7. A maid is smarter than the night
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This was Kiryin's first time witnessing a live human being die right before his eyes. When he had come to terms with the fact that he was in a medieval setting with knights and wizards, he mentally prepared himself for whatever challenges lay ahead.

The bunny encounter earlier served as a mild introduction, but witnessing an actual death brought a stark realization of how fragile human life could be. The young man's cruel demise left Kiryin weak in the knees, immediately triggering a desire to flee. However, he had forgotten a fundamental rule of his "escape" plan—he needed a calm and clear mind to execute it successfully.

"Shit," Kiryin cursed under his breath. The slugs had already served as a harsh wake-up call, and now this death added to his regret of returning to this prison-like setting. He could have gained the same knowledge elsewhere in this world. Nothing was more important than preserving his own life. Unfortunately, his mind was not calming down quickly enough.

Meanwhile, one of the slugs released a shot of corrosive mucus that landed on the first wagon, instantly melting away its structure. It was a gruesome sight, as toxic fumes began to fill the air. The maids and the butler rushed out of the wagon, the maids screaming in panic and the usually composed butler sweating profusely. Kiryin noticed that the butler would have likely screamed too if it weren't for his position.

"What the hell are you imbeciles doing? This is the Baron's wagon! Hold your ground and fend off these sluggish monsters!" The scarred leader bellowed, visibly angry at the knights and wizards who had allowed the incident to occur.

Meanwhile, the maids cried and sobbed, lacking any apparent knowledge of magic to defend themselves. Kiryin wondered why they didn't seek refuge inside the middle wagon, which seemed to be intact and spacious enough to accommodate them.

As if reading his thoughts, one of the maids suddenly had an idea and sprinted toward the prison cell. The other two maids followed suit, fixing their gaze on Kiryin, who observed them from behind the cell bars.

The maid who used to bring him food approached the prison cell with a sense of urgency, surprising Kiryin. He couldn't help but think, "Does this woman care about me so much? What a kind-hearted person." But what happened next made him realize how naïve he was. Opening the prison cell, the maid entered, followed by the two others.

"What... What are you doing?" Kiryin's voice trembled with fear as he watched them step into the prison cell.

"Scoot to the side. Your prison cell has the most sturdy roof and if the mucus does fall on the cell, we will be saved." The maid declared. Kiryin was in awe. He had never thought of it this way. Though it was a fact that Kiryin didn't know much about the prison cell, but this woman who didn't seem to be literate actually could think about the problem and find a solution in these intense moments. 

She should be promoted for this quick thinking alone. 

"But what about the side bars. It will not only fall from above, but from the side too." Kiryin asked. 

"Then we can only entrust ourselves to Nornir and hope that he blesses us, keeping us safe from danger," the maid said. Kiryin was about to ask who Nornir was, but considering the chaotic situation, he decided to remain quiet and stay out of the way.

The maid closed the prison cell after the other two maids entered. While the cell wasn't spacious enough to comfortably accommodate four people, Kiryin felt a slight relief from his anxiety as he was no longer alone. He pondered the ongoing battle and observed two more men, including a young wizard, meeting their demise. The wizard seemed skilled in water magic, based on what Kiryin could gather.

"I wonder why they're not using salt. Doesn't salt work on them?" Kiryin muttered under his breath. He felt a bit uneasy with the women around him, almost touching him, but their presence somehow alleviated his anxiety. Perhaps it was because he wasn't alone anymore, and he now felt that he could make his escape.

However, Kiryin was perplexed as to why the knights weren't utilizing salt. In his world, salt was commonly known to be effective against these creatures. He had used salt himself to eliminate them during his childhood. Maybe these slugs required a higher concentration of salt or some other specific type.

"What are you murmuring about?" the maid asked, curious about Kiryin's comments.

"Uh... Well, I'm just wondering why the warriors here aren't using salt to kill these monsters. I assume the cargo behind me contains salt, and it seems harmful to the slugs since they're avoiding this area like a plague. What I don't understand is why the warriors aren't taking advantage of it," Kiryin expressed his thoughts, finally speaking up openly for the first time since arriving in this world.

"Who told you that these slugs have a weakness to salt?" the maid inquired, her expression becoming serious as she locked eyes with Kiryin.

"I'm not certain. Where I come from, we use salt to get rid of them. However, in my hometown, these monsters are much smaller, so I can't be sure if salt is truly their weakness," Kiryin replied.

"Are you absolutely certain that salt is their weakness?" The maid's tone grew intense as she questioned him.

"As I mentioned, these monsters are very small where I come from, so I can't say for certain. But the way they're avoiding this area makes me wonder. Do you have salt inside the wagon?" Kiryin asked. The maid nodded her head, deep in thought.

Suddenly, she swiftly exited the partially open prison cell, leaving Kiryin curious about her intentions. He watched her closely, eager to see what she had in mind.

She went ahead and opened the wagon and after a second come out holding a huge pouch of bag in her hand. 

0