Chapter 41. Challenge. Part 2.
229 2 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   Alien-" My name is Jalik, foolish one, come with me and maybe your death will stave off the inevitable."

   The alien, or Jalik motions me ahead of him with his rifle, he obviously doesn't trust me much and won't turn his back.

   I do as he asked, and he guides me through alleys and half destroyed buildings taking the long way to a part of his group, always keeping a great deal of cover between us and the Saiyans. During this trip I realize he can't sense Ki, his power level is not supressed, and I see no scouter on him.

   Ryan-" Hey Jalik, just out of curiosity, how did you find me so fast?"

   Jalik-" The same way the Saiyans found you. Through use of the new invention of scout scopes."

   Ryan-" Do scout scopes detect people through battle power?"

   Jalik-" As far as I know, yes they do. We got our hands on one during the initial assault, which has now reached a stalemate. They attacked with two teams of three, each group consisted of a melee fighter a sniper, and a spotter. Due to luck we took out the two melee fighters and got most of the people evacuated, but we also lost our strongest defenders in the process. Those who remained capable of fighting launched a sneak attack on one of the sniper groups who were shooting at us during the fight. We attacked during the midday sun by diving fromy up high using the glare as cover."

   "We got one of scout scopes and killed the spotter who was using it during that engagement, but the sniper himself was very strong. He was able to hold us off and we suffered heavy casualties until we were forced to retreat when the other sniper team came to his aid."

   Ryan-"I take it this has been a stalemate ever since? 

   Jalik-" Yes it has. We take shots at each other when given the chance, but our rifles are much weaker and we can't supply them with the energy needed to make any of the shots one hit kills like Theirs. They also have two snipers working together with a singular spotter. Making engaging them unprepared dangerous. Now hush, I will introduce you to the others. And our leader."

   Thanks to Jalik I now had a general idea of what was going on. I just can't imagine Saiyans willing to wait the battle out like this. Snipers or not, they are showing a tremendous amount of patience. Unless they are for some reason happy to wait.

   With each alien I near, a small telepathic bridge forms. They all peter out into nothing when I get a short distance away, but the more I pay attention to it the more I find it to not be something the aliens themselves are controlling any more than me. It seems to only appear when I near them, it isn't until I realize that the bridge is being formed only within the range of their aura that it makes sense, I let my ki rise a bit to match everyone else and feel the connections flood in from those still nearby, this is convenient. The universe comes with automatic Ki translaters. Neat.

   Jalik takes me to a small impromptu command base that must have just been setup today. Inside of what look like an abandoned apartment. he goes inside while I wait outside being watched by a large birdman who looks much like a raven.

   Jalik-" Come inside Ryan."

   I enter through the creaky doorway to see their leader, a female birdman, or whatever these people are. She doesn't look much different than the men to me.

   Jalik-" This is the towns acting leadership, Head Hen, Goldcrest. Ma'am this is the foreigner who wants to help."

   Goldcrest-" And why do you wish to aid us? What can you do that will change things featherless one? Why not leave? This is not your home."

   Ryan-" Running away never crossed my mind Ma'am. Besides, I hear that you have a little problem of not having any heavy hitters or the ability to lay the fire down needed to take these snipers out. But for some reason they are waiting, if it wasn't for that, they could very well break through your lines."

   Goldcrest-" We have too many people ready to fight. They would die if they did so."

   Ryan-" Doubtful, you only have 8 combatants left, including yourself. If you all grouped up, you could take out one, maybe two if you got real lucky, but all three? Not a chance. And they could bomb the town, but likely don't do so because they believe you still have stronger warriors in hiding which you don't. You have gotten lucky they haven't called byour bluff.

   Goldcrest- "So you can sense Ki. I thought I was hallucinating or you were hit and injured when I felt your power plummet, until earlier when it rose to match those around you. You must be very skilled to be able to that. I take it you want to fight the Saiyans and challenge yourself? Are you strong enough to do that?"

