Chapter 6 – I F*cked Up
189 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I helped Rio practice until we went to sleep. Though, I didn’t have any experience as a waiter, so I just tried my best with what I knew about it.

The next morning, I woke up feeling the best I’ve felt in a while. The bed was as soft as a feather and the pillows felt heavenly.

Luckily, there was a bathroom connected to our room. Rio was still asleep, so I took the opportunity to take my shower first. The bathroom looked great, matching the rustic theme everything else had going on.

There were two towels, two toothbrushes, and a tube of toothpaste already there. They were unopened so it seemed like they were for us. I went ahead and brushed my teeth before hopping in the shower.

After I got dressed in my work attire and headed back to the bed, Rio was already up, though he looked very sleepy.

“Morning.” I greeted him.

“Good morning! Haah…” He yawned.

It was around 7 in the morning. Breakfast started at 9 so we had a lot of time until work started.

“You should take a shower and get used to your uniform, there’s a blue toothbrush and towel in the bathroom you can use.”

“Okay…” He replied, still half-asleep. He headed to the bathroom.

I flopped onto my bed as I thought about the day I had ahead of me. Despite my ‘Peace of Mind’ skill, I was a little nervous. Singing in front of others, I haven’t really ever done it before until recently. How am I even supposed to do it? Do I sing a bunch of different songs that I know? Do I sing the same song?

The terms I worked out with Jennette yesterday basically were that I’d sing in a little area she had cleared out. I’d be making 5 silvers a week and could keep any tips I received. I think I had quite an easy job compared to being a waiter, I only had to sing a few songs in a row before taking a break to rest my voice and then repeating. Rio had to constantly talk with customers and actually work.

A short while later, I could hear a door open and see Rio walking out of the bathroom wearing his uniform.

“Woah-” I mumbled.

He had looked great, his sky blue eyes matched the blue uniform. His hair could use a little cut though. He had long, black hair that covered a bit of his eyes. He had a slim jawline and looked a little feminine-cute like a puppy would be a better analogy.

“How is it…?” He asked, his cheeks were red as if he was embarrassed and he had a shy tone.

“You look cute.” I replied. He reminded me of a black Labrador.

“T-Thank you…” He got even more embarrassed. “You look good too…”

“Thanks.”

He really seems like he’d be a key character, but I just don’t remember writing him in my novel. Maybe he had a different name? I don’t know.

Rio sat on his bed and started to speak, “I’m…I’m a little nervous.”

“Me too, but it’ll be fine. There’s no need to worry.”

“But what if I mess something up?”

“You’re cute enough that the customers will just laugh it off. Just don’t piss off some old prick. Though, if you do and they give you trouble, just let me know and I’ll piss them right off.”

He seemed a little more at ease after I told him those words, “Thank you…” He said.

“Though, if you’re in the wrong, I might just have to hit you.” I joked.

“Huh-Eh?!”

“I’m kidding.”

We headed downstairs and on the way down, we saw the waitress from yesterday.

“Oh, you boys are up early, I didn’t expect you two to be new hires. It’s nice to meet y’all, my name is Rachel.”

“Nice to meet you, I’m Leo.”

“N-nice to meet you, my name is Rio…”

“Haha, well, let me show y’all around a little.”

“That’d be great. Thank you.”

Rachel took us to the door behind the counter, there were multiple rooms including the kitchen, a staff room, bathroom, and even a staff canteen.

“That’s pretty much all the important areas, now, let’s eat! Employees get free breakfast every morning before 9.” Rachel sat down at a table and Rio and I sat across from her. “Saul! Could we get 3 breakfast meals!” Rachel shouted towards the kitchen.

“Saul?” I asked.

“He’s our chef, one of a kind, a sweetheart really.” Rachel responded.

“Good to know.”

“Anyways, Rio, darling, Ms. Cloudsly asked me to train you, so you’ll be following me and learning the ropes.”

“D-darling?” Rio responded with red cheeks.

“Sorry, sweetheart, does that make you uncomfortable?”

“H-h-huh? S-sweetheart?”

“That too-?”

“I-isn’t that what you call your…lover…?” He mumbled with a shy tone.

“O-Haha! Oh! You’re so cute, darling. I suppose it is to some people, just take it as a tone of endearment.”

“O-okay…Got it!”

I subconsciously smiled as I watched that unfold. Suddenly, Rachel started speaking to me, “So, Leo, sweetheart, I hear you’re hired for a new position, whats-ya-ma-call-it, entertainer?”

“Yeah, entertainer, singer, one of those. I’ll be providing background noise that may be pleasant to the ears.”

“Ahh- that’s great! Good-looking and can sing, all the ladies will be over you.”

Shortly after, a big, hulky guy wearing a chef’s hat entered the room, he was tall, buff and had a scary look in his eye, it was Saul. He was holding a tray that had our meals on it. 2 Eggs and 6 pieces of bacon, it looked and smelt great.

After he laid the meals in front of us, Rachel spoke, “Thank you, sweetheart.”

“Thank you.” I spoke.

“T-thank you.” Rio said nervously.

Saul nodded his head and went back to the kitchen.

Before I could start eating, I saw Rachel close her eyes and hold her hands together as if she was praying, “Thank you my lord for this wonderful blessing.” She spoke to herself.

Mm…? I didn’t think there’d be people like that in this world. Interesting.

The food was delicious and left me wanting more, but now it was time for work. Jennette entered the room and headed over to us before starting to speak, “Good morning, boys. Good morning, Rachel.”

