Chapter 28: Man in the Wood
161 3 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“William, William Reed,” the man replied. He looked completely natural, as though it was an ordinary event for a student to talk to a tree with a man’s face on it.

“Where have I heard that before?” Jacob frowned. He was pretty sure he had heard some rumors, but they seemed to have vanished from his mind just when he needed them.

“Are you the treant haunting our school?” Angela asked with some curiosity at the tree in front of her. Even though she had tried to find the source of the rumors after getting comfortable practicing her powers for the past year after awakening, she didn’t find any. All traces of the rumors seemed to be cut at one point, but today she finally found it!

William’s reply was calm, even though he was accused of being a monster. In a measured tone, he replied, “That is the exact reason I spread those rumors. I didn’t want little kids disturbing the peace in my forest.”

Angela’s eyes shone as though she had discovered a new continent. She had never seen such monsters in real life, and her experience at Four Sides of Death was shabby since the monsters there looked ugly and could not take more than two hits from her. Of course, she couldn't show her true power in front of her two teammates then, which made her experience worse.

But William’s next words killed Angela’s excitement at finding a fascinating creature.

“But little girl, no. I’m not a monster. You might not know me, but Adam, who came here and allowed this child of the dead to come to my forest filled with life, knows me.”

Jacob didn’t feel like he misheard, but…

‘Why does this man seem aggrieved at Mr. Adam, and he’s silently bearing it? And the child of the dead? Seriously?’

“Are you a teacher then?” he asked.

“Hmm…” William momentarily contemplated and calmly replied, “I can be considered one, yes. But I have nothing to teach you to those who do not know the value of life.”

Jacob once again felt it.

‘This teacher has something against me. But why?’

“Why do you say that, sir? And what did you mean by a child of the dead? My parents are very well alive!” He ignored Angela behind him as she was still tightly bound by his skeleton warriors. He was more eager to know what this teacher who obviously disliked him but didn’t hold evil intent toward him.

‘Evil intent?’ Jacob felt like he had been missing something. He tried hard to remember.

“Well, aren’t you an awakened with the power to control undead beings? Rather, don’t you summon and control them? Even your bony spike stinks of death. I don’t know what was in Adam’s mind that he allowed you to mess around in my forest filled with life….”

Jacob finally remembered. ‘My Detect Intent skill!’ He quickly used it on them and noted their colors.

He felt dumb once again for ignoring something so useful, then made it a point to look at his skills every day and think about their applications and how to increase their levels since it would improve their effects.

“But sir, doesn’t Angela also mess with your forest? If you hate me so much, I’ll leave as long as you suggest a good place to practice my talent.”

He just realized that William had seen everything he had done, including his skills and battle with Anglea. He also felt William was aware of his conversation with Mr. Adam. But since his teacher had not warned him about William, it seemed that WIlliam was not a person who would snitch on him.

The wooden face calmly replied, “She’s been here for a year by now and today was the first day she cut down a tree. What did you do? She’s also very friendly with the animals here and her favorite Tim whom you nearly killed was her friend for the past year. She would come here after college to ta-”

“Stop!” Angela screamed with blushing cheeks. She seriously shook her head even though it was tough since she was locked in place by the undead skeletons. “Please, sir! If you’ve heard it, you know how it’ll make me feel!”

Jacob didn’t pay much attention to her outburst. He felt it was normal to feel that way after having a stalking pervert overhear her intimate conversations with the animals in the forest. He was thinking about what he did on his first day in this place.

‘I put down a tree, didn’t I?’ He felt slightly embarrassed but remembered, ‘Aren’t they placed here to be put down by us newly awakened hunters? What is this old geezer hiding?’ Jacob wondered.

Even though he didn't know William’s age, he felt the man should be pretty old with those deep wrinkles on his wooden face and a tone normally found in experienced old people.

“If you think that way, then so be it.” William paused. He looked at Jacob. “Don’t you think that sharing this will help the boy look at you differently? He seems to have some misconceptions that you’re crazy.”

Angela looked at Jaocb, who finally began paying attention to her.

‘Is this woodman saying she’s not crazy?’ He looked at the wooden face gazing at him. 

‘Right, crazy people think they’re normal. So Angela should look normal to him.’

“Never mind, sir, I don’t think sharing anything with him is necessary.”

“Since you insist, let it be.”

Jacob wondered about her true nature and then let it go as well. He knew he could not force out a confession from the young lady behind him due to William’s presence, so there was no point in insisting on finding out the truth. It would come to light someday, anyways.

‘But what should I do with her?’

