CH81 Setting off.
257 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“This is getting a bit much for me.  You two are doing biological weapons research?” Alex looked at the gnome and the Nereid.

 

“Pardon?” Aqua squinted at Alex. “What is a biological weapon?”

 

“You know, living things that is what biology is.” Alex nervously glanced towards the door. “What do you call that here?”

“Hmm, someone who mostly influences living things is a life magic user.” Fufi walked up to Alex’s side. “Though there are several classes that touch that sphere of magic. Like Hester said he started out being a healer.  Is it right that your research was the reason you joined up with a human nation and left a gnomish one?”  The flamingo turned her beak to the gnome.

 

“Yes, I wasn’t very popular with my own people.” Professor Copperpot lowered his head. “Though throwing my lot in with humans didn’t turn out well either.”

 

“Wouldn’t it be better to atone by returning those that transformed to their original state?  If you made the bird flu, could you make a cure?” Alex eyed the disturbing gnome and his research.

 

“It is the character sheet. When the race changes the system sees that as their race.” The gnome awkwardly put his hand behind his head. “A cure disease spell or potion of sufficient quality can remove the disease.  But a disease is an affliction, similar to a curse if you will. That is what makes bird flu so effective.  One’s body can fight it off, or the disease can run its course and end. But unlike a cursed object or a polymorph spell it doesn’t revert for the simple sake that the system recognizes the changed form as the normal form.” Hester tried to choose his words carefully and not too technical.

 

Alex let her displeasure be known. “I’ll have you know that I came down with a bad case of bird flu a couple months ago.  I was able to go back to being a human after transforming into a harpy just fine.” 

 

“And did you turn back into yourself on your own or did you have some help?” Hester fired back.

 

“Well, there was this incident in a hot spring and a corrupted purification ritual.  I didn’t turn back into myself before the infection but I’m at least the same race.” Alex didn’t sound so confident.

 

“Do you see the point now?”The gnome raised his chin.  ”Even if we made a strain that turns harpies into humans it has its own problems.  Not only is it harder without the demonic cultivators magic but there isn’t a way to differentiate native harpies from the ones that are transformed.  Also, bird flu changes the gender of the males it infects.  So even if something like that could be made it would create a bunch of human women.  The right way to do it is divine magic like those of the clergy of purity used to wield but they are long gone from this world.”

 

Alex winced at the mention of Catalina’s followers. “It was those same remnants that tried to turn me into a twin of them.  I don’t have a high opinion of their faith.” 

“Oh, what juicy gossip.” Aqua clapped her hands together. “I thought all of the human followers had passed on by now.  Catalina’s faith was heavily human back when it was in its prime.  After the fiasco with the hero and the goddess forsaking Terre, the faith faded into legend.” She paused. “Or so I thought.  If there is an active temple somewhere that would be some big news.”

 

Glad for the change in subject, Alex turned to Aqua. “It is far to the north in ice covered mountains.  There is not much there, if not for being able to scout from air it would have been really easy to journey past.  We had a map from the dungeon but it wasn’t exactly full of landmarks.”

 

“Oh that is some good gossip I should share with my cousins.” Aqua nodded rapidly.

 

“Ki already knew.  I’m surprised word hasn’t spread.” Alex puzzled.

 

“Well the last time I saw the nymphs was when I went to the farm for the class ceremony. It must have been a recent development.” Aqua shrugged.

 

“That was more than a month ago if it was when I was there.” Alex tilted her head slightly. Nereids sure had an odd sense of time.

 

“I was expecting this meeting to be somewhat cathartic for you.” Aqua deflated. “I guess I should have looked a bit closer. Usually the nymphs will come here and ask us what is going on.  The ones with treestride are a lot quicker travelers.”

 

“I guess information would travel slowly in a world without technology, I just thought that with magic it would at least beat our arrival.” Alex said.

 

“Yeah, we knew about when to expect you, but generally my cousins that keep really up to date on things are really shy.  They don’t like people seeing them.  Which for someone that wants to find out secrets from demons is actually a really good trait.” Aqua waved a blue arm. “I mostly spend my time capturing imps and helping Professor Copperpot with research.  Luna gave me a class that complements his.”

 

“Anyway, I’d rather we didn’t take part in bioweapons maybe we should leave Professor Copperpot to his research and find a good way to try to sneak into the barony south of here?” Alex took a step out the door, followed by Merumeru and Fufi.

 

Aqua followed as well.  

 

The gnomish bioweapons engineer didn’t follow.  He gave a weak wave at the door, but traveling past the door outside his lab caused him to give up and give a weak goodbye.

Merumeru hopped to the lead and picked a random door. “Merumeru me me?”

 

“Oh sure that should be fine. You can put a pipe behind that door.  I don’t think there is anything in there but junk.” Aqua took out a key and opened the door that led into a dark room.

 

“Ruuuu!” Merumeru brightly replied and rushed into the dark room.

 

“Does anyone have a light? I can’t see through the darkness.” Alex complained.

 

Fufi’s forehead gem lit up. “How’s this?”

 

“Thanks, I wonder what is in here?” Alex inspected the area behind the door.  It mostly looked like rotted and rusted rubbish.  “I should clean this up before you get too dirty Merumeru.”  Wielding the feather duster, Alex started dusting and dirty things vanished into mist.  Rusty things became clean.  For example, a large rusted anchor and a thick piece of iron chain went from falling apart to as good as the day they were made.

 

“You know, that stuff was all salvage from sunken ships or equipment from unwelcome intruders into the swamp.  Maybe ask first before evaporating it next time.  Also, you don’t see in the dark too well.  You know that 90% of the ocean is pitch black right?  How are you going to make your way in underwater society like that?” Aqua chuckled.

