Four Hundred And Forty-Four
598 9 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“That’s so gruesome bro.” my sis said, gagging, momentarily distracted from her pain. I had destroyed my regenerated eyeball, and was now gingerly trying to insert Shaeula’s amber eye into the empty socket. It was difficult, as the eye was more delicate, and despite her form resembling a human one, she wasn’t built in the exact same way.

“Yes, but weren’t you the one always joking about stealing eyes, Aiko?” Shiro teased her.

“Yeah but… in my case, I’d expect to at least be knocked out by anaesthetic or something!” she cried out, shocked.

Even despite the ghastly spectacle, nobody was looking away. My great Precision allowed me to move my fingers dexterously, and soon the eye slid in, bringing a few stabs of pain as it caught my severed nerves. It was then my Ether Healing surged, and as expected, it was not easy. Shaeula’s eyeball was foreign to me, and my body wanted to reject it, replacing it with my own regenerated eye.

“The sensation here is hard to describe…” I muttered. Azuki the doll had stayed to watch us in morbid fascination, but this was beyond her tolerance, and she rushed away, little legs thrashing, her face pale as the porcelain of her doll form in the Material, before hiding in the corner, only looking over occasionally. It’s like trying to push jelly through a wall… Taking control of Ether Healing, I precisely destroyed the fresh growth, allowing me to start flowing aether into Shaeula’s eye she had plucked out for me.

“This is quite-quite interesting.” Shaeula was observing me keenly, with both eyes shining, as the removed orb had regenerated, seemingly without causing any damage to her Mystic Eyes of Perception. “It is not-not as easy as I would have imagined.”

“I know a fair bit about transplants.” Shiro said suddenly. “I never had to have one, my specialists decided I’d never survive surgery and it wouldn’t work anyway, as they didn’t know why my body and all my organs were so fragile, but obviously I read about it. You can’t just move around body parts, they are treated as foreign invaders. That’s why you have to take a lot of drugs to suppress them, with nasty side effects, which would have killed me even if by some miracle I did survive surgery. But…” she stretched confidently, ignoring the mess that was her ravaged arm. “…that’s just applying science, right? Don’t we have ways to go beyond that?”

“Yeah, we do.” I agreed. Aether surged, and Ether Healing protested, but I also started using Chirurgery, making the nerves connect, the severed smaller capillaries and pathways realigned. The work was incredibly delicate, and not something I would have been able to manage without high Precision, Alacrity and Intellect. “With enough aether we can achieve many things. But it takes more than just that.”

Knowledge was important too. Fortunately I had done a little research, so I was aware of the general structure of an eye as well as how the nerves connected. Ether Healing was forced into action, and soon the eye was integrated into my body, and after a moment of wrenching dislocation where my vision blurred alarmingly, I blinked, able to see through both eyes again.

“Way to sport chunni eyes.” Shiro snorted. “Amber and grey, quite a combo.”

“I think what matters more is does the eye function properly?” Tsukiko asked, though she did seem fascinated by my new mismatched colouration.

“I can see fine, but…” Checking my skills there was no gain, and I couldn’t seem to activate the eye. “…as expected, it doesn’t work. But we’re not done yet.” I paused, looking around meaningfully. “…I understand this is fascinating, but there’s no point slacking in your own efforts.” My grin was sly. “So while I start trying to replicate the network around Shaeula’s eyes, we’ll be upping the intensity of your training…” Ignoring their groans and protests, Hyacinth unleashed more spores, and the training continued…

 

********

 

“You have quite the talent for this.” Daiyu was saying happily to Eri, who was sitting in a lotus position, trying to look composed, though she too was soaked with sweat. Not silver sweat though, this being the Material. It’s amusing that despite being apart, everyone is training hard…

“I don’t know about that.” Eri replied, though from the slightly proud smile on her flushed face, she was happy at the compliment. “I’m probably starting from a better position than you did?”

