Chapter 148: Hell
1.1k 11 68
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The subsequent days were even easier than I expected. 

Of the Silver Six books for the Intelligence Academy, the first was the thickest. I had memorized that one in one go, so learning the others was childishly simple, especially since I had comparative ages to do so. 

Even better was the Corporal promotion. I was treated like royalty compared to the other trainees: I got occasional free time, had my own room, and generally wasn’t treated like shit. It was nice. 

However, after a few days passed, Colonel Kotts decided to go off script. I was given three more books to memorize with no explanation. 

He was certainly quite clear on what he expected of me, so I followed orders and read the books. Learning the Silver Six was easy, so learning three more wasn’t hard. 

With that goal, my 30 or so days at the academy passed uneventfully. Since I was so detached from the rest of the class, I didn’t make any friends, unlike at basic training. 

Graduation came fast after I memorized the books and passed the tests with flying colors. On the tenth of September, I, like everyone else, was dressed in Glimmers, shining with water from a light misty rain. The standardized uniform and drab gray skies finally made it so I didn’t stick out like a sore thumb. 

And, one by one, we were all made Ensigns. I sported one pin on my left collar for Intelligence, and one on my right collar for Infantry. My left shoulder had been empty and my right shoulder had the two stripe insignia of a Corporal.

Once finished, we all saluted and were congratulated. 

At the ceremony’s conclusion, I was promptly called up. 

“Corporal.”

“Sir.”

I turned as all the other Ensigns went to speak with their families. 

Colonel Kotts came up to me, handing me a sealed letter. 

“From the General. You have your assignment, and I’ve already got a Rail for you to catch.”

“Thank you, sir.”

“Here’s your ticket. Rail departs at 1400. Get your affairs in order and I’ll meet you there at 1340.”

“Understood sir.”

We saluted each other before he walked off. 

I now had my Glimmers along with warlock fatigues and summoner fatigues. One of them was meant to be worn under armor and the other was like an office suit. My bag bulged at the seams. I’d have to upgrade at some point. 

For the time being, I just threw extra things into the spatial band on my arm. Unlike at basic training, I wasn’t stripped down when I got to this academy. I still carried everything on me. 

While packing though, I found my attention drawn again to those three extra books the Colonel gave me to memorize. 

They were collectively called the Golden Trio, and they were what I assumed to be more advanced material on the inner workings of the military communication network, specifically material developed after Sawn’s widespread deployment of Nodes. 

Communication was vital in a war, and Sawn made it easy. So the military developed protocols for Aerial communication, simultaneously contracting Sawn for standard issue Aerials that could be used for battlefield communications. It was surprisingly similar to radio on earth. 

There was an etiquette to follow, certain lingo to know, technical details about Nodes and how its networking worked. 

But all that stuff comprised just one of three books. The others talked about what we’d need to know as a Captain or Major, specifically how to operate as an tactical field advisor. It went into strategy, the thought process of higher ranks such as I-7s, 8s, 9s, and 10s, and how to properly lead troops in accomplishing set goals. 

In other words, the Golden Trio books were the things higher-ranked Intelligence soldiers would need to know to get promoted. I wasn’t stupid. The Colonel gave me a glimpse of them early. 

I smiled and packed them away before taking a moment to relax. I had time, so I opened my letter and read. 

Assignment details. I was to report to Stronghold Charlie and find Commander Pollux, who I’d be under the command of. There weren’t any other details that told me what I’d be doing. 

I shrugged and threw the letter into my spatial band. Then, I brought up my Aerial, tapping it a few times and seeing messages from Umara and Sawn. 

I checked Umara’s first, smiling at the loving words I saw. Apparently she had already gone on several missions. She was part of a strike force that went out and hunted packs of Scourge beasts that liked to linger beyond the base. It wasn’t unlike what we had occasionally done at the Magisterium. 

Since she was with Tana, I was much less worried than I would have been. They would protect each other with their lives. Besides, I trusted her to handle herself. Warlocks turned knowledge and comprehension into power, and I had given her an arsenal. My expectations of her were high. 

After sending an update, I turned to Sawn’s message. 

Apparently he had gotten in contact with some people and already knew where I was going. He said the workstation was on its way, along with a contract that would make me an employee under Sawn Industries. 

I sent an acknowledgment before pondering what I would do from here on out. 

I wanted to work with Sawn because loads of technology would help humanity. But my own knowledge of engineering was limited, and Sawn already had plenty of magical items that mimicked what I knew, such as Aerials, cars, and Rails, among other things. 

