9 – Decision (1)
684 6 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Three days had passed since the hot water ran out, the electricity was cut, and everything in the house was powered by the generator moved by gas.

And today Jonathan decided that he was going to go out for supplements. He took knives from the kitchen and left the gun with Nathanael and not with Nathan, since Nathan had already caused the death of one person by not shooting.

Jonathan was wearing a black jacket that had a hood. He checked his weapons and clothes one last time, "I'm ready.''

Samantha was still worried, "Are you sure you want to go out alone? Nathan can go with you. By the way, we still have plenty of gas and supplements. There is no reason for you to leave the house.''

Jonathan shook his head, "Nathan is staying to protect you. And in our situation, the more supplements we have, the better.''

After saying goodbye to the group, Jonathan left to 'explore'. The main objective of today's exploration is to find a car that works and see if it fits into the inventory. The rest of the time, Jonathan will spend hiding in the area.

Is worth mentioning that the neighborhood where Jonathan and Samantha's family lived, only had houses, no buildings. There were around 20 houses in the area.

As soon as he left the house, Jonathan was on full alert, ' I don't want to die because I wasn't paying attention.'

He wouldn't go far from his neighbor, but still, Jonathan was overexposed.

The group had already gone to check if they had neighbors in the houses around the area, but they all seemed empty. Jonathan would now check the garages, to see if there was any car he could use.

'The problem won't even be finding the car, it will be finding a key that will make the car start...'

After looking in two houses where the garage was not open, in the third one, Jonathan got lucky. The garage was open, and the car was there, but the key was not in the garage. Jonathan hesitated for a moment but decided to look for the key inside the house.

Jonathan tried to open the door that led to the house, but without success. Since he didn't want to risk getting hurt by slamming his body on the door, Jonathan took a pistol with a silencer from the inventory and shot the doorknob.

'Bang'

The shot made a small noise, but since it had been almost two weeks since the beginning of the Apocalypse and there were practically no zombies around the area, Jonathan was not worried that zombies would appear thanks to the sound.

Jonathan then entered the house through the door he just shot open.

'Dark...If there were anyone alive here, they would have a backup generator, right?'

Taking a flashlight from the inventory, Jonathan put it next to his pistol. As he did so, he remembered someone, 'I look like Leon from RE4...'

Ignoring his mind, Jonathan started to explore the house.

After checking the whole bottom of the house he went to the top.

It had four rooms, and Jonathan stopped in his tracks when he noticed something on the floor, ' Blood...'

Immediately Jonathan knew that there was at least one zombie in the house, ' The bottom of the house is clean, but the layout of these rooms is a problem.'

The four rooms were facing each other. If Jonathan were to try to open one room, he might suffer an ambush from behind.

' What to do, what to do...'

With only the light from the flashlight, not knowing if the doors were open, and not knowing how many zombies were around, Jonathan didn't have many options.

He decided to take the safest route. Jonathan went down, grabbed a glass from the kitchen, tossed the glass between the rooms, and waited for a reaction.

Sure enough, two zombies came out of two different rooms, ' if I had passed there, I probably would have been ambushed...'  

Thanking himself, Jonathan aimed his pistol at the head of one of the zombies.

Bang

The shot hit the shoulder since Jonathan was a little far away.

Bang, Bang

At the third shot, a zombie died. However, even with the silencer, the pistol still made noise and drew the other zombie towards Jonathan.

Jonathan didn't have to worry about ammunition, so he shot without fear. This time, he hit the headshot on the first try.

Bang.

Jonathan waited a little longer to see if there were no more zombies and then continued exploring for the car key.

He first looked in the zombies' pockets but found nothing. Then he searched the rooms. In the last room, Jonathan found the car key.

' Eureka!'

Getting what he wanted, Jonathan went back to the garage. He then tested something, to see if he could put the car in the inventory.

And surprise, surprise, he could do it, 'That's awesome!'

Jonathan then tested the car, to see if everything was working right, 'Battery is normal, the car is running well, the tires are ok... but the gasoline is low.'

Not wanting to have any unforeseen problems, Jonathan bought gasoline from the SHOP and filled the car's tank to the limit. Then, he stored the car in the inventory, ' I will only use it in case of emergencies.'

After all that, Jonathan realized that less than 10 hours had passed since he left the house, and now he was left with nothing to do, ' What do I do now?'

With nothing better to do, Jonathan decided to be a good person. He checked the whole house one more time and noticed that there were only these two zombies.

Jonathan then carried the bodies to the garden and made a tomb for the two zombies. '' ...''

After a few hours, Jonathan finished everything. He made a gravestone and entered the couple's house again.

Entering there, Jonathan looked for a couch and sat down on it, '' Now I'm tired.''

It was almost night, and Jonathan wouldn't risk leaving at this hour. He barricaded the door he entered and lay down on the couch.

Wanting to see how the world was doing, Jonathan took out his cell phone from his inventory and turned on the internet. Minutes later, Jonathan knew more or less the state of the world.

'It's worse than I imagined.'

The world ended, but Jonathan still found it hard to believe how easily the world fell.

The internet was still working, even though the apocalypse started a few days ago. Again, many people put their information on the internet in hopes that someone would save them, but it wasn't looking that good.

From what he could gather, France, Italy, and many other countries were now the land of the dead. Very few people from those countries said anything on the internet and from those that talked, the situation there was horrible.

' We are so lucky that the location here is very isolated... but this place isn't that secure. We will need to leave eventually.'

Even though Jonathan's group never received an attack from zombies at their house, he wasn't that naive to think that this means it was a very safe place.

'Actually, is there any safe place in an apocalypse?'