Daiyu nodded, glancing at me, before answering. “Yes, I believe that is true, to an extent. You are already proficient at handling the ether and aether that we convert into Qi. Rather than having to build up your senses and accumulation over time, you can move onto Qi Refining itself. But talent cannot be hidden, much as jewels shine even if covered in muck.”

“That metaphor is kind of hurtful.” Eri said, making a joke, and once more I was warmed by seeing Eri getting along with others, coming out of her shell. But then, Eri and Daiyu are a little similar in some ways. So it makes sense.

“In addition, your body is uniquely malleable.” Daiyu pointed out. “It can adapt and control itself well.”

I decided to use my Eye to observe, which was a trial, as I was already using it in the Boundary, trying to perform some very delicate Chirurgery on myself. Ignoring the phenomenal pain in my head, I peered into Eri’s body, and could indeed see that her Astral body had changed a little, a crude but unmistakable proto-Dantian having formed. Eri didn’t seem to have any Qi Refining skills yet, but there were tiny, almost unnoticeable traces of Qi within her body. “Yeah. Give me a second…” I reached out, placing a hand on Eri’s lower body. She flushed but didn’t flinch from my touch, instead looking at me, her black eyes trusting.

Flowing in my own aether, I started guiding her body. Rather than forcibly making changes as I would normally, I allowed the unique characteristics of Eri’s shapeshifting body she inherited from Ginneka to do the hard work. Time passed, and then we were done. Daiyu seemed surprised, as the efficiency rate of Eri converting aether to Qi had gone up by several orders of magnitude, though it was still a paltry couple of percent.

“Amazing. You have achieved in mere hours what would take a Sect disciple several years of dedicated work, if not more. This goes beyond mere experience.”

“It’s thanks to Akio. And to you.” Eri praised Daiyu in return. “After all, learning from a master is always going to help a student, right?”

“I can hardly call myself a master. Not yet.” Daiyu flushed slightly, her eyes narrowing in pleasure. “It is true though that my own talents have bloomed ever since I washed up on these shores. I think…” Daiyu said, suddenly serious. “…that your greatest talent is not your strength, but your speed of growth and the ability to inspire such growth in others, taking the talents of the many and making them the talents of all. Can even a dragon survive when faced with an army of snakes that have dragon breath, tiger fangs, phoenix flames and turtle shells?”

“That metaphor was even stranger. But I do understand it.” Eri chuckled. “Can I tell you a story, Daiyu?”

“We have time.” Daiyu nodded, while I thought about Daiyu’s words. The girls in the Boundary were struggling, the deadly spores inflicting great pain upon their bodies, yet they bore the pain willingly, laughing and joking even through the tears, seeking greater power, trusting in me when I said it was needed. Here, Daiyu and Eri were striving too, and even the girls not present were working hard in their own ways. I can do no less… My Eye peered at the string of silvery beads around my wrist, the seeds of the fruit of the World Tree. Ten shining silver beads, which glowed in an incandescent myriad of colours. There were twelve before, right? But two… one dissolved inside me, and the other entered my Eye…

Eri was telling Daiyu about the early days, when I foolishly tried to keep my abilities secret from Eri and my sis, and how Eri was so weak and feeble her first trip into the Boundary in Las Vegas, but after her hard work and the support of us all she started to grow. Daiyu nodded firmly, hard work something she definitely approved of. That made me think too. The direction of my strength. Daiyu is right. While one overwhelming power can defeat innumerable foes, a single power can’t protect. Power is better on offense, whereas numbers for defence. And I want to protect, not to conquer…

I was on the verge of realising something, when my phone rang. Distracted, I pulled it out of my pocket and saw it was Hinata calling. It’s getting so late? Damn, I have been engrossed in things. With Eri and Daiyu talking in the background here, and my efforts to perform Chirurgery on Shaeula’s implanted eye in the Boundary, all my attention had been laser focused on that, any spare thoughts going towards the idea slowly forming in my head. Where did the time go? “Hi Hinata, what’s up?” I said, answering the phone, and her cheerful, excited voice came back.

“Akio, good afternoon. I hear grandfather has already spoken to you.”