I’d have to find suitable pieces of tech that could be made with the limitations of this world’s current era. I had a few ideas in mind, though they’d have to wait until I got settled at Stronghold Charlie. 

Thinking of that, I tapped my Aerial and pulled up my map, finding Stronghold Charlie on it. 

It was one of the forward bases beyond the River of Desolation, not the deepest into the front lines, but also not in the back. It was somewhere in the middle in terms of depth, located to the extreme west and effectively inside a mountain range. I could imagine just how troublesome the Scourge beasts would be with so many places to hide. The number of hunter-killer missions would be completely unlike anything I’d done before. 

Still, it seemed like a decent place. 

After some time, I headed to the Rail terminal where I found Colonel Kotts waiting. I approached and exchanged salutes. 

“Cooper. Here’s a parting gift.”

He handed me another insignia, the two silver bars of an I-3 Officer.

“I can’t promote you straight to Captain since you have to take a test for that. But since you’ve memorized the Golden Trio, that’ll be easy for you. Put in for it when you get to Stronghold Charlie.”

“Understood.”

“You’ll also want some winter gear. It's blisteringly cold over there. Coats are usually lined with something to protect you, but pants are often overlooked. For now, take this.”

He pushed a folded pair of pants forward, a thick set with a built in White Crystal to power whatever enchantments were weaved in. 

I took it with raised brows.

“Thank you, sir.”

“Of course. You know, I was surprised when I heard you’d be coming to my Fort for the academy. I had some expectations since I’ve heard about some of your achievements. But you surpassed them. You’re a hell of a summoner. I’ll be looking forward to your future.”

“I’ll do my best.”

I just smiled and nodded. This was an unexpected compliment. 

After that we said our goodbyes. I stashed the pants and waited until the Rail showed up. 

It was mostly devoid of people. Cargo would have to keep me company. I just took my seat and waited until it shot off into the tunnels. 

I was a bit excited. It was finally time to start the next stage of my life. Hopefully I wouldn’t get torn in half by some monster in the process. 

……

“I’ll be blunt, kid. I don’t have the energy nor desire to fight to place a talented knight in some rear position.” The General rumbled with a low voice. “I’ve spoken with your father, and I managed to get a hold of you so you at least won’t be thrown into the meatgrinder that is the fight to retake Purple Sky. But that took a lot out of me. Nearly all of the fourth years are dead so there was a lot of competition for the few that were left. If I recall, only 12 of the 23 were actually able to enlist, and only nine were Elites. The other 10 either lost limbs or were driven to some degree of insanity, while another left for the church. Your talent is in high demand, that much is for damned sure.”

The General let out a puff of smoke from a thick cigar. This one was the exact opposite of medicinal. 

Feiden’s nose twitched at the smell as his eyes fell on the three pairs of dragon wings patched to the man’s shoulder, as well as the nametag with “S. Thorn” inscribed on it. Not only was he a General, but he was also a Brigadier. An Authority 10 knight with brains, and a menacing one at that. 

His words made Feiden frown though. 

“Sir, if I may speak.”

“Yes?”

“I also don’t have the desire to be placed into a rear position. Quite the opposite, in fact.”

“Well, your father is asking for your safety. He’s a good friend of mine but it seems he’s being overprotective after the massacre.”

“... My thoughts apparently don’t align with his.”

“Is that right?”

He smirked a bit, Feiden nodding. 

“So? How ambitious are you?”

“Special Operations. I want to meet my friends there.”

“Hoho, quite ambitious indeed. Why, though? What spurred this eagerness to throw yourself into the depths of hell?”

“If Anarchy made me realize anything, it is that the weak mean nothing in this war, both on the human and Scourge side. This is a battle between Kings and Sovereigns. My friends will eventually rise to that level, I have no doubt. So I need to keep up, otherwise I won’t be able to fight with them, let alone protect them. To that end, we’ve all agreed to attempt to enter Special Operations.”

“Hm, yes, I’ve heard about your squad.”

General Thorn rummaged and grabbed a sheet of paper off his desk, glancing at it. 

“The only intact squad after the massacre, comprising four of the nine Elites that entered the military. Either incredibly lucky, or incredibly competent to survive the massacre. No matter what, you five are promising. It’s only unfortunate that Verga has gone back to his Peerage.”

“Mm.”

“So it seems you have high opinions of their talent. Everyone else does, and I’m inclined to agree. Surviving Anarchy is no small feat. And now, I’m pleased to hear that you haven’t had your will to fight cowed. So since your balls are still intact, I’ll put you to the test. I doubt Gurns will mind.”

“...”

Feiden tilted his head as General Thorn tapped his Aerial, making a call. 

A voice came through.

