Chapter 7 – The King
163 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Are you kidding me…? What was the fucking king doing at a random inn?! For no reason what-so-ever too!? I know I said that it’s an inn that even nobles visit but the king!? Doesn’t he have like 20 personal chefs that can cook him anything!?

‘King Vandersun was someone who’d lead the charge and fight at the forefront of the battlefield. He loved his people, and his people loved him. But he was also a family man, for his children, he’d sacrifice himself in a heartbeat.’

That was how I introduced him in the novel. I did go more in-depth later, but I sure as hell don’t remember writing ‘King Vandersun loves visiting random inns!’ What was he doing here!?

But I don’t remember him looking like this? King Vandersun had golden blonde hair that shined like the sun in the sky, when he used his light magic on the battlefield it was like he was the sun itself. I’m pretty sure he and the rest of the royal family should have golden eyes for that exact reason…Then why does he have dark brown hair and green eyes right now?

I looked around the carriage a bit more and could see the symbol of a lion painted on the white carriage doors, the velvet-red cushions we sat on also seemed like it was the sign of nobility.

It’s definitely the royal carriage…

Before I could think more, he started to speak, “How long have you been singing?” He asked while crossing his legs.

“A few years now.” I lied as easily as the wind breezed, I couldn’t just say ‘Yesterday’ and look like an idiot. Thankfully my ‘Peace of Mind’ skill was keeping me calm.

“Interesting. What made you start?”

“I liked the sound of my voice. I figured others would too, does that make me a narcissist?”

“I don’t think so, haha! You are definitely an amazing singer, otherwise we wouldn’t be having this conversation right now.”

“Thanks.” I replied as I looked outside of the carriage, I could see horses with knights on top of them riding next to us. There were a lot of people on the sidelines who were staring at us.

“Are you a bit nervous?” He asked.

“A bit? I’d say ‘very’, I wasn’t expecting this to happen today.”

“Oh? Then I assume you’ve figured it out?”

“I think so, I’m not going to be executed for my speech, right?”

“Haha! You’re funny. Don’t worry, anything you say to me while I’m in disguise doesn’t matter. Plus, I’m the one invited you on without telling you anything. We’re here to discuss my daughter’s birthday.”

“That’s good then. I assume that we aren’t talking about it here though? Seeing as you’re still disguised.”

“You’re quick to notice, that’s right. I’d like to get to know you personally a bit better before granting you an audience.”

“Then I’ll treat you as a regular person while your disguised.”

“Wonderful. So, that waiter from earlier, is he family?”

“That’s right. He’s my younger brother.”

“Interesting, where are you two from?”

“The slums, yesterday was our first day out of them.”

“The slums, huh? You carry yourself well.”

“Thank you for the compliment.” As I replied, the carriage suddenly stopped and one of the knights knocked on the window.

“Looks like we’re here.” The king said before he started to emit a bright white shine that made me cover my eyes. Shortly after, the light disappeared and the person in front of me changed. From the regular, dark brown hair guy to the golden hair, majestic king of Plough. He had a sharp jar line and looked like a lion, he radiated air filled with pride, it was kind of suffocating to be honest.

He stepped out of the carriage first and I followed, his knights led us into the castle, and I could see servants bow as we walked. We headed towards his office, and he told me to take a seat, “Could you bring us some tea?” He asked his butler.

“Right away, Sir.”

I didn’t know what expression I had on at the moment, meeting the king wasn’t even something that the main character had ever did.

“Allow me to formally introduce myself. My name is Richard Vandersun, the king of Plough.”

Just the way he talked felt suffocating, if I didn’t have my ‘Peace of Mind’ skill I’d have passed out. I wasn’t familiar with royal greetings or how to be formal at all, the only time I’ve ever learnt about that was when I read novels and such.

I got on one knee and started to speak, “Greetings to his majesty, my name is Leo Vondheart. I apologize if I come off as disrespectful or idiotic, as I am from the slums, I’ve never learnt the proper greetings.”

Haah… I feel embarrassed… I hope I don’t get executed…

“You may stand, your greeting was fine.”

“Thank you.” I replied before taking a seat. Shortly after, the butler returned with two cups of hot tea, he placed them in front of us and a heavenly smell lingered throughout the air.

The king nodded to the butler, and he left, it was just us left in the room.

I didn’t even know the proper way to hold a tea cup, so I didn’t bother touching it.

“Now, shall we get to business?” The king asked as he took a sip of his tea.