“Yes, about the visitor from South Korea, right? The timing seems a bit coincidental, so..”

“Yes.” Hinata agreed brightly. “I can’t imagine it’s anything else other than the situation in South Korea. Grandfather has done some digging, but hasn’t been able to find a conclusive link. But… it’s a chance. Although…” her tone was serious now. “If it’s anything dangerous, then don’t risk yourself. An opportunity isn’t worth risking your life for.”

“I thought the government was talking to South Korea’s.” I mused. Daiyu and Eri were watching, curious, and I waved a hand, promising to fill them in later.

“Yes. So whatever he’s coming for, we need to make sure that Japan gets its due too, so that we can get our share of the rewards.” Hinata declared. “But if we can get some extra benefits… Akio, can I come to the meeting? I need to bring two people too.”

“Two? Is one Mayumi-san?” I asked, and Hinata’s denial surprised me.

“No, not her. They seem unrelated people at first glance, but… trust me, it’ll be worth our while. But again, if the situation is too dangerous, we can miss the opportunity.”

“All right. I do feel sympathy for others, especially if they are involved with Chosen-related problems, but you’re right. I have to prioritise us first. But hearing him out makes sense.”

“Yes, of course. I’m not too worried anyway.” Hinata giggled on the other end of the call. “I know you’re strong, and cool too.” As I smiled at her compliment, she continued. “But if it’s a problem so severe that South Korea is searching for foreign help, especially from Japan… All of us from Hanafubuki have been trying to get a wider view of the world since meeting you, and we now know that Japan is hardly universally loved worldwide. Our past had some mistakes.” She gathered her thoughts, and it reminded me of the recent battle against the Kamuy. “But… that’s the past. We’ll learn from it. So yes, if they want our help it has to be a big deal. It might be as dangerous as London. So… caution, all right?”

I agreed, chatting some more about less serious things after agreeing that Hinata and her two guests could attend the meeting. It should be lively with her and Buck together. I wonder what he’ll think of her. After a while I hung up, realising it would soon be time for my date with Kana, considering school was finished.

“Yes, you’ll be late if you aren’t careful.” Eri said, shaking her head. “That’s not good.” She looked at Daiyu, and for a moment there was a mischievous gleam in her eyes. “I think we need to help him get ready. While his dress sense has definitely improved since the other girls take an interest in making sure he is ready for important occasions, for a date with a girl like Kana… he’ll have no idea.”

“I see.” Daiyu smiled slightly. “I had never thought I would be involved in such matters. Cultivators tend to dress in robes for all occasions. But I confess… my tastes have changed. So I shall be happy to help!”

Seeing the look in their eyes, my smile turned wry. Looks like I’m going to be their dress-up doll for a while. I suppose they do deserve a break, they’ve been working hard. But then, so have I…

 

********

 

“Yes, nothing.” I declared, a bit frustrated. “I’ve replicated all the structure I can see, but the eye doesn’t have any skill.”

Shaeula frowned, observing me. “Yes, you are quite-quite correct. It is puzzling, but not-not entirely unexpected.”

It was then we were interrupted with some harsh laughter. Tan had taken over Shiro again, and was criticising our efforts. “I did say such a feat was not trivial. I would hardly covet your Eye were it so simple.” Tan continued to laugh. “There is a difference between a part of a body that expresses a power or skill, or a thing that embodies it.” She adopted a lecturing tone, and I realised once again that she used talking down to us as an excuse to trickle information our way. Perhaps that is how she can get around the restrictions she is under. Feeling a warmth that Tan supported us in her own way, I paid attention, as did the others, their pale, haggard faces still matched with determined eyes.

“What do you mean?” my sis asked the obvious question. “It’s only natural that Mystic Eyes need the eyes. It’s like Sharingan or Rinnegan, right?”

Tan paused, momentarily confused, before her expression cleared up, having obviously shared Shiro’s knowledge. “I see. This world is strange indeed. Yes, some Eyes are of such power. Such as yours.” She looked at me, hair and eyes blazing crimson. “But is a talent with the sword embodied in a hand that holds the sword? No, most eyes would be an expression of the being that wields them.”

