Arc 10- Troubles At Home And Abroad – Four Hundred And Forty-Two *Contains status – Akio ?*
689 10 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“So, are you absolutely sure that there’s nothing going on between the two of you?” Kanzaki-chan said slyly, as she drank from her glass of wine. It turns out she is old enough to drink after all, though I’m not foolish enough to ask her age. “From where I sit, the two of you seem perfect together. You’re even both Chosen, right?”

Arisu-san sighed, and I didn’t blame her, as it wasn’t the first time we’d had to deal with that today. She was wearing a long coat over her elegant crimson dress, as was Kanzaki-chan, hiding her idol outfit, since we didn’t have much time to change due to the mess the talk show had devolved into. “As I have made plain, we are simply colleagues, and friends, since Akio-san here says so, and I have no issue with that. Which surprises me.” she admitted, elegantly raising her silver fork for emphasis. “Besides, I am sure I told you that a close friend of mine is dating him.”

“Yes, you did.” Kanzaki-chan agreed. Raising one eyebrow in an expression of disbelief, she looked around the private room in the restaurant atop a luxury hotel in Ginza. “Having everyone clear out so there wouldn’t be a scandal. I‘m both impressed and saddened” She smiled cheekily, perhaps loosened up by the wine.

“It would do you no good to get in a scandal with this one.” Arisu-san sighed. “I would imagine it would do your career no favours.”

“Oh sorry.” Kanzaki-chan apologised. “I forgot you had your fair share of lies told about you. My mistake.”

“Think nothing of it. The truth is out there, and my revenge will soon be complete. As for being impressed, I do concede that one of his little fiancées has quite the influence and wealth. A simple phone call, and this hotel was falling over themselves to reserve an entire section for us so we can dine in comfort and secrecy.”

“Now I’m curious.” Kanzaki-chan pressed. “is that one of the ones that have been pictured in the media?”

I shook my head. “No, it’s Hinata.” I brought up a picture on my phone. “She’s the granddaughter of Nichibotsu Technology.”

“She’s cute. Young but cute.” Kanzaki-chan repeated, before reaching out a finger and swiping my phone, giggling as it displayed an image of two more girls, my sis and Eri. “Who’re they? More girlfriends? Hey, that one looks like you…”

“That’s my sister.” I insisted. “Though the other girl is my childhood friend and fiancée.”

“Childhood friends? That’s kind of sweet, that even an important guy like you sticks by your childhood sweetheart.” Kanzaki-chan giggled. “Might as well show me the rest, I’m really curious.”

“Fine.” I laughed, glad I didn’t keep any lewd photos on my phone. After a time of me showing photographs and talking about the good points of each girl, Kanzaki-chan leaned back in her chair, shaking her head.

“I think I asked a rude question earlier on the talk show. They’re all pretty or beautiful. So… which one’s your mutual friend.”

“Shiro, the silver haired one.” I said, and Kanzaki-chan smirked at us, teasing.

“I see. Yes, she’s absolutely stunning. And a Chosen too, right? I remember from the press conference in Britain. You’d be hard pressed to find anyone who hasn’t seen that, or at least the highlights. But I don’t think you’re too far behind, Arisu-chan!” she was more familiar with the older woman now.

There’s something weird… “Hey…” I said, and my tone was serious, so Kanzaki-chan looked at me, her expression neutral. “…don’t you feel bad about it, about me? I mean, having all these girlfriends. As a girl yourself…”

Kanzaki-chan’s placid face twitched, before she looked at Arisu-san, who was rolling her dark eyes at me. Then the mask slipped, and Kanzaki-chan burst out laughing, meeting Arisu-san’s irritated gaze. “He might be someone who can hold the powerful of the world to account, but he’s surprisingly slow on the uptake, isn’t he? It’s kind of cute though, Arisu-chan.”

“Cute? Your taste is rather strange. I find it frustrating. But then White is often saying that he is a slow learner, though she finds it amusing and frustrating in equal measure.”

“Hey, I’m right here.” I protested, and Kanzaki-chan picked up her wine again, laughing.