' Only our house is barricaded. If dozens of zombies pass through that, it will fall. And there are humans too... I don't know how the other humans would act.'

In his old world, the stories in which zombies dominated the world, they usually were just a part of the problem. The humans in those stories would always be the big problem at the end of the day.

After surfing the web for a few more minutes, Jonathan finally succumbed to his sleep, ' I'll go back home as soon as I wake up...'

---
Jonathan was awakened by a loud noise in the streets near his location. Rushing up with weapons in hand, Jonathan quickly checked the time and found that it was morning. Yet, the sky was still dark.

Jonathan ran to see what the noise was and saw it was a car running at high speed in the neighborhood. He cursed, "Idiots!''

Besides waking Jonathan up, the idiots were making a lot of noise and attracting zombies to the location.

To Jonathan's surprise, the car stopped at one of the houses nearby. Out of it came four people. They didn't care and were talking too loudly, "Let's check these houses one by one, and then let's go! This neighborhood is known to be rich, so we'll be lucky today!''

Jonathan first was surprised by being woken up so suddenly, but now he was angry, ''Idiots! The world is on the verge of destruction! Money doesn't matter that much anymore.''

That's what he thought, but without money, Jonathan couldn't use the SHOP.

Jonathan watched as people looted the houses around him. Then a realization hit Jonathan, ' Samatha's house is a little further away from this location.'

Then one thing came to Jonathan's mind was, 'If they try to force their way into m house, would I kill them?'

Although he knew it was a possibility, to kill another human that threatened his life in the apocalypse, doing such a thing was different than think about it.

And Jane was a technicality, since she was already dead. Jonathan just accelerated the process.

The answer Jonathan came up with was, 'Maybe.'

If they presented a threat, Jonathan would not hesitate. But what constitutes a threat? What these men are doing is bad, but with the end of the world coming, is robbing houses that bad? Jonathan himself broke into the house and stole the owner's car.

The worst of it is that Jonathan didn't care about their robbery, the biggest problem is the noise they made, 'I think even Samantha heard the noise.'

After 40 minutes, the robbers came to the house where Jonathan was. Not wanting to spill blood that wasn't necessary, Jonathan went out the back door and returned home on foot.

'If they go to Samantha's house... a confrontation would be inevitable...'

-----

MINUTES LATER

Jonathan finally arrived home after making sure no one was following him.

He arrived at Samantha's place and knocked on the door. Jonathan waited a few moments and when he felt enough time has passed, he said the password, '' ... Mitoei.''

As soon as Jonathan finished speaking, the door opened. Jonathan rushed inside.

The one who opened the door was Eve, but Nathanael was close by with the gun pointed at the door.

' Good, they are learning.'

'' Hi, everyone. The trip was a success.'' Jonathan dropped his backpack which was filled with a lot of bottles of gas, food, and water.

'' Gasp! Where did you find all that!?'' Samantha, who was nearby, came out when she realized it was Jonathan who entered the house. She was even more surprised when she saw how much stuff he brought back.

'' I broke into a few houses... No one was there anyway. Those things will help in our survival.''

The group gathered around Jonathan's backpack. Eve closed the door first and joined.

After all, was said and done, Jonathan mentioned the people he saw robbing the houses, '' Tonight we will not use any light or make any sound.''

'' Why?''

'' There's a group of people near here that's going inside the houses and stealing things. Maybe they will pass through here and don't come near us but I doubt it. So we need to be prepared.''

'' For what?'' Eve asked.

'' To make a decision. If they try to enter the house, will you let them or will you shoot them?'' Jonathan said to Eve, but in reality, it was to all people in the house.

Jonathan saw the conflict inside everyone's eyes but it only last for a moment. '' If they try to enter here, we will them that there are people inside. If they still insist on entering our house... we shoot them.'' Nathanael was the one who said that.

Jonathan nodded, '' What if they want to trade?''

Nathanael was caught off guard, '' We trade then?''

'' What if the trade was just a distraction?''

Jonathan could see the pieces falling together inside Nathanael's head. He continued, '' In the end, it doesn't matter what they want to do. What matter is how will you act. You have to be prepared for all possibilities. Remember that.''

After that, Jonathan helped Samantha catalog all the things he brought home. It was a lot.

'' Thank you for going out.''

''Don't mention it. It's the right thing to do.''

Then, after finishing all that, Jonathan went to the living room and sat on the sofa. Everyone else was there too.

'' By the way, did you see any zombies around the area?'' Nathan asked.

Jonathan paused and remembered the noise the people made. He hesitated but told them, '' I only found two zombies and killed them...But, those people that entered the houses were doing a lot of noise before they arrived here. They could've brought zombies with them, but I'm not sure.''

Nathan looked taken aback,'' Should we prepare if anything were to happen?''

It didn't cross Jonathan's mind to do that, because he had the SHOP so he didn't have to worry about things like supplies or the like. But Nathan and the rest had to worry about that.

'' That's an amazing idea. Go grab a few sets of clothes, the car keys, and some food.'' Jonathan looked at Samantha, '' I'm sorry, we just organized it and now we were taking things out.''

Samantha smiled, '' Don't worry about it. If this makes us safer, I don't mind one bit.''

'' Where do I put the supplements?'' Nathanael and Eve went to help Nathan with things. They came back with some supplies.

'' Put those in the back of the car. If anything were to happen, we already have things ready to leave.''

Nathanael and Eve nodded and went to the garage. They arrived in the living room with Nathan soon after.

It was just past the morning but the group had nothing to do to pass the time.

The entire house was in silence. Jonathan then remembered something. '' Hey, Nathanael. Didn't you have WAR with you? Let's play it!''

 


A few more chapters until our group hits the road!

Thanks for the Support!

31