Chapter 9 – Lunch With the Parents
1.9k 30 100
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Needless to say, we didn’t really have much in the way of small talk at the table while Delilah serenely hummed to herself in the kitchen. Liz and I had some kind of awkwardness between us, no doubt due to the blunder of mine a few minutes ago. I got too caught up in the moment and just kept talking, then suddenly inside thoughts became outside thoughts.

I wonder if Liz thinks I’m some kind of pervert. Wait… upon self-reflection, I probably am though. I got railed by a werewolf on the floor of my friend’s barn and enjoyed it. A lot. I then woke up in bed with someone that I did not know, and my response was to snuggle in. Oh jeez, I even felt excited at the prospect of a morning-after romp. It didn’t turn out that way, clearly, but I was thinking about it at the time. 

Yup, if Liz thinks that I’m some pervert then she would be right. That might not be a bad thing, sure, but I’d rather that not be my first impression with someone. Someone who is going to be involved with my Were training. Well, life goes on. 

That does make me think though, what kind of Were am I even? Liz is a wolf, Damian is a fox, Delilah is… I looked over to her in the kitchen. She was chopping up some lettuce at the moment, happily grinning. I didn’t actually know what kind she was either. Well, I’m sure I’ll find out at some point. I’m actually kind of excited to learn what kind I am. 

Would I be something cute? I hope so. There are all kinds of cute animals. Foxes, dogs, cats, ferrets, bunnies, hedgehogs, or heck I’d even be happy with a cow. If I had a cow as my animal, I would be pretty… beefy. 

I struggled to keep my laughter from being out loud. I could snicker at my own jokes in my head. It gets awkward trying to explain what I was laughing at when I was just enjoying my inner monologue. 

Speaking of cows, I should ask my friends if Olive is okay. Since she landed on a hay bale, she should have been able to get out okay. My hope was that after she tried to help only to get tossed away with minimal effort, she realized that it may be best to stay down. If I was a two-thousand pound cow and got pitched across a room, I too would feel like I was in over my head. That, or she may have been unconscious. Poor Olive, I should ask my friends if she is-

Shit! My friends! I was supposed to tell them what I was going to be doing. Actually, what am I doing? I looked back to Delilah, who seemed to be assembling some sandwiches from the ingredients she had been preparing while I was lost in my thoughts. I called out to her loud enough to be heard over the distance that we were apart, maybe twenty feet or so. “Hey Delilah, may I ask you something?”

Delilah paused, her humming that was filling the air ceasing as well. “By all means Sam, ask away.” Her casual smile made her feel very welcoming.

I got straight to the point with my concern. “So, the reason why I am so far away from home is that my friends and I had come over to this area to visit one of their family farms. My friends are currently waiting for me to be joining them back at said farm. I told them that I would ask if you would give me a ride back there, but I’m not sure if that is the best idea. What should I even do about this?”

Delilah pondered for a moment, a finger on her chin. “Do you think…” She paused, seeming to be picking her next words carefully. “Will they still recognize you?”

I had already had that thought, so I voiced my opinion, “I don’t think that there will be any trouble recognizing me. Like I had said before, I’m trans and had been transitioning for years. I was already quite feminine even before these more magical enhancements. That said, I looked at myself in the mirror and even I could tell that the change was pretty noticeable. Like, the bone structure looked visibly different, if only a little bit. I could tell that I looked different, maybe a bit more like my mother, and I didn’t look at my face that often. My friends are also my coworkers. They’ve seen my face ten times as much as I have. It would be difficult to run those changes by them without them noticing.”

“Also,” I glanced down, then returned to looking at Delilah, “My chest and hips are noticeably bigger. I don’t know how much of that is clear to other people looking, but it feels pretty obvious to me.”

A thoughtful frown on her face, Delilah closed her eyes for a moment. Not too long after, she opened them again. “Give me some time to think about that. We can touch on the subject again after we’ve eaten. For now, maybe tell them that you are still alright just to be sure that they don’t get too worried again?”

