4. Can I have some cushion?
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kiryin's plea hung heavy in the air as he cautiously stepped forward, his hands trembling. The robed figures and knights exchanged glances, their eyes filled with suspicion and curiosity. The man with the control over fire, who had called Kiryin out, lowered his hand, extinguishing the flame. His expression softened slightly, revealing a mix of caution and intrigue..

"Who are you?"

The people in the caravan were all looking at him while some guards were looking around expecting some kind of ambush from the forests. The ones in the luxurious wagon, also separated the velvet curtains and looked towards him. Even though Kiryin, couldn't see the faces as he would have to turn his head a little, but his peripheral vision was enough to notify him that someone was seeing him from there.

Kiryin took a deep breath, summoning all his courage. He knew he had to be careful with his words, choosing them wisely to avoid further alarming these strangers.

"My name is Kiryin, and I... I don't know how I ended up here,"

The robed figures and knights exchanged more glances, their gazes filled with skepticism. There was one man leading the team and he even had a red robe behind his armor. His didn't wear gauntlets nor leg bracers. He had above average build and was sitting on a horse. He had scars and the most prominent of them all was the one in his face. The scarred leader of the caravan stepped forward, his voice authoritative.

"We have no reason to trust you, Kiryin. Tell me clearly where do you hail from?"

"I.. I hail from Angkor Wat." Kiryin replied, hoping this would give him some clues, since all the problems started from that temple. But hearing the name, none of the guards around had a look of revelation and in fact they looked confused.

"You think you can come up with a unknown name and wear out of sort dress and fool us?" A man who was standing behind the scarred leader shouted.

"I assure you, I mean no harm. I am as confused and lost as you might be in my world," he said, his eyes scanning the faces of the caravan's members, searching for a hint of compassion. He couldn't expect anything from the scarred leader since he didn't seem like he had any compassion or love in the first place.

One of the knights, a tall and burly man with a stern expression,  on the other side of the scarred leaders, stepped forward.

"I've seen his kind before," he interjected, his voice filled with suspicion.

"He's likely an errand boy for the bandits that dwell within these forests. A spy sent to gather information about our caravan."

A murmur of agreement rippled through the group, and the scarred leader narrowed his eyes at Kiryin.

"Is this true? Are you an informer for the bandits?"

Kiryin's eyes widened in shock and disbelief.

"No, I swear! I have no connection to any bandits. I don't even know what this place is . Please trust me, I'm just an ordinary person who ended up here by some unknown means," he pleaded, desperation lacing his voice. The scarred leader regarded Kiryin for a moment, his gaze unwavering. Finally, he spoke, his voice heavy with suspicion.

"We cannot simply take your word for it. The safety of our people is paramount. You will come with us, but as a prisoner."

"But Captain, if we bring him along, he could easily relay information to others," one of the men in the scarred leader's group protested, expressing concern.

"Yes... yes... Perhaps we should kill him right here, right now," suggested another man, echoing the sentiment of not wanting to burden the group on their journey.

"No, he won't be able to send any signals. He doesn't possess any magical abilities. Remember, a scout should always have proficiency in dark magic, and Thomas was able to detect him without even trying," the scarred leader explained, defending his decision.

"Yes, the Captain is correct. He's terrible at hiding, and a scout would never be so exposed," the man who had held the fire before chimed in, supporting the leader's argument.

"But what if this is just a ploy to gain our trust and set up an ambush later?" one of the two men, who appeared to be assistants to the leader, raised another concern. Kiryin felt a surge of frustration, wanting to punch them in the face.

"Enough! He will come with us. We have already lost many men, and he appears to be young and agile. If he is lying, we will deal with him accordingly. Bandits are not a real threat to us, to begin with. If he is telling the truth, we will assess his suitability for our group. This world is not a kind place, after all," the scarred leader asserted with authority, putting an end to the debate.

Kiryin's heart sank, his hopes of a warmer welcome shattered. He realized the gravity of the situation, knowing that convincing these strangers of his innocence would be a formidable task. Reluctantly, he complied with the knights' instructions and followed them toward the back of the wagons.

To his surprise, Kiryin noticed a small cage at the end of the last wagon. The guards swiftly unlocked the cell door and guided him inside. As he walked beneath the looming swords held by the guards, he attempted to catch glimpses of the faces of the other occupants in the luxurious wagon. However, the design of the wagon cells prevented him from obtaining a clear view. The windows were positioned and made in such a way that they allowed only a partial view of the outside, making it impossible to see inside the wagon from an external perspective.

Kiryin sighed. He felt the weight of the chains around his hands, a constant reminder of his status as a prisoner. Nobody came to talk with him and soon the caravan's wheels started turning. The only good part of the prison cell was that he was able to take in the scenery outside but also feel the hard wood under his butt and feel the hard road.

He really felt vomiting due to motion sickness.

0