11: Jorgen
729 2 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"What of mom and the others" I ask Jorgen. "Are you going to take care of them too"

"No" he says "Your mother and your little sister is with a guy called Hagar. Your brother Sten ended with a family I don't know and it was decided that even though Lod isn't at the age where you'd expect him to live by himself, he is an adult after all and will take over your old house"

"Is Hagar a good guy?" I ask, fearing a little for the well-being of my mother and sister.

He slaps me over the head. It didn't hurt a whole lot but was still painful.

"Your brother wasn't kidding about a lack of respect. I don't know how lovely Luvia raised an improper brat like you, but I'll take it into my own hands to fix it." I caress the spot he hit to ease pain, but he continues. Ridiculous, it is disrespectful to refer to him by name even if he isn't here? "Still, good of you to worry about your family, that's a fine trait. Fear not, for Hagar is one of the most dutiful of his generation." A sharp look suddenly enters his eyes. "More than your father at least".

My father. Not that I really know anything about him, but was he irresponsible? He did bring home food for my family every day.

"What was wrong with my father?"

"He wasted his youth, didn't train a lick as a young adult. He was always the weakest and dragged the rest of us down because he needed more food than he earned. On his days off, he still didn't train and spent it with his drinking buddies".

I knew father had days off because I'd sometimes see him at home between lunch and dinner, but he still wasn't that much there. So he went drinking huh? Was I in a dysfunctional household or is it normal? But more than that, there's one think I can't let go, as I saw it myself in action.

"My father wasn't weak! He could lift all of the heavy furniture really easily!" PANG! Another hit over the head.

"You just think that because you are a kid, listen to your elders" I feel like this is going to be a downgrade from my previous family. Still, my argument didn't phase him? Is it common for people to be that strong in this world? Was my father really weak. 

"Pray you only inherited his hair and eyes, now let's go fetch your stuff from your previous home".

I had green eyes and red hair like my father. Because he didn't do much for me, this is probably the only thing I will have inherited from him.

We arrive at my house, and I fetch what little I think is mine. 3 tunics and 2 cloths, which are used to bind around the groin. Children don't get pants, even Lod doesn't have any yet. I am wearing my shoes, and I fetch my pinwheel, which I decided to keep for some reason.

When I exit, Jorgen looks confused "Is that it?" he asks.

I just nod my head.

"No wooden swords or dolls? No accessories" Sword I could understand. I have often spotted other boys playfighting with such thing. But dolls or accessories? What am I, a girl?

"Don't have" I say. Maybe I haven't received what is common for a child since the shoes were expensive? The other kids are wearing only cloths wrapped around their feet after all.

"By God, Karar, at least have the sensibility to get your kid a sword" Jorgen says while shaking his head.

"Now, let's head to your new home" he says, turns around and we walk back the way we came.

On the way, we meet mother, walking with a man who seems to be around her age, which is around 35 now. I think I should up my act as a kid, given I am going to a new home, so I run towards her, into her arms. She appears a little surprised, but quickly adapts and starts caressing my head. "Don't worry", she says in calming tone. "We will still live in the same village. You can come see me or Vella whenever you want". I look at Vella, my little sister, now soon at her second children's festival so she is still less than two years old. My mother is holding her with her other arm and I look at her and caress her head. She was a new experience for me, and I am genuinely sad to let this little cutie out of my life.

"Lavia, don't spoil him" Jorgen says. "And I don't know about letting him see you whenever he wants. I have plans for this little fellow."

"Old Man Jorgen, he's a good kid. He doesn't cause much trouble or ask for much, so go easy on him, okay?"

"That's up for me to decided. He's mine now." Is it just me, or does that line sound off? "Enough with that" he continues, pulling me out of the embrace I hadn't released myself from "We're heading to my home now"

As I am begrudingly following him, I cast my eyes back to mother and they only meet my little sisters eyes. She looks shocked. Jorgen's harsh tone probably spooked her, seeing as after we move a little further apart, I can hear a faint crying.

10