“I do think you’re a bit of a bad guy. I mean, sure, it’s not normal. But then, hearing you talk so lovingly about them all, and the fact you even went to far as to pressure the government to change the law… I’d be a pretty terrible person to fault you for that. I might not be the right person to ask, considering I’m an idol… I’m not even allowed to date or the fans go crazy. But I’d rather have an honest, loving scoundrel than just any other cheater. Besides… are they happy?”

“I think so. And I’ll do everything I can to make them love life.” I promised, and she took a sip of wine before flourishing the dwindling glass triumphantly.

“There’s my point. So if you are happy and they’re happy, why worry what anyone else thinks?” she giggled.

“It is guilt of course. Though he tries not to let it bother him, it still does. But White says he is significantly better than he used to be. Some of his earlier conquests tell tales of his self-pitying whining, enough to turn my stomach. I agree. I prefer an honest and unrepentant man. I abhor liars. Although I despise cheaters and the unfaithful too.” She looked at me, her dark eyes showing me a warning. “So keep your word, and cherish them. For if you make White unhappy…”

“I know, I get it. But you’d have to join the queue. I’d be first to punish myself.” I promised. The conversation was then interrupted by my phone ringing, and on seeing the caller ID I was a little surprised. Buck Kelly, huh?

“Hello there.” I said in English, and my surprise must have been evident.

“Why the shock, Akio my friend? Weren’t you expecting a call from old Buck?” his tone was jovial. “I saw your performance on TV. It’s a big hit here in the States. I got to brag to my wife that I knew you as well, my lucky charm. That woman you were with, she’s another beauty. Another fly in your web, huh?”

I exchanged an apologetic look with Arisu-san, who was listening, as my phone’s volume was set to loud. An oversight.

“If you saw you should know.” I chided him, and his loud laugh came back.

“Don’t be so shy! I haven’t forgotten the two beauties you had with you when we met, Miss Shaeula and Miss Eri. But I should get to the point, time is money, after all. I’ll be flying to Japan shortly, just like we discussed a while back. You’ll show me around, right? We have a lot to discuss.”

“Oh yeah, you wanted to set up a bar or two here.” I remembered. “I’m not sure what help I’ll be…”

“It’s not just that. Though of course I’d be delighted to have your help, Akio my good friend! I hear Japan is notoriously hard for foreigners to break into the market. So an inside man would help, though obviously Ms Connors has connections. But… I have a few other propositions that might be beneficial to you…”

Really? “Well I can certainly meet up and hear you out, but I’m not sure what you have planned…”

“You should look forward to it!” Buck promised grandly, and after some more small talk, he hung up. After that I finished an enjoyable meal with Arisu-san and Kanzaki-chan, talking about unimportant things, and it was interesting to hear more of Arisu-san’s thoughts. She definitely seems a little less standoffish now.

“So, about your friend who is taking part in the charity concert…” Kanzaki-chan asked as we were enjoying dessert. “…what’s she like?”

“Her idol name is Suzumebachi.” I laughed, remembering my shock when she’d told me.

“What? A giant hornet?” Kanzaki-chan blinked, and Arisu-san took over.

“Yes, Suzanne-san has very questionable understanding of Japanese culture. However, her desires are pure and earnest.” She looked at me then. “Suzanne-san was worried that her backup dancers, as she calls them, would be unable to aid her. Fortunately now…”

“Oh yes. Ling, or maybe Ginneka… one of them will be able to help.” I replied, and Kanzaki-chan looked confused.

“What are you talking about?” she asked.

“Oh, it is Chosen-related matters.” Arisu-san said. “But it would be good if you could perhaps impart some wisdom to Suzanne-san. I do despair at her lack of understanding.”

“I can do that.” Kanzaki-chan promised. “Since we’re all friends now. Speaking of which…” she looked at me searchingly. “I know I asked before, but… why did you say you’d help me out if I was in trouble?”

“I won’t do it if it’s to cover up some genuine wrongdoing.” I reiterated. “But…” I scratched my chin, embarrassed. “Even if it was for the camera, I was happy when you said I was your ideal guy. I mean, I’m not hitting on you, I promise! You’ve seen I have plenty of girlfriends…” I explained hastily. “…even so, I never thought someone famous would ever say that about me.”

