43 – Changes (2)
170 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When Jonathan entered the place where he asked Eve to gather everyone, they were already there. Eve wasn't there because she only came to bring them. He wasted no time, ''I just came back from a place that could have brought danger to us. But I took care of it.

Although he was confused by what Jonathan said, Rick asked, ''What happened?''

''The leader was ... a psycho, to say the least. Literally threw people who come from outside, to trade or something like that, to be zombie food, without any reason. He planned to do the same to me so I hatched a plan to kill him and it worked.''

''But how did you know this group existed? And that they were going to attack us?'' Rick asked once more.

Jonathan told the truth, ''Michonne told me about a place she passed and that the inhabitants knew the location of a prison with a group of people living inside and were thinking of attacking. I confirmed that information and acted accordingly.''

Rick didn't see a problem with that and Gabriel was already completely Team Jonathan, so he didn't care either. Samantha stayed quiet as she knew pretty much everything.

But just to make sure and not leave any loose ends, Jonathan told them everything that happened. Including Merle and his relationship with Daryl and how Woodbury and the Prison will probably become allies.

'' But stop talking about me. I asked Eve for information but I'd like to hear from you. Tell me what happened while I was gone.'' Jonathan asked the 3 of them.

Rick went first, ''We accepted people into the group. They seemed normal but we're sticking to the protocol of leaving them alone for a while and then seeing how they're adapting.''

''What were their weapons?''

'' Hmmmm, they only had two guns but there were many knives and some bats. The guns were an M4 rifle with only one magazine left and a Glock with 9 rounds left.'' Rick told them all about the guns and thought, 'Amazing how big our arsenal is.'

By Rick's reckoning, they were using up a lot of ammo but it didn't look like they were running out.

"Did you ask them what were their profession before the apocalypse?'' Jonathan was curious about this part, 'Let's see if Eugune is lying here too.'

'' One of the guys, a big guy by the way, said he was ex-military and I believe him by the way he carries himself. He also worked in construction and is a handyman.''

' Abraham...'

'' His wife and daughter said they can help in the kitchen, while his son said he would like to accompany his father. Then we have Rosita who said she didn't mind doing anything... and then we have a strange guy name Eugene, but I'll tell about him later, as it will be quite ... long.'' Rick casually told this but noticed the strange expression Jonathan was making when he finished speaking, ''What's up? Do you know any of them by any chance?''

Jonathan pulled his doubts to the back of his mind and shook his head, ''Don't worry, I got distracted for a second. Go on.''

In fact, Jonathan was surprised, ' So here Abraham's family was not killed and is alive and well... Good.'

In both TV series and comics, Abraham's family was brutalized and killed, leaving a good man, now broken, behind. So the fact that they were alive was probably a good thing, for the happiness of the man.

But the surprises kept coming and didn't let Jonathan regroup his thoughts.

'' We also have another group, this one with 3 people, totalizing 8. They are named Tyreese, Sasha, and Bob.''

Jonathan could only smile at the absurdity of the situation, ' So, basically the whole group, with some people not being there and the others that would only be added later on, is now complete. Again, I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing...'

Rick continued talking about them, explaining their situation and whatnot. After he finished saying, he looked at Jonathan, '' I know I did that without asking-''

'' Let me stop you right there.'' Jonathan interrupted and looked at the trio around him, '' To be honest with all of you, I don't like being ... the leader. I only took this role because no one around me had the guts or the strength to do what was right to survive.''

'' But times change and so do people. So, I plan to make this a somehow democracy, without a de facto leader. I want the people here, to make the decision together. We will add people later on, but for now, the 4 of us is enough.''

While Samatha expected that decision from Jonathan, she still asked, '' Why now?''

Jonathan paused, '' You see, I have more value as a person who goes outside to grab resources rather than being a leader. As you all know, I have amazing luck regarding that and not using it is a crime.''

Rick and Grabiel could only nod at that logic, while Samantha just smiled, as she knew Jonathan always was looking for an excuse on how to make his gift more strong, ' And it seems he has found it.'

'' Ok, but how would it work exactly? What if we other 3 take a decision you don't like and we have an argument?'' Rick was confused about that part.

Jonathan just smiled, '' If you take a decision that I don't like it's probably the wrong one... Jokes asides, I would have to accept it. This is what democracy is.''

But Jonathan didn't mention that if they do make what he could consider a bad decision, that could lead to unnecessary deaths, he would intervene.

The others had nothing against it, and so, they accepted the new change in the group's dynamic. They spent some time discussing how to make this arrangement work, and when they felt it was enough, everyone got up.

But Jonathan stopped them, '' Before we leave, I want to say something. As you know, we will begin a partnership with Woodbury, so I want to expand the prison territory. We're gonna start small but I want to go big.''

Rick asked, ''And how are we going to do that?''

Jonathan already had the answer, '' We're gonna ask people around here what they did before the Apocalypse. I'm certain we have some people with knowledge of those things. You can leave the material hunt to me, we just need the people to build houses and such.''

While Jonathan knew Abraham did work in construction, he still hasn't talked to the people from Gabriel's group regarding their profession, so they could have a hidden gem around here.

Rick looked at Gabriel, who nodded. Samantha didn't seem to mind either.

Either way, Rick had to ask, '' Why now?''

Jonathan smiled and looked up ahead, almost as if he could see something beautiful, '' I had some sort of vision and enlightenment. I saw what could happen if we overcome the zombies. We could return to what we were before, we just need someone to start the change.''

'' And what we are going do to is that start?''

Jonathan nodded, '' We, from now on, will start the rebuilt everything. It's time we start to live instead of just surviving... With everyone's help, we can do this!''

Of course, Jonathan had the means to have a life just like before the apocalypse, but right now it was limited to him and his close group. He wanted to use everyone here to make sure that literally every resident of the prison, and maybe more people outside of the prison fence, lived a better life.

'' You can go around and ask. We will not interfere.'' Samantha said that and the others said nothing.

'' Ok, anything else?'' Jonathan asked just to be sure.

Rick immediately said, '' Remember I mentioned that Eugune guy, and we would have to spend some time talking about him?''

Jonathan nodded.

'' Well, the reason is that he said he knows the way to make a cure for the zombie virus but he needs to go to Washington... I know it might sound weird but it's worth checking.'' Rick hesitated to start this subject, but once he did, he said it all.

' So he lied here too... or maybe it might be true?' With all the confusion regarding some of the backstories of everyone around here, Jonathan wasn't so sure anymore if Eugune was lying.

'' Ok, I'll go talk to him, and see if I could make him say something more concrete. Then I'll relay it to you all so we can make a decision on what to do with him... If he is telling the truth, this could be a miracle.''

Gabriel and Rick nodded.

After that, the reunion that would change things around the whole world ended and the quartet said their goodbyes, with Rick and Gabriel going in one direction, while Jonathan and Samanta went together.

 


Jonathan decided to step down as a leader. What will happen now? Stay tuned to find out!

11