 

“I think I’m good.  I don’t know much about diving so exploring the depths of the ocean can be for someone that won’t drown so easily.” Alex gave the Nereid a sharp look.

 

Aqua didn’t get the hint. “There are magic items that can help with that.  Why the other day I heard someone got a belt that can turn the people who wear it into a mermaid.” 

 

Merumeru, inspected the rocks, picking out bits that she could use to match her exacting qualifications to make a pipe.  She didn’t seem to be bothered by the whirlwind of stuff that happened.

 

Alex thought it must be nice that the slime girl was so unflappable. “Do you have everything you need Merumeru?”

 

Merumeru nodded. “Ruuuu”

 

“Yes, you can take some of this stuff away.  The iron stuff we don’t really like. Many of the shipwreck stuff other nereids tossed here in case Hester might be able to use it for his experiments.” Aqua said, answering Merumeru and explaining what the slime girl asked at the same time.

Alex wasn’t sure what Merumeru would want with an anchor and a bit or chain or some of the other odds and ends that were scattered about. But she never really understood the slime girl.  Merumeru always found a way to get herself into some odd situation one way or another.  “That reminds me Merumeru, I should try to show you how to do other kinds of pipes.  You are level 3 now.  Is that high enough to need to branch out with new things to keep leveling up?”

 

Fufi nodded, her glowing gem shining a light up and down the wall.  It was a little disconcerting. “Yeah, crafting classes plateau quickly if they keep doing the same or similar things.  Merumeru doesn’t have a master plumber to apprentice under so getting over level 3 is going to be rough for her without someone to teach her.”

 

“Is it the same for magical girls?” Alex asked.

 

“Yes, any class, forging a new trail is always more work than following an already made one.” Fufi sounded a bit awkward.

 

“Do you think Cosmos could help train other magical girls?” Alex saw a ray of hope.

 

“She’d be the best teacher though she’s temperamental. But there is a problem with that.” Fufi trailed off at the end.

 

“What’s the problem?” Alex pried.

 

“Well, the accords.” The flamingo paused.  “If she took an apprentice on this planet that would be a violation of the accords.  It is also the reason no one apprentices to her.  If they did then they could never take a quest on Terre. Sakura might have been a good teacher for you but that didn’t pan out. The local selection of trainers for magical girls is not great.  It is too bad there isn’t some kind of a camp you could go to.” 

 

“I guess we just have to stay the course then.  One step at a time and try not to get into trouble that we can’t get out of.” Alex shook her head.  “Anyway, Aqua things have been all over the place.  I wasn’t kidding when I said we only came here to get help with a plan to infiltrate the Yvne Barony.”

 

“I’m guessing you don’t want to float around in the harbor or waterways and try to pick up any gossip there?  That is what my cousins do.” Aqua shook her head. “Of course you want to get into the thick of things and try to get some intel on the lady.”

 

Alex nodded.

 

“Yeah, though I’m not a spy.  I just want to know what she intends to do by inviting Ki to tea.” Alex said.

 

“I think that everyone agrees that it is a trap.  When infiltrating the place the most important thing is to hide your connections to Ki.  No wait, the fact that you are a magical girl.  And also Fufi.”  Aqua looked at the Flamingo. “You know that they have the demonic barrier right?  Can you even bypass that?”

 

“I don’t know.  Maybe?  Alex made me a super suit so I’m trusting in her!” Fufi beamed, full of confidence in Alex’s work.

 

Alex facepalmed. “You think hiding in a doll can defeat a magic barrier?”

 

“Cuteness, love and friendship prevail over everything!” Fufi said something cringe.

 

“Okay, well I’m not going to leave you behind Fufi.  If something separates us we should retreat back here.  And if we can’t get through the barrier then I don’t think we can do anything better than what the Nereids are already doing.” Alex pondered the situation.

 

“I’m fine with that.  A familiar’s place it at her magical girl’s side.” Fufi’s conviction was obvious.

 

“Perhaps we can take your boat to the south end of the bog and then you could use the carriage to go the rest of the way?  You could pose as traveling merchants.  Maybe sell some food or cloth?  The demons don’t really pay attention to anyone that doesn’t project strength.  And if you don’t stand out too much I don’t think you’ll get too much scrutiny.” Aqua looked up and thought for a moment. “Just wear your most plain outfit and keep Fufi hidden.  The place is very poor.  The demons make sure that living conditions for humans are always miserable. Don’t look even imps in the eye.  They don’t kill humans that won’t fight back.”

 

“I guess I’ll stick with the toymaking outfit.  It is not anarchy down there hopefully?  Someone won’t just attack me and take everything because they can?” Alex expressed the worse case scenario.

 

“No, the humans might do that but not the demons.  They only act to advance their own cultivation or if the more important demons demand it.  If they don’t feel disrespected they shouldn’t do more than stick their nose up at random humans.” Aqua said.

 

They discussed some other possible things that might happen and eventually took off when Merumeru was done with her pipe.  Alex asked if she wanted to come but she declined.

 

“Merumeru ru ru me me.” Merumeri said.

 

“She wants to take some of this stuff back and use it for making some metal pipes.  She understands having her with you would just make you two stick out more.  Though Merumeru would like you to promise you you’ll come back safe.  She still wants you to explain the pipes in your cabin.

 

“Well, I can’t promise things will go perfectly but Fufi will do our best and be extra careful to not get caught.”

 

After saying their goodbyes, the party headed south, following a path that would put them on a road.  Aqua took the boat back into the swamp and Alex summoned the cart when they got to the road.  They were west of the city and needed an hour’s travel on the dirt road that had absolutely no traffic on it. 

6