1.1
171 6 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hiya! Just something to note: Arc 1 was written a looong time ago. Feel free to stick around to see how the writing--and intentions for the story--changes ^^.  And sorry for the plot holes--the only way I can keep moving is forward, hahah, so they won't be fixed anytime soon!! But seriously, I note down plotholes to fix for later. All criticism is appreciated.

[Host?]

 

A short, petite male sat in the classroom, sleepily rubbing the morning dew out of his eyes. He had a bird's nest of fluffy black hair, flushed pale cheeks, and red tempting lips.

Contrary to his young age, the student held himself with wisdom and grace, slowly and meticulously completing tasks he was given throughout the day. The youth was very popular in the school, but he was lost in the clouds so often that people didn't want to bother his daydreams. So instead, everyone just admired him from afar. While he rested his head in his arms, he watched his teacher with an unfocused look and listened to the System 85 speaking in his mind.

[H-host?]

'Hm?'

[It's...it's been two weeks since you entered this world and, um, I haven't really noticed any progress towards your missions. You haven't even used your skill yet...]

The system nervously glanced at the male, afraid of his reaction. It's heard many stories of it's coworkers' hosts and the way they manipulate and threaten systems for items and points.

System 85 cautiously took a few steps back, as if his silence would lead to an angry outburst.

'...'

Cautiousness transformed into confusion as it carefully shook it's host.

[Host?]

As the system spoke, the teacher behind him called out the male's body's name at the same time.

"Cedric?"

Cedric slowly raised his head, looked straight passed System 85, and dazedly spoke.

"Did I fall sleep? Sorry Mr. A..."

The teacher shook his head. "It's fine. Just remember to get enough sleep every night."

Cedric gave a nod before planting his face back into his arms. The teacher smiled at him with a helpless look. The youth responded to System 85 inside his mind. 'I was planning to start when summer break begins. That's when the second protagonist begins to transform.'

System 85 held a look of surprise. Cedric could use his skill to infiltrate and accompany the secondary male lead whilst he's ignorant in order to make a good impression. How smart!

Little did the ignorant system know that Cedric was just putting off the missions in order to laze around in his new human body. Oh well.

The final weeks of school slowly trickled by, and System 85 finally realized what kind of person it's host was.

[Hey host, you will do your missions right?]

'Mhm...'

The first week, System 85 made up a plethora of excuses in order to believe that his host was hardworking and active. It constantly asked for assurance out of nervousness.

But then, it realized, that it's host wasn't going to do shit.

And so, the second week rolled by...

[You lazy bum! Get off your goddamn ass and start working towards your missions! I am so sick and tired of watching you sleep and loiter around! You spent 500 years doing this in your old life, why in the hell would want to keep going?!]

The system stomped around the classroom, but no one noticed the disturbance.

...Including Cedric.

The system whipped its head around to see Cedric fast asleep on his desk.

[aaUUUUGHHHRHH]

Quickly after, week 3 was passing through...

[C'mon Cedric, I'll give you double-no, triple of the mission rewards. All I want to see is you doing something other sleep!]

Cedric yawned and rubbed his eyes after finishing his homework. He smiled at the System. 'That's okay System. I don't want you getting in trouble with your higher ups. I don't have a need for points or anything else.'

[System 85 went offline.]

"...?"

The two trudged on into Week 4...

During Lunch, Cedric realized that System 85 stayed back inside the classroom. He approached it and with a poke, gently asked, 'System, are you okay? I haven't seen you around in a while...'

The system just looked at it's host with a deadpan expression.

[What's the point, it's not like you're listening anyway. I should just go resign. All the other systems will laugh and jeer, but that doesn't really matter. I don't care anymore.]

Cedric looked at the system with a sad expression, as if he were a kicked puppy. 'It would make me sad if you left. You're the first friend I've made in the 500 years. I...don't want to be alone again.'

The system looked up with a hopeful expression.

[Really? I mean that much to you?]

Cedric nodded. 'Really.'

[You mean it?]

'I do.'

Week 5 breezed by...

System 85 laid, stomach up on the floor next to Cedric's desk. He let out a relaxed breath.

[Summer break is beginning soon. It's so peaceful. I don't want it to end.]

'Mhm...'

[That means you have to start working, which means I need to start working.]

'Right...' Cedric shifted slightly to look at the System.

'Don't worry. You don't have to work unless I really require assistance.'

He spoke slowly and gently, as if trying to appease the system. It would have bothered System 85, but Cedric speaks in this manner normally.

[Ah.]

'Hm?'

[The bell just rung. It's summer now.]

'I see...'

[...]

[Let's leave after everyone exits.]

'...You're very different from when I first met you.'

[Am I?]

'Mm. But I don't care, because you're my friend. No matter what changes...'

[Cedric.]

'Hm?'

[You're a really sweet guy.]

'That's good. I don't have many friends, so to pass time I would usually think of how I'd treat them.'

System 85's heart squeezed.

[Don't think like that from now on, since you have a friend now. You'll make plenty more in the future as well.]

A content smile appeared on Cedric. 'It's okay. I have you now, so it's fine if I don't make any in the future.'

[Even so, keep in mind that people all around have the possibility of becoming friends with you.]

'Mm.' Cedric slowly raised his head, and looked around.

'We should leave, System.'

The system let out an annoyed sigh.

[Okay...]

Cedric walked out of the classroom, with an invisible system shuffling closely behind him.

14