CH79 Aqua the Nereid
304 2 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Alex coughed, she was put on the back foot from Aqua’s words. “It looks like demons have a lot of reasons to dislike magical girls. But maybe we could clean up and get some tea?  You two look very dirty.  There is a shower in the carriage if you’d like to use it.”

 

Aqua shook her head.  “We can do that later, want to come back to our grotto? Most of it is underwater but there are places out of the elements.  Merumeru came and got me and our plan was to pack up on the boat and take you there to discuss things further.”

 

“Okay, let's get packed up and we can set out.” Alex gathered the things  they had taken out of the carriage and placed them back inside.  She secured the panels on the sides to close it up for transport.

 

Fufi attempted to climb the two rungs of the latter to get in the back of the carriage but got caught on the lip and fell down.  “Ouch, that really hurt.”

 

Alex helped the flamingo out of the flopped over wooden suit.  “Sorry, I guess my clockwork suit crafting has a long way to go.”  Alex inspected the flamingo’s leg.  “It looks like the way the pulleys work doesn't help with mitigating fall damage or probably impact damage.  I didn’t think things through.  The springs pull in response to force being put on them so now the problem is that it doesn’t matter where the force comes from.”  Alex furrowed her brows. “While the range of motion isn’t outside, what you can do looks like we discovered that a jarring impact can hurt the limb inside. Making toys is way different than making suits.  I’ve got a lot to learn”

 

“It works well enough. Familiars shouldn’t be in the line of fire.  We don’t even have classes.” Fufi popped out of the suit and flew up into the air. “I’m sure your next attempt will be better.  Though you are right in that using a toy maker skill to create something that isn’t really a toy will generally not work quite right.”

 

Alex nodded and put the suit in the compartment with the dolls and plushies.  She placed the last panel back in place and turned the carriage back into card form. On the boat, she pulled the line from where it was tethered and hopped aboard. “Allright, lead the way.”

“Hmm, do you want to use your little contraption and we can just pull this little boat Merumeru?” Aqua asked the overall-wearing slime girl.

 

“Meru!” Merumeru agreed and pulled a card out of her pocket.  She threw it into the mucky water and it transformed into a mini submarine.  The blue skinned girl hopped into the cockpit.

 

Aqua grabbed the line and tied it to the back of the mini submarine.  She wound up the key on the sub and plopped down on top of it.  The boat jerked when the rope went tight and the two vessels sped off into the bog.

 

Alex was a little worried that the boat would flip or get caught on something hidden beneath the muddy water.  But for some odd reason the water gave them no problems at all.  They made an even better pace than sailing downstream on the smooth river.  It was a lot easier going than before.

 

Some time passed and they came to a rocky outcropping sticking out of the swamp.  Oddly, there were some of those weird sunflowers growing from patches of dirt that had big smiley faces on them.  Like back in the town, suspect plants were popping up here too.  They took the tiny submarine and boat into an opening in the rock and headed into the mound.  The inside opened up quite a bit.  Unlike a cave the grotto area got a fair amount of light.  An outcropping of stone made for a good docking point.  The caravan of water fairing vessels made a stop there.  

 

Merumeru plopped her cockpit open and hopped out.  She jumped onto the rocks and summoned her submarine back into card form.  The line fell limp into the water.  

 

When the sub vanished, Aqua splashed into the water and just smirked, only her head stuck up out of the water.  The rest of the nereid’s body couldn’t be seen beneath the dim water.  It likely was a whole lot deeper in this spot.

 

Alex followed her example and tied off the boat to a very conveniently shaped rock.  “Wow, the water is a lot clearer here.  Less mud and more liquid? Is there a sinkhole or something in this spot?” The magical girl looked around and inspected the area.  Alex saw some basic accommodations but nothing fancy.  “You don’t get many visitors?”

 

Aqua pulled herself out of the water and wrung out her blue hair. “Yes, most of the water nymphs that stay here live underwater.  The freshwater can dissolve limestone and leave voids hundreds of feet down. It is a great spot to set up a base.  As for visitors we mostly only get the water breathing kind.  My cousins come here and we exchange information after spying on the ports. There is an area for captives above ground but we don’t use it often. Though there is that old gnome that has been doing all sorts of questionable experiments in the back.”  Aqua shrugged.  “We captured him and after breaking the mind control on him he wanted to find a way to get back at what the demons made him do.”