“Famous, huh? Yes, AKB48 is big, but Arisu-chan here is probably more famous than any of us.” Kanzaki-chan said. “Besides… it wasn’t exactly all for the cameras. But never mind that… I’ll… bear it in mind.” Her smile was radiant. Then she frowned. “Hey, since you got Suzumebachi… ugh, that name… on the bill, and Arisu-chan here is the presenter for the event… couldn’t you get your sister backstage using that?”

I nodded. “Yeah, but it’s not the same as one of your own shows. But… if you could be nice to her when she’s there, maybe introduce her to the rest of the members… I’d be grateful.”

“How can I deny you when you ask so earnestly?” she agreed, and with that we slipped back into harmless, cheery talk, before it was time to go.

After seeing Arisu-san and Kanzaki-chan to their taxis, I returned home to my new house. I considered staying awake and trying to get some work done, but as I was already working in the Boundary, Princess Ffionnan having returned there after her trip to the Material, still extremely enthusiastic about our prospects, and the four-tailed fox was still hanging around too, I decided to at least rest my Material body. Half of me will get some rest. Who knows, maybe Tsukuyomi will send me a dream…

 

********

 

Smiling at the flushed Daiyu who was lying next to me, her breathing still ragged from our Dual Cultivating, I kissed her softly on the forehead, intensifying her blush.

“No Rank ups that time.” I said, and she looked at me with a surprisingly pouty expression.

“Is that all that matters?”

“Of course not.” This time my kiss was on the lips. “I should be asking you that. Did you like it?”

“Of course.” She agreed, snuggling closer, and I once more realised even the girls that seemed taciturn and less expressive were more affectionate in the bed. “While I am eager to increase my Cultivation, I find the warmth reassuring. To have someone else to rely on, who looks deep into me as I look into him… even if it was not for any value, I would still seek this.”

“That’s adorable. But true for me as well. Perhaps this was always meant to be.” I agreed. “Though the price was far too high…” She hushed me with a fierce kiss, her tongue entwining with mine. As we parted, saliva linking us momentarily, she looked at me, black eyes earnest.

“I have no wish to talk about sadder times. I look only to the future.” She glanced at the door, and Eri took that moment to enter, carrying a clean towel and a tray of tea. Her expression was placid as she looked at us, though I could tell she was jealous as she was manifesting a black tail which was lashing fitfully, looking rather comical sticking out from her jeans, pushing them down so they sat wrong. Seeing us looking she sighed and the tail disappeared, and she pulled them up, covering the panties on view.

“Here. You’ve a busy day ahead.” Eri handed me and then Daiyu a towel, setting the tea down. “You know, I think I want to learn Cultivation.”

“I think it is indeed time to learn the basics.” Daiyu agreed. “They say a dragon has to start as a snake before it ascends. We will drill in the fundamentals.”

“Yes, we’ll have time this evening.” Eri said flatly. “After all, you’re going out with Kana, right?”

I nodded. “Yes, I promised. And I want to as well.” I said, and Eri finally smiled.

“At least you’re learning. Making it sound like you are only doing it because you promised is a bad habit. Besides… at least we won’t be deprived of you completely. Maybe I’ll go hang out in the Boundary. I need to make up for lost time. Aiko is desperate too…”

“What about schoolwork?” I asked, and Eri shook her head.

“I’m effectively done, barring exams, and Aiko can skip a day or two of remote assignments.”

This could be a problem. I was planning on using some of the free time I’ve got now we’ve captured Mount Atago on making items, which is fine, but then… there’s some experiments I want to run, and I don’t want anyone else to take part… Holding in a sigh my Eye shone for a second, as I reconfirmed my stats, skills and classes…

[Material Statistics]

 

[Intangible Statistics]

 

Might

1762 1805

Fortune

38 40

Fortitude

1752 1794

Majesty

29 31

Intellect

1820 1860

Charm

44 47

Resilience

2051 2137

League

26

Alacrity

1839 1882

Determination

25 27

Precision

1833 1874

Foresight

32 34

Aether

6463 6659

Fate

21 23

 

[Material Skills]

Rank

Class

Type

[Aetheric Skills]

 

 

 

Silver Connection

Rank 5

Imperious (6)

Rule (5)

Eight Moons Chakra Network

Rank 6

Imperious (6)

Rule (5)

Aether Manipulation

Rank 7

Noble (5)

Foundation (4)

Aether Combat Technique

Rank 5

Powerful (4)