That seemed reasonable enough to me for right now. I nodded at Delilah and responded, “That seems like a good start at least. I’ll send them something to buy us some time.” 

Smiling once again, Delilah said, “That should do for now. I’ll get the food ready, so you take your time with that.” She looked over to the silent Liz that had a rather complicated expression aimed at a distant wall. “Liz dear, would you be so kind as to get the plates and bowls ready for us?”

Liz brought her attention back over to her mother and nodded. “Yes mom, I’ll get the dishes ready.” Liz somewhat stiffly stood up and walked over to the kitchen.

I really wondered what was going through her head, but I needed to get a message sent to my friends before they ended up grumpy that I didn’t message them back when I told them I would. I pulled out my phone from my pocket. It was just over an hour after we had spoken on the phone, so I should be in the clear. 

Raising my phone up, I took a cute selfie that I intended to send to the group chat letting them know that I was about to have lunch, then I would let them know what was happening. I put a filter on the selfie that was one of those that were a little wacky and had a lot going on. It also added a metric ton of blush and other effects to my face. I was still recognizable, but it was enough of a filtered version that they shouldn’t be able to pick out the actual physical changes that had happened.

I sent the selfie with a caption that read ‘Having lunch with Liz and her mom! Let you know what’s going on afterwards!’ I also saved the picture to my phone. It was the first picture taken of myself now that I’ve got this new body. I had to save that as a commemorative moment. 

Liz came to the table, carrying three plates with some generously packed sandwiches. I put away my phone while she was placing the plates at each of our spots, as well as the spot to my right. The lack of a fourth plate for Damian piqued my interest. I remembered that he said he would be in his study waiting for me when he was ready.

Trying my best to be casual, I asked Liz who was about to walk back into the kitchen, “Liz, is your dad not going to be joining us for lunch?” 

She tensed up and looked almost a little scared. I didn’t really understand what was happening, and Delilah stepped in before I could really put any thoughts together. “Oh, my poor husband is resting. He has been working himself so hard since yesterday, he was completely exhausted. I insisted that he get some rest. No need for concern on his behalf. He will be fine once he has had some time to recuperate.”

That was weird. What delilah said made sense enough, but the way that Liz reacted when I asked was very strange. It probably isn’t a good idea to read too far into that though. I’ve got to rely on these people to teach me how to not die to unknown supernatural horrors, so it would be best not to pry into something that is clearly a touchy subject for some reason. 

Disregarding my thoughts, I simply said, “Okay, thank you for letting me know.”

Unphased by the unusual atmosphere that appeared a moment ago, Delilah’s smile widened. “It’s no problem dear. Now, what would you like to drink? We have iced tea, milk, orange juice…” Trailing off, she waited for me to respond. 

“Iced tea would be great please.” I smiled back at her, in spite of my curiosity at the look of relief that I could see on Liz off to the side.

Already heading towards the fridge, Delilah called back, “Will do! Just sit tight and everything should be ready in just a moment.”

A moment later, a buzzing on my leg signaled that I probably got a message from the group chat. I brought my phone out again and checked the message. Sure enough it was from Lexi.

[1:12 PM] Lexi: Damn! You’re already meeting her parents over lunch? Just marry her already while you’re at it ;p

And then another came in from Jenny.

[1:13 PM] Jenny: She grew up so fast. I’ll start working on a flower arrangement for the bouquet.

No doubt they were giggling amongst themselves as more messages came flooding in of them teasing me. I sighed languidly. At least they weren’t worried anymore. Still, they weren’t going to let me live this down for a while at this rate.

Delilah, having taken the seat to my right, asked with concern, “Sam, is everything alright?”

I nodded wearily. “Yeah, there isn’t anything wrong. Besides the fact that my friends are all teasing me pretty intensely now.”

“Teasing?” Delilah tilted her head to the side a bit with less concern. 

“Yeah… I told them earlier that the reason I disappeared last night was because I hooked up with Liz, which… isn’t entirely untrue.”

