12 – On the Road (1)
576 8 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It had been two weeks since Nathan had died. Jonathan and Samantha kept alternating who was driving and today it was Jonathan's turn. Eva and Nathaniel were sleeping in the back. Samantha was at shotgun.

The group was in the middle of their way toward Florida. To say their trip was a disaster would be an understatement. They had to change cars a few times, for some reason the app started to malfunction some time ago, and they're left in the dark. They even passed some hordes but managed to avoid them.

The only reason they weren't lost is that they downloaded the maps beforehand, otherwise, their situation would be even worse.

And now, Jonathan was driving off road, while looking outside for any sign of danger. Samantha was also awake.

''It's time we talk about the bag of things you found that day.'' Samantha suddenly said.

Jonathan sighed but continued driving, ' I knew this day would come, but I never thought it would be this soon. I wasn't exactly stealth while using the SHOP, but still...'

'' Ask away.''

Samantha seems to hesitate, fearing that the answer she would hear could change their dynamics, but asked anyway,'' What are you?''

''I am human... but I'm also something more.'' Jonathan decided he would be honest with Samantha. It could lead to something good or something bad. But life is a long course where you have to make decisions that alter your entire journey, and Jonathan trusted Samantha.

Jonathan then opened his hand in front of Samantha. The hand was empty. He closed it, and when he opened it again, there was a bullet inside.

Samantha was shocked,'' How?!''

''As I said, I'm something more.'' Jonathan then took a pistol, some water, shampoo, and other things and showed them to Samantha.

''I can store things in an infinite space. We don't have to worry about resources, because-''

''Stop.'' Samathan said in a small voice.

''Why?'' Jonathan was confused

''It seems that you have something else important to tell me but I don't know if I'm ready to hear it...'' Samantha was being honest. If what he told her just now was something simple in his mind, imagine what he hadn't told her.

Jonathan knew that knowing this is a huge risk for him, but he already started talking, he wouldn't stop now.

Without giving Samantha another chance to interrupt, Jonathan said, "I can buy infinite things. Resources, weapons, gasoline. With me around, you don't have to worry about any of that.''

Samantha was quiet for a while,'' Did you have this before Nathan died?''

Jonathan hesitated but nodded.

A few tears came down Samantha's face,'' Could you have saved him?''

Jonathan nodded, then shook his head, ''Maybe? In the end, what really matters is that he asked for the gun. Even with the gift that I have, I couldn't save him after he was stabbed. I'm not a real doctor, I only amputated Franklin's hand because no one else could've done it.''

After hearing all this, Samantha remained silent.

Jonathan noticed this and asked, "Are you okay? I shouldn't have said too much about this, I'm sorry. You weren't ready.''

Samantha looked at Jonathan. Within her gaze, Jonathan could see conflicting feelings. She sighed, ''I shouldn't have asked. It was better that I didn't know any of this.''

Jonathan took Samantha's hand, who didn't reject it, '' I know what happened to us is horrible, but I promise that from now on, there will be no more secrets between us. And I promise to protect you, Eve, and Nathanael from anything the world throws at us.''

Samantha remained silent but still didn't take Jonathan's hand away from hers.

Jonathan knew she needed time to digest everything he had said, so he left her to her thoughts. 'But at least she knows... if I find my parents, I'll tell them everything.'

Jonathan continued driving and Samantha remained silent. Both of them didn't realize that in the back seat, Eve was awake and heard some parts of the conversation...

----

THREE WEEKS LATER

Another three weeks passed and the group finally arrived in Florida. Now it was just a matter of going to the last known location of Jonathan's parents and seeing if they were still there.

And there was another situation. Samantha had not been feeling well for the last week. She complained about nausea and such.

Jonathan was getting worried, so he stopped the car,'' Are you okay? Do you want me to get some kind of medicine for you?''

Samantha shocked her head, ''Don't worry, it's just nausea...''

After saying nausea, Samantha's eyes widened and she became quiet. 'I haven't had my period this month... No, it can't be!'

Jonathan noticed this reaction and the wheels started turning in his head, ' We had sex 5 weeks ago... she's complaining of nausea for some time now. The problem is not the food, because I brought it from the SHOP and everyone else would be affected.'

Jonathan was left with the most logical conclusion, '' Could it be that you are pregnant?''

Samantha interrupted him,'' I don't know... but right now I need to be alone.''

She then woke Eve up and switched places with her.

Jonathan was worried, 'If she really is pregnant, that will be a problem. Good thing I have SHOP...but the question is, who is the father? I know for a fact that she and Nathan slept together a few times since the start of the apocalypse... so I really don't know who the father is... But the SHOP must have something that could help me with that.'