“What about elements then?” My sis asked once more. “They exist in the chakras, right?”

“Yes. But a dragon’s breath can be flame that exists because the dragon exists.” Tan countered. “Yes, most flames are embodied in the solar plexus chakra, but not all.”

Shaeula and I exchanged glances, before we both realised the same thing. “It’s just like Divine Favours.” I said, and Shaeula nodded.

“Yes, they are physical objects, embodying the ability they hold-hold within. Thus they can be taken out and given to others.”

“So that means, my Eye… it’s on the level of a Divine Favour? That makes sense, it’s certainly powerful.” I mused. “So in theory, I can remove my Eye and give it to my sis…”

“Yes, I believe the chances of success would be high.” Tan said, though her tone was gently mocking. “However, when the Favour is removed, can it be restored in those who it was removed from? Your sister would have the power then. You would not, your eye that you restore would simply be that. An eye.”

“No way.” My sis crossed her arms. “I want to see like you do, bro. Not rob you. And you need it way more than I do anyway!”

“If I may speak?” Tsukiko asked, and I smiled warmly at her.

“No need to be so diffident. Your voice is as important here as any.” I promised.

“I see.” She looked down shyly, before gathering her composure, and she donned the mask of the Diviner, her dignity shining. “I believe I understand what our Divine visitor is saying.”

Tan snorted at that manner of address, but looked pleased at the great respect Tsukiko had for her as a Goddess, even though she was not part of the Japanese Pantheon. As Tsukiko continued, her expression grew more impressed, looking almost comical on Shiro’s face.

“The gifts of the Gods are not a part of us. Whereas the eyes Shaeula has are of her, and thus cannot be transferred. Yet Akio’s Eye… it is not his alone. So it can be gifted to others, but what is gifted cannot be reclaimed. But… is that true?” Tsukiko paused. “I gave the blessing of Tsukuyomi to you, Akio. I do not regret it. Whether you stole the legacy that was intended for someone else or not, results speak for themselves. I would rather a hero who is here, than a hero who is destined.” I opened my mouth to speak, and now she was smiling, though she still maintained her cool elegance. “I have no need for your sympathy. I am here, growing stronger, am I not? Together.” She flourished her ravaged arm as a badge of pride. “My point is… while what noble divine Taṇhā says is undoubtedly true, it is not absolute. I can feel it.”

“Feel what?” my sis asked, curious, and Hyacinth seemed to heave realised something too. Perhaps it’s because the fact that the spores are, in a way, part of her? So she’s got a grasp on the bodies of those she’s seeded them on?

“Sooo long as the roots remain, a tree can grow again, nooo?” Hyacinth said. “It might be difficult, Hyacinth thinks, but doooes that mean we cannot do it? We have dooone many hard things, things nobody believed we cooould do. Mistress Tsukiko…”

“I understand your words, but I have no right to be called a mistress, not yet.” Tsukiko interjected and Hyacinth giggled.

“I think nooot. Did you not take in yooour mouth Akio’s mighty…”

“All right, enough of that.” My sis blocked her mouth, while Tsukiko flushed crimson and conceded the point with an embarrassed nod. After Hyacinth stopped giggling, she pushed the hands preventing her speech away.

“The moon doooes not vanish when the sun comes up. We Fae, we find the world strange, for all we knooow is the twilight of the Fae lands. But no mooore has mistress Tsukiko’s moon vanished. The roots remain, and while the moon is in Akio’s hands…”

“I see. You impress me once again, Hyacinth.” Shaeula was peering into Tsukiko with her eyes. “It is not-not entirely gone. Shadows, traces remain. Perhaps it could be reconstructed. So…”

I looked down at the sparking beads on my wrist. “You’re saying that if I removed my Eye, it could be regrown using the same material as before. Yes, I think it could be done.” I was excited, but Tan quenched our enthusiasm.

