Chapter 55
2.4k 10 93
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After eating our food, we left the inn. Jullian looks at me and says.

"Where are you going next, young master?"

"Hmmm, there is only one place we have yet to visit."

"Huh? Where?"

"The slum."

"What?! We can't go there, young master! The rumor said that place is very dangerous, especially for the noble like us."

"Then we will go incognito. Jullian, can you buy some clothes from the local clothes shop? Buy the one who lets us blend in among the people and not get other attention."

"Roger!"

Before I can even give him the money, he takes off. I can only sigh and smile a little.

~An hour later~

Jullian and I walk to the slum with our new clothes. It is a bland shirt with a rough fabric, but it is good enough to make us blend with the people in this place. A little bit too clean but good enough.

I look around and see the people in this place are malnourished. I can see their ribs, and some of them even coughing blood. My mind starts to flash a memory I repress. A memory of me coughing blood on the hospital floor and the doctor quickly carrying me away.

However, I know that they have it worse. They did not have a group of doctors taking care of you and ensuring you survived to see another day. They are all alone.

"Young master? Are you okay? Do you need to sit down for a moment? Or was the food poisoned?! That bastard!"

I quickly pulled Jullian before he could run to the inn and wreak havoc.

"No. I'm just sad, Jullian."

"Sad?"

"Yeah, look around."

Jullian looks around, and I can see the expression on his face start to change. He stays silent for a few seconds before saying.

"You want to help them, don't you?"

"Yes. How do you know?"

"Because you do the same to me. Do you remember the first time you came to our village?"

"Yeah, I remember."

I remember coming to his village and seeing the same thing happen. A lot of people are sick and need help.

"It is the same. It is within your nature to help people. In this dark world, you keep shining brighter and brighter. I'm glad to serve you."

"Oh, shut up. Here, take this."

I take out two cloaks that will cover our faces, and we continue to walk through the dirty road of the slum. We continue to walk deeper into the slum and stop when a child suddenly falls to the ground.

I quickly take action and check on her. She is sick; that is obvious. I put my hand on her forehead and felt her entire body hot. I quickly take out a fever potion from my inventory and slowly feed her that potion.

I see her drink the potion slowly and feel her body start to cool down. I can see her open her eyes, and I smile at her.

"Don't worry. I got you. I will start to heal you, okay? Please slowly drink this one."

I take out another potion. This time, it is a nutrition potion. This is an original and new potion my mother made with her army of alchemists. This potion gives someone all the nutrition they need to improve their body.

A small dose of this potion is used to make the soldier grow stronger. It is used alongside their meal. The higher dose is used for someone who is malnourished. We rarely use this one, but when someone from the north comes, we usually give them one of these potions.

I also cast a low-level healing spell at her while feeding her the potions. After a few seconds, I can see her body regain its color.

"There you go. You are now good to go."

The little girl looks at her body for a few seconds in awe and then looks at Jullian and me.

"Why?"

"Hmmm?"

"Why? Why are you helping me?"

"Why not? Is it wrong to help another?"

She looked like she did not trust me and said,

"What do you want? My body? Do you want to sell me as a slave? Answer me!"

"Is it too hard to understand that I only want to help you without any evil intention?"

"Yes!"

I look at her and then at Jullian before sighing.

"Very well. I want something from you."

I can see her look at me with fear. How bad is this place that people cannot believe you only want to help them?

"I want you to take me to a nearby shop. Magical shop if you want."

"What?"

"I want you to take Jullian and me to a local shop. Magical shop if you can."

"I hear you! But is that it?!"

"Yup! If you don't believe us when you say that we only want to help, then I want you to do something for us! Take us to the local magic shop!"

I smirk a little when I see her look at me as if I'm some kind of alien. However, after I said that, the people who were watching us quickly surrounded me and begged me to help them. I take a deep breath and shout.

"Stop! If you want to be healed, create a line! I will heal you one by one! Jullian! Take care of the one who is not too injured! The one who is heavily injured! Go to me!"

The people quickly make two lines, and I take out a box full of potions for Jullian. I take a deep breath, and we quickly go to work.

~Four hours later~

"Sorry about that."

The little girl, now called Annette or Anny, looked at me with a new light. She patiently waits for us to finish healing all the people coming to us.

"You are really weird."

"What? Me? Weird? Are you sure?"

"Yes! You really heal them without asking for payment?!"

"Yes. I already know they did not have money to pay me, and I know how painful it is to see your life fly away from you, and you can't do anything about it."

"You are weird."

Even when she said that, I could see her smiling.

"If only weird people are willing to help others without compensation, then this world needs more weird people like me!"

After I said that, she started to laugh. After a few seconds, she wipes the tear out of her eyes and says.

"Yeah. This world needs more weirdos like you two."

We continue to walk through the street in silence before Anny suddenly says.

"So! Where are you two from? Also, which noble house are you from?"

"Oh? We are humble commoners, you know?"

"Liar! Your clothes are too clean to be a commoner. Not only that, but you also smell nice. The people already know that you two are noble or at least from a noble family. That blond has the speech of a commoner, but you do not. You speak politely and without the accent of a commoner."

Damn. I know that I should do something about our smell. However, I don't like to smell like dirt and shit. Well, at least we are not getting mugged or something.

"Oh, well. I thought our disguise was good enough."

"Hmph! We are poor, but we are not stupid."

"That you are. Well, let me introduce myself first. My name is Gwyndolin Alexander Cunningham. We are from Cunningham County. The man next to me is Jullian, my right-hand man."

"Gwyndolin… That is too much! I will call you Gwyn instead!"

"Sure. That is what my friend calls me."

"En! Gwyn! Cunningham County, eh? I heard that the people in the South eat humans. Is that true?"

Before I can say something, Jullian shouts at her word.

"No! Where do you hear that?! The people in the South are honorable! We take care of each other!"

"Calm down, Jullian. I know that Anny did not mean it. She is only curious, right?"

Anny nods her head quickly at my word. Jullian, you scare the little girl.

"Anyway, what you heard is wrong. We are just like the people in the north, you know?"

Jullian and Anny snort at my word. What? What happened? Why are you two snorting?

"Good one, young master."

"Heh. I agree. Good one, Gwyn!"

I shake my head and say.

"Anyway, where is the magic shop you talked about?"

"Right! Aunty Hell's shop is around the corner! However, I must tell you something. She has a weird system to sell her items! She did not want money and only wanted to trade items with other items. That is why there are no customers in her shop."

"Really? Interesting."

I have many useless items in my inventory that I can trade. If she has something good, I can take out something from the guild's vault.

Anny takes us inside the building on the corner of the slum, and as we get inside, I can see a familiar face taking what looks like a glove. When Anny gets inside, she quickly says.

"Eh? Aunty Hellel has a customer?!"

I smile a little at her word and look at Catharina.

"Oh? Catharina? Is that you?"

I smile and walk toward her.

"What a small world. What are you buying?"

93