Chapter 11:Twin stars
2.2k 10 59
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Master! Master! I think I broke my breakthrough destiny!"

Elizabeth did not have to say anything, Samuel had felt the shockwave coming from the training field. It was only a microscopic tremor as the training field was designed for him and not her. But that she could make him feel anything at all was worth his attention. In a single step, he simply moved from his study to the training yard.

Before him stood Elizabeth, but she was completely fine if winded. That was to be expected, she was wearing clothes he had handcrafted and unless she somehow created a nascent soul ability she would not be affected by any mishap. What he instead looked at were the props he had brought in for her train or the lack thereof.

All that was left in the field was a spiral of frost and scorched earth. The floor itself was fine but everything else he had set up for her to play around with her powers was simply gone. Samuel knew what caused this and if it was what he had thought it was, Elizabeth had the potential to be one of most powerful cultivators in existence, and he included himself and any other master in that statement.

Elizabeth looked at the field, proud of her work but at the same time looking at her hands confused as to why she could not use her fire and ice abilities. Samuel knew why.

Now to tell or not to tell. This time it was not a matter of him being aloof and keeping his disciple from surpassing him. He was genuinely worried about the interest she may garner because of her frankly absurd power. 

He chose truth in the end, she trusted him to hand him her life on a silver platter, and he should be able to trust her the same.

"You cannot use your fire or ice abilities can you?"

"No. Is that attack, something that uses up your essence that much? But I feel fine, just a bit tired from all the exercise."

Elizabeth was right to be curious, Samuel had told her that her gifted ability was that of extra essence types and nothing more. That was why her 'water' essence's natural state was ice and not just water, this scenario was out of his mind that he had self-justified it to be normal for Elizabeth.

Looking at her with a solemn expression, he said.

"Elizabeth. What you have done here cannot escape this room." Then he waited for the obvious...

"Why?" She too looked serious and worried now.

"You know what breakthrough destinies are, correct?"

"Yes. You told me that they are like special abilities masters and their cauldrons have access to them. Masters get one every time they ascend to a new stage and a cauldron gets more 'parts' for the one they got from giving themselves up."

She answered beautifully, behind that crazy exterior lay a rather exquisite mind, if only it was used correctly. But that did not matter at this moment, what mattered was that he got his point across.

"You are correct. But there are some extra titbits I did not mention because I thought they would not be relevant. Turns out, they have become very relevant. See, breakthrough destinies come in three varieties, epic, legendary or mythic. Epic ones are the average, they supplement what you already do in a major way."

"Like the dual elemental essence manipulation I got from you!" She interrupted trying to show she was following along.

"Yes and no. See, legendary ones are exponentially more powerful and are abilities that can act on their own. They become additions to what you can do."

To give an example, the blue massacre. a sword made from his own soul essence as a breakthrough destiny popped into existence.

"This can act on its own, has a wide selection of unique abilities, and does not consume any essence on my part to work. It is in effect a separate entity that helps me, be it combat or otherwise."

Elizabeth was listening very intently now, sure that there was some sort of climax to this. His speech made him sound this way.

To add a bit of gravitas, he made two small extremely luminous orbs on the palm of his hands, one yellow and red the other white and blue.

Elizabeth's eyes widened at the image as he continued.

"Finally, we have the rarest and the most powerful of all destinies, the mythic ones. See unlike, the others they are not augmented by you. No, instead you become augmented by them. They break all forms of normalcy and warp reality around them. An example, they might be able to give a metal core, fire, and ice properties as well as act as separate containers and generators of said properties. Now imagine that they evolve every time you ascend in ranks instead of just scaling up to your level. What could one do with that level of power?"

Elizabeth visibly gulped, unsure of herself she started looking at her hands, completely flawless after her ascension like they were not even hers.

"Yes. As you can imagine, it is an absurd level of power that in your case can grow to unpredictable heights."

"Umm... Does that mean you have it too?"

"Yes. And I can tell you this power, even though it is mine, is grafted with a piece of my own soul. Terrifies me."

"So... now what?"

"I will bench the plan for getting your sister."

"Hey!"

"By your own admission, she has yet to reach her age of maturity and I would like to first make sure you do not vaporize your fellow disciples by mistake."

"But I already don't turn into fire or explode into ice. I was steady for the whole conversation!"

Samuel only gave her a helpless smile.

"That is only because you used their strongest ability, the Collision of two suns. Give it an hour, your power will be back to full."

"Wait! Really! That feels a bit excessive... like the explosion was huge. Like I am pretty sure that if we were not in an indoor training ground, it would be seen from everywhere. That sort of destruction... should not be so easy to get..."

"Scared yet."

Elizabeth looked at Samuel with a sense of pride.

"No. Because I have you, my master."

"Gah! There is no winning with you. Fine, let's get started. You should be ready by the time the sect tournament starts rolling around. I will show off then."

"Awww! You are already proud of me!"

Samuel sighed but he could not help but smirk. They were much more chaotic, but somehow, the days felt more fulfilling.

 

 

 

 

59