   Ryan-" I'm glad you can sense Ki, that'll be a great advantage. Also If my suspicions are correct we don't have a choice, holding this place is impossible."

   Goldcrest-" Reinforcements will arrive in a few days, we can hold out till then."

   Ryan-" Does this planet have a moon?if so when is the next full moon?"

   Goldcrest-" Yes, we have a moon.  tonight will be it's yearly full moon. It was supposed to be a celebration. Obviously it has turned into disaster. how could you make it here and not know if we had a moon?"

   Ryan-" I guess I wasn't paying attention. But this explains why the Saiyans are waiting. During a full moon Saiyans can use a transformation that grows them into a massive form called a great ape.  

   In this form their power grows to be 10 times what it is now, and they will go on a rampage killing and destroying everything they see, perhaps even each other after they are finished with us."

   I have never seen a bird go pale in fright before, but I suppose spontaneous shedding of feathers is their equivalent.

   Goldcrest-" We are being toyed with and made a fool by those ruthless beasts! Jalik! Summon everyone, we need to plan an attack immediately, we must kill them before the moon rises! Go get everyone quickly!"

   As soon as Jalik leaves the room Goldcrest crumbles in her seat as if she is under far too much pressure 

   Goldcrest-" Don't look at me like that foreigner, I'm doing the best I can, I'm no matriarch. I'm just a simple reservist. This is too much for me to handle. Please, please, help us."

   She looks up at me with tears in her eyes desperate for help.

   Ryan-" Calm down, this is no time to panic, how long until the moon rises? And what information do you have on these Saiyans?"

   Goldcrest-" The moon rises at exactly midnight, so that give us about eight hours. We have their battle power readings and have their image. We named them according to their strength. Here, let me show you."

   Goldcrest pulls out a small folder and hands it to me while I have a seat across from her. when I look at the files it's in a language I cannot read, but I have a solution for that.

   Ryan-" Do you mind if I use a technique to quickly learn your language?"

   Goldcrest-" Do what you will, it bothers me none."

   Ryan-" Don't say I didn't ask."

   I slip inside her mind gently as possible and learn her language in an instant. Unlike how I razed the phony Magician for his knowledge, this time I was far more gentle and knew what I was looking for and how to get it safely.

   Goldcrest-" Ooww you pidgeonhead that hurt, why didn't you warn me?"

   Ryan-" Would you have let me learn your language like that if I had warned you?

   Goldcrest -" If I knew I would be able to taste the color blue afterwards? hell no."

   Ryan-" Now you know why. And you'll be fine, just get a glass of water and it'll pass after a moment."

   The first file is of a male melee attacker who is dead, the second is of a women. I skip those and the one about the spotter and his death, focusing on the one who got away from the ambush. He was named Alpha because he is the strongest, his battle power is 2,912 which they got later by using the scout scope.

   Alpha didn't make it out unscathed. He is honestly probably dead weight. He is wounded with various gashes and bruises, his armor was even destroyed. He is currently acting as the spotter for the other two now because of his right arm. It was broken badly and his right foot is mangled beyond recognition which is said to be nothing but a bleeding stump now.

   He continued to fight against a dozen of Jaliks people with power levels ranging from the 700 I have felt since my arrival to the estimated 1.5k their top warriors came in at. Even after all of the injuries he suffered the Saiyan fought and successfully defended himself until aid came to him. He is a large burly man who looks like Nappa, but instead of being bald, he has long hair that grows in a style reminiscent of a 70's rock band member.

   The next on the list is the other sniper team. This one is comprised of two women both on the older side, who both have hair much like Gine. From their pictures they look like sisters. The two have been named Charlie, and Delta. Both have their battle powers listed at 2.2k each. Their power is near identical, which gives more credence to them being sisters and explains their excellent teamwork.