“I admit to being impressed by your thoughts. Few would make such leaps. But if it was so easy, do you think we would not have done this? The Favours are not simple adherence and aether. There is something more. As for the precious seeds, it is simply impossible. Such a material is one of the most coveted of the World Tree Pantheon, usually only qualified to be possessed by the favoured of the Gods, or the Gods themselves. It is not something you can work with, nor should you. When the seeds are gone, they are gone forever.”

No, is that right? I get it. We are way above the skills of Chirurgery Shaeula and I had then, but… it’s not like we could do anything at all before. It’s like the stories Eri is telling Daiyu even as they are getting me ready… “Here’s the thing. To my Eye, the seeds show up as a completed item. It’s Legendary, and way beyond my skills to mess with… but that doesn’t mean I can’t get better skills… and… they’re seeds, right?”

“Such hubris. Such abominable hubris.” Tan burst out laughing, tears streaming down Shiro’s cheeks glittering like flames. “The World Tree, that towering edifice, branches that could cover this entire world with its shade, you think you can cultivate it here, on a world so bereft of ether, adherence and…” she said another word, but all of us blanked out for a moment, unable to comprehend it. “…even if you could, do you have thousands of years for it to perhaps bear a single fruit?”

“Hey…” Shiro suddenly took back some control, eyes darkening. “…there’s more than one mythological Tree, right? In fact, even Norse myth has other Trees. Japanese myth has plenty too. So…” she looked at me, trying to convey something.

“Yes, Tan, I understand. These seeds are precious. But… at the least, I can spare one for my sister.” As I said that, Aiko blushed and teared up, touched by my care. “But here’s the thing. So long as a single seed remains, we’ve got a chance. And you said thousands of years… we’re still all going to be here then, aren’t we?” At Shaeula’s proud nod, I smirked. “So why should we give up a possible bright future, even if it takes that long? Planning ahead is only sensible.”

“Arrogance. I doubt the one who gave you that and bound the Divine Favour within it knew they were dealing with a madman. But then…” Shiro’s face twisted into a frown. “…madness sometimes begets genius. Just… beware of the fate of those who trespass into the domain of the Gods. Their fates are often not kind. Though…” her smile was genuine now. “…At least I am not as bored as I imagined I would be, trapped here. The princess is good company, except for…” she glanced at Hyacinth, whose grin was wide. “…enough. Watching you trying and failing will pass the long centuries. Though before then, this world will be imperilled, and you will have to set such dreams aside for harsh and inevitable battle.”

“Hey.” Shiro laughed. “Tan, since you are so confident Aki can’t do it… how about a wager?”

“A wager? You would gamble with me?”

“Why not?” Shiro replied. “It won’t be the first one. Shaeula and Aki had one before, and we’ve all got one now… which we’re going to win.” She grinned at me, and it was probably true. They’d hit the wall without any means of mystic vision at Rank 4, but I’d come up against the reality Shaeula’s eyes didn’t seem replicable, at least not without further study. I’m still not giving up. If a Dantian can be formed by Eri, then why can’t we replicate in the entirety everything that comprises the mechanism of Shaeula’s eyes? Sure, it’s a lot harder than I thought, but… I don’t want to always lose. I have my pride after all!

“So this will be the third. And we’ll actually be on Aki’s side for once.” Shiro finished. She outlined the terms of the wager, and everyone was surprised, especially Tan. Despite her shock, she still accepted, her pride and knowledge telling her we had no chance of winning.

“Very well. Entertainment is important, and should I win… I will have achieved my goal here, although not the way I expected. Do not regret this, princess.” she warned, and Shiro’s bright laugh pushed back.

“Regret it? You think any of us will? If we lose, then we lose, and it’s simply not much different to our original agreement, Tan. But if… no, when we win… it’ll be fun, I promise. You’ve been watching me all this time…”

“Not-not all the time, apparently.” Shaeula snickered, amused.

“…so you know, Aki can work miracles. And for victory he can force the world to bend if he must.” Shiro finished, face flushed.