Delilah seemed to be struggling to hold back laughter, and I could see Liz off to the side at the kitchen island with a deer in the headlights kinda look.

I continued begrudgingly, “I just sent them a selfie a few minutes ago so that they know I’m okay. I also sent that I was about to have lunch with Liz and her mother, and now they’re having fun teasing me about the whole thing from the way they see it.”

Through sheer force of will, Delilah resisted the urge she obviously had to laugh. With a strained calm to her voice, she stumbled out, “Sam, I don’t think they would be your friends if they didn’t react like that with what you told them.” She finally relented and had a short giggle to herself. 

After getting it out of her system, she carried on, “Truly, I am glad that you have managed to avoid a situation where they have some kind of misunderstanding. You made a good call framing the story like that. I don’t think there would be much else that would be able to convince people that there was nothing to fear about your sudden disappearance so far from home.”

I dejectedly sighed. “I’m never going to hear the end of it.”

She shrugged. “They will tire of it eventually. Anyway, let us eat. We can resume some important topics once we’ve eaten our fill.”

Liz had been busying herself by pouring beverages for all of us. She brought the three glasses to the table and placed them in front of each of our seats. At some point, bowls filled with potato salad were also set at the table. Liz clearly had a dusting of red on her cheeks as she tried to act natural. I couldn’t blame her. I was also a bit red in the face. It seemed to be a new trend we were a part of.

All of the places being set, Liz sat down across from me. The only unoccupied seat was to my left, the seat with the apron still laying across the back from before. 

Delilah clapped her hands together to get our attention, which startled Liz and I somewhat. “Okay, let us put other topics on hold for now. Everyone dig in!”

Taking the opportunity to ignore embarrassment that would no doubt catch back up to me, I focused on the meal in front of me. “Thank you for lunch Delilah, Liz.”

Delilah brushed it off with a bright smile. Liz blushed a bit more red though, and only mumbled, “You’re welcome.”

As could be expected, it was really good. Fresh produce, baked chicken instead of deli meat, and potato salad. The upper bounds for potato salad and a sandwich can only go so high, but it was good.

We ate in relative silence, not really ready to have another important talk while trying to eat. Once the meal was picked clean by all present, Delilah stood up from her place and gathered the dishes. She brought them over to the dishwasher that was in the kitchen island, getting ready to put them through a wash cycle along with the ones from breakfast.

Pressing the buttons on the appliance to get it started, Delilah closed the door and walked back over to the table. “Alright, now that we’ve had a good lunch would you like to head back into the sitting room where it might be more comfortable?”

Not one to refuse enjoying a comfy couch, I nodded. “Sure,” I replied simply.

Delilah started making her way to the next room, not waiting up for Liz or I who were still sitting. We stood up roughly around the same time and followed behind Delilah. Liz stayed back long enough to let me go first, and the short journey was already nearly over.

Upon entering the room, I saw Delilah working with the fireplace. It had burned down to cinders since the last time a log had been put on it. I sat back on the couch that I had frequented recently. Seeing no reason not to, I chose the spot closest to the fire. Liz trailed past and sat on the opposite couch yet again.

Delilah finished tending to the fire soon after, having already gotten a new pile of kindling and logs in position. She sat back down to my right with her hands folded on her lap. “Regarding the question that you had for me previously, I believe that it would be in your best interest to find some excuse to tell your friends that you had to head home. From what you told me earlier, it is likely that your friends will notice the changes easily. It might be the best course of action for you to find some way to excuse yourself to go home and prepare in some way.” 

I was worried that she would say something like that. I managed to convince my friends that I disappeared in the middle of the night for a hookup, but convincing them that I then had to suddenly travel four hours home by myself without my own car being here was a stretch and a half.

Voicing my earlier concerns, “So, I take it that means it isn’t safe to just tell them that I magically transformed?”

Giving a so-so gesture, Delilah responded, “Technically it is safe to do so, but I do not recommend that. As things stand, your friends have not likely been exposed to the supernatural. If you mean to tell them the truth and expose your secrets to them, there aren’t any rules or laws that dictate a consequence.” 

