CH43 Completed Grotto
701 5 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Having got things in town to a sustainable level, Alex considered heading back to the farm.  He sat at his desk Ki and Handverk across from him.

 

“So, will your people be okay on their own?  If we haven’t made any mistakes, everyone should have access to clean water and a place to sleep inside.” Alex said after glancing at the app on his phone that had a list of tasks to complete.  

 

“Yes, people are still adjusting but that can’t be helped.  Change is never easy.” Handverk stated sagely.

 

“Really?  What are they having trouble with?” Ki wondered.

 

“Well, the bunk houses are not that different from sleeping in a tent working in this building is not something anyone has any experience with.  The kitchen is difficult for our cooks to figure out.  Most of them think cooking is boiling something in water over an open fire.  Warm food mostly consisted of skewers and soups.  One older cook complained that an oven is something a smith should use, not a chef.” Handverk explained.

 

“I walked a couple young ladies through how to use a wood stove.  They seemed to pick up the basics of how to use it quickly.” Alex boggled that someone would scoff at convenience.

 

“Well it is a bit more nuanced than that.  That grumpy fellow has a campfire cooking skill. In his case cooking on that stove actually is harder than cooking on a campfire because the skill makes his cooking better that way.  If he cooks on a stove then it isn’t as good.” The human crafter said.

 

“You know what?  I am not sure I care.  No one has to learn to use the kitchen to cook if they don’t want to.” Alex threw his hands up.

 

“That’s fine.  Some of the lower leveled cooks are getting new skills related to working in the kitchen.  There aren't going to be people boycotting cooking things there.  Also, having running water at the turn of a knob is a hard bonus to pass up.  Some old cooks may think a soup tastes better cooked in a pot over a fire but I don’t think anyone is going to say water is better after walking down to the river with a bucket and hauling it back.” Handverk chuckled.

 

“Yeah, Merumeru is an amazing plumber.  She does good work.” Alex beamed proudly.  Merumeru’s contributions were amazing in getting this place modernized.

 

“Is that her class?” Handverk asked.

 

“Um… I’m not sure.  I always thought that she got her powers from being a slime girl.  Is it not like how nymphs have certain abilities?” Alex looked to Ki.

 

The nymph smiled. “I can’t understand her either but I think she has a class.  Being able to make holes for water to go through is one thing but she can do more than that.”

 

“Huh, I wonder how she got a class? Don’t you have to pray to the gods and ask for one?” Alex said, perplexed.

 

“Maybe she did it without realizing it? Some of the more obscure gods have weird ways of worship.” Fufi helpfully added.

 

“Like what?” Alex asked.

 

“The elemental gods are a good example.  Their priests and followers submerge themselves in the element while they pray.” Fufi replied to Alex’s question.

 

“That’s tough.  Asking the god of fire for a class might leave you burned and hairless.” Alex shook his head at the thought.

 

“It depends on the race.  Not every sentient race burns as easily as humans.” Fufi added.

 

“Anyway, we are getting a bit off topic.” Ki brought them back to why they were having the meeting.  “Alex, Fufi and I are planning to leave for a week.  Will your tribe be okay if we leave?  Some of the other nymphs are keeping an eye on things so they can let me know if some emergency happens.”

 

Handverk shook his head. “I don’t think so. It was more than generous to let us settle here.  I think everyone learned their lesson about being too greedy from what happened to the former chief.”

“I should have enough supplies for the two day trip.  Do you want to take the carriage with us Ki or would you rather treestride back to the farm? Merumeru is there already right?” Alex asked the nymph.

 

Ki closed her eyes and focused.  “She’s back in the grotto with the other decoration-minded nymphs.  But sure I’m up for taking a carriage ride at least in the parts we can go.”

 

Alex, Fufi, and Ki headed out of the adventurer’s guild and he deployed the carriage from the card.  After winding it up they took off to the west, deeper into the woods.  Like on the way there traveling through the flat lands was possible in the clockwork carriage.  However they eventually had to put it away and walk.

 

“I feel like I’m slowing everyone down here.  Ki can treestride and Fufi can fly.”  Alex complained when the terrain was too tough for the wheels.

 

“There are magical girls who can fly.  I don’t know if there are any left in this world but winged elves can be magical girls.” Fufi loved talking about magical girls.