Foundation (4)

Body Enhancement

Rank 5

Powerful (4)

Foundation (4)

Ether Healing

Rank 9

Imperious (6)

Artifice (6)

Aetheric Chirurgeon

Rank 9

Imperious (6)

Principle (7)

Adherence Manipulation

Rank 3

Noble (5)

Law (8)

Split Thoughts

Rank 5

Noble (5)

Foundation (4)

[Elemental Skills]

 

 

 

Crown Chakra Of Space

Rank 3

Powerful (4)

Foundation (4)

Space Manipulation

Rank 3

Powerful (4)

Foundation (4)

Third Eye Chakra Of Full Moon Light - Mangetsu

Rank 4

Noble (5)

Foundation (4)

Light Manipulation

Rank 5

Powerful (4)

Foundation (4)

Throat Chakra Of New Moon Darkness - Shingetsu

Rank 3

Noble (5)

Foundation (4)

Darkness Manipulation

Rank 2

Powerful (4)

Foundation (4)

Heart Chakra Of Wind

Rank 6

Noble (5)

Foundation (4)

Wind Manipulation

Rank 6

Noble (5)

Foundation (4)

Solar Plexus Chakra Of Flame

Rank 6

Noble (5)

Foundation (4)

Flame Manipulation

Rank 6

Noble (5)

Foundation (4)

Root And Sacral Chakra Of Wood

Rank 3

Powerful (4)

Foundation (4)

Wood Manipulation

Rank 4

Powerful (4)

Foundation (4)

Sacral Chakra Of High Moonlight Spirit Water

Rank 4

Noble (5)

Foundation (4)

Water Manipulation

Rank 5

Powerful (4)

Foundation (4)

Root Chakra Of Earth

Rank 5

Powerful (4)

Foundation (4)

Earth Manipulation

Rank 5

Powerful (4)

Foundation (4)

Lunar Chakra Of Seven Primal Elements And Wood

Rank 4

Imperious (6)

Artifice (6)

[Cultivation Skills]

     

Moonlight Jade Qi Refining

Rank 2

Powerful (4)

Artifice (6)

Spiritually Pure Dual Cultivation

Rank 2

Noble (5)

Artifice (6)

Spiritually Pure Physique

Rank 2 Rank 3

Noble (5)

Principle (7)

[Physical Combat Skills]

 

 

 

Spatial Perception

Rank 2

Powerful (4)

Rule (5)

Spear Technique

Rank 5

Cantrip (1)

Simple (1)

Sword Technique

Rank 5

Cantrip (1)

Simple (1)

Combat Technique

Rank 5

Cantrip (1)

Simple (1)

Elemental Weapon Technique

Rank 3

Sufficient (3)

Foundation (4)

Void Motion

Rank 2

Noble (5)

Principle (7)

Tsumura Arts

Rank 1

Rank 2

Powerful (4)

Foundation (4)

[Practical Skills]

 

 

 

Ether Crafting

Rank 5

Powerful (4)

Foundation (4)

Dvergr Techniques

Rank 1

Noble (5)

Rule (5)

[Intangible Skills]

 

 

 

[Unique Skills]

 

 

 

Mystic Eye Of The Tree Of Knowledge

Rank 4

Legendary (7)

Law (8)

Kin Bonding And Restoration

Rank 6

Legendary (7)

Principle (7)

Foehn, Inextinguishable Blaze

Rank 7

Imperious (6)

Principle (7)

Might Of The Furious Earth Might Of Indestructible Jade

Rank 2

Powerful (4)

Noble (5)

Foundation (4)

Artifice (6)

The Future Reflected By The Moon

Rank 3

Legendary (7)

Fate (9)

Prominence Twilight

Rank 2

Imperious (6)

Principle (7)

 

[Level]

134 138

[Class]

Kami-Blessed 10/20 12/20

Conqueror 17/50 19/50

Wielder Of A Mutated Element 7/10

Wielder Of Elements, Primal Seven 2/20

True Faeduine 3/30 5/30

Qi Refiner 2/10

Dual Cultivator 2/10

 

[Mastered Class]

Fae-Souled 30/30

Wielder Of Elements, Classic Western 10/10

 

Territory Rank

3

 