A sudden grimness clouded her face, and she continued slowly, “However, once they have been exposed to the supernatural, once their eyes have been opened to what lies on the other side of the Veil, they will inevitably become targets of beings who otherwise would not be able to harm them.”

Holy shit, that clearly had some layers to it. I shook my head fervently. “No, I don’t want to do that. Not at all. I can’t put them in that kind of danger. But…”

I looked thoughtfully at the ground, trying to piece my jumbled ideas together. “How am I going to tell them that I am suddenly needed at home four hours away? It might be pretty suspicious to tell them that the girl I told them I hooked up with was offering to give me a ride that far away.”

Delilah nodded seriously. “Yes, it very well might. I don’t have any better recommendation for you than that, so that’s what you may have to do anyway.”

Yeah, I couldn’t really think of anything much better myself. At least I had an idea for a probable cause to head home. “I could tell them that my neighbor messaged me about a fire at my place. Say that a fire truck showed up in front of my place and they were worried about me. I could pass that off later as a false alarm with a trash fire or something. It isn’t perfect, but it’s alright I think.”

Considering my suggestion for a few moments, Delilah responded, “That should be good enough. I can’t think of anything better. Now, as for what you can do to prepare for when you next see them…” 

She paused, thinking for a moment before continuing. “Do you know how to apply makeup? Even a simple face of makeup could be an effective means of changing the apparent structure of one’s face.”

What did she mean by simple exactly? I knew some basics that I learned from Lexi and Jenny. I probably couldn’t contour my face to the point of looking like a different person, but I could at least use some foundation and blush or something. 

Feeling the need to clarify, I asked, “How much are we talking here? I know enough to put some on, but not enough to completely change my face.”

“That should be enough,” she said without hesitation. “I learned from my husband that you no longer need glasses. Tell them you switched to contacts. Between that and a bit of makeup, you’ll have plenty of excuses as to why you look different. Those two things can do a lot for someone to change their appearance.”

That actually sounded pretty solid. People tended to look pretty different even just with or without glasses. With even a plain application of makeup, I could really make that work. That was the worst part of it too. I could just wear some of my thick, poofy sweaters and a sports bra to disguise my breasts. My hips… Okay, maybe I would just be hopeful that nobody frequented looking at my butt.

“I think that might just work,” I said slowly.

Grinning slightly again, Delilah said, “Good, I’m glad we have that out of the way.” She readjusted her posture to face me a little bit more directly from her seated position. “We need to discuss your training.”

Letting her words hang in the air for a moment, Delilah continued, “My husband and I are concerned about the unique nature of your awakening. We have never known a Were to demonstrate any meaningful physical changes before at least half a year of training. That you have shifted nearly your entire body almost immediately is shocking.” Her expression turned a little grim again. “We do not know if that bears any ill tidings or it simply marks you as some sort of unheard of prodigy. Either way, we think it may be best to seek additional support from some of the contacts that we have.”

I frowned, unsure what to think about that. “What does that mean? What kind of support are you talking about?”

She answered seriously, “We wish to speak with others that we know about the details of your awakening. It may prove useful to gain additional insight from the more scholarly types that study the supernatural.” Her eyes hardened. “However, doing this would expose your situation to more prying eyes. It could just as well put you in more danger than it could bring you answers.”

I broke eye contact and looked aimlessly off to the side. So, we could either get an outside opinion that could help just as well as hurt, or we could go without and fly blind. 

“We think it would only be right to let you decide what we do about this. It could put you in unneeded danger. It could also reveal a danger that we are unaware of. There is no way to know until it happens.” Delilah looked unsure for a moment, then returned to her more serious expression. “We think that it would be best to at least include a trusted friend of ours. He is the safest person that we can think of to involve in this without it getting out to the community at large. We needed to inquire about Liz with him as well, so it would be a good start.”