“All right then!” My sis was buoyed up, the wager sparking up her competitive spirit. “It’s the perfect underdog story, like me going up against your brother, Shaeula. But next time we compete, I won’t lose so one-sidedly. Besides… being rivals pushes both sides to do better. Hey, we can do it, no matter then pain! Rank five, then rank six! Hyacinth, take a leg too! Maybe having the damage somewhere different will help…”

Watching everyone surge into action again, I couldn’t help but shake my head. How did it come to this? But… I looked down at my wrist, the silver beads shining, in contrast to the nice watch I could see on my other wrist in the Material, as I was approaching Shirohebizumi shrine to pick up Kana. Nothing is impossible, only something beyond our current skills. So for now… I gave orders to Azuki, asking her to fetch me a number of people and a pile of materials…

 

********

 

“Looking good there, Akio.” Kana said, and I was indeed dressed differently to usual, in a fashionable t-shirt, casual slacks, and some tasteful jewellery to match the expensive but understated watch on my left wrist. My hairstyle was a bit more aggressive, too, matching the toned muscles of my arms. “You look like a sporty university student out on the town.”

“You look good as well. I don’t often see you in a dress.” I observed, and Kana giggled happily as I took her hand, escorting her back to the expensive foreign car I had been driven here in.

She spun, the long hem of her red skirt fluttering. Her arms were bare too, despite the autumnal chill, as being a Chosen with decent stats, she didn’t much feel the cold anymore either. “Of course, this is a date after all. And you do like girly girls, right?”

“I like you.” I said, making her blush, and she punched my arm gently, so as not to hurt her own fist.

“Don’t do that, it’s embarrassing.” she pouted. “No, wait, do it more! But… if you’d have been that honest earlier, I wouldn’t have suffered so!”

“I know. I’m a jerk at times.” I said, and as we entered the back seat of the car, the tinted privacy screen making us feel alone as the car cruised into central Tokyo, we talked happily.

“I feel a little bad skipping out on the training school…” Kana was saying, leaning her shoulder against mine, though she was careful not to mess up her hair, which had been braided delicately. “But I’ll be doing it a lot from now on. I’m doing construction work in the evenings.” She let out a little giggle. “Me, the laziest girl around. Fortunately it doesn’t take any physical labour. I want to stay girly and cute.” She flexed her soft arm. “No, Kṣitigarbha’s blessing is really compatible with Grulgor’s skills and those who have mastered earth element. I’ve seen Ixitt’s plans. It’s crazy, but… more than fifty kilometres of tunnels, numerous underground spaces… all done before Christmas. It’s insane. Hinata-chan told me that it can take between three months and a year to drill a kilometre, depending on the circumstances, and we’ll be doing that in a day! It seems impossible, even with our talents, but…” She pressed her chest against my arm, and was amused as I flushed. “…honestly, I think we can. Maybe not to start with, but as we get more practise and grow our skills and coordination.”

“I know you’ll do your best.” I praised her, and she was the one flushing now.

“Hearing that, I have to, right?” she giggled. “I don’t want to let you down. Nor waste the effort Ixitt and Hinata-chan have done in planning everything. Besides…” her expression was sly now. “…Ren-kun is finally in charge, like he always wanted to be. He’s changed. He’s not a little brat anymore. Don’t worry, I left Asami-chan as his deputy. She’s been working on him for a while now. She really likes him. And I don’t think he’ll be able to resist a girl like her for long.”

“Yeah, he’s matured. Adversity can make a person or break them. I know that well.” I agreed, proud of him.

“Me too. I was such a selfish bitch. I mean, I’m still selfish…” Kana admitted. “I think I deserve a good life, but now not just because I’m beautiful. But because I’m going to be worthy of it. Asami-chan always felt like I did too. Mio-chan too.”

“So does Mio-san have her eyes on anyone?” I asked idly, and Kana gave me a look.

“Want me to ask her if she wans to join your harem?” she teased, and I shook my head.