“Thorn? Not the call I expected to receive today.”

“Hello, Gurns. I’ve got an offer.”

“Lay it on me.”

“Some newblood wants a chance at Special Operations. Feiden Desmus, one of the nine Elites we received this year.”

“Oh yeah?”

There was a small chuckle. 

“Hasn’t been neutered by Anarchy like all the others?”

“Nope. Seems like it fanned the flame. He wants to fight.”

“No shit. Well, the prerequisite for even getting looked at is Emission. Can’t take him if he can’t do that.”

“...”

General Thorn glanced at Feiden, who brought up his fingers. 

With a swipe, Vigor swept through the air, a thin blade several feet wide flashing through the air for a few seconds before dissipating. Thorn smiled. 

“He’s reached Emission. He’s also still Authority Five, on the cusp of advancing.”

“Shit. I wish I had that fucking talent!”

“So you’ll take him?”

“Well, if you aren’t going to. Send him over here and I’ll take a look. We’ve lost some men recently with the wave of attacks, and I have a feeling I’m going to need new blood to fill the gaps in our operational capacity.”

“Very well. He’ll be on a Rail by tomorrow.”

The call ended with a succinct goodbye. Thorn and Feiden stared at each other for a bit. 

“Well, you heard him. You won’t be getting slaughtered en masse on the frontlines, but you’ll also be encountering the most dangerous the Scourge has to offer. Those guys can die like all the rest, as they have. So? Still think you’re up for it, even as an Authority Five?”

“Yes.”

Feiden’s answer contained no hesitation. If anything, it was impatient, like he was annoyed Thorn was even asking the question. 

The General smirked. 

“Fine then. Go rest for now. You’ll need it. I’ll have a ticket for you tomorrow. After that, you’re at Gurns’ mercy.”

“Thank you, sir. Though I have to ask. How difficult would it be to offer my squad the same opportunity? If I’m up to standards, then they most certainly are as well.”

“It’s more difficult than you think. I can’t just pull the daughter of a Duchess, and John Cooper has Sovereigns watching him. The only one I could do something about is Tana Choron.”

“... She’s with Umara. It’s better to keep them together.”

“Well that doesn’t leave me many options, does it?”

He chuckled. Feiden lowered his head. 

“Thank you, General Thorn. I appreciate the opportunity.”

“I’ll be waiting to hear good news. Focus on yourself. I’ll give the names to Gurns, so if your friends really are exceptional and express interest, he’ll be able to act. Until then, perhaps you’ll be able to carve out a little spot for your little crew.”

“I’ll do so.”

“Good confidence.”

With a wave and goodbye, Feiden was dismissed. He left the admin building he was in before retiring to his dorm. 

He sat down on his bed, thinking for a few seconds before tapping his Aerial and sending out a message to all those concerned. 

He didn’t think his squad would meet Gurns. But at the very least, names were mentioned and if they really were being watched, then they should know that the path was open. Perhaps it wouldn’t be long then until they all met up with him at Special Operations. 

General Thorn, his father’s friend, turned out to be an exceptionally valuable contact to have. 

After getting some responses and smiling, Feiden shut things down and went to sleep. 

—----------------

The destination was Stronghold Beta. 

It took about a day for him to arrive. When he stepped off the Rail, he was hit by a pleasant chilly breeze. 

Stronghold Beta was one of the deeper military bases. It was located on a central plain not far from the middle of the war front. But it wasn’t as busy as many other bases like Purple Sky. That was because there was a huge dividing canyon between them and Scourge nests. 

That meant most battles were small skirmishes. They happened often, not at any significant scale, and across complex terrain. It was also prolific with skilled fighters on both sides. Royals could be found en masse here, whereas the mindless monster mobs commonly found laying siege to bases were actually rare. 

It was no wonder it was also the headquarters for Kingdom Special Operations. 

“Feiden Desmus.”

Feiden’s head spun when he heard his name. He saw a short man standing not far from him, waiting, no doubt for him. 

Seeing the single sword insignia of an A-10 Brigadier, he snapped off a salute. 

“Sir! Ensign Desmus reporting for duty, sir!”

“Unclench your asshole, Desmus. And follow me.”

The man ordered and waved, Feiden hoisting his bag of gear and following behind. 

The base seemed mostly empty. The only people he saw were sentries in guard towers on the walls. Other than that, there weren’t many walking around, certainly not as busy as somewhere like Purple Sky. 

That wasn’t surprising. Taking down a place like this would bring hardly any value for the Scourge. It couldn’t be sieged due to the nearby terrain, and small teams would have to severely outclass those at the base just to take it down, which wasn’t likely. Feiden didn’t know who was heading the stronghold, but it had to be at least a Marshal. As thus, the atmosphere was generally relaxing. Feiden found it refreshing. 

