Chapter 52. Hubris.
212 10 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   It's been weeks since I started running trials on my magic lasers and I'm beyond frustrated. I have tried chemical reactions, various gain mediums, infrared light from carbon, and even tried using some of Bulma's mirrors instead of my quicksilver, just in case I messed up, yet nothing has worked well enough for combat applications leaving me nothing else to try. So instead I thought of a different route to a similar end that's far more risky.

There was something intriguing that I learned about while helping Bulma dissect Goku's Saiyan pod, which for me amounted to lifting heavy things. It was then that she found a fusible material that doesn't release harmful radiation. But that doesn't mean it's all that safe. Protonium-11 is the fuel used, and Bulma pretty much forced me to learn to make it until she could synthesize it herself with the help of the advanced tech in the tablet. However today, I'll be weaponizing it.

Ryan-" Hey Goku, I'm heading out again to try some experiments. I'll be back in a few hours.”

I grab a pair of heavy duty goggles I used for eye protection when using Bulma's lasers, throwing them into my hammerspace as Goku comes out of the bathroom drying himself off while shamelessly naked, dripping water all over the tile floor without a care.

Goku-" Okay, I'll be around practicing. Just don't be late, you promised we could have that sushi of Kashi's you have been saving."

Ryan-" Yes, yes I know. How could I ever forget, when you and your stomach remind me so often."

Giving Goku a nod I take off, flying until the compound is all but a smudge of color in the distance. In this flat, never-ending room, the lack of any curvature can fool the senses. I know from experience that I'm deceptively far away.

Upon landing, the room voiced its displeasure by throwing some powerful winds my way which forced me to use my telekinesis to get some peace and a stable environment for testing.

I came out this far for safety. I couldn't risk Goku being around either. Double checking his location I feel him far away back towards the compound.

I had held off on this so far for the same reason I never attempted to heat or compress any exotic material to an extreme degree. I am fearful of what may happen. Radiation, free electrons, ionized particles, and more are all risks that may occur with what I have in mind. I'm not sure if my quicksilver and/or Ki will protect me, or how safe this material really is, but I do have a senzu, it'll have to be enough.

Before attempting this dangerous idea I created a small mock town, complete with concrete buildings, steel cars, storefronts and ice dummies to represent people strewn throughout.

Then I begin creating, and compressing Protoniun-11 fuel into dense clouds that move to my will. While Goku's pod only had a few micrograms of the stuff, and a fuoe tank that only held a few ounces, I'm not starting so conservative I doubt I can get a proper reaction my first attempt. I begin forming a pound of the material in a gaseous state mixed with other component gasses. Then I add heat to the cloud as I go, the expansion of the gasses adds more pressure to the ever-shrinking volume. There comes a point where I can't focus on both aspects much longer.

The faint hazy cloud above me feels the full brunt of my magic when I increase its heat and squeeze it with my mind. The once large cloud falls closer to me as it continues to heat and compress until it stops before me, a mere fraction of the size it started and far hotter.

I continue my plan by enveloping the gas cloud with all of the quicksilver I can spare, allowing me to pass the burden of holding it compressed onto my quicksilver instead of my mind.

With the first part complete, I transform smoothly into my most capable form growing my tail and relishing in the increased strength. I begin the next part, by pushing all of my magical might towards the gas, heating it to a level far above what I was able to induce in the magic resistant Kachin ore.

I then compress the excited gasses down even further with my Quicksilver. The compression itself, creates heat that I take advantage of by allowing my magic to enhance and push the effect even further. The once large cloud is now the size of a basketball coated in quicksilver. I have regained most of it as it shrunk, and I continue heating it, focusing on what my air magic is telling me, feeling how the gas suddenly changes...

The feeling of a new state of matter I have no experience with comes into creation. It's not a liquid, solid, or gas. My mind feels the whiplash as it tries to wrench free from my control. The next moment, an enormous torrent of energy and heat far above what I can create is pounding on the quicksilver prison seeking release. I'm forced to quickly adapt by changing the shape, so that it's wider at the edges, and thinner in the center.

I coax the maelstrom of energy into a revolving pattern that flows around, the outside edge inside of my construct. I can feel it twisting and turning, the reaction seeking balance that I slowly aid, to make it sustained.

I breathe out a large sigh of relief once balance is achieved. Grateful that it didn't blow up in my face. It takes quite a bit of conscious effort to keep it that way though, and the enormous amount of heat will soon overcome its prison which I can see is already glowing.

With nothing to lose, I fly up far above my mock town. first equipping my goggles before I open up my magic-made fusion engine.

Following my command, the Quicksilver parts ways, opening up a funnel in the direction of the mock town below. A bright blueish-white light arcs out first, burning all it illuminates. I watch steel begin to glow and ice turn into vapor. It is quickly followed by a physical wall of heat and electricity, blossoming into a beautiful symphony of plasma, that destroys all in its path. Intense electrical discharges strike everything nearby. The plasma doesn't explode, as I expected, but rather crashes upon my mock town, like a tidal wave of power, rolling over and incinerating all it touches. The attack sucks in the air around me as it consumes the very air.

Then it explodes as it expands suddenly, tossing me back violently.