“Nope, I have quite enough for now, thanks. Besides, she’s still very ordinary. I don’t think I’m a good fit for her. She might want to look at some of the noble sons…”

“No way. Those stuck-up pricks. Some of the girls are a bit like that too, but Hinata-chan and the others quickly educate them…” We continued talking during the journey, and as we arrived in Harajuku, a fashionable area popular with girls and couples dating, Kana kissed my cheek gently. “All right, enough talking about work. We’re on a date now, so couple talk only. Besides, you’re busy with the others now, right? It’s a touch annoying, knowing I don’t have you all to myself, but this is still fine. But you’re going to have it hard when things settle down.”

“They haven’t?” I asked, and she shook her head. We left the car, and the atmosphere around was busy and festive, and there were lots of fashionably dressed girls about, and a number of couples. I felt some eyes on us, as did Kana, as she stood straighter, proud.

“No way. After the talk show, it’s only a matter of time before you get wrapped up in more trouble.” she advised me. “But for now, you might as well relax. And enjoy it. Because I’ll be honest, even Eri, she’s not exactly up on what a date should be. But I know.” She boasted. “So you should be happy and go with the flow.”

“I will.” I laughed, pulling her close, enjoying the envious eyes on us. “And when we’ve done your date plan, we’ll do mine. I may not be that experienced, but I’m a working adult so I know a thing or two.”

“Yes, I always knew I was going to end up dating an older guy.” Kana steered me towards a famous clothing store. “Most of the men my age are so shallow and pathetic. It’s not their fault. They haven’t had the adversity we needed.” She giggled as I looked around. “Now, it’s shopping time. Even if we don’t buy anything, you want to see me put on a fashion show, right?” she paused, enjoying the moment. “But if you want to see me model some underwear, you’d best buy it, for a private show at home!”

 

********

 

“You didn’t have to buy all that.” Kana said, though her eyes were sparkling. “That’s not normal for a date. You might buy me one item, but…” She touched her hair, where the hairclip I brought her back from Las Vegas was shining elegantly. “…it was nice, seeing the other girls looking jealous. Worse, I think a lot recognised you. If you were alone, you’d have been mobbed.” She snuggled close. “Fortunately I’m a girl who knows how to look jealous. They have to be at least as pretty as me to approach you.”

“I do love that confidence.” I laughed, carrying several stuffed bags with my free arm. “But it’s your fault. You looked so good in everything.” I didn’t have the items delivered to our home, since that would have defeated the point, being as it was a date activity.

“Of course I do. I’ll even look good in that underwear. It’s cute. Sexy too. Ordinarily that’d be too soon, but it’s not like you haven’t already seen me in underwear, so I’ll make an exception on just this issue.”

“I’m honoured.” I laughed, and Kana pinched my cheek, knowing I was remembering that.

“So, next we’ll go to the arcade. It’s a little high school romance, but some of the girls at school love showing off the pictures they’ve taken with their boyfriends. Though usually the boyfriends look bored…”

“I don’t think I’ll be.” I said, and Kana rolled her eyes, amused.

“Of course not. Firstly, you’re with me, and I’m fun. I know we talked about serious things like work earlier, but really, I’m not that heavy a girl. Secondly, unlike most of their boyfriends, you’re mature. I mean yeah, a number were students at Tokyo universities, but they were still just overgrown boys from what I hear. Whereas you’ve experienced things they can only dream of. Lastly, it’s not like you have time to be bored, considering you’re also doing other things at the same time. But I want to make sure your focus is on me, so I’ll be entertaining and pleasant company!”

I leaned over, and we kissed gently. “I know. Don’t worry, you’re getting just as much of my attention.”

The arcade was busy, and I spotted a crane game. “Want a prize?” I said, and Kana chuckled.

“Normally that’s a waste of money. But why not?” She took a breath, before putting on a seductive voice. “Akio, I really like that plushie. Can you get it for me? If so I’ll reward you!” she spoke loudly enough to attract attention, relishing it.

