Chapter 12
5.9k 8 226
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

|Gwyndolin A. Cunningham - Heir to Cunningham Family|

"You call for me, dad?"

As I get inside my father's office, I can see him writing something on paper before putting it away when he sees me.

"Yes. Take a seat."

I nod my head and take a seat, followed by him sitting opposite me.

"The reason why I call you here is to inform you that you need to fulfill your duty as the heir of Cunnigham."

Ah. I remember this. Every heir who awakened their talent needed to perform noble duty by commanding a hundred men and patrolling the territory. Other than patrolling and increasing my strength, this duty also has other functions.

This duty let me search for a companion–a companion that is willing to protect my family and me as a sworn brother. Father also has a sword brother, but he fell in battle against the Gokuya Kingdom while protecting his lord.

You didn't need to get a sworn brother from this duty, but every past Lord's sworn brother came from this duty.

"I see. When do I need to go?"

"Next week."

"For how long?"

"You will perform for six months. You will go around the southern territory under the banner of Crownless Raven. "

The Cunningham family's coat of arms is a black raven standing on top of the Elder Tree branch in front of a red background. On top of the raven is a golden crown with a red jewel in the middle of the crown.

Crownless Raven, on the other hand, is a banner symbolizing the heir of the Cunningham family who is currently performing their duty to the southern people. Each family of the southern noble has their own banner when its heir performs their duty.

"How many heirs will there be this year?"

"Only you, sadly. The others already perform their duty or need another year before they awaken their talent."

"I see. Hmmm, this will be hard. I guess that's why you say my duty is six months?"

"That's right. You need to go around the southern territory and because you are alone in your journey, you cannot split the responsibility with the other."

"Hmmm. I don't mind. I want to explore the world and see what it is like out there."

I can see him smile proudly at me. You don't need to smile like that, dad. You don't know that my previous life was hell. I want to go out and see the world but can't because I will die if I do that. My body is too weak, and my immune system is too damaged to handle the outside world.

"Good. Because of this, I need you to start training with the people who volunteer to come with you. There are too many of them and I need to choose them by myself. That is why I've been busy the past three days. You are really popular, you know?"

"Really? Am I that popular? I don't do anything."

"Hah! That is a good one."

I can see father smile at my words, but when he sees my serious face, he raises one of his eyebrows and says.

"You are serious?"

"Yes. I don't see why they want to come with me. It will be a dangerous journey after all. They can die."

"They know about the risk but they are willing to do it. They do it not because of the gold our family will give them at the end of their duty but because of what you do to them."

"What do I do?"

Father looks at me as if I'm stupid before sighing.

"You heal them and their family, Gwyn. You are a noble willing to heal those who are lower-class people."

"But it was a noble duty to protect and give the commoner a good life in return for them working for us."

"A lot of nobles will disagree with you, Gwyn. However, that side of yours makes people willing to give their life to you. You inherit our family's stern expression. However, you also inherit your mother's heart. You are stern and willing to put yourself in front of the people in need because not only is it your duty but also because you are kind."

"I see…"

Father smiled at me, got up from the sofa, and patted my head.

"You don't need to think much about it. Anyway, because of this reason, I need you to come to the training ground and train with the people I choose. You will train your swordsmanship and martial arts with the rest of them. Hardship creates a great bond after all."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

|Jullian - Hopeful Trainee|

My name is Jullian, and I'm just a poor kid that lives in Cunningham territory. I'm in the middle of the training ground panting from the exercise the lord gave us. It has been two months since we trained in the barrack, which was hard but beneficial for all of us.

We are the hundred people chosen by Lord Cunningham to accompany his heir on his duty as a noble. We know the danger in this journey and are still willing to do it because we have a massive debt to pay young master Gwyn.

I don't know about the other, but if not for him, my family would die from an illness. When all of us had already given up and accepted that we could do nothing, he came to our house and cured our illnesses.

He comes and sits next to us, a low-born person, as if we are his equal. He treats us with kindness and gives us food and medicine for our bodies before leaving us with a small smile on his face. It was not an ordinary smile. It was a smile that said he was glad that he could help us.

When I saw that smile, I quickly stopped him and asked him why. I will never forget the answer he gave to me that day.

"There is nothing wrong with helping others."

He cured us not because of obligation, not because of duty but because of kindness. My family and I will never forget what he did to us. To repay his kindness, I will become his shield and sword.

I will be the wall that protects him with my life. I will still do it even if he does not know or remember my name. I know that he will tarnish his innocence one day because of his duty, but I will make sure he stays the same. The world will not tarnish the star of Cunningham. He will shine brighter and brighter while I will be his shadow that protects him.



1.1k words / 15k words

Hey, I have Patreon where you can read my other works, or you can go to my Paypal to encourage me to write this novel more! For every $2, I will write 1k words chapter, and for every $1, I will add 500 words more. I will try to write as fast as possible and then post it immediately. I will not force anyone to donate, as you spending your time reading my fic is enough for me. Have a good day!

226