Chapter 35: Zombies Roam
765 1 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“4 short left no cut into 2 right near hairpin, logs on outside” blares the co-driver from the TV, as a slot the Lancia Fulvia’s right side wheels into the ditch to hook the car in line with the corner. “5 right 200 to finish” he blurts out authoritatively. I stick the car in a slight slide and cross between the timing gate signs. “Good run, Fastest time”

 

I place the controller down on the bed and wipe my brow with a green hand. Becoming a zombie may have taken my voice but it hasn’t taken my skills with a controller. I stood and turned around to make the bed up again, my tossing and turning with the controller had messed it up more than my tossing and turning whilst asleep did. I peep out the window and see grey clouds overhead and the balcony frosted up. The weather was only gonna get colder and frostier from this point on. We’ve been lucky to keep it away till now. What a terrible time to be cleared to actually go places, I had been given my free reign to leave the school grounds a couple of days ago.

 

thump

 

I hear something land on the roof of my room, and a gloved arm knocks on my window door. I slide it open and watch Erina dive and land rolling on the icy surface outside.

 

“Hey Sylvieeeeee one more dayyyyyyy” she giggles, her christmas hat bobble sparkling in the reflection of my room lights. I nod, despite not being too in the festive mood. “Brrr its cold out today. Can I show you a trick?” She rubs her gloved hands together and I notice tiny sparks glowing in them. Erina then lets out a small lick of flame from her mouth and suddenly the gloves are alight with small gentle flames. A waft of her scaly wings sends her a few metres in the air where she engages in an aerial lightshow, spinning and diving like a catherine wheel. At some point her christmas hat falls and I catch it before the wind takes it. The previously shimmering bobble now glowing with tiny sparks and dancing flames. Its warm in my cold hands. She eventually calms down and flops down on the now bone dry floor of the balcony. “Impressive right?” she winks at me and it takes all my strength and will not to kiss her stupid dumb face right there.

 

“You have too much energy for the morning” Maeve wanders over from her room with a bemused smirk on her face. “Leave some festive cheer for the rest of us you big winged oaf” she giggled.

 

“But Maeveeeeee” She puts on a childlike voice. “Its so sooooooooon” She leans down and I place her hat back on her head. “Plus I kinda never really got to celebrate it very often before” I pinch her cheek gently. “Ow”

 

A train horn sounds in the distance. “Do you still believe in Santa, Erina?”

 

“Of course, although Amazon put him out of a job sadly” she says, with a straight face. Maeve nods sagely to my left.

 

“Internet ordering put the old fella out of business just under a decade ago. You didn’t know this?” Her lovely Irish accent makes every word into a singalong.

 

I shook my head. “I was dead remember”

 

“Ah, well he was probably glad to have the break I reckon” Maeve coughs awkwardly. “Lets go inside, its too cold to chat out here, especially for you miss cold blooded” She nods in Erina’s direction.

 

“I’m fiiiiine, just gotta keep the fire burning” She breathes out whisps of flame that dance down her arms. “What are we up to today then? I’m bored of watching films on the internet”

 

I’m bored too

 

“I saw something about a new arcade opening in town. Why dont I call a cab?”

 

“Ooh, no need!” Erina flexes. “I’ll carry us” She lifts into the air with a whoosh.

 

“Pump the brakes there Erina. You might be able to survive up there but I’d freeze my arse off”. Maeve pulls out her phone and loads up an app. Erina pokes her tongue out at Maeve. 

 

“Benefits of being a dragon or a zombie, the cold doesn’t matter” She mutters.

 

“Would matter to you if you ran out of fire”

 

***

 

A figure leaps off the back of the train as it passes through the small woods. Feet crunching the frosty ground underneath him. He slunk to all fours and sniffed the ground. 

 

“Not recent” he growled, before melting into the undergrowth.

 

***

 

After getting changed into some more appropriate clothing. (Although I did wish it were appropriate to just wear pyjama pants everywhere) I met Maeve and Erina down by the school entrance. Maeve had changed to her black jeans and typical purple and black hoodie. Whilst I had gotten a dark red dress, denim jacket and leggings on.

 

“Looking good there Sylvie” Maeve winked. “Your style is so old school. Very femme” The taxi silently slides to a halt next to her, lightbar on the front pulsing gently. She opens the door and asks the driver if this is their ride.

 

I’ll never get used to these” I climb inside the massive car, and boggle at the various screens and displays in front of the driver.

 

“Have you moved here fro-” the driver turns to look at me and pauses. “Miss? You don’t-”

 

Sorry

 

“No no! I apologise. You just gave me a spook thats all'' The older looking gent had a slight accent I could not place, but he was dressed very well. Makes me wonder how much money Maeve has. I slide across the seats to the other side as Erina ducks inside, having tucked away her wings.

 

“Maeve this is posh! How much money do you have?” Erina being her usual cute blunt self.

 

“All from my little pot of gold my great great great great great grandparents stole from the Leprechauns a few hundred years back” She says without flinching as she sits down and closes the door. “Onwards please Maciek!”

 

“Yes Ma’am!” All of a sudden a shiver runs down my back, enough that I couldn’t help but feel a bad sinking feeling in my stomach. Something was up, but I couldn’t tell what.

 

***

 

The figure stood on top of the building, watching the target get into a vehicle with two other documented unfortunates. “A sky-treader, and a head roller” He mutters, shaking his head. This job just got more difficult.

 

Announcement
Sorry this is a little short, and has taken some time. Getting my writing mojo back is hard, as well as starting my Christmas break ill didnt help!
23