 

Alex dusted off a rock and after confirming it was clean sat down. “So your gnome captive, er guest does he know a lot about the workings of the Yvne barony?”

 

“Maybe a little bit,” the Nereid considered. “We picked him up at the capitol.  He used to be one of the important people in the royal mage tower.  Years back we sunk a ship that was rumored to have someone important on it and it was this guy. He combined his system given skills and demonic rituals to create the bird flu.  After his enthrallment broke, he decided it was his life’s work to get back at the demons for what they made him do.  So he’s been doing sketchy research ever since.” 

 

“First things first,” Fufi stepped in. “Lets make some tea and set up for dinner.  Is there a good spot to park the carriage?”

 

Aqua looked around and pointed to a decently lit area that was flat and covered in moss.  “Will that work?”

 

Alex nodded to the pair and tossed the card out in the indicated location.  It poofed back into existence.  “I’ll get set up.  I’m guessing our carriage will be where we are staying for the night?”

 

“Oh there are some places with alcoves carved out.  But everything is damp so if you don’t like moist places then that might be your best bet.” Aqua looked impressed by the intricate carriage. “This is a swamp so everything is going to be humid and the moisture clings relentlessly.”

 

Alex got to setting up the carriage.  It didn’t take long. All she really needed to do was pull some panels and reconfigure a couple things to have a small area set up for tea. “I’ll make some tea for everyone.”  Alex poured some hot water into a steeping pot and added some loose tea leaves while Fufi used her beak to set out four cups on the table.  Alex pulled out four foldable wooden stools and placed them along the table. “Have a seat Aqua. It should be read in a couple of minutes.”

 

Everyone sat down and they started enjoying their tea.

 

“Ruru me me meme ru ru,” Merumeru looked at Aqua with a questioning look on her face.

 

“You want to build a pipe here to go back to the farm in the forest?” Aqua appeared baffled by the slime girl’s question.

 

“That would be a seriously long pipe. I know you are good at plumbing but that would take years to do with this world’s technology level.” Alex gave Merumeru a cross look.  She seemed to be living with her head in the clouds sometimes. The magical girl remembered the grouping of big pipes that ended in dead ins back at Bob and Martha’s farm.  Were they not just a form of modern art?

 

“Meru Meru meee.” Merumeru sounded a bit annoyed.

 

“Oh that is a neat trick.  What class gives that skill?” Aqua asked the slime girl.

 

“Ru ru Meee.” Merumeru said.

 

“You got it from leveling up plumber?” Aqua paused. “That is really interesting, usually stuff like that requires the help of some kind of magic user.”  The nereid looked from Merumeru then Alex and considered.  “Hmm, perhaps that might explain why you get such fantastical skills.”

 

Aqua translated for Fufi and Alex. “She said that she just needs to match it to another pipe exactly the same in another location.  If she builds them the same then anyone wearing the right outfit can go through them and go out the other side.”  Aqua patted Merumeru on the head. “And congratulations on reaching level three. Most people don’t get to level 2 within a year of getting their class.  You are doing very well.”

 

Alex blinked in disbelief.  Merumeru was level three?!  A little girl less than a year old had leveled up faster than her.  She wasn’t sure how to feel about that.  Should Alex be proud that Merumeru was a prodigy or shameful that a toddler could level up faster than someone on a quest to defeat the demon queen.  

 

Seeing the weird face Alex made, Fufi spoke. “Congratulations Merumeru. You are the best plumber!” 

 

“Meru!” Merumeru brightened at Fufi’s praise.

 

Alex came back to reality. “Good job Merumeru. Your pipes are the best pipes.” Alex smiled weakly.

 

“Maybe build the pipe in an empty room?  I would say building it deep under water would be the safest place but that might be a little bit too limiting.” Aqua pointed towards a darker part of the grotto that led to a cave. “Mister Copperpot has his lab back there too.  If you want to talk to him later I’m sure you can, though he does some rather dangerous research so don’t expect to be let inside.”

 

“What kind of research is this gnome doing?” Alex was happy at the change in subject.

 

“Like I said, he feels really guilty for his part in making bird flu.  It only affects humans so he’s trying to make a similar disease that only affects demons.  Sometimes we capture imps and bring them back here for test subjects.” Aqua stated casually.

 

“That is rather scary.” Alex shuddered.