My level had stagnated a bit, which made sense, as I had to fight ever-increasing amounts of lesser foes, literally armies worth, or singular powerful opponents, to grow. That or take over other Territories… No, focussing on skills and classes was the surest way to growth now. Obviously, as one started to reach the level of powerful beings such as the Princes and Princesses of the Seelie Court, never mind mightier beings such as Nurarihyon, and supposedly the King and Queen of the Seelie, it wouldn’t be a simple matter of just out-levelling them. But we still have the advantages. The Pilgrimage is planned to level up everyone’s Kami-Blessed class, mine included, and I can give Fae-Bonded to the non-Fae girls… Cultivation too…

Daiyu smiled slightly, flushing under my intense gaze. “What is on your mind?” she asked, and I answered with another playful kiss, beckoning Eri over so she sat on the bed and let me kiss her too.

“I agree, it’s time to Cultivate. And not just for us. For all the girls. I want to push Chirurgery to its limits as well. We have your Dantians and additional meridians and minor chakras as a base, as well as the Night Orbs Shaeula’s network has. Experimentation is the key.” I then winced, as I realised I had said something I shouldn’t. Eri and Daiyu mercifully ignored that slip-up though. Yeah, I don’t want people to see the early stages of that experimentation. Especially not for what I have planned…

“Yes, we should all get stronger. And… I don’t think it’s fair that Daiyu can share herself with you in a way we can’t.” Eri declared.

“I cannot do this Fae method.” Daiyu protested, and Eri nodded.

“Yes, that’s not fair to you either. While I agree we are all different people and have diverse talents… ever since Akio returned to Nishimorioka I’ve learned one thing above anything else.”

“Oh, what is that?” Daiyu asked, interested, and I was too.

“That path Akio follows. And I believe it’s the right one. I hate to admit it, I do, but…” Eri’s black eyes were warm, though her smile was a little bitter. “…there’s strength in all of us acting together, being together. I only reached this level because of Shaeula’s influence on him. And when you combine the talents of everyone together, we can go further. Everything matters, whether it’s the combat skills and money of the noble girls, your Cultivation, the abilities of the Fae girls…”

“Do not forget yourself.” Daiyu said. “Without you…”

“Without me? Sometimes I don’t know what I contribute. Even Kana has her gifts and now a Divine Favour…” Eri said. “Not that it matters. I know I love Akio more than anyone, I always have…”

“Love cannot be measured. But I accept you love him deeply, and… it is thanks to you that Akio can even love at all, no? I have heard from Shaeula and have been observing him. You were the first to break the shell around his heart, and also paved the way for us, by accepting Shaeula. So do not despair. Besides…” Daiyu’s smile was warm, and Eri looked down, grateful and slightly ashamed of her petulance, so I stroked her head, suddenly feeling amused as black cat-ears sprang into existence, making Eri twitch as I toyed with them.

“…you are hardly weak. Perhaps you lag behind some of us, but you are correct. I will enjoy teaching you. Perhaps we shall start today.”

Eri was grateful but nervous. “I know you are focussed on your own practise, so I can wait…”

“Nonsense. Akio has his own tasks, so we can at least begin with the basics. There are no shortcuts, I cannot teach you through Dual Cultivation, that must be Akio, but…”

“You’re wrong.” Eri grinned, red-faced from pleasure now as my stroking continued, as I let the two girls bond with each other through shared understanding. It’s good. Eri, Asha and Daiyu are the quietest of the girls, so having them open up to each other is good… “There is a shortcut. I have a class… Spirit Pledged, Akio called it. It means that skills Akio has I can learn easier than otherwise, and the same applies to my skills. So since Akio has… oh.” Eri paused, realising the problem.

“Yes, Akio’s Qi Refining is likely not something you can replicate. But… the class intrigues me. Why do I not have it? I have pledged my life and Dao to you.” Daiyu was pouting a little.

“Who knows? It may well come in time.” I said reassuringly. “Spirit Pledged has fewer side effects than the Fae version at least… but I don’t want to talk about that.” Nearly made another mistake there. Eri’s eyes narrowed, but she let it pass. “Anyway…”

Making conversation, Daiyu and I headed for the bath to cleanse our sweaty and dirty bodies. Meanwhile, in the Boundary I was having another conversation, while checking the status of our ether supplies and Territory queues.

