest on the floor, causing a bubble of darkness to envelop her and the bed she had been laying on. Looking around her, the Witch of Fate sighed in exasperation…

 

Witch of Fate: “This is why I abhor venturing out of my own realm...too much of this unholy light! Not to mention that this is...his domain...Why were we forced to convene this time?!”

 

Her irritation sent colliding waves of purple and dark-blue energies cascading across the room, causing cracks to appear on the surfaces that surrounded her! Soon, the walls and columns around her seemed like they could crumble apart at any moment, however…

 

???: “Sister, what has you upset enough that you have to take it out on my poor possessions, hm?~”

 

A childish, honeyed voice sounded from behind her, followed by her darkness dome disappearing. Without seeming to give it a second thought, she pivoted around and an immense volley of purple, burning arrows erupted from her staff, creating large craters in the wall and engulfing the area that the voice had come from in flames!

 

???: “Woah, woah easy now! You’re the one who decided to start releasing her divine essence within my walls, so don’t get so feisty when I come to protect my home, ok?~ Besides, if I’d wanted to...I could have simply r~e~m~o~v~e~d you and cast you into some lightless void, aren’t I being quite generous by letting you stay?~

 

The person’s tone had been consistent throughout most of the conversation but had become extremely menacing as they spoke that last sentence. Regardless, though they seemed to have wanted to strike fear into the Witch, she looked absolutely furious…

 

Witch of Fate: “Vorn, you brat! Do realize that if I had my way, then I would never come to one of these paltry ‘reunions’ of yours, so don’t expect gratitude on my end...Also, you’d do well to remember that I wasn’t taking that seriously, so don’t get cocky!”

 

From the purple sea of flames rose a shield of golden light, which began to sweep across the flames, snuffing them out in an instant. The shield began to crumble, revealing a small boy with blonde, spiky hair that was preceded by small orange tips, who was playfully grinning in the wake of such a devastating attack.

 

‘Vorn’: “Well then, elder sister, I suppose that your 'serious attacks' must be quite fearsome that you can't even afford yourself anything artful, this younger sibling is truly saddened by this.~"

 

 The boy was adorned by a deep orange tunic, draped with a golden sash, decorated with images of vermillion and veridian flames, that was seated around his neck and shoulders. He exuded a radiance like a sun, and while his muscles weren’t as noticeable as other features, such as his golden eyes, they seemed to glow crimson, as if a fire were burning below his skin.

 

He didn’t seem particularly interested in listening to her, instead opting to play with many rings that covered his fingers. The Witch, clearly infuriated, prepared to launch another barrage and in response, Vorn flicked his fingers, conjuring a series of miniature suns that began to form an image of a lion! 

 

However, before either of them could launch their attacks, a loud boom resounded throughout the chamber! Both would-be fighters were suddenly forced to fall to their knees, by an intense pressure which pounded on their bodies, at which point a man stepped forth, cloaked in shadows…

 

???: “Cease this childish bickering at once!!! Both of you bring shame to us, desperately attempting to find reasons to fight the second we are called together! Especially you, Goddess of Fate, you are older than this one, and I expect that you have seen and recognized that there are larger threats than taunts from a mere child!!!”

 

The man’s words caused the Witch to feel immense shame, which was clearly shown in her expressions. Vorn, on the other hand, was filled with pride and satisfaction, but was only allowed this for a moment before he too was faced with the man’s gravelly voice…

 

???: “Brat, though I may lecture her, I am aware of her powers and how she used them to aid us against threats you couldn’t imagine in times long past, lifetimes before you were born! You have not faced true challenges nor have you faced death, instead you are sheltered by your weakling of a father, my spineless brother, who does not wish for you to perish as others before you have done!!! If I catch wind of your useless pride stirring during this meeting...rest assured, you’ll be trapped in the den of one of my Elder Earth Dragons for a year, understand, brat?!!”

 

The pressure of the man’s words and the force that continued to push him down, finally made him cave, forcing him to prostrate himself before him. He constantly cursed within his mind but resolved that he would settle his grudges at another time, using most of his strength to weakly nod his head without looking in the man’s eyes. The man angrily grunted and cursed under his breath, but withdrew his power, allowing the two gods to slowly rise to their feet.