“For now, you’re only here for an evaluation. It’ll be hard to find you a place here since you’re weaker than the average. Even at Authority 6, you’ll lose your head if you aren’t paying absolute attention to every little detail in a battle. I heard you’re fast on top of your talent, and I’m sure Anarchy did something for your Aura. So my expectations are high, so long as you’ve got the grit to actually get through training. And hopefully, once you get assigned to a task force, you’ll live long enough to become an asset instead of a liability.”

“I won’t fail.”

Feiden responded plainly. He didn’t come here to try. He came here because he was going to become a special operative. The training would be just that. There was no test to be conducted in his mind. 

The Brigadier snorted. 

“Heh, I’m not sure if that monotone voice of yours sounds like arrogance or confidence. You have no idea what you’re stepping into. People think they know what being broken is until they step into my program. What makes you think you’re different?”

“... There was a time not long ago when I thought that I was broken. Then I realized it didn’t matter. So I moved on. Now I’m just doing what I need to do to become better.”

Feiden’ spoke while memories flashed through his mind. 

Losing Mira was perhaps the greatest driving force behind his rationalization of Anarchy. He wanted, so very badly, to make everyone responsible pay with their lives. He wanted to tear apart every incompetent bastard on that base, slaughter every last Magisterium student, and then depart to the afterlife so he could slap Mira for being such an idiot. 

He couldn’t have fathomed the all-consuming rage, nor the desperate desire for the deaths of those he once held dear. He felt like if he couldn’t send everyone to hell himself, he’d just end his own life. What was the point in being such a weak failure of a man?

But he realized during that process that those thoughts were… idiotic, pointless, and just as weak as those he hated. 

He couldn’t dwell on it. He couldn’t afford to. He had failed to protect one of the people he loved. That was his fault, and now, he was required to live the rest of his life in pursuit of strength so that it wouldn’t happen again. No matter how little, he would make sure that his life provided some value to those he cared about, or he would die trying. 

Being broken? So what if he was? 

He smiled just a bit toward the Brigadier.

“You can certainly try, sir. I’ll take the challenge.”

“Is that right…”

Feiden saw him smile a bit and sighed. Now he was really in for it.

After that, there was nothing but silence as they walked to what seemed like a training ground. The floor was entirely metal, and in the middle of the area was a tall metal obelisk with deep enchanted engravings on it. It produced a dense field of power around it. 

There were currently only two people in the grounds, and both of them were knights, sweating as they did some sword exercises. 

The Brigadier walked up to a nearby console, tapping it a few times until the field around the obelisk vanished. 

The two men in the field lifted their heads and looked toward them questioningly. 

The Brigadier pointed. 

“Leave your bag here and step just inside the circle around the obelisk.”

“Yes sir.”

Feiden saluted quickly before dropping his bag and walking over. 

There was a large circle drawn on the floor around the obelisk about 50 yards from it. The metal-floored training ground wasn’t that much larger than the circle. 

Feiden stepped within the circle while the two other men stepped out. There were some items for training within the circle such as dummies and an obstacle course, among other things. 

Once he stepped past the line, he waited, looking around. Then, without warning, the obelisk flashed. 

The air around Feiden compressed for a moment before dispersing, rushing out of his lungs in one incredible gust. Simultaneously, he felt himself get a dozen times heavier, the still-increasing gravity of the area slamming his kneecaps into the metal floor with such force they shattered under his weight. 

“AARGH!”

He let out a long painful groan. It was more shocking than anything as the pain lapsed his consciousness for a few seconds before he regained his bearings. 

His body trembled as he flattened on the floor. Even with his strength, he felt like he could barely crawl. And his broken kneecaps made everything worse. No position relieved any of the pain. 

Even activating his Vigor was difficult. It was like it was affected by the gravity too. His power was being suppressed, barely able to keep him together. 

He heard the Brigadier walking over, stepping into the circle and smiling at him. It didn’t even look like he felt anything. 

“You better get used to this, because you’ll be here often. For now, I’ll give you your first objective. Touch the obelisk, and it’ll shut down. After that, you can get your knees treated. Our healers here are some of the best. Or, you can crawl out, and I’ll put you on a Rail straight back to the rear. With your broken kneecaps, of course.”

He waved and walked off the grounds. 

“I look forward to your performance.”

“...”

Feiden grit his teeth, straining to even lift his neck. 

Then, he moved his arm, palms slamming down into the metal, and pulled. 

68