This seemed like a rather large decision to make. I had no idea how to weigh the risk of any options here. I didn’t know what kind of community supernatural creatures had. I’d read plenty of books and seen enough shows to know that it was probably something rather secretive, but I had no idea what conclusions to draw. I also had no idea what kind of risks I could face being some special kind of Were with no guidance. I really would rather not end up as a supernatural lab rat, but I think that Delilah wouldn’t suggest the option unless she had a good idea that it would reveal something of interest. 

I questioned her motives for just a second, worried that she might just be trying to hand me off as a lab rat anyway. I shook that off quickly though. No point in doubting her now. I still had some internal sense that she could be trusted, and even if that was something implanted in me I don’t think I could do anything about it. 

Ultimately deciding to defer to her more informed suggestion, I looked back at Delilah and nodded. “Yeah, that is probably for the best. If you trust that friend enough to ask about Liz as well, then that’s as good as I can hope for.” 

Delilah nodded in return. “Then that is what we shall do. My husband and I will travel to meet our friend and seek his wisdom. Unfortunately, he lives entirely off the grid. He is rather attached to the old ways, and technology doesn’t suit him very well. It will take a few weeks to reach him, and likely a few more to get back.”

I tilted my head questioningly. “Wait, so does that mean we are going to be putting off that training that you were talking about until you get back?”

A suspiciously kind smile adorned Delilah’s lips, which worried me a little. “Of course not! You will begin your training as soon as you settle back at home.”

“Then who-”

“Why, Liz of course will teach you.” She looked over to Liz with that same smile. Turning to look at Liz as well, I could see the clear fear and anxiety that caused her to tense up. “Daughter dear, you know more than enough to get Sam through the early parts of her studies at least. We can trust you to take care of her while your father and I are away, yes?”

Briefly hesitating, Liz mumbled out, “Y- Yes… Mom.” She seemed to deflate, looking defeated. 

Liz would be the one to teach me? That… didn’t sound so bad. That meant that I would get to spend more time with her. Somewhere inside me, that made me really happy. I hugged my arm to my chest as I tried to sort through what the heck I was feeling.

Delilah, unaware of my inner turmoil, or maybe in spite of it, clapped her hands together happily. “Alright! With that all out of the way, let’s start with some preparations. Liz, pack some luggage for yourself. You will be spending at least a month out of town, so make sure that you bring everything that you will need for the next while.” 

Standing up from the couch beside me, Delilah offered me her hand once again. “Sam my dear, let’s get you something that you can wear for now. We can’t have you going out on a trip back home looking like you just woke up.” She started pulling me along as soon as I got to my feet. “You aren’t too far off, so you might be able to fit in some things from my wardrobe. We will have to see what we can find!”

Before we had completely left the room, we came to a stop. Delilah looked back over at Liz, who upon looking over to her myself I saw to still be sitting on the couch in roughly the same posture as earlier. Delilah spared no courtesy for what might be running through Liz’s head and called out, “Liz dear, don’t forget to pack enough changes of underwear!”

Liz whipped her head over to look at her mom. Appalled and blushing, Liz shouted, “Mom!”

“I’m only looking out for you dear! Now come on, we have a lot to do to make sure Sam doesn’t get home too late!” Delilah turned back and pulled me by the arm out of the room. 

The last thing that I saw was a conflicted look on Liz’s face, who had lowered her head a little. Before I could put much more thought into anything, we turned the corner in the entrance hall and made our way up the stairs. 

Oh my goodness, proofreading back over this before getting this chapter ready to publish makes me so happy. They are so damn cute! I hope that you enjoy their antics as much as I do!

So, as some of you may have predicted, Liz gets to be Sam's mentor. Oh how very awkward for them. I'm not sorry. I so very much look forward to getting that section done.

What kind of journey do you think Damian and Delilah will have to take in order to find this friend of theirs? Where might a supernatural researcher hide away from the world?

Anyways, thank you very much again for reading! Look forward to next week! That one is shaping up to be... very special. I'm excited at least :p

See you then!

100