 

???: “Now then, you are both late for the summit, which you requested us here for, Vorn. So you had better have an excuse for your father since I’m not willing to take credit for the disciplining of weaklings…”

 

With that, the man vanished from the room, leaving the Witch and Vorn alone. The young god felt his blood boil from such humiliation, while the Witch took the opportunity to give him a callous sneer before teleporting away. 

 

Vorn: “Mark my words, all of you will bow to me...and you shall rue the day that you attempted to shatter my pride...!”

 

A vengeful grimace of clenched teeth appeared, but he took a few moments to fix his face into a polite smile before teleporting to follow his 'siblings...'

 

A short while later, a great many figures sat on golden thrones in a colossal, domed building. They came in many shapes, sizes, and from various races, though most of them seemed human for the most part, forming an enormous ring around the edge of the dome, segmented in order behind the thrones in the center. They all seemed radiant, overflowing with might and magical power that most could never even hope to have a chance of attaining in their whole lives.

 

However, the true spectacles were those seated in the center, those titanic figures whose presence would crush all others in the room if they extended themselves just a little. These individuals were true gods…

 

Seated on one throne, constructed of countless marble blocks, was a weathered man, whose stone-like skin was coated in moss and roots, with large tusks like those of an elephant’s. He was extremely muscular but was covered in massive craters that made it look as if he had taken strikes from a meteor shower. His skin and appearance made him seem like a golem of some sort, sculpted from the visages of a man, bullfrog, and elephant. He glowed with a serene, emerald light that put those who stood behind at ease.

 

Ratum: “It does me well... to be in your presence once more, my beloved brothers and sisters...Tell me, have your endeavours... proved fruitful, brother Argast...?”

 

His croaky voice echoed throughout the room, directed at the man on the throne of bones, skulls, and blood-colored stone seated next to his, who was currently looking through a large mirror. The man in question was a similarly-sized being, whose body was completely covered by an enormous suit, of bone-white and blood-red armor. Argast looked up towards his brother with his dull red eyes, giving him a short nod before returning his gaze to the mirror.

 

All those who stood behind his throne were covered in similar armors, all covered in blood, and were possession of a spectacular arsenal of bone, metal, and blood-borne weapons. They wore serious expressions and kept their hands on their blades, waiting for a situation to arise.

 

Ratum: “...Do your eyes... no longer find contentment... in the wars of... mortals, brother?”

 

Before Argast had a chance to respond, a joyful voice burst forth…

 

???: “Hahahahahahahahaha!!! Do you mean to ask him if his desperate search to forge some of those sorry excuses for heroic-spirits into subordinate-gods or similar ranked forces?!~ The answer is...it’s truly shocking…hehehe...IT’S OBVIOUSLY NONE!!!~ Zip, zilch, nothing to show for these countless millennia that have passed him by, except for all the failures standing behind him, cowering and whimpering at the mere sight of us, and his subordinate gods who are too ‘busy’ to show up! Hahahahahahaha!!!”

 

The roaring laughter continued to boom, rocking the entire room and sending the warriors behind Argast into a blood frenzy, drawing their weapons and screaming at this mad god that dared to shame their lord! However, Argast raised a hand to stay his warriors, while resting a finger on his temple. His formerly dull-red eyes brightened to a color of crimson-blood and a smile reached across his face.

 

Argast: “Tan, I do not believe you have permission to speak of the matters of my army, for they are my concern and mine alone. Besides, you’ve only risen to your rank recently with a meager amount of subordinate gods, no heroic spirits, and as far as I know...not a victory in combat against one of us to your name! Ratum is one of the wisest and peaceful among us, but even he has faced against me in the arena at one time or another and proven his abilities. So, what right have you to shame my mighty army?”

 

Tan’s laughter ceased as his expression grew murderous, while the forces behind Argast broke into loud cheers. Soon though, this ceased as they and their gods bore witness to a glistening figure, floating down from the ceiling, along with the arrival of the Witch. The other gods quickly turned their attention to these two arriving figures, not noticing the shadowy figure who had slipped onto his throne while they weren't looking.

 

And so, the summit of the gods began…

...

13