Arc II – Chapter V – Coming Clean
458 12 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Radiant Lodestar Aurora Cover

 

Arc 2 - Chapter V - Coming Clean

 

The front door opened and closed with a loud clicking noise. Serashina smiled and rose, walking to the arch leading to the living room. “Welcome home, dear,” she greeted.

 

Nick rose to his feet and grinned impulsively. However, Aurora sank a bit lower in her chair.

 

Moments later, a man walked over to Serashina and put his arms around her. They embraced in the arch and the man looked at the table and the people at it with a blank expression, but swiftly put on a smile.

 

“Oh. We have guests!” He laughed in feigned delight.

 

It was Ken’s father, Alexander Hoshino. He had tousled, shaggy brown hair and usually wore a pleasant smile. He wasn’t too happy at the moment, considering that his son was ‘missing.’ Nick’s smile didn’t fade but he couldn’t hide his disappointment that it wasn’t Ken. “Hello.” Oye offered a formal bow, sending his dark hair hanging forward for a moment. “I’m one of Kenneth’s friends at the Academy.”

 

“This young man brought Kenneth’s homework,” Serashina explained with a serious, but pleasant expression.

 

“I see. Thank you for taking the time to bring his homework.” Alexander strode over to Oye and leaned down to flash a grin at his downturned face. He extended a hand and Nick took it with a firm grip, straightening. “I’m Alexander Hoshino.”

 

“Nice to meet you sir. Um… I’m sorry for all our loss here with Ken missing,” Nick said.

 

“Thanks for your thoughts. Hopefully he’ll show up someday. I hope the police find him. I wonder where he could be.” Alexander scratched his head and eyed the table and its lone occupant, noticing Aurora with her unfinished muffin. “Tea and muffins, sweet one?” He looked over his shoulder at Serashina. “Might I have some?”

 

“Of course.” Serashina laughed, hurrying to the cabinet where she kept her muffins. “I simply lost track of the time and forgot to set one out for you.”

 

“How about dinner? What do you have in mind?” Alexander asked hopefully.

 

Serashina laughed softly. “Don't worry, I’ll fix our dinner in a few hours, though considering who we have here…” She looked at Nick and the mysterious girl at her table. “Maybe the muffin has whetted your appetites like my husband’s?”

 

Alexander nodded eagerly. “I got a breakfast sandwich at McDanfils this morning, but that was ages ago.” He laughed ruefully.

 

“I’m sorry that I didn’t make breakfast this morning like usual,” Serashina said with a twist of her mouth.

 

“Don’t worry. I quite understand.” Alexander leaned and kissed his wife’s forehead gently. “I don’t mind eating fast food now and again. Good for the soul if not the body.”

 

Serashina smiled thankfully and looked at Aurora and Nick again, saying, “We typically have our evening meal around now, and I don’t intend to be lazy tonight. I was planning to make a hotpot tonight, actually. Although…” She brushed a finger across her lips thoughtfully. “We’ll have to eat a little more modestly if you stay. Is that fine with you, dear?”

 

“Of course.” Alexander nodded. “We probably overeat sometimes anyway.”

 

“Well? Will you two take our invitation for dinner?” Serashina asked.

 

“Oh…” Nick laughed. “It’s fine, really. My mother already has dinner ready for me at home. Don’t worry.” He sketched another small bow.

 

“Feel free to stay a bit longer, young man. My hotpot is a recipe that was handed down from my mother. Not to mention, I’d love to hear some stories about you and Kenneth at the Academy.” Serashina said.

 

“And who might you be, young woman, Kenneth’s secret girlfriend?” Alexander turned to Aurora, still at the table, his lips twisted in mirth.

 

Aurora hesitated and shook her head negatively. “No. It’s nothing like that. But I do know him.”

 

“Ah… sure.” Nick demurred, “We mostly just play basketball, though.” He was talking to Serashina, but he looked back at Aurora for a moment as he spoke. He was thinking about their quick match.

