Arc II – Interlude – Glowering
588 12 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Radiant Lodestar Aurora Cover

 

Arc 2 - Interlude - Glowering

 

Thick dust wafted off the ground, obscuring her view of her opponent. Her enemy was reduced to nothing but shadows. Tentacles seemingly wreathed from her head, thrashing in the updrafts of the dust devil playing in their midst. It danced in unending circles, rotating faster and faster.

 

She lowered her staff. The gem capping its head flashed in red-tinged sunlight. It was the light of the star that bathed this planet. Gazing upwards, she gazed at the red giant, merrilly burning in the void, scorching the surface of a once verdant world. Her grandmother had told her glowing tales when she was younger, stories of happier times.

 

Once when the star was golden and their world was filled with life, glittering like a gem in the heavens. But that was before the star turned hostile.

 

A flash of movement in the corner of her eye ended her private reveries of a mythical time of prosperity. It was a miracle that her world had survived to this day. The blast had devastated her world when their star threw off its outer layers and filled the sky. Why hadn’t it devoured her world? Why wasn’t their planet consumed? Because they intervened.

 

Her opponent darted through the center of the dust devil, causing it to dissipate. Chi’s flames wreathed her bow and her long blonde hair twisted, writhing in the wind. She raised her staff in defense. Her staff flashed as her enemy drew her bow, screaming before unleashing her attack, “Tiger, Burning Bright!”

 

Her enemy fired. A great cat of fire took form and pounced, a seeming living avatar spawned of magical fire. Her frilled white skirts waved furiously in the blowing wind that gusted across the arena. Her enemy wore a sleek, red dress, sheathing her lithe form. Her beautiful blonde hair was bound in two lovely twintails. Her aura was as bright as her flames.

 

Her hand called her staff to appear, a staff formed from pure, brilliant light. Her light exploded in all directions, creating an impenetrable shield of light to defend herself against the fiery maw of the tiger. The tiger roared, bearing down on her with great force. An ululation shook her shield to its foundations.

 

If she wasn’t an experienced Lodestar, the roar would have shattered her shield and cost her her life, but she knew its user well. Her name was Chi, Lodestar Inferna.

 

Drawing forth the energy around her, flames streamed around Chi’s body. Her light met her fire, pushing her tiger back. 

 

The star above aided her, lending her its strength. Her wings blazed as she absorbed more and more light, filling her with power. Light washed over her body. Light always favored her, more so than any other Lodestar.

 

Her body was now wreathed in dense energy. Her shield shone brighter, resisting Chi’s attack. Her light grew stronger, stronger, ever stronger, answering Chi’s attack with equal power. As she wielded her power, as always, a familiar hymn announced her triumph. Majestic notes rang in her ears.Yet, they lacked their usual joy… There was no glory, no happiness for her today.

 

Was there any other way?

 

Was there nothing else she could do? 

 

Why was her Chi trying to kill her? 

 

The answer was clear, but she didn’t want to accept reality. It was because they ordered her to fight. Chi obeyed. Why? Out of fear? Respect? Gratitude? Fealty?

 

To love is futile. Forming such fleeting bonds will only end in sorrow.

 

She knew that she must end this by any means, but her heart couldn’t muster the strength. Why was this so easy for Chi?

 

Withdrawing her energy in part, she bolstered her shield, all the while hoping for salvation, for happiness…

 

Praying to the sky, she begged the stars. 

 

Desperately, she cast about for some way out. After a moment, an answer came, but not one that she much liked.

 

Light itself was the source of her power, and yet it couldn’t provide her with any answer.  Her light shackled her. It was a curse.

 

The energy, the light within, surged. Something clicked within her.

 

She opened her eyes as everything had ceased to move. Reality had stopped. Her light was frozen in time, fending off Chi’s fire. Her fire was alive, beautiful and vivid like its creator.

 

Her light was a bulwark of unparalleled brilliance. She marveled at the nature of her light. It was there, and yet absent.

 

She moved on, floating through the void to embrace her beloved Chi, the treasure of her life, the light of her soul. Yet there were those who tried to deny her happiness. Angry shades of light circled around her, furiously and viciously attacking her. She repelled their feeble attacks.

 

Had she truly managed to frighten them so much this time? She meant them no harm, and yet… there were times like now… Times when she truly despised them.

 

Stand down, Radiant.

 

She shook her head. No. I will not.

 

They buzzed around her, ever more insistent, and yet in this blessed moment, they could not touch her. She would not be denied her heart’s desire.

 

Now close to her Chi, she stepped close and threw her arms wide open. Love was the answer...

 

But her spell broke. Everything started moving again, time restored. The light that orbited her scattered and time once again resumed. Chi’s attack missed its mark, moving across time and space, beyond the veil of light. Her love’s tiger crashed against her empty shield, hitting nothing but empty space. 

 

Chi turned, abruptly noticing that she wasn’t where she had thought. Chi’s eyes widened in alarm. She drew her bowstring again as she lunged forward.

 

“Chi… come away with me,” she whispered.

 

Chi’s eyes filled with tears as she opened fire, point blank.

 

Her staff fell to the ground. Inert, her gem lost its brilliance.

 

There has to be a better way, right? … Isn't there, my Chi?

 

Her enemy, her love’s attack struck true. Chi’s aim never failed her. Her arrow pierced her chest, ripping a hole straight through her heart. She fell. 

 

There must be a way…  There must be more to life than this …

 

Radiant Lodestar Aurora - Scenebreak

Nya! Here we are, the start of another arc! True story, I wrote many chapters for this arc already (so I have a healthy stockpile) but last night, while discussing with friends, I thought... arc 2 needs to start with something mysterious like arc 1 did. So I hammered out a chapter. I hope you've enjoyed this one!

Update on my condition: Nothing negative has happened in the last week. My car still runs well. I haven't turned to repairing my roof yet, but that's mostly because the temperatures haven't yet risen enough to make the task pleasant. I am considering the matter of giving my house a new coat of paint sometime too, although... I've never done that alone, so that'll be interesting. Plus, like all chores, time consuming.

Anyhow, I'll hop out, get a nice meal after. Here's to a happier and better year for everyone!

27