“Yes. When do you need me to sing and where?” I asked, I felt a bit uncomfortable sitting one-on-one with the king, so I opted to take the initiative.

“It would be in a week, when the sun is at its highest. It’ll be in the royal hall, and you would need to arrive early.”

“Excuse my bluntness, but how much is the pay?”

“A gold coin, however, catering is supplied.”

“I feel a bit nervous heading there alone, would I be allowed to bring my brother with me?”

“I’ll allow it.”

A whole gold coin?! That’s a steal! Plus we’d get to eat free food?! It seemed like everything was favorable for me, maybe even some of the other nobles who’d be there would want my services as well.

“We will see you in a week, then.”

“Oh? You’re not going to haggle?”

“Who would dare haggle your majesty?”

“You seem like you would.”

“Maybe at another time.”

The king’s skill ‘Keen Eye’ was an absolutely broken skill.

 

Keen Eye (S Grade)

You can see one’s nature and tell when they’re lying.

 

Which dumbass thought it was a good idea to give him that? It was me. I’m the dumbass.

Because of his skill, I didn’t even attempt to lie. He’d knew when I was anyways. That meant he probably knew at the beginning when I told a little bit of lies like about when I started singing but he ignored it. I’m so glad I made him a good-natured king…

“It’s a pleasure doing business with you, would that be all you need me for?” I asked.

“That’ll be all for now. You’re excused. If you’re going back to the Moonlit Inn, I’ll have a carriage send you back.”

“Thank you, your majesty.” I bowed before exiting the room, following a butler that led me to a carriage.

It was a pleasant ride back to the inn. I had took a regular carriage back but it was still a very comfortable ride. The driver didn’t try to make small talk either.

As I got out of the carriage, the driver started to speak, “In a week, I’ll be picking you up again. Have a good night.”

“Alright, thanks. You too.” I replied before stretching my arms, it was already dark out and the streets were lit up by street lights.

After I headed back inside, I could see Rio sitting at a table. There wasn’t much people sitting around anymore, it seemed like most of them had gone home by now. I sat down at the table across from Rio and started to speak, “Hey.”

He got a little startled before looking at me with shining eyes, “Leo!”

“How was work?”

“It was a little lonely, but other than that it was great! I think I’m getting the hang of things. How did your meeting go?”

“Uh…Sorry…I think I might be getting executed.”

“W-what!?”

“I’m kidding.” I chuckled to myself after seeing his reaction, “We’re meeting the king’s daughter in a week though.”

“H-huh?! What!?”

“Well, to be fair, we’re not exactly meeting her one-on-one, I’d just be providing the music. You don’t have any warrants or anything right? I’m pretty sure we’re about to get a background check finished by tonight.”

“W-w-wait, could you explain more?” Rio had a shocked expression.

“Sure. The king’s daughter birthday is in a week, and for some reason, the king was at this inn today. He liked my singing and offered me some work. I accepted the work, and we get free food. Anything confusing you?”

“Y-Yes! Everything!”

“Huh…Like what?”

“I-I mean, first off, why am I included? I’m not anything special like you are… I’d just be a waste of space there…”

“What do you mean? You’re more special than anyone there. I wouldn’t even be singing if you weren’t there. You’re not a waste of space, you’re my brother.”

“…Mm…” His cheeks were red as he continued to speak quietly, “…But I’m from the slums, the people there won’t like me…”

“I’m from the slums too. And can you say that about Rachel, and Jennette? Can you say that they don’t like you? The customers you served today, do you think they hate you as well?”

“Huh-No…”

“Then what makes you think that they will?”

“I don’t…”

“Rio. Do you want to know why the king even gave me an audience?” As I spoke, Rio looked at me and paid attention to every word I said, “Don’t tell anyone I said this, but the king has a skill. A very broken skill, it’s called ‘Keen Eye’. It allows him to see someone’s true nature. I already told him that we’re from the slums, and he’s probably sending people to get information about us right now. But, before he even got that intel, he allowed both of us to enter the royal hall in a week. Do you know why? Because he see’s people for their nature, rather than their backgrounds. Rio, there’s no need to be scared anymore.”

“…Mm…” Rio silently nodded his head as it looked like he tried not to cry.

“Now, I have to somehow explain to Jennette about what’s going on in a week. I’ll see you later, good luck.” I ruffled Rio’s hair before heading to the staff only area. He had about another hour of work left even if it was a bit slow.

---

8