 

Nick’s eyes widened as something occurred to him, but he focused on Serashina and smoothed his expression. “We mostly tie. Someone will win, and then the other breaks the tie and sometimes moves ahead. I’m sure he’s told you all about our games. We’ve gone out for fast food a few times after our matches, but he never talked much about his family, just mentioning that his parents are very caring, but busy with their careers.”

 

“It’s funny that he talks about you, Jared and Tommy so often.” Alexander looked at Nick and laughed. “He hasn’t said much to his friends about us? Is all the good he can say about us? That we’re consumed by our work? My beloved spends all the time she’s able at home to make sure that we eat well.”

 

Aurora’s mother blushed and gazed at Alexander with honeymoon eyes. She couldn't help smiling and rolling her eyes a bit, looking away so that she wouldn’t offend. If Ken did that, they’d laugh, but she was a stranger to them.

 

“That’s wonderful.” Nick smiled. “My mother does the same, although she’s a bit more relaxed, so I tend to eat out more often.” Nick shrugged. “Erm, well anyway, usually we talk about sports or NBA games. We’d mostly complain about how it's not a very popular sport here in Stellaris.”

 

“Basketball is a fine sport,” Alexander commented, nodding. “I don’t really know why we don’t have our own professional teams.” He shrugged. “It should be more popular but… it is what it is. Probably because the continent is full of eggheads.” He uttered a deprecating laugh. “Perhaps you’ll be the guy that brings the joys of the sport to our humble nation.”

 

“Nah…” Nick laughed, shaking his head. “I’d be honored if I was the one who could bring the joys of basketball to Stellaris, but I think it more likely that I’ll be moving to America in the future where the sport is more well established. I’m planning to apply for a scholarship in California. And from there, who knows, maybe I’ll be scouted by the NBA.”

 

Alexander nodded and grinned. “A sound plan. More thought than Kenneth puts into his future.” He clapped a hand onto Oye’s shoulder approvingly. “Although, I think Kenneth was planning to do much the same. He said it once out of the blue around a mouthful of oatmeal one morning. I guess you two plan to run off together and become big stars, eh?”

 

“Sort of.” Nick nodded. “We’re serious. I still am.”

 

Serashina gave Alexander a gentle kiss on his cheek and gestured with his muffin.

 

Alexander gratefully accepted his muffin and took a big bite out of it. Nick offered another bow and walked back to the table, looking at Aurora curiously, but simply picked up his backpack and slung it over his shoulder. “I should probably head home. Thank you for the snack. It was nice seeing you again, mysterious girl.” He then looked at Serashina and Alexander.

 

“You’re welcome here any time.” Serashina said with a warm smile to Oye.

 

“Thank you.” Nick said simply. “I hope the next time I show up it will be with news of finding Kenneth.”

 

“With any luck.” Alexander grinned at Oye and Serashina offered a warm smile. “I’ll escort you out, young man,” Alexander said to Nick. The two exited through the immaculate arch, finally leaving Aurora alone with her mother.

 

Serashina looked at Aurora with a curious expression. “So quiet. Do you have any interesting stories to share of your time spent with Kenneth?”

 

Her mother seemed convinced that Aurora was his girlfriend now. Great. What else would she have thought when a pretty girl showed up on her doorstep? Aurora took a sip of her presently cold tea and fidgeted a moment before answering, “Um… none really. Well… it’s complicated. I did know him personally… very personally… but it’s not what you’re thinking.” Aurora waved her hands negatively. “I’m not his girlfriend.”

 

“Oh?” Serashina asked, showing some amusement at Aurora’s vehement denial. “So you know my son, but who are you to him exactly?”

 

“Th-that’s the complicated part.” Aurora gritted her teeth in frustration. How should she say it?

 

Aurora heard the front door finally open after the murmur of conversation in the living room died. Was Oye gone or was he hiding around the corner with her father? Aurora’s lips crinkled, but she remained quiet until the front door closed again.

