Chapter 15 – Classes
671 6 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Class Window

 

The ultimate goal of the AI is to DISCOVER MAGIC. This is not a goal it can achieve independently, it is bound to your soul and dependant on your action for its function, so it will allow you to choose how you wish to explore Magic. That is the purpose of your Class. It will be a part of you that levels up independently of the stats that your body generates from processing ambient mana.

The level of your Class is more representative of the current power level of the AI itself, and the amount that it can aid you in your survival and progression.

So you must Choose your Class.

No matter your choice a few things will remain the same, with every level of your class the AI will be able to sustain one more spell effect independently, such as the windows. The AI will continue to aid you in your progression outside of your class, though it recommends that you take your Class into account when assigning stats from aspect levels and average levels.

Your Class options will be based around the different paths a magic-user takes towards power, each taking a different approach to the way they understand and craft mana into spells. Upon choosing a class you will immediately gain the Core Skills and the level up rewards for level 1. All classes have a cap at level 25, at this level you will need to seek out a new Shard, to choose a path of progression for the AI beyond your Class.

If you come into contact with another Shard of sufficient power before then, you may choose to Multi-Class and gain the ability to level up another Class. Shards like that are very rare though, so do not count on this opportunity.

 

Class Options:

 

Wizard

The Wizard is the path of Arcane logic. It is the path of choosing to concretely understand the consequences of your actions with mana. To experiment with your spells and see how they affect the world, to calculate the amounts of mana you use and cast spells as efficiently as possible. To eventually craft Arcane runes from your Mind and Magic that define it, and use them to focus your spells even further.

As a Wizard you will start from the very basics, learning the underlying principles of mana before you start to grasp the true potential of the Class, be aware that this is a slow process that will likely hamper you until you can either puzzle through the early levels on your own or find a teacher who can aid your learning.

Core stat

Control is a core stat of the Wizard Class. Choosing Wizard will make Control gain Magic aspect EXP at the same rate as the Secondary Magic stat, gaining more Magic aspect EXP for straining its limits and levelling up Control-based Skills.

Core skills

 

Governing Stats

Requirements

Description

Arcane Logic

INT

WIS

Wizard Class

Arcane Logic is the Core Skill for the Wizard Class, it aids in the understanding of arcane physics and allows one to intuit the rules that mana follows. Equipping this Skill will allow you to sense and understand amounts of mana numerically, accurately to the 10's for mana under your control and accurately to the 100's for mana that you can sense.

Arcane Magic

AFI

CON

 

Arcane Magic is the manipulation of Arcane mana into Magical Phenomenon, spells. At the amateur levels, Arcane Magic can be used to temporarily increase mental ability, and assign specific properties to Arcane mana based on the understanding of the user.

Equipping this Skill enables you to sense Arcane mana and to use it to cast spells of its current mastery level and one higher. This will also stop the Skill Mana sight from filtering Arcane mana from your sense, its omnipresence in the Mortal realm was deemed to be too distracting for you without an understanding of what it was.


Level up benefits

  • +1 Mental stat per level until 15
  • +2 Mental stats per level from 15-25
  • +1 Magic stat per level until 10
  • +2 Magic stats per level from 10-20
  • +3 Magic stats per level from 20-25
  • Mental Skill Slot at level 5
  • ??? at level 10
  • ??? at level 15
  • ??? at level 20
  • +1 GP for Average Levelling after Class level 25

Progression

These actions gain EXP in the Wizard Class in this order of effectiveness:

  • Progress the Core Skill.
  • Progress your Magic Skills.
  • Progress your Mental and Magic aspects.
  • Progress your Mental Skills.

 

Elementalist

The Elementalist is the path of Elemental understanding. It is the path of immersing yourself in the mundane elements to gain an understanding of their Magical counterparts, it is not an academic understanding you will seek, but more ephemeral and subjective truths. What aspects of the world do the elements represent? How do they interact with each other? What is their most Natural state? These are the questions you will seek to answer as an Elementalist.

As an Elementalist you will begin progressing your understanding of the elements immediately, you will begin your journey with the five elements Fire, Water, Wood, Earth and Metal. These are the basis for all of the other elements, and understanding in each will lead you further down the path of the Elementalist.

 Core stat

Perception is a core stat of the Elementalist Class. Choosing Elementalist will make Perception gain Mental aspect EXP at the same rate as the Secondary Mental stat, gaining more Mental aspect EXP for straining its limits and levelling up Perception-based Skills.

Core skills

 

Governing Stats

Requirements

Description

Elemental Perception

PER

ATU

Elementalist Class

Elemental Perception is the Core Skill of the Elementalist Class, It will allow you to perceive the relations between natural elements and elemental mana, allowing you to more easily gain elemental Magic Skills and deepen your understanding of elemental mana

Fire magic

AFI

CON

 

Fire Magic is the manipulation of Fire mana into Magical Phenomenon, spells. At the Amateur Levels Fire Magic can be used to create Magical fires of natural heats and sizes, and to make sure that Magic fires under your control don't burn you.

Equipping this Skill enables you to sense Fire mana and to use it to cast spells of its current mastery level and one higher.


Level up benefits

  • +2 Magic stats per level until 20
  • +3 Magic stats per level from 20-25
  • +1 Perception stat per level
  • Magic Skill Slot at level 5
  • ??? at level 10
  • ??? at level 15
  • ??? at level 20
  • +1 GP for Average Levelling after Class level 25

Progression

These actions gain EXP in the Elementalist Class in this order of effectiveness:

  • Progress the Core Skill.
  • Progress your Elemental Magic Skills.
  • Progress your Magic aspect.
  • Progress Perception-based Skills.

 

Sorcerer

The Sorcerer is the path of Instinctive Magic. It is the path of giving yourself over to magic, letting it influence you as much as you influence it, This allows for incredible feats of power even at the early stages of its progression. This power does not come for free, the power of the Magic will grow with your power to resist its influence, leaving you in a constant fight for control over your emotions and mood.

As a Sorcerer your currently equipped Magic skills will be used instinctively as you need them, but you will receive Emotional drift as you do this, the kind of drift will depend on the type of magic being used, Fire Magic causing anger and fervour, Light Magic causing awe and passion, Dark magic causing fear and apathy.

Core stat

Willpower is a core stat of the Sorcerer Class. Choosing Sorcerer will make Willpower gain Mental aspect EXP at the same rate as the Secondary Mental stat, gaining more Mental aspect EXP for straining its limits and levelling up Willpower-based Skills.

Core skills

 

Governing Stats

Requirements

Description

Instinctive Casting

AFI

WIL

Sorcerer Class

Instinctive Casting is a Core Skill of the Sorcerer Class, it will let you cast Spells based on your instincts. this means you will control your Magic consciously, nor will you learn the spells that you cast this way, as you will lack understanding of how they function. Each time you do this you will receive Emotional Drift your ability to influence the Instinctive Casting will increase with the amount of emotional drift you are under.

Drift Resistance

WIL

RES

Sorcerer Class

Drift resistance is a Core skill of the Sorcerer Class, it aids you in functioning normally while under the influence of Emotional Drift from Instinctive Casting. This skill does not cancel out the Emotional drift, it merely makes it easier to ignore and resist the impulses of the drift.


Level up benefits

  • Magic stats every level until 25
  • Willpower stat every level until 20
  • Mental stats every level from 20 to 25
  • The Magic Skill: Lightning Magic at level 5
  • ??? at level 10
  • ??? at level 15
  • ??? at level 20
  • +1 GP for Average Levelling after Class level 25

Progression

These actions gain EXP for the Sorcerer Class in this order of effectiveness:

  • Progress the Core Skills.
  • Progress your Magic Skills.
  • Progress your Magic aspect.
  • Progress Willpower based Skills.

 

Monk

The Monk is the path of using mana and Magic to enhance your body consciously. It is the path of the Magic warrior, using your skills in magic to perfectly complement your skills in close quarters battle. You will Be able to sense your body perfectly and perfect the arts of combat at a greater rate.

As a Monk you will be able to inhale your currently equipped mana types to temporarily enhance different aspects of your body, Earth for toughness and strength, Water for balance and grace, Darkness for silence and stealth.

Core Stat

Resistance is a core stat of the Monk Class. Choosing Monk will make Resistance gain Magic aspect EXP at the same rate as the Secondary Magic stat, gaining more Magic aspect EXP for straining its limits and levelling up Resistance-based Skills.

Core skills

 

Governing Stats

Requirements

Description

Mana Breathing

AFI

RES

Monk Class

Mana Breathing is a Core skill of the Monk Class, it Allows you to breath to inhale your currently equipped mana types to temporarily enhance different aspects of your body, Earth for toughness and strength, Water for balance and grace, Darkness for silence and stealth.

Greater Proprioception

STR

PER

Monk Class

Greater Proprioception is a Core Skill of the Monk Class, it gives you a greatly increased sense of proprioception, the sense that allows you to feel the position of your limbs and body in relation to itself. At Amateur levels it will allow you to sense the tension and position of individual muscles in a region of your body that you are focusing on.

Equipping this skill will increase the effectiveness of Physical stats, and allow for faster progress of Physical Skills.

 

Level up benefits:

  • +1 Strength stat per level
  • +1 Physical stat per level
  • +1 Resistance stat per level until level 15
  • +1 Mental stat per level from 10-25
  • +1 Physical stat for levelling up the Physical aspect after Monk level 5
  • ??? at level 10
  • ??? at level 15
  • ??? at level 20
  • +1 GP for Average Levelling after Class level 25

Progression

These actions gain EXP for the Monk Class in this order of effectiveness:

  • Progressing the Core Skills.
  • Progressing your Physical Skills.
  • Progressing your Physical aspect.
  • Progressing Resistance based Skills.

 

Classes you are unqualified for:

Cleric

To be a Cleric requires the aid of a god, as you lack contact with any of the gods and do not wish to devote yourself to one at this time, this Class is unavailable to you.

Warlock

To be a Warlock is to bond to a spirit as either Familiar or Patron and let it aid you in the control of magic. While this might seem like what the AI does for you, it is a very different process because the AI is not an independent entity, but rather an extension of your mind and soul, You cannot bond with yourself. Due to the lack of access to another spirit to aid you, this Class is unavailable to you.


 

As the huge window appeared Mikes's eyes focused, reading every line as it came.

Each class seemed distinct from the others. They were named after the Magic classes of TTRPG’s back home but the names matched the descriptions and explanations that Ishare had given in his magic lesson less than a few hours ago, depending on how long he had been unconscious.

But which Class was for him? They each had their strengths and weaknesses.

Wizard seemed to be weaker towards the start but snowballed in power as the Wizard gained more knowledge and understanding of mana and Magic, Arcane logic sounded useful but not essential, while Arcane magic made him very curious, wasn't that the type of man that made EXP?

Elementalist seemed the most steady of them all, and gave him Fire Magic, which along with being awesome seemed eminently useful, though he would need a steady supply of fire mana to actually use it, he wasn’t sure if he had access to it in any great amounts, lighting a fire would likely bet him some, but it would also draw attention to him. Mike didn’t know whether animals in this forest were afraid of fire like they were back on earth.

Sorcerer sounded dangerous, it promised him power right now but at the risk of self-control, his will stat was still rather not impressive or even ordinary from what he understood, and the Class seemed to rely on it quite a lot, in return for that risk though he got Lightning Magic which was cooler than Fire Magic but likely less useful and even less available than Fire Mana was.

Monk was the only class that he felt comfortable putting to the side straight away. Not that it was bad. He just had no idea how to fight, he had one level in Knife Fighting, and while the Skill Greater Proprioception promised easier training in physical skills, likely because it would let him sense exactly how the AI was altering his muscle memory, he wasn’t exactly comfortable with an up-close and personal kind of combat.

Sure he had fantasized about wearing plate armour and riding into battle swinging a great sword as much as the next guy but he felt like he had matured enough to want the sharp metal objects as far away from himself as possible. He felt like he could also put sorcerer to the side, it sounded plenty powerful but the downsides were more off-putting than the promised upsides, he didn’t want magic bending his mind into mush, he had gotten close enough to that once already, and he didn’t want to try it again on purpose.

He wasn’t overly disappointed by the inability to choose Cleric or Warlock. He wasn’t ready to pledge himself to some higher being for power just yet, be it god or spirit and he lacked the knowledge of how to locate one that would be weak enough to bind to him at level 2.

So it was down to the Wizard and the Elementalist which one suited him best?

There is a lot of mechanical stuff in this chapter but I hope you like it, I have a bit of a pet grievance with LitRPG's where the character gets offered a list of classes, specifically so they can choose which one suits them best. BUT there is an obviously correct option, the Rare, Legendary or Unique! Class that only the MC can have, that is obviously more powerful than the others.

So I tried as hard as I could to make all of the options equal, How do you think I did? if you calculate up the stat benefits for each class up to level 25 you should find that each class gives 80 stats total, besides the bonuses for non-class levels like the GP bonus at level 25 or the Monks level 5 benefit.

Thanks for reading!

If you're enjoying the series so far, then please leave a Rating!

You don't need to write a review or anything else, just give the series the number of stars that you think accurately represents its quality!

Which class would you pick? (not which class should mike pick I know that answer already)
Results are only viewable after voting. You must be logged in to vote.
14