The next thing I know, I'm falling to the ground somehow much, much further away from the mock town. I land like sack of potatoes. My transformation reverting with no regard to my desires. I watch my attacks' lingering effects with wide-eyed amazement while gasping for air, so weak I am unable to move.

Nothing is left aside from a dying blue inferno and a decaying electrical storm in the sky that feeds those same flames. The air around me hums with the power reverberating in the air.

Ryan-" Overkill." I muttered in disbelief. Before passing out with a smile on my face."

-----

Goku-" Ryan!, Ryan! Wake-up!"

Huh? What's going on? Why am I so groggy? Why can't I feel my body or see anything? What happened again? Whatever, I'm too tired and cold. I just want to go back to sleep. But what's that dull pain? And that feeling of wetness?

Goku-" No, no, no...stop bleeding, please, you need to stop bleeding!" Where are those damn beans at!

Is that Goku? Why is he panicking so much for? Who is bleeding? Whatever... if it's serious I'll figure it out when I get up. I need more sleep.

Goku-" Ryan, you better wake up, and give me those beans right now!"

God he can be annoying, I'll just give him the beans so he shuts up. It's difficult reaching into my hammerspace when I'm so tired and cold, but I manage, dropping them where his voice is coming from.

Goku-" Yes! now eat!"

He wants me to eat the bean? Why? Ohh…I see now… I'm dieing.

That peculiar, inviting coldness. I remember it so clearly now."

Goku-" You have to chew and swallow Ryan! Please... Please, listen to me."

Ryan- "Ohh man, he sounds like he's crying now. This isn't how a bromance is suppose to go."

Goku-" You better eat that bean or Auntie Baba is going to twist your ear off in the afterlife Ryan. You know death won't save you from her. And then you'll have to get wished back and don't even get me started on Kashi, and Bulma."

Ryan-" A shiver runs down my spine at the thought of those three women and the harassment I'll have to deal with. What if I missed the wedding? Mustering up my fear of them, I manage to swallow the bean whole. Only to feel it get lodged in my throat, slowly but eventually making its way down... I could really use a drink right about now."

----P.O.V swap- Goku.---- (After Ryan leaves the compound.)

I watched Ryan fly off for more of his tests and experiments. I feel bad, almost all of his tests end in failure, but I'm sure he can figure it out, he made this amazing staff afterall.

SWISH, SWOOSH, SWIPE,

It doesn't extend like the old one, but it packs a wallop, and is great to train with IF I was training with Ryan that is.

However, he is often reading or training his magic, leaving me alone without a sparring partner more often than not, and that is so boring! There isn't even any fishing to do here.

I look towards the shrinking form of Ryan in the distance, and decide that I'd rather follow him than practice alone for another day. Maybe I can convince him to spar once his experiment fails again?

I create a ball of Ki matching my current Ki level leaving it floating midair, and then drop my power level to nothing, forcing me to abandon my new staff if I want to move with any real speed.

Without any cover I can only rely on not being seen or sensed, but that's not an issue. It's not like Ryan explicitly told me to stay away, and this works as great training. Maybe I can get a scare out of him.

The idea of watching him jump in fright sounds far more fun than swinging that pole around. So I take off, running all out, it'll take me a while to get there, but Ryan has to set up his tests anyway.

I come to a stop when Ryan lands and starts to create his test ice wall, steel constructs, stone buildings, everything like normal, but they are arranged differently this time, it looks like he made an entire fake town. But why is he making so much? My curiosity gets the better of me so I move in closer, I'm still many miles away from Ryan, he shouldn't notice me with how consumed by his magic he is.

After he made his mock town, he stands on the ground looking up into the air as if he is in a daze, but I recognize that look, he is doing something with the air that I can't see. To be safe I back away, his air magic isn't fair at all. It's usually invisible and sometimes I can't even smell the danger.

Shortly after I back away, I watch a light bluish cloud manifest and shrink above Ryans head, whatever magic he is doing today is totally different than the last time I watched him.

His quicksilver launches out from his hands, wrapping around the gas, and then it, too, begins to shrink. Looking towards Ryan I can feel his Ki swell before he transforms.

His transformation is so awesome! The power of his ripples out and I suddenly wish to spar again, but I push those instincts down. I can't nag him all the time, that's not what good brothers do.

He floats high into the sky. I can tell he is preparing his attack, so I back off again, not wanting to get caught up in it, with my power repressed.

While my back is turned I suddenly see my shadow cast along the floor, and for miles ahead its distinct outline is clearly visible. Then heat engulfs my being, I can feel my clothes burn off of me faster than I can draw on my Ki, the pain of burned skin, is followed by a deep reverberating sound. The air around me suddenly pulls me back like the tide of the ocean before blasting me forwards skipping across the smooth floor like a pebble on a lake. As I come to a stop, I turn back only to squint at the bright lights. smoke from my burnt hair irritates my eyes. The remnants of my gi fall off of me like dry leaves, the lightest touch making my clothes crumble into dust.

As the sound and light dies down, I catch sight of Ryan, far above me and much closer to the explosion. He is on fire rocketing through the air, like a meteor.

Goku-" Ryan!!!!"

4