Deciding to check, Jonathan searched the SHOP while paying attention to the road. It took a while but he found a DNA test, ' If she's really pregnant, should I even use this...?'

With doubts in his mind, Jonathan went to the last know location of his parents.

3 DAYS LATER

Jonathan arrived at his aunt's house. He was very nervous, not knowing what happened to his parents was taking a toll on his conscience.

Jonathan got out of the car. He then looked inside it and said, '' If you want, you guys can wait in the car.''

Nathanael shook his head, ''We are family. Go ahead and I'll cover for you.''

Jonathan nodded. Then he told Samantha, ''If anything happens shoot, first ask later.''

After making sure Samantha and Eve are at a location considered safe, Jonathan took a deep breath and went to his aunt's house, with Nathanael right behind him.

Jonathan reached in front of the door and slammed it. He waited a while and noticed that there was no movement inside the house, ' This is good and bad. Good because it means there aren't any zombies and bad because it means there aren't any humans inside'

Deciding not to wait any longer, Jonathan used the pistol with a silencer and shot the doorknob.

Bang

After the shot, it was only necessary to push the door open a little. Jonathan entered the house with Nathanael following him.

Jonathan looked around the room and calmed down, ' No blood in the room. A good sign, I just have to check the other rooms.'

After the living room, the duo Jonathan and Nathanael went to the kitchen, where they had the same result. No blood but no sign of people.

They searched the whole house, even the basement, but found nothing. There was only one room left, but Jonathan already knew that his family was no longer there.

Before entering the last room, Nathanael stopped Jonathan. Jonathan looked at him, "What is it?''

Nathanael, who had gained maturity beyond his own age, looked at Jonathan with a firm look, '' I know there probably won't be anything inside the room, but if there is... know that you're not alone. You have me, my mother, and Eve to give you strength.''

Jonathan thanked his friend and took a long breath, "Let's go.''

Jonathan then opened the door and...

-----

WITH SAMANTHA AND EVE

Samantha was lost in her own thoughts, ' ... The nausea is the same as I felt when I was pregnant with Nathanael and Eve. If I am really pregnant, I really don't know who the father is. The interval between the two was very short.'

Samantha sighed. She didn't regret sleeping with Jonathan, even more so now that she knew how valuable he was to her and her family's survival, but she should have used protection.

While Samantha was thinking about the future, Eve caught her eye, "Mom.''

This brought Samantha back to the real world, ''What is it my love?''

Eve fidgeted and said in a guilty voice, '' A few days ago, I unwittingly overheard your conversation with Jonathan...''

Samantha's face turned white, 'She heard us talking about the possible pregnancy!?'

To Samantha's relief, Eve continued, '' I was mostly asleep, but I heard when he said he was going to protect us from everything and he was holding your hand. Can you tell me why?''

Samantha sighed in relief internally, but still, she was in a bad situation, ' What should I tell her? The truth? That I slept with Jonathan and now it seems he has feelings for me, or should I lie to my daughter...?'

After a few moments of silence, Samantha was about to tell a half-truth but Jonathan and Nathanael left the house. Samantha sighed in relief, she looked at Eve, '' We'll continue this conversation later, ok?''

Eve nodded.

Samantha then turned her attention to Jonathan and Nathanael and noticed that no one else was with them, 'So his relatives aren't there... but he seems to have a letter in his hand.'

Samantha noticed that Jonathan had a letter in his hand.

The duo approached and got into the car. Samantha noticed that Jonathan was quieter than usual, '' ... Do you want to tell us what happened?''

Jonathan first asked Samantha a favor, '' Can you drive today?''

Samantha nodded.

Jonathan then started talking and gave Samantha the letter to read, '' My relatives left the house exactly three days ago... They knew I was coming but apparently, another group of humans discovered the place and attacked. My family managed to stay alive but the place was compromised and they had to leave.''

''In the letter, they couldn't tell me the exact location of where they were going, only that they were going to go on the road and would stay in the region between NY and Florida.''

Samantha passed the letter back to Jonathan who kept it. 'This location covers many states and cities... If Jonathan decides to look for them, it will be very difficult to find them.'

But of course, Samantha was not going to say that out loud. Jonathan was already clearly shaken, and she didn't want to add another problem. But she knew that Jonathan was aware of this problem.

''What now?'' Eve asked.

'' ... I haven't the faintest idea. But for now, how about we just drive?''

Samantha agreed with Jonathan's suggestion.'' Where to?''

'' Foward.''

 

 


Jonathan's parents will eventually appear, but not until the middle or end of the fic. Will they be alive and well?

26