Chapter 2 – Foolish Attempt
153 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Dara's eyes were gone, shriveled up and turned to dust. The Varra Queen could see everything around Dara, and could feel the fear all these humans felt. She grinned, her fangs prominent.

"My daughter will take her own revenge when she recovers. Upon all of you for your wicked deeds. Whether it was depriving her of food, mistreating her, or punishing her for existing." 'Dara' grinned wider.  Everyone present felt some fear as the voice that came out of Dara's mouth was not her own.

"All shall feel the dread of the Eyeless."

The Varra Queen turned and calmly walked out of the compound, and fully intended to ignore all people within the clan compound.

Two short swords glanced off her skin as two gate guards tried to take her life. Her eyelids narrowed over top of her empty eye sockets, and she growled. She reached out, grasped the wrists of those guards, and ripped their arms off their bodies. She discarded the arms, and put the swords in one hand. She ignored their screams of pain, just as they had ignored Dara's all these years.

"Foolish attempt to kill someone that your clan no longer has the strength to even slow my steps." The queen snorted in disdain, and left the clan compound behind.

The gate guards to the town of Stormwall didn't bother to try and stop her, as she hadn't committed any crimes. Even when it was reported, Erik, the county governor and magistrate of Stormwall, did not permit the guards to add Dara to the wanted list.

He refused on the basis of her strength, and the fact that all her actions were self defense. Not only that, Liam and his kin were known tyrants within the town, and often flaunted their wealth as though it made them a part of the nobility.

The true nobility of the kingdom of Mabu were the ancient clans of aristocrats, and all their elders were of a much higher realm of elemental power. Gold was a necessary part of any clan, but it was at the lowest of all necessities. Beast cores were of the highest value of their resources, while gold held considerably less value than the knowledge of their scholars, and merchants. The Griels considered gold the goal, while the old nobility considered it a tool only.

Not only were these simple distinctions easy to see if one were of the noble class, but also other merchants saw them just as easily.

Power and strength. Someone who could rip a man's arm off his body was someone who should be respected.

 

* * *

 

"Where am I?" Dara whispered weakly. A soft voice entered her ear, and a dim light started to shine around her.

'You are asleep, dear child.' She said, her voice gentle. 'You could not handle the pain of the seed taking root within your body, so I had to take over and help you to survive.'

"Who are you?" Dara asked.

'The Queen of the Varra, and the last of my kind.' She felt a smile on the woman's lips, though it was an impression, and not something she could see. 'In this stage of life, we are called the Eyeless. That is why you can not see yet.'

'This world you live on, Imera, is a world rich in vital essence. Elemental essence makes up the entirety of your world, and is divided into six different spheres. Our kind needs this essence to stay strong, and to make more of ourselves.' She sighed sadly. 'On my world, the vital essence was drained away, and we were left on a wasted world to die. I sent my seed, and the last of my strength to this world, and found you.'

"Why me?" Dara asked.

'For one simple reason. Your spirit is greatly desirable, and the humans do not want you. You shall be my child, and you will grow strong enough to destroy that entire family on your own.' The queen said softly.

"Will I ever be able to see you?" Dara whispered. This woman was kind to her, and gentle.

'No. I am already dead, and this last wisp of energy is already fading. I have left instincts within your mind, and memories to read when you grow strong enough.' The voice took one last breath. 'The beasts in the forest shall be your food. Absorb their stones, and their life.'

'Grow....strong...my....precious....daughter.' The voice faded into nothingness, and Dara felt more alone than ever before.

"Mom. Don't go."

 

* * *

 

The Varra Queen's life was done. She came to this world to see that her people did not die out. The seed given to Dara was the last one in the entire universe.

The Varra seeds were to be given to a child at the age of twelve, and she would go into hibernation to protect her mind from the agony of the seed being rooted into her body.

Dara did not have someone to help her go into hibernation, and she was in enemy territory. The queen helped by taking over her body, and taking her outside the town of Stormwall.

Now that she was awake, the seed continued to take root within her, sending waves of agony throughout her body. The roots spread from her belly, along her arms, spine, and down her thighs.

Once fully rooted, the seed would become her elemental core, and the roots her elementary channels. She would gain more power than anyone upon that world, but the price was a heavy one.

She was without eyes, like her ancestors before her, and would stay like that until she matured into the next stage of life. Her human teeth fell out, and new fangs grew in their place, causing her further pain as her fangs were now rooted to the seed.

Her fingernails fell out, and claws pierced out through the fingertip. Her toenails did the same, while the bottom of her feet became tougher, and harder to harm through walking on rough terrain.

Dara sat up after a few hours, and inhaled a strong scent in the air.

"Oh, mom, I can smell the food out there!" Dara grinned, her mouth full of bloodied fangs, and beyond creepy looking.

The food she spoke about was a wolf that just walked into the clearing.

It was time to hunt.

 

* * *

 

As Dara moved through the underbrush, she walked more like a beast of the forest. With arms out to the sides so she could move sideways easily, her hip joints allowed her thighs to move alongside her body, and even allowed her knees to sit higher than her body. This was not something she had been built for, as it was far too agile. She could also use her feet and legs to move sideways even in this lowered position.

A normal human would need years of training to have even half this level of agility, but not only did she move like that, her legs could move outward in a splits maneuver. That was from a standing position, and even a crouching one with her knees close to her chest.

"Unnatural." Dara whispered. She inhaled through her nose, and at the same time, her tongue darted out. She grinned, her long fangs growing in response to her hunger, and the presence of prey.

As soon as the wolf growled, her instincts reared up. She dashed forward, and the two bodies collided. Her barely hundred pound body made the powerful beast roll from the impact.

Before it could attack, long claws dug into its hide, and long fangs sank into its neck. The wolf could not rise as those fangs ripped out a chunk of fur, and sank into its flesh again.

Decadent sounds of slurping and moaning could be heard from Dara as she fed on the wolf's vital essence. When the wolf was too weak to respond in any way, she sliced open its hide, and began to eat the raw bloodied meat.

The wolf died knowing that it was beaten by a much stronger predator, and it didn't have a chance. This was confirmed as Dara's body healed while she ate the wolf's meat.

Muscle hardened, and the former 'stick thin' appearance disappeared. Dara was no longer the abandoned child of the Griels. She was the daughter of the Queen of the Varra, easily overpowered a rank one flame wolf, and she was only beginning to recover.

What kind of monster would she be when she was fully recovered? Or how strong would she be at her peak?

 

0