Chapter 51
2.4k 13 92
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I look at the massive feast in front of me and smile a little when I see Jullian start to stack food on his plate. After the elves join in on our duty, Jullian becomes a foodie and wants to try all the food worldwide.

"How is it, Jullian? How is the food?"

"Good. Not great. I prefer the one cooked by our chef."

"That is a fighting word."

I look to the side and see the princess walking toward us. I can see her smiling at us; this time, it is genuine. Unlike the one, she gave it to the fat bastard.

"Fight word, princess?"

"The royal chef is the one cooking that food. If the head chef hears what you said, he will ask for a duel."

"Really? To the death?

"No. Not that kind of duel. Cooking match."

"Huh."

I take a couple of foods from the table and start eating them.

"How is the feast, heir Gwyndolin?"

"Not bad. However, it lacks some entertainment."

From the book I read in my previous life, a medieval feast usually has some kind of entertainment for the guest, like play or a jester playing on the stage. However, in this place, there is none. A band plays music on the stage, but it plays some sad tune that is inappropriate for this feast.

This is supposed to be a celebration, but they play the music that should be played at a funeral.

"Does the music bore you?"

"The music is not suitable for this kind of feast. This is a celebration, and they play that music."

The princess takes one of the glasses and sips the wine.

"Yes. You are right. This is supposed to be a celebration. I wonder why they play sad music. Excuse me for a moment. I need to talk to them."

She walks away from us and goes to the musician. I chuckle a little when the band leader gets pale when the princess talks to him. A few seconds later, they changed the music, and now they play a light but cheerful tune.

"How is it?"

I look at her while holding a glass of wine and say.

"Better. At least I'm not depressed any longer."

"That is good to hear. I don't know what was in their mind playing that kind of music when my father said that this is a celebration feast."

"Politics. Someone pays them or something, so they play that kind of music. Image is something powerful here, and they want to smear mine."

"Are you not bothered by that?"

"Not really, no. Can I be honest with you, princess?"

"Of course. Also, please call me Bernadette."

"And please call me Gwyn. Anyway, I want to say that I don't care about my image here. South is my home, and the opinion of the southern people is the one I will hear. Truthfully, I don't want to be here."

"What?"

"Yeah. If not for the king threatening us, I would reject his feast."

I can see her look at me in shock. I ignore her and continue to drink the wine. I had never drunk alcohol before, and this was the first time I had drunk one. My family is not a drinking family, and my father only opens up a couple of bottles of wine when guests are coming.

I kinda like it. Have a balanced taste of sweet, sour, salty, and a small bit of bitterness. The aroma is great. I'm new to this, but I like it.

"That is a word you should not say in this place."

"Oh? What will happen to me?"

"Kick you out of the capital at the minimum and kill you at the maximum if the king hears your word."

"Meh."

"Meh?! That's it?! Are you not afraid that I will tell my father?"

"Will you?"

I look at her in the eyes and see her look away from mine. After a few seconds, she sighs and says.

"No. You are lucky that I know something is wrong with this feast. If not for something fishy going on, I would not come to this feast and continue my training."

"Fishy?"

Is that the 'wrongness' I feel about this city? Or is it different? Forget it. The faster I get out of this place, the faster I can enjoy life. I prefer farming to attend this party.

"Yes. Before talking further, Felix? If you don't mind?"

"Of course, princess."

I look at the man next to her in confusion, but a second later, I can feel something fly past me. I blink for a few seconds before a rush of knowledge gets inside my head. [Solomon's Wisdom] gives me what this is and how to destroy them if I want to.

"[Dome of Silence]? Neat trick."

It prevents anyone from hearing what is inside the dome. Not only that, but this dome also follows the caster. That means they can make a smaller dome to sneak around without anyone noticing. I have a couple of similar spells, but what makes this one fascinating is the lack of mana or any sort of energy that lets a normal person detect this.

I look at the middle-aged man before me with new respect. If he wants to be an assassin, he will be one of the strongest.

"Oh? You know about that, huh? Interesting."

"I have a couple of spells with the same effect, but not as good as this one."

"Really? I hope you don't mind telling me about that spell in the future, but we need to talk now."

I look at her for a second and take a seat while Jullian stands behind me. She follows suit, and her guard, Felix, stands behind her.

"So, what is it? Why do you want to talk to me to the point where you must put this barrier?"

"I don't want to sound rude but have you offended a noble from the north lately?"

"No. Nothing comes to mind, at least directly."

"What do you mean?"

"Do you know that we built clinics across the southern region, right?"

"Yes"

"That is the problem. Usually, we give a ton of money to the northern noble so they can send a healer south to heal our soldiers. Now, we have the clinic and do not use any healing spells that are known to the church. We did not need to hire their people."

"That clears one of our problems. However, that did not clear the reason why they decided to make trouble at the feast."

"Problem? At the feast? What kind of problem? The only thing I encounter is the one before the feast, and you already take care of it."

Bernadette looks at me and opens her mouth. However, before she can say something, the door of the room opens up, and a knight shouts.

"Announcing! King Hernandes Murian Thomas Gipan, the King of the glorious Gipan Kingdom! The defender of the innocent and the stalwart shield of the light!"

Oh, look at that. The king has finally arrived. I thought that I would be drunk before he arrived.

92