 

“Oh, where did you meet one?” Alex asked.

 

“Um, I haven’t just heard stories from other familiars about magical girls of the past. Elves are a long lived race but they have low fertility rates. Winged elves have that disadvantage as well as bones like a bird.  They can fly but the trade is even more fragile than normal elves. In the war, winged elves helped fight flying demons.  But there were many more flying monsters in the demon army.  Imps and other flyers would swarm them. Elven archery and magic is impressive but with enough numbers they can be worn down.” The flamingo told her sad tale.

 

“Well, I hope that they are not extinct.” Alex said.

 

While they were traveling through the woods, a shriek echoed through the area.  It sounded like a cross between a crow and a woman screaming.

 

“What in the world was that horrible noise?” Alex winced.

“Hmm, look over there.  I think it is a harpy.” Ki pointed off into the distance.

Alex looked, squinted and saw the silhouette of what looked like a human with wings and taloned feet.  “Hmm, I can barely see it.”

“Her” Ki corrected. “Harpies are always female.”

“How is that sustainable as a species?” Alex scratched his head.

“Well they can breed with a lot of different species, really most any humanoid. Humans, dwarves, elves, beastfolk they target during breeding season.” Ki said.

“When is the breeding season?” Alex hummed.

“Well, it used to just be in the fall.  That is how it is for normal harpies.  However, the demons made a nasty plague that infected some of them. Well, we don’t know for sure but it seems like something they would do.” Ki said sadly.

 

“What plague?” Alex asked.

“It is called bird flu.” Ki said grimly.

“Bird flu?  Does it only affect birds? That doesn’t sound too bad.” Alex hoped.

“It is called bird flu because it transforms the infected.” Ki continued.

Alex looked worried.

“First they develop a fever after an incubation period.  Then the disease feminizes them.  After they are fully female then they start to sprout feathers and their body slowly transforms into a harpy.  Their arms turn into wings.  Their feet turn into talons and they lose their ability to talk to anyone but other harpies in the final stage.” Ki grimly explained.

“Well let’s not run into this bird flu if we can help it.” Alex stated firmly.

Fufi nodded her beak in agreement.

“Ah but I haven’t even got to the good part.” Ki complained.

“There is a good part?” Fufi and Alex asked in unison.

“Yeah, when the demon army was on campaign they mind controlled the harpies to help bolster their flying units.  Harpies are not smart so they are easy to mind control for demons with that power. However, this backfired on them.” Ki paused in a dramatic fashion.

“What happened?” Alex said with interest.

“Well, a harpy can be mind controlled but a plague, lacking a mind, cannot.” Ki smiled brightly.

“Oh, I think I know where this is going.” Alex also smiled.

“You guessed it.  The demon army had some initial success with the harpy units but eventually a bird flu outbreak set in on the ranks of the lesser demons. It stopped several armies for months while the rank and file kept turning into harpies.  It turns out, the demon priests are much better at spreading disease than curing it.” Ki finished her story with a flourish of her hand.

Alex clapped. “Serves them right”

“It is not as black and white as that, sadly.  Some people recover from the illness.  They are left in various states of transformation.  However, without the right skills it is not possible to tell if they are contagious or not.  The epidemic left a wave of discrimination against anyone female and with avian characteristics.” Ki ruined a perfectly good story with that last part.

 

The rest of the trip was uneventful.  After the two day trip the trio arrived back at the farm.

A group of nymphs cheerfully greeted them at the stream.  

After catching up with Bob, Martha and Kaide they had a big feast.  Given the dietary restrictions of nymphs, the feast was mostly fruits and vegetables.  Of note was the lack of any apples at the meal.  The next morning everyone gathered at the grotto.

 

This grotto is a divine sanctuary made in homage to Luna, beloved goddess of cuteness. Subtle water spouts slowly trickle water from the furthest back wall.  They drain into a wishing well in front of the largest statue. The breath-taking entrance, framed by a canopy of flowering vines, opens to a garden of enchanting pink and white flowers. An ornate stone altar sits at the center, surrounded by grand sculptures of the goddess and her adorable entourage. Alex entered, becoming filled with joy, feeling a special connection to the spirit of innocence and charm. Delightful scents of strawberries, ice cream, and candy fill the air. Oddly, some glowing mushrooms that look more like glowing pink lollipops line the walls.

 

33