He looked at his captive who seemed oddly comfortable kneeling toward him with her hands behind her and locked by skeleton hands.

“Don’t you think it's time you let go of her, kid?” William asked in a measured tone.

“Of course,” Jacob nodded, awaiting the exact question. Anglea smiled at the thought of freedom and wondered if she should mention today’s incident to her father. But remembering his nature, she felt he’d freeze Jacob for a while if he didn’t kill him first.

“Let the crazy one go skellies. It seems it's not yet time for her reckoning,” Jacob declared to his faithful soldiers. They promptly unlocked Angela’s limbs and came forward to stand aside Jacob.

Even though she was released, Angela didn’t feel joyful.

“He called me crazy again,” she muttered. But remembering that she was weaker than him and telling her father would most likely put him in mortal danger, she decided to let it slide.

“Now give Tim to me,” she said while raising her hand and staring at the bony quiver from which its small eyes stared back at her. She could even imagine her friend’s joy at being reunited with her. She would send it for immediate medical care and take it to her home since this forest was no longer safe due to a certain unreasonable person.

But Jacob didn’t comply. He looked at William.

“Sir, are you sure that her father would kill me if I simply hurt her?”

Willaim calmly replied, “Yes, he’s that kind of a man.”

Jacob was disturbed, and it reflected on her face. Angela got a bad feeling at his expression.

‘So he’s an overprotective daddy. Dammit! Why do these fathers always like to spoil their daughters?’ he complained inwardly.

“I see. Since I have let go of her, do you think he’ll still come to hunt me down?”

“No, I do not think so.” William looked at Angela. “Unless she complained to him and exaggerated some details.”

Jacob asked Angela.

“Will you do that?”

Her face turned toward Tim. Realizing he was still unsafe, she shook her head, appearing honest and serious.

Jacob smirked.

“But I don’t believe you.” He asked William. “Sir, can you be a witness for me if he comes to hurt me?”

Willaim contemplated his words and replied, “Boy, why should I do that? Mind you, I do not leave this forest. And I do not want you to stay in this forest. How will I be able to help you if he gets to you outside?”

‘Dammit.’

It was Jacob’s turn to be perplexed. He was in no position of power to demand something like protection from a stranger, and the only one he could look toward for help was Adam. He took out his phone.

“Don’t bother Adam. He’s out for a mission and won’t likely return until March 1st.”

“A day before the Graduation Exam, huh….” Jacob muttered. “What do I do?” 

He looked at Angela who kept staring at her Tim in eagerness, and a slightly despicable smile formed on his lips.

“I don’t trust you to take care of Tim. I’ll help him recover and take care of him.”

Saying this, he immediately left the place with his skeletons. The three Skeleton Warriors followed him on both sides, and one walked behind him. At the same time, one Skeleton Archer took cover and remained hidden, and the Skeleton Archer with Tim walked beside him.

“Huh?” Angela’s raised hand froze at Jacob’s abrupt departure, and she remained still while looking at his leaving figure. 

“He doesn’t trust me to take care of Tim? He’ll heal Tim and take care of him?” She muttered in confusion.

The wooden face of William sighed at Angela.

Before Jacob left their sight, he turned back and shouted, “As I already told you Angela, do not bother me! I do not want to see you anymore till my graduation exam! Otherwise…” he left them hanging.

Angela repeated, “Otherwise… What is he saying?” She looked at William.

He looked at her clueless face and sighed again.

“I can’t believe he’s got a daughter like this.”

Angela knew she was being insulted, but she didn’t understand why. Still, her tolerance was greater for this tree man. Since he looked wise, she hoped he would explain what had just happened.

Seeing her persistent gaze, William relented and concisely shared his observations.

“He’s holding Tim hostage and if you bother him till the Graduation Exam, he’s planning to do something bad to Tim. Of course, I believe if you complain to your dad and he attacks Jacob in his icy fury, Tim might also be in danger. After all, your father would not dare kill Jacob after knowing how much the Cold Annihilator values him.”

Angela’s pale shook, and her eyes widened. She couldn't believe someone could do such a sinful thing to such a cute furball.

“D-despicable!” She screamed in icy fury but felt helpless since she couldn’t do anything about it. She remained on her knees and softly asked, “Sir, can you leave me alone?”

William had a complicated face, but he complied. His face vanished into the tree trunk, and Angela felt at ease knowing she was alone. She sat on her butt, wrapped her hands around her raised knees, and rested her head on her hands.

The quiet tears of a young girl went unnoticed by the world except for one newly formed wooden face a few trees away who decided to remain silent.

6