The Familiar of Fate: Chapter 63 – Mindgames(3)
595 2 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Fate nervously stared between the frozen banshee and the disgruntled, silver-haired woman. One had just tried to kill him, and the other looked noticeably angry with him despite him not seeing her for years. Needless to say, he felt somewhat apprehensive about this encounter, but still managed to put on a stern face to preserve his dignity.

Fate: “So...you want to tell me what’s wrong with me...or do you want to use me as ventin…!”

Suddenly, a blinding arrow of chaotic purple energy appeared above his head out of thin air, exploding mere millimeters from the topmost hair on his head! Fate immediately lost strength in his legs and dropped to the floor, now terrified instead of shocked.

-...Sh-she...ALMOST F***ING BLEW OFF MY…!!!

However, Fate would not be granted time to finish his thought.

The Witch wasted no time in bringing out her crystalline staff, proceeding to instantly teleport directly in front of Fate before loudly slamming it into the part of the wall where her previous attack had dug a cylindrical hole in the wall!

As small rubble bits tumbled from the cracks in the now elongated fracture, the Witch directed a piercing cold stare towards the cowering boy below her. She shook her head in dissatisfaction at her would-be instrument of revenge, internally cursing herself.

This change was quite shocking, considering the cocky smile she had after leaving the meeting. What could have happened to cause this sudden turn? She began to unpleasantly recall the events that lead up to her reunion with Fate…

She had just arrived at her personal domain, the Sea of Stars, with an arrogant smile still plastered on her face. The satisfaction she felt from the fact that she had already set her plans of revenge into play was clearly visible in how she paraded about the spectral sands.

-Fufufufu!!! None of those overzealous, arrogant ‘family’ of mine suspect a thing and my little familiar has already begun his preparations by using the ‘artifact’ that I provided! ‘Justice, peace for all who dwell under us, you shall be remembered for your noble contributions to counter this affront to our very existence?!’ Did that self-absorbed inferno imp truly believe that I would accept such paltry justification, especially when the underlying purpose of summoning me was merely to guarantee his place among those I would aid?!

During the council meeting, Vorn seemed to desperately sing praises to the more powerful the council, while simultaneously and unceremoniously devalue her. His overall, underlying message for her basically equated to ‘I am the one who is adored you, lowly creature, cannot help but obey my superior will!’

However, as she had already begun setting the groundwork for reclaiming her power in the future, and even toppling those higher on the chain, she could not help but allow her happiness to bloom!

The starry sands and seas released massive amounts of glowing particles that lit the space above her like fireworks, while the hourglasses flickered with blue light like overjoyed fireflies! She had come up with a plan to save herself from fading away as a mere shadow to those who consistently had denied her wishes, and it seemed to be going well.

-If I play my cards right, then I may have come closer to my original power than I have in aeons! Finally, I shall regain such strength that allowed me to be hailed as a divine being among divine beings, one who could completely manipulate the fates at will! Not to mention that oh-so-high-and-mighty moon…!

Suddenly, though, a pale blue light began to radiate from the moon that had soared above her head, causing her to raise her head in surprise. A figure began to slowly materialize on its surface, forming from the now forcefully irradiated particles that had resulted from the Witch’s joy, as if to prove itself a bad omen…

Now fully emerged, a figure with pale-white hair and pale-blue robe with crescent embroidery drifted down and made contact with the now still sands, the Moon Goddess, Luna.

Luna: “Why sister, I haven’t witnessed such a jubilant display from your stalwart, stoic self in untold millenia!~ Could bearing witness to such a trite and flagrant display of that overwhelmingly rash, little light be so entertaining that it warrants this? If so, you should attend more often, not just when us rather backseat figures call you in...~”

As she spoke in a soft, yet commanding tone, just as at the council, the space around them was bathed in pale-blue light and all activity throughout it seemed to cease…

The Witch could feel her dissatisfaction bubbling up like lava, from where happiness had once filled her, but managed to keep her thoughts and face clear. A smile blossomed on the Moon Goddess’ face as the Witch’s stoic expression returned.

Luna: “Don’t be so sour, sister!~ After all, I have a task for our most loyal one, isn’t that spectacular news?~”

-What could she be scheming this time…?

Luna drew closer to the Witch and began to whisper slowly into her ear…

Luna: “As you know...my devout followers on the lower plane possess no shortage of extraordinary gifted individuals, however, as you should no doubt understand...as my fellow cohort...that some must be raised to support the ‘heroes’ when the time comes for them to appear. To guide them on the right path, and ensure their victory…”
The Witch did not breathe a word, but simply nodded in response, with a cold look growing in her displeased gaze...

Witch of Fate: “Sister...who are you suggesting?”

A delighted gleam overtook the Moon Goddess’ eyes as she began to giggle.

Luna: “Who said that I was suggesting anyone, myself? I am merely here to request your assistance, once more, in aiding in my affairs, selfish as it may seem…”

The Witch felt a scrap of paper being slipped into her hand, followed by Luna giving her a sweet smile before disappearing in a haze of pale-blue mist. After making sure she was alone, the Witch unrolled the parchment in her hand, her expression instantly exploding with fury!

She angrily stomped the small parchment into the starry sands before waving her hand and setting it ablaze with purple flames! She proceeded to teleport away, still bearing her livid expression, while the last remaining scrap that was slowly but surely incinerating only contained one word, a name...

‘Schneider.’
...

11