“Morning boss.” Rachel replied.

“Good morning.” I replied.

“G-good morning.” Rio replied.

“Are you two nervous? First day jitters?”

“A bit.” I replied and Rio nodded his head.

“Well, just take it easy. Rachel will teach you all that you need to know, Rio. And as for you, Leo, uh…Good luck!”

“What?”

“Haha, Alright, Leo follow me. Rachel, you know what to do.”

“Yup! C’mon Rio, darling. I’ll show you the ropes.”

“Y-yes! Okay!” He nervously jumped up before following Rachel to the main area.

“Lead the way.” I stood up and followed Jennette to the main room.

After I entered the main area, it suddenly got way quieter, and it felt like there were a lot of eyes on me. Jennette had probably told the customers I’d be singing, and they were in the judgement phase.

“Just head on over to that mic and go to town. Good luck!” Jennette said, pointing towards a lone microphone.

“Alright.” I replied and headed towards it.

As I stood in front of the microphone, I started to get the chills. It was more nerve-racking than I thought. The eyes of nearly everyone in there were on me, even Rio’s. Would they even like the songs I sang? I know that so far, it’s been good, but would everyone here feel the same way?

Haah…Screw it, I’ll just do my job. If it goes wrong, maybe I can be a waiter or something.

“E-hem…” I cleared my throat, and it went dead silent, I leaned in towards the microphone before starting to sing, “All I dream are dreams of blue, the sky, the sea, I wish I flew~

I sang another song from my world. It had a relaxing and calm vibe to it in my opinion. After I had finished singing, I looked towards the crowd and all of their attention was on me. Not a single word was spoken, and my heart sank a little.

Did I fuck up…?

Suddenly, I started to hear a cheer, “Woo!”

“Woah, I wasn’t expecting to like it, but that was quite nice!”

“Haha! Good job kid! You’ve got a nice voice!”

“I feel way more relaxed now for some reason.”

“Again!”

Huh…Everyone…Likes it? They want more…? Haah…It kind of feels good.

I didn’t know it at the time, but I had a smile on my face.

For the next few hours, I continued to sing, taking a short break every couple of songs.

“That’ll be it for today…Thanks for listening.” I bowed before heading towards an empty table, hearing some cheers on my way there.

The place quickly became loud with conversations again, and I don’t know if it was just me, but I felt like the overall mood was better.

After I sat down, Jennette sat across from me and started to speak, “That was great! I’m glad I hired you now, haha! How’s your voice?” She asked.

“A little dry. How’s Rio?” I asked.

“He’s doing great too! I heard that he made a few minor mess ups but overall he’s fantastic! Some of the customers pulled me to the side and said that ‘He’s like a puppy.’”

“That’s good.”

“You also got some tips today, they’ll be in your room by tonight. I have to go now but enjoy the rest of your day!”

“Alright, you too, bye.” I waved as she headed off.

Mm… I hope I got a lot of tips. We need 10 gold coins each to even apply to Heavensward. On our current salary, we’re not going to have enough for a while.

Shortly after, Rio came to my table and stood towards my side, “Leo! That was amazing!” He spoke with an excited voice.

“Thank you.”

“I was really impressed! And so were the customers! I was really nervous in the beginning but when I started to hear your voice, my tension started to ease.” He smiled.

“That’s good. Could I get a lunch meal, please?”

“Huh?”

“Mm? You’re a waiter, remember?”

“O-oh! I forgot! Coming up!”

“Haha.” I smiled.

After Rio left, a person in a suit came up to my table and started to speak, “That was a brilliant performance!” he had a deep voice.

“Thank you.” I replied.

“Are you perhaps open to private performances? My daughter’s birthday is coming up and I don’t have anyone on music duty currently.”

Ah-I didn’t think of that. Private performances would be a great idea. I only had 2 months to make 20 gold, and that would help a lot.

“I am. Would you like to discuss the details here?” I asked.

“No, could you follow me if you have the time?”

“Uh…I just ordered some food, could you wait a few for me to eat? I’m a little starved.”

“Oh! Of course. Do you mind if I take a seat then?”

“Go ahead.”

He seemed like a rich man; he was fairy good looking and had bodyguards. He also seemed to be quite nice, having a friendly tone and a nice smile. Though, his body guards looked at me a little weirdly.

As the man was talking to his bodyguards, Rio brought me my meal.

“Thank you.”

“It’s my job after all!” Rio smiled, he looked proud of himself.

Because of employee discounts, the meals were half off. Now being 5 copper instead of 10 per meal.

I gave Rio 20 copper coins and told him it was a tip, but at first, he was adamant on not taking it, but I practically forced him to accept it.

The man in the suit smiled while looking towards us.

I quickly finished eating before speaking, “Sorry for the wait.”

“It’s not a problem, I enjoyed the atmosphere.” He replied, pausing for a moment before continuing to speak, “Alright, follow me.” He stood up.

“I’ll be back, Rio.”

“Goodluck…”

After we exited the inn, I was greeted with a carriage and some more bodyguards, the carriage was a pure white and looked really fancy.

This was a really rich person.

After entering the carriage, we sat across from each other, and I decided to check his status.

 

Richard Vandersun – 43

Skills – Keen Eye, Radiance, The Sun’s Lance, The Radiant One

Talents – Magic (Light), Swordsmanship, Leadership

Stats: S

Strength: A+

Agility: S-

Dexterity: A+

Stamina: S

Mana: S

 

It was the King.

I fucked up.

6