The Familiar of Fate: Chapter 67 – Within and Without(Stage 1 – 3)
551 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Fate stood in despair and shock of the beast, its gaze seeming to penetrate his very soul. He felt his dread grow, while a strange weight and chill seem to push down on him. This new gravity and cold that affected him caused his knees to buckle and his eyes blur…

-T-th...this thing...It-t...can't be real!!! Ho...How wouldn’t I have noticed...a monster like this?! It’s got...definitely has to be…it... It isn’t real...!!!

However, the nightmarish aura that the beast released, the blizzard-like chill that came with its every breath that reached him, the gravity that pressed down on him, these all felt so real. Fate desperately attempted to reject all these feelings, but couldn’t suppress this growing dread...that this was real...that he could die…

Meanwhile, the beast continued to claw at and roar against the rapidly deteriorating barrier, spewing its icy breath over Fate’s frame. The wall now began to illuminate as it continued to crumble, now allowing Fate to view the full form of this creature.

The beast appeared to be made out of an obsidian stone-like material, with a mass of large spikes protruding from its back and upper limbs. The body’s structure belonged to a wolf. Its enormous claws shone like steel. Its midnight blue eyes were now highlighted by a crescent-shaped outline on their outer rim, which seemed to leak out a luminescent, pale-blue mist. The area where the breath was coming from should have been a mouth, but instead, seemed to resemble a lightless maw, which frequently altered its shape, filled with a vast array of yellowish, decaying fangs…

If Fate had been in the right mindset when looking at it, he probably would have had the odd sense to call it a monstrous golem with ‘will o’ wisp’ eyes and a constantly morphing 'Sarlacc Pit' for a mouth that looked like a porcupine, wolf hybrid.

His mind and body overcome by his fears, and a beast in front of him that could haunt the hearts of all mortal men, Fate could only whisper in a low voice, before sprinting away as fast he could…

Fate: “What did I do to deserve this…?!?”

Just as Fate began to run towards one of the first stone islands in view, he heard a large explosion from behind him, followed by a purplish light that swept across him and his surroundings and a furious, booming roar erupting!

Fate sprinted to the edge of the platform before hurling himself across the chasm, soaring through the air! Adrenaline filled his body as he slowly fell forward, while the orb above his head grew slightly smaller.

For a moment, Fate felt as if he had been somewhat freed of the weight and cold that had afflicted him. However, this alleviating moment was cut short as he fell close to the next stone mass.

He was met with the rocky surface of the small island, slamming his chest against it! His body bounced away from it, threatening to drop him into the void’s embrace, however, he spotted two stalagmites that mysterious appeared, grabbing them to halt himself!

Fate was extremely panicked but felt relief wash over him. For once in this nonsensical day’s events, something had gone right! Suddenly, though, the Witch’s bemused voice boomed in his ears…

Witch of Fate: “Ah, my little familiar, I see that you just couldn’t help yourself from nearly failing the first jump!~”

Fate, having been pushed his limit, could only think to reply honestly…and quite angrily...

Fate: “Damn you, why in hell are you trying to kill me?! Where in f***’s name am I?! How the hell did you get a giant animal amalgam golem here and…?!

Witch of Fate: “Animal amalgam golem...that’s quite the catchy name for one so slow, I’ll christen it that with just a hint of pride!~”

Fate: “Don’t change the f***ing subject, you…!!!”

A gentle, yet snarky laughter rang throughout the space, entrancing Fate for a moment, almost causing him to loosen his grip on the stones that were keeping him aloft, causing him to panic and the orb above his head to grow slightly larger!

He immediately caught himself before he could have fallen, but now, the unknown pressure had increased, causing him to feel further weakness and that his body had suddenly grown heavier! However, his strength allowed him to hold on with some level of comfort, and he slowly lifted himself to the top of the island.

Now, with the danger of falling removed, Fate turned his attention to where the Witch was floating, glaring daggers in her direction.

Fate: “Your stupid laugh...almost caused me to fall!!!”

Witch of Fate: “And assuming I did, was that a reason not to listen while you were...indisposed?~”

Suddenly, the island he was standing on, shone with a brilliant yellow light, and the vague image of an open book formed beneath his feet! Fate stared at this strange spectacle, confused…

Witch of Fate: “For each island, you have to get...aided in not falling to your possible demise, fufu...You will be forced to experience a truth, which may pertain to yourself, those around you, or even Ilthea in its entirety!~”

She projected her voice, giving Fate the impression that she was imitating the personality of a gameshow host. He continued to stare at the symbol below his feet, which now glowed even brighter, with cracks forming on its surface…

Fate would have demanded to know what purpose this possibly served, but the Witch allowed him no time to voice his displeasure.

Witch of Fate: “It looks like you’ll have to mope around somewhere without me, quite sad isn’t it?~ Don’t fret though, you’ll be returned here to continue the trial, soon enough, but for now, I think I’ll give you a hint relating to your bestial friend over there…”

Fate darted his head to look at the monster, but found strangely, that it only seemed to be wandering across the stone platform he had escaped from. However, he couldn’t help but notice that the ground beneath it had started to decay…

Witch of Fate: “He’s only as frightening as you believe him to be...Also, once you return, he’ll most likely be well on his way to devour you, so do try thinking of a solution, you seem to be...so good at making those while I’m not around.”

Fate: “...Seriously...ARE YOU SERIOUSLY BLAMING ME FOR THE SH*T YOU’VE PUT ME THROUGH…?!!”

Witch of Fate: “Oh, I think it’s about time for that rune to activate, goodbye, for now, my little familiar!~”

Fate: “YOU…!!!”

A brilliant yellow light burst forth and illuminated the void for a split-second and then...Fate was gone!
...

9