“I’ll do my best.” I promised. I could hear the whispers of the watching people, mentioning my name. It was a bit uncomfortable, but going over to the machine I tossed a coin in. Using all my senses, I quickly grasped the motion of the arm and the weakness of the claw. Yeah, it’s designed to drop the prize, but… Soon I had carefully hooked the desired plush toy, and with a delicate motion I flipped it into the prize slot. Pulling it out I presented it to Kana, who grinned.

“Thanks. I‘ll treasure it!” she declared, showing off for the crowd. Taking my arm she led me to the photo booth, where we spent some time playing with the photographs, striking silly poses and generally having fun…

 

********

 

“Yeah, adult sophistication is the best.” Kana’s eyes were sparkling. “I mean, I even have a job now…” She grinned, clinking her glass against mine. She was drinking a sparkling fruit juice rather than the wine I was, though the staff here would have turned a blind eye, considering our status.

“Speaking of, I’ll make sure you actually get paid for the construction.” I promised, and Kana gave me a flat look.

“Why? I’m your girlfriend, but we both know that’s just for now, and when we’ve had our fun we’ll take it to the next level. So what’s yours is mine anyway.”

“Yeah, but work should be rewarded.” I pointed out. “It’s a matter of principle. So just accept it. Use it to treat your friends and family, since you’re right, if you need anything, I’ll see you get it.”

“So sweet. Really, you’re a pushover, Akio.” Kana giggled. “But it does make me feel special. It shouldn’t work, considering the others. But the time we’ve spent together, while it isn’t long, it’s been deep.” She looked out of the window over Tokyo. “Life can surprise you, right?”

“True. You were so sure you wanted a guy to only look at you, to treasure you alone. I can’t do that.”

“I know. Because right now you’re not just here with me. But even with that, I’ve still had a fantastic time, my heart’s been racing for hours.” Kana continued to stare at the skyline. “I realised that the nonsense you talked abut being ten times the man anyone else was so that everyone’s share was better than anyone else was true. And it’s only going to become truer.” Kana sighed. “I’m a little worried. Things don’t seem so bad now, even the battle at mount Atago was manageable. But when danger breaks out everywhere… it’ll be nice to have a boyfriend who’ll protect me.” She turned back to me then, brown eyes sparkling. “And I’ll do my part protecting you, our family, and everyone else. Because… you trusted me enough to see that I was more than just a spoiled idiot with some worthless old talents. And I love that.”

“In fact, your eyes are important. I need to study them too.” I said, as the contrast with Shaeula’s eyes might prove valuable. “But they’re also pretty.”

“You’re definitely getting better at compliments.” Kana laughed. “I may still sound a selfish girl, talking about your value. But I have value too, right? So it’s only fair I match with someone worthy.” She paused, taking another sip of her drink. “I did enjoy the usual movie date, that was textbook. But a fancy meal in a nice restaurant has merits as well. Definitely.”

“It does.” I agreed, admiring Kana’s profile once more. “I’ve had the promised fun. So, do you want dessert?”

“I’m watching my weight, but really, that doesn’t matter so much now, since I’m working so hard.” She chuckled, picking up the menu, before giving me an extremely cute look over the top of it. “So yes, I’ll have dessert. But you won’t be. Not yet.”

“You tease!” As Kana didn’t deny it, I felt warm inside. She’s right. I do need a more normal relationship. Yes, I want to take it to the next level, to have Kana stand equal to everyone else, but for now… having a normal date, talking about ordinary things… it’s certainly a welcome balm to soothe some of the stress I’m under…

So yeah, currently work is chaotic and busy, and whether it's the stress or just random, I've been having a ton of migraines, so haven't got anywhere near as much done as I'd like. However, writing and reading soothe me, so getting some done is a welcome distraction. But this is a heads-up this week is likely to continue to be irregular and crappy in terms of scheduling, depending on how work and my head goes...

Anyway, related to the chapter... one person did guess the potential developments mentioned here quite a while ago *smile* I don't think any of what was suggested will be in any way easy, but... long-term goals are good, right? *smile*

30