Ch5 Behind
324 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“My turn let’s go!”

Aisha cried with glee twirling towards the head mistress who halted her advance with a crisp snap of her fingers.   “Halt for a moment fledglings It occurs to me that I’ve made a mistake most unbecoming”  The Chief Sister cleared her throat with a hoarse cough.

“I’m Tomoe,  Tomoe Kusama!  They’re now that introductions are made we can begin the process”

Aisha smiled dulled before being replaced with one of eager anticipation laced with a tinge of nervousness.    The device surged before pulsing with the color of darkness revealing her affinity.

“Yes! Just like daddies!”  Aisha said twirling back to the group with a mighty grin plastered across her face.  

One by one the children approached and had their affinities revealed until only one person remained Mari her curiosity was peaked but there was also a knot in her stomach what if she was didn’t have an affinity.   

She had read about what people call Hollows those who are scorned by the spirits and sentenced to a life devoid of the blessings of magic.   

“Miss Higurashi it’s time please take the position”  The other sister beckoned with stern eyes.  

Steeling her nerves Mari slowly descended her hand upon the service of the device while waiting with baited breath she had long pondered about what affinity might be.   Would she be able to control lightning like The Famous Thunder Princess or maybe bend stone to will like her daddies.

While the object had sprang to life mere moments after the being touched by the other children it remained transluscent and motionless while Mari’s hand lingered upon it’s icy surface.  

“Uh sister what’s happening?”  Mari squeaked

A chorus of gasps erupted from her classmates who began to gossip and bicker among themselves.

“Did I break it?  I’m sorry big sister”  Mari apologized tearfully

“Well this is most curious the Noa Balor never lies nor can it reveal all.”   The chief sister mused

“You don’t think she’s a Hollow do you m’am?”  The younger sister asked with trepidation  

“Could be or she could just be a late bloomer only time will tell”  

The chief sister lowered herself to Mari’s level and ruffled her hair reassuringly like her Papa would

“Take heed child do not concern yourself with the mindless prattling of fools,  I’m am sure that your affinity will make itself known before the festival”   The sister smiled before turning to address the rest of the fledglings.

“Come along children there is still much to attend to and time is passing us by”  The younger sister said ushering the children out of the office while bowing towards the chief sister.  

Mari cast down her head  as butterflies filled her stomach but before any doubts could manifest she felt a sharp slap ripple across her back and the smiling face of Aisha was there to greet her when she turned around.

“Come on Riri you don’t want to be left behind do ya?”  Aisha’s smile widened and before she realized it she was being pulled along.    The day she had dreamed of had finally arrived sweeping to doubts to the furthest corner of her mind Mari nodded  

“As if!” Mari pouted prying herself free and running down the hall leaving her new friend behind.

The day had been extremely eventful and Mari was ready to crawl straight into bed by the time she got home and the familiar sounds of her Papa’s smithy filled her ears and nose.   

“Papa! I’m home!” Mari yawned slouching down the wall in the furthest corner of the smithy.

The rhymical hammering ceased as her Papa wiped the sweat from his brow and turned to give her his full attention.   

“Welcome back kiddo!”

7