 

“It is up to you.  He is an odd duck but gnomes are very long lived and he’s seen a lot.” Aqua again gestured back to the grotto.

 

“Well, what about the local barony? What are things like there?” Alex asked.

 

“It is very poor. Most people don’t have enough to eat.  The Lady Yvne is an agricultural type of ruler.  Farmers and ranchers that are her citizens get a bonus for working the lands.  That is the only thing that is keeping it from collapsing.  The majority of the area is wastelands.  There is just one town on the river and the rest is empty.  She has a manor where they train maids.  For whatever reason, maids are the main export of the barony.  A lot of people that are struggling ask for work in her manor.” Aqua waved a hand.

 

“So if we want to sneak in and spy on them, how would we do that?” Alex sipped some tea.

 

“Well, I’m sure you know that Flamingos are banned.  That is a kingdom-wide thing not a barony thing.  There are demonic rituals in all the capitals that the demons control.  It is how they have kept magical girls from popping up. They are not allowed to attack them because of the accords but the work around is to just keep them from finding any human that might make a good partner from a contract.” Aqua talked a bit then took a sip of her tea.

 

“I don’t really want to leave Fufi behind.  But I will if we have to.” Alex frowned.

 

“No way, I’m not going to abandon you.  We are partners.” Fufi stomped a webbed foot.

 

“I guess we could try?  We made that suit for you.  Perhaps the demon's magic won’t work if you are inside it?  I know it is a long shot but it is worth a try.” Alex put a hand on her chin.

 

“I believe in you Alex, the power of love will keep any evil forces from driving us apart.”  Fufi proclaimed with conviction.

 

Alex cringed.  Why did Fufi have to be so weird sometimes? “Anyway, should we just head there from the road?  How are we going to fit in with the locals?”

 

“Most everyone that doesn’t work for the lady is dressed in second hand clothes.  So if you really want to fit in, that flashy seafarer outfit is going to attract way too much attention.  And you are way too clean. I think people wash themselves by the river once a week.” Aqua squinted at Alex.

 

“Absolutely not, a magical girl must always be cute.  It is the most important thing.” Fufu fumed at Aqua.

 

“Maybe try to be a traveling merchant?  They come sometimes but the roads are not safe.  Demons tend to have the policy that if they can take something it is theirs.  So the only people that travel are those that are servants to strong demons or people that don’t have anything worth taking. Just don’t say you are a magical girl.  All the demons are weary that another Cosmos would pop up despite their best efforts to keep that from happening.” Aqua set her finished cup of tea down.

 

“Maybe I could be a tailor then?  Or perhaps I could say I’m a toymaker?  Fufi can pretend to be a doll.” Alex pondered.

 

“You could wear your corset and dress.  That one is still cute but not as flamboyant as what you are wearing now.” Fufi encouraged Alex’s plan.

 

“Have you ever met magical girl Cosmos Fufi?  Is she on the moon?” Alex asked.  “What was she like?”

 

“Yes, though it was a while ago.  I remember her being sad.  She really wanted to do something for her home but Luna always reminded her that she only could do that if someone broke their end of the accords. So she just worked in the escalation department solving problems with magical girls from other worlds or places that are very isolated.  There are some magical girls on Terre that are hidden away trying to do what they can to make a difference.  Luna’s relations department supports their families so that nothing bad happens while they are away because it would be bad if someone was worried about what was going on back home while they were doing important magical girl work.” Fufi waved a wing.

 

“You really think Cosmos took my cabin and brought it to another planet?  I can’t fathom how that is even possible.”  Alex shook her head.

 

Merumeru glared at Alex. “Meru!”

 

Fufi looked to Merumeru then Alex.  “Oh she can.  She is the highest leveled magical girl that I know of.  The demons are right to be afraid of her.  They are not being of this plane of existence and someone with spacial magic can do things like banish extraplanar entities.” Fufi sounded serious.

 

“I feel second rate now.  If Cosmos and Luna hasn’t signed the accords then Catalina wouldn’t have needed to summon a hero and none of this would have happened.” Alex grumbled.

 

“I know it is complicated.  But if Cosmos had free reign then someone from team evil as powerful as her would come to challenge her.  What Luna has to watch out for above all things is not escalating the power level of the conflict so much that massive collateral damage happens. Yes, the demons were sneaky and kept Luna from raising more magical girls to fight the demon queen and her army but the other options are worse.” Fufi didn’t like giving bad news.

12