   These two caused the most casualties in the retreat. They killed the last warriors of jaliks people who bought time for the remaining unit to escape. They became especially deadly when the one who was acting as a spotter, now dubbed as Delta used the man's sniper rifle herself in coordination with her sister to catch the quick flying warriors in their crossfire.

   Ryan-" This is going to be a tough fight. Do you have anyone capable of energy based skills without the use of a Ki blaster?"

   Goldcrest-" Aside from myself? No, unfortunately not, I'm the only one left who was even part of the local militia, everyone else are just strong civilians who could be of help, they can supply the energy needed to fire the energy rifle well enough to keep the Saiyan's in a stalemate until we received help. Or atleast, that was the plan. I'm sure you can sense the others will be of no use in this fight, we need to protect them."

   She isn't kidding either, the others in the bunker have power levels in the 200's or lower these people are naturally strong compared to humans, but not naturally talented in Ki manipulation. This makes them almost entirely dependant on weapons to fire Ki with.

   Ryan-" What can you do?"

   Goldcrest-" I'm a sensor, I was trained for scout operations high in the sky away from the fighting. I would normally report in locations of enemies from above in relative safety from the actual fight, I can fly well, and sense well, that's about It."

   Ryan-" Hmm, none of your people are strong enough to survive an engagement with these soldiers, I could almost certainly take out one if I got the jump on them, but if I failed I would have to retreat, I do have a trump card, but I don't want to use it if I can avoid it."

   Sfx: knock, knock , knock.

   Goldcrest-" Come in."

   Jalik-" Everyone will be assembled In 20 minutes Ma'am."

   Goldcrest-" Very well I'll see you all out there then, ensure everyone gets some food Jalik they need to eat and keep their strength up."

   Jalik-" Yes Ma'am."

   Goldcrest-" Can you save us?"

   Ryan-"No, I cannot, but I can help you save yourselves. Tell me, do your people use magic at all?"

   

   ----Three hours later----

   

   Jalik-" That's the last one. Do you think we'll be safe? "

   Ryan-" Goldcrest can sense Ki, she can lead the diggers who are using the magic I drew on them, she can lead them while you all stay underground and safe. They just need to hide their tracks and ensure they get fresh air, and carve safe tunnels."

   I had spent the my time painting some magic runes I leaned from the phony magician on the people in the bunkers. Mainly an earth manipulation spell. Plus some for water, and a sleep spell to calm the children.

   I had Goldcrest agree to retreat when I showed her my plan. Her people are no strangers to magic, but being able to draw a spell on them was a godsend. They are currently begining to carve themselves a path to evacuate. Straight out of the bunkers. With the Saiyans above ground sneaking underground was just too easy.

   Goldcrest-" Are you sure you want to fight them alone? Won't they detect that everyone left sooner or later?"

   Ryan-" The people need you and the others are not fighters, they are defenders. Let them protect the people they care about."

   Goldcrest-" Thank you very much, Is there anything you need before we leave?"

   Ryan-" Where are the bodies of the two melee attackers at? I have a few ideas, for some psychological warfare."

   Goldcrest-" Their bodies are still in the main street, I'm not sure of the condition. What do you want to do with the bodies?"

   Ryan-" I can shapeshift, I'll disguise myself as one of the melee attackers and try to draw them out of hiding by somehow being alive. With one injured Saiyan that only leaves one to cover for whoever comes to get me. Either way, I'll have a chance to take out one of the women by surprise at the very least. Depends on how things go. Now you should go. It won't be long before the Saiyans realize the place is empty."

   Goldcrest-" I wish you luck Great Sage, thank you for coming to our aid."

  As she leaves down a newly carved tunnel, closing the tunnel behind her as she does, I exit the bunker and make my way through the broken buildings, tracing the wreckage of the fight down main street. The first Saiyan body i find is burnt, and unrecognizable, while the second is in good condition but there is a slight problem.

  Ryan-" This is for strategy, not Pervy desires, you hear me Kami."

   

10