 

“Well?” Serashina pressed, looking annoyed. “Are you delivering a hostage message or something like that?”

 

Shaking her head again, Aurora quickly replied, “No! Not at all. The fact is.. Um… I… I have no way of proving it… and that makes it REALLY hard. Do you know how Nick said that people are disappearing all across Stellaris? Probably everywhere in the world. I don’t think it’s isolated.”

 

Serashina blinked in surprise and nodded. “Yes. Do you know something about these disappearances?”

 

“... sadly… more than most.” Aurora wrapped her arms around her body. “I can’t tell you too much… I mean I can… but… You won’t believe half of it even if I told you.”

 

“...” Serashina frowned and leaned on the table and her eyes narrowed. “Try me. What do you think I wouldn’t believe?”

 

“Look, I know that you’re a scientist. You and your husband. You’re a geologist and… Kenneth’s father is an accomplished mineralist. You’re both highly interested in Stellaris and how it came to be.”

 

“You’ve done your homework, I can say that much. Just answer the question I asked. Don’t hedge. What do you think I wouldn’t believe?”

 

Aurora sighed softly and looked up with a pleading expression. “I know you won’t like what you hear, but here goes the truth... it’s monsters.”

 

“Monsters? You’re claiming that monsters are eating people? Kenneth was eaten?” Serashina rose and slammed her hands on the tabletop. “Nonsense. Childish fancies. You were right in thinking I wouldn’t believe you.”

 

“No, wait a second… no… and yes…” Aurora was stuttering. “... he wasn’t eaten by a monster. But something else happened to him!”

 

“What’s going on here?” Her father was standing in the archway leading to the living room and his eyes were narrowed, his arms crossed.

 

Serashina looked over her shoulder and shook her head. “It’s confusing. But as a scientist I won’t entirely dismiss her claims until disproved.” She took a moment to explain everything to Aurora’s father and when she finished, he shook his head disbelieving and walking over to the table, he pulled out a chair and seated himself, looking squarely at Aurora.

 

“Monsters. Hmmm… Really? Well then… What ‘other thing’ happened to our Kenneth?”

 

Aurora took another sip of tea and moistened her mouth, moving it around her dry mouth before swallowing. “Um…” Aurora cleared her throat. “I’ll come right out and tell you the truth, but I don’t think you’ll believe me at all. I’m… I’m Kenneth.”

 

Her parent’s eyes widened and outrage filled Serashina’s face, but neither spoke.

 

“... The other thing that happened was that I was changed by… how do I even explain this? The thing is… there’s two different groups of aliens on this planet right now. One set are the monsters that are victimizing people… they’re transforming them to be just like them. The other side is… they are fighting against the monsters… and um… it’s EXTREMELY difficult to explain… but… I’ve kind of been… recruited to fight them.”

 

“Recruited?” Serashina and Alexander looked at each other with surprise and started laughing together.

 

“You really expect us to believe what you’re saying? Do you have Kenneth’s student’s id or his phone or anything of his to prove these claims that you are him?” her father asked.

 

Radiant Lodestar Aurora - Scenebreak

 

Still no solution found for the mosquitoes yet. I sprayed Raid all around, including in my bedroom today and spent all the early morning away from my main pc as a result. That kind of sucked.

I've decided when I'll go on my camping trip. That'll happen this Friday. The mornings will still be cool, the days a comfortable temperature. The only thing I'm worried about is how cold I'll be despite the precautions I'll be trying. I just don't want to wait until it gets to be unreasonably hot during the day, so early May seems a fair bet.

Given a lack of interest in my side project, remastering No Face, No Life, I'll happily take my time with that project. There are so many things I want to do and after 4 chapters, I ran into a bit of a block. My way is to wait until inspiration comes or not.

And that's all I have to share this week!

Meow,
Rellawing

21