“The bustle here is so very entertaining.” Princess Ffionnan was saying. She had been ferried back to Shirohebizumi shrine in style after the watch party, before the ability of Ling had exhausted itself, but she had not returned to the Seelie Court, instead observing the breadth of our work. “The Seelie Court outstrips this small land, of course, but… the Court has existed for many tens of thousands of moons. This place is what… a few dozen moons old?”

“I haven’t calculated the exact flow of time here, but yeah, a dozen plus a handful more.” I was agreeing. The Queues were not particularly important anymore, now that we had decided the priority was pushing the Territory to Rank 4, quickly followed by Haru’s and then Eleanor’s. I do have to clear the Queues before we upgrade, and I have put one more expensive building in there. Once we are at Rank 4… extrapolating, and it’s only a guess, as the Rank 4 jump exceeded all my expectations, we are looking at a minimum of a hundred million, and two point five billion for the rush build. Even Asha’s Tree coupled with Shiro’s buffs won’t keep up with that easily. It could even be more…

At that point the delayed infrastructure would be more sensible. Though I had made some progress, as we now had all the Ether Spires in my Territory at a minimum of Rank 3, while three of them were Rank 4 and one was in the Queue ticking down. But then my Barracks and other standard Buildings, as well as specialist ones such as the White Snake Earth Altar, are lagging, hurting our potential…

The Queues were all diminishing. The Anchor Spire Queue and first Queue held the Ether Density and Ether Spire Anchor Spires to Rank 2, each with thirty-five Astral days remaining. It was a little lower than expected, which showed that Miyu had been performing her dances well. When I do expand to Rank 4 as a Territory, that will bring Miyu’s, Tan’s, Suzu-san’s, Arisu-san’s and more allied Territories under my protection, so we can work on Ranking them up and buffing their infrastructure too.

We then had the Rank 4 Ether Spire that we’d been letting tick down seemingly forever at a hundred and forty-four days remaining. The last Queue was the one we were using for rush building before, but what I had done now was fill it, with a Boundary to Material Connection to Rank 4, over at the site of Ixitt’s factory. The jump from Rank 2 to Rank 4 was facilitated by rush building the Rank 3 one, at a cost of nearly one point three million ether, and then the same again to add the Rank 4 to the Queue. It seemed a lot, but as we were generating over four million ether per Material day currently, it was one infrastructure build I was prepared to prioritise, as it would help Ixitt’s factory and the construction there immensely. Sure, we’re looking at roughly another five million ether to finish it off when we need to empty our Queues for the Territory upgrade, but at that point the radius it covers will extend from the current two hundred and fifty metres to a full kilometre, and the efficacy will grow.

Our current ether stocks were roughly ten million, after the bounty from mount Atago and the general production of Asha’s Tree and our Territories as a whole. Most of it was stored currently in Haru’s Silos she inherited from mount Atago, but in theory, if nothing went wrong, we could have accumulated the one hundred and sixty-five million more ether we needed in around a month and a half. Perhaps a bit sooner, when taking into account ether gained from battles and the growth of Vassal Territories in the meantime, but we also have other expenditures…

With three Rank 6 Silos under Haru’s control, as well as more Rank 5 and Rank 4 Silos, I addition to the Silos in my own Territory, we could manage more than half of the needed storage, in fact, we were pushing a hundred million ether we could store and protect. That fell short, but there was a workaround, which was to apply Annexes to boost the capacity. That would take some ether, but it was taken into account, and with Rank 6 Silos, even a cheap Rank 1 or 2 Expanding Silo would offer millions of extra ether storage. Haru also needs her second Throne of Heroes to Rank 2 to fulfil her wish of giving the three other survivors of Kondou Kazuo and Kiku another chance…

“So, what wonders will I see today?” Ffionnan enquired. “Perhaps more of the machine that can fly? I would like one!”

“I’m guessing you had a ride in a helicopter then. Hinata must have spared no expense.” I laughed, as I sorted through the materials I had asked to be gathered. With multiple kobold and dwarven mines running in the Territory, and an ever-increasing number of interested miners, as well as trade with the Seelie Court and Night Parade, we had accumulated large amounts of various metals, ores, gems, Etherites and monster parts. The most valuable were stored in the Treasury and Warehouse, but the rest was just heaped in ordinary facilities that had been built. That’s another bit of infrastructure we need, but there’s little time…

“Yes, she did-did indeed, I hear.” Shaeula said, grinning, as she arrived. She was finally free of escorting her family, and had returned, Asha and Hyacinth with her. “There is no shame in being impressed, I did-did rather enjoy it when I rode one myself. And we know-know they can be brought here.”

“Oh yes, Kyoto.” I agreed. “Though we’ve seen the limitations of Laverna’s abilities, haven’t we?” I turned to Ginneka, who had been sitting there quietly, though her ears and tail were flickering restlessly.

“Don’t blame me, nya! I’m doing my best!” she protested, and I nodded.

“Yes, though we know that hard work can strengthen the Favours, so I’ll expect you to improve over time.”

“Nya, you’re such a bully. Though I wouldn’t mind it in the sheets…” She tried to entice me in her usual manner, but I just ignored her, while Shaeula gave her a flat look, which eventually oppressed her, ears lying flat against her skull.

“Anyway, to answer your question, Princess…” I returned my attention to Ffionnan, our guest, who had contributed a number of ores and treasures to the pile as her first payment in getting a share of our enterprise. Explaining that to Mayumi-san will be interesting. Though it came from the portion she’s not involved with. Even though that’s the case, as a partner too they should have the opportunity to interact. “…for one I have a bit of spare time, with nothing major planned. So I am going to catch up on my training, I’ve fallen behind in some areas. I want to increase my crafting skills, as well as make better gear for everyone. We can’t rely just on levelling forever.” As Ffionnan tilted her head, the coins in her hair jingling as she was puzzled by the term, I continued. “Mount Atago taught me lessons too. Death can come suddenly, so we need to be as prepared as we can.” The Brigandine was hard to improve, but with other equipment and items It was possible to make us safer. I glanced down at the Seven League Boots that was my reward from the Tower of London. “And ideally… we need equipment that has a presence in both the Boundary and the Material. We know it’s possible, and Ixitt and his fellow Mortal Engineers are already experimenting… so I want to as well.” Dvergr Technique is especially important, as it has a side benefit of empowering any items I use with each Rank…

“Fascinating.” Ffionnan was surprised. “I would have expected the consort of the little princess here to be above manual labour.”

“No, I’m not above anything that makes us stronger and can protect those I care about.” I smiled. “So it’s time to get to work…”

 

********

 

“I think that was worthwhile.” I wiped silvery sweat from my brow. I hadn’t made anything of note, but I had grasped some of the principles Ixitt was calling his Law of Materialisation. When combined in certain ways, what was Astral could be made to exist on the Material, and the opposite was true. That didn’t create items that existed in both worlds at once, which was the ultimate goal, being able to be used wherever they were needed, but my insights were improving. “Time to take a break.” And move onto something else. “You’ve been helpful, Ginneka.”

As the Bakeneko preened, enjoying the compliment, I cast my gaze over to where some music was playing, a CD player that Shaeula had bade her fetch linked up to some of Ixitt’s batteries. There was even a TV, and while it couldn’t receive any signal here, with a DVD player attached it could work just fine.

Several ratkin cleared up my work, ferrying the remaining materials back to storage. Ffionnan had left after a while, growing disinterested, Shaeula accompanying her, but Hyacinth had waited, seemingly incapable of feeling bored while she was serving me.

“I’m going to go work on some other skills.” I told her. “If you have anything to do, you can go do it.”

Hyacinth raised one eyebrow at me, her silver-violet eyes seeming to see through me, before she nodded slowly. “I dooo have someone to speak to. But Akio…” she paused, uncomfortable for a second, before shaking her head. “Never mind. I shall see yooou later.”

It’s for the best. I don’t want people to see this. I found a secluded spot and began. At first it seemed similar to Ether Healing training, as I made a number of cuts and wounds in my body. The pain was annoying but bearable, and I gave a rusty chuckle at how far I’d come, considering how scared of pain and injury I was to start with. Of course, Ether Healing wouldn’t improve with such light work, not at the Rank I had it at. This was merely a prelude.

I’ve experience from healing Eri and Shiro. I know it can be done, but I still need to push it further. With a grimace, I pushed my little finger against Storming Moonlight, and the sharp blade, after a moment of resistance, sliced off the digit. Shit, that hurts. Ether Healing surged, and the finger regrew. I then sliced it off again, and replaced it with the first severed finger, reattaching it. As I wiggled it, it worked fine.

“Okay, as expected. Now for the test of time. I need to leave it an…”

“Shit bro.” my sis cursed, and I looked over to see she was watching me with concern and annoyance shining in her sapphire eyes. Shaeula was there too, as well as Hyacinth, who I would have expected to look apologetic, but now she just looked angry. “What the hell are you doing? Hyacinth here said you looked rather shifty. Here’s me thinking…” she strode over, looking at the severed little finger I held. “…you were maybe meeting one of the elf girls for a little affair, but no…”

“Aiko, what are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be doing your remote schooling?”

“Don’t you Aiko me, Akio!” she scoffed back, clearly pissed off. “Considering how mad you were when I burned my hand, and I understand why, to see you doing this… Shaeula, Hyacinth, talk to the idiot for me. If I do it, I’ll be too angry…”

“I am not-not annoyed.” Shaeula said, surprising me, and Hyacinth nodded. “I remember well the pain we suffered because of the Myconid Spores, and it was quite-quite necessary. If you believe such is necessary again, I will not-not deny you…”

“Nooor will I.” Hyacinth affirmed, surprising my sis, who looked at them accusingly. “But what is unfooorgivable is that yooou do it alone.”

“Yes, Hyacinth is correct. I have Ether Healing too, and keen eyes. I can-can assist you. Now, what is the purpose of this? Tell us.”

“Keen eyes.” I said bitterly. “That’s the point.” I looked at my sister warmly, and she stiffened up. “I know your goal, sis. You want to be a true Chirurgeon and Ether Healer. But without a special sight, that’s going to be really difficult. So… I wanted to give you that.”

“You wouldn’t?” she bit her lip, suddenly tearful. “You stupid idiot, bro! I was joking about the ninjas! I don’t want you to go blind for me! If you ruin your good looks, all the girls will be devastated!”

“I know that.” I flared flame, and the finger I held burned away to ashes. “And even if I wanted to, I can’t let you have my Eye of the Tree of Knowledge. But… if it could be duplicated and transplanted… wouldn’t your dream be in reach?”

Shaeula started laughing, while Hyacinth sighed. Looking at me tearfully, Aiko shuddered, talking a long breath, before scrubbing her tears away. “Man, you are such a fool, bro. There’s a thing as going too far for me. You should save that for your lovers, for Eri. But… I guess you are Nishimorioka’s, no, Japan’s greatest siscon, so I have to accept you’re simply crazy.”

“I believe you are just-just as much a brocon as Akio is.” Shaeula laughed. “I can hear your heart racing.”

“No you can’t! Shut up!” my sis protested, and as the bitter mood shattered, I touched my Eye gently. Even Yasaka-san’s Book couldn’t answer me fully, and the reply I got back from texting him was rather amazed, but… If I could do it… Whether the power was actually in my Eye or a part of me was something we had to determine, and it had to be done safely. Pain doesn’t matter. So long as we get benefits pain is temporary. Although…

“Since we have Hyacinth here, as well-well as us, perhaps it is indeed a good time to push our limits.” Shaeula grinned, and my sis went pale, before glancing at my hand and nodding.

“Bring it on! I’m not afraid, I’ll endure anything to be stronger. After all…” her smile was radiant. “Now I’m finally standing on the same stage as you, bro. And I’m an athlete. I always give it my best in training and competition!”

 

With that proud declaration, I could only smile wryly, defeated. “All right then, you asked for it. But I wanted to keep this secret in case it didn’t work. I didn’t want to get your hopes up, it’s a really long shot. But while we are here…” I eyed Shaeula, the glow of brilliant amber shining forth. “…there’s some other things we can try too…” Yeah, I don’t know when the next crisis will happen, we have to make the most of this downtime to do our best…

So, we launch into act 10. I've sorted all the puzzle pieces over the last few days, working out what goes in this arc and where. It's quite packed with stuff, as the title indicates. But we'll start with a refresher on Akio and the Territory *smile*

Timeline